Rolling Stone: How Madonna’s “Into The Groove” Summed Up The History of Dance Music With One Song

2 hours ago, androiduser said:

I know hardcore fans will disagree, but I think it's largely because Madonna's work in the 90's and 2000's was often based on / inspired by  already existing underground music, so it's more logical to acknowledge the artists who originated the sound before Madonna. Madonna's music in the early 80's was less referential.

Very good point. Her earlier albums were mostly comprised of more original compositions aside the noticeable pop culture inspirational references she made in a few of her songs and videos at the time.

I’m not sure I’d agree with that. If you listen to a lot of r n’b, soul and boogie from 1978-1982, all of Madonna’s earliest material is inspired by and derivative of those genres. Reggie Lucas is literally one of the architects of that sound, and Madonna was a regular at clubs where Larry Levan, Jellybean and champions of the genre DJ’d. It’s mostly a case of that music not making it to the pop mainstream because the genre was considered black, and neither radio nor burgeoning video channels and programming like MTV would play it. Where Into The Groove and much of Nile’s electronic influence on Like A Virgin differs is in the slow infusion of techno, which was also already big in black clubs in Chicago and NY. In this sense, Into The Groove is a blueprint for the future of mainstream dance pop. 

Also, I posted this literally three hours before this post by Chihuahua with the video embedded. It helps to take the time to check if something has already been shared. 😎

25 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I’m not sure I’d agree with that. If you listen to a lot of r n’b, soul and boogie from 1978-1982, all of Madonna’s earliest material is inspired by and derivative of those genres. Reggie Lucas is literally one of the architects of that sound, and Madonna was a regular at clubs where Larry Levan, Jellybean and champions of the genre DJ’d. It’s mostly a case of that music not making it to the pop mainstream because the genre was considered black, and neither radio nor burgeoning video channels and programming like MTV would play it. Where Into The Groove and much of Nile’s electronic influence on Like A Virgin differs is in the slow infusion of techno, which was also already big in black clubs in Chicago and NY. In this sense, Into The Groove is a blueprint for the future of mainstream dance pop. 

Also, I posted this literally three hours before this post by Chihuahua with the video embedded. It helps to take the time to check if something has already been shared. 😎

Honestly, we can say this about anyone's work.  Most artists' work (even the most original of them) are somewhat inspired or derivative from past sounds,  influences and recent popular genres, etc. I guess my thought is that she wasn't really sampling anyone or directly lifting sounds from others during those days. Also, her lyrics were usually hers if not a collaboration of her producers of the time (other than the obvious that were written by other song writers). The point her music compositions or lyrics whether written by her not, weren't lifted from other works nor part of any songs in the past.  Unlike the samples she started to using in her songs as early as 1990.  

13 hours ago, Alibaba said:

jimmy fallon thank you GIF

FINALLY. Someone who actually knows their music history.

The roots of Madonna's music in funk, R&B, disco, etc. ("Black music") is so far too often misunderstood, or outright dismissed. "Into The Groove" is the perfect example of that long held inspiration and evolution in her early work...and it truly became one of, if not THE, defining 'dance pop' songs of all time. The amount of things written about this single song since has solidified that fact. There's a real reason why ITG is often referred to as one of the single defining songs of the 1980s.

Not to mention the first two albums period, particularly LAV (the album). It's become far to prevalent to dismiss her early work, when this work not only launched her into the stratosphere, but defined the culture unlike anything quite before...and why every pop bitch in the game has tried to replicate it since. To truly understand it, in the context of the times, is necessary to understanding what the entire Madonna ethos is built upon (and pop in general since). It's 'Madonna 101' but some refuse to take the course. And it shows.

Also, a lot of these comments are clearly coming from folks who did not live through the 80s... If you knew, you knew.

ITG is an eternal ANTHEM. There's a reason it gets the response it does on the current tour, from the very first few iconic notes.

The song that made me a fan. I already owned Holiday but Into the groove was something else, until then most if Madonna's output, minus Burning Up, was very RnB, Into the groove infused it with a New Wave sound, there are hints of New Order in ITG. It's also a special song in Madonna's catalog because it's the first track she was officially credited as a co-producer. If Madonna's tracks until then were more Roxy and Funhiuse inspired, ITG was pure Danceteria. The track has been praised by Debbie Harry, Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys...It's probably the sound she had in mind fot LAV before she was forced to have a big name producer working on it by Warner.  ITG is Madonna's first record in her own terms. And because of its huge success in Europe, she was given (almost) free reign to produce her third album. 

8 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

The song that made me a fan. I already owned Holiday but Into the groove was something else, until then most if Madonna's output, minus Burning Up, was very RnB, Into the groove infused it with a New Wave sound, there are hints of New Order in ITG. It's also a special song in Madonna's catalog because it's the first track she was officially credited as a co-producer. If Madonna's tracks until then were more Roxy and Funhiuse inspired, ITG was pure Danceteria. The track has been praised by Debbie Harry, Patti Smith, Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys...It's probably the sound she had in mind fot LAV before she was forced to have a big name producer working on it by Warner.  ITG is Madonna's first record in her own terms. And because of its huge success in Europe, she was given (almost) free reign to produce her third album. 

12 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

jimmy fallon thank you GIF

FINALLY. Someone who actually knows their music history.

The roots of Madonna's music in funk, R&B, disco, etc. ("Black music") is so far too often misunderstood, or outright dismissed. "Into The Groove" is the perfect example of that long held inspiration and evolution in her early work...and it truly became one of, if not THE, defining 'dance pop' songs of all time. The amount of things written about this single song since has solidified that fact. There's a real reason why ITG is often referred to as one of the single defining songs of the 1980s.

Not to mention the first two albums period, particularly LAV (the album). It's become far to prevalent to dismiss her early work, when this work not only launched her into the stratosphere, but defined the culture unlike anything quite before...and why every pop bitch in the game has tried to replicate it since. To truly understand it, in the context of the times, is necessary to understanding what the entire Madonna ethos is built upon (and pop in general since). It's 'Madonna 101' but some refuse to take the course. And it shows.

Also, a lot of these comments are clearly coming from folks who did not live through the 80s... If you knew, you knew.

ITG is an eternal ANTHEM. There's a reason it gets the response it does on the current tour, from the very first few iconic notes.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:26 PM, Alibaba said:

Well thank you all for these three posts. They were a useful and educational perspective I hadn't been afforded prior. I quite enjoyed reading these and hearing the passion.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:26 PM, Alibaba said:

I agree w/the last statement for sure. Fwiw house is what came out of Chicago in the early 80s, though it was still sort of in its infancy and regional in 84. M would make some house records a few years later as we all know.

The techno you’re thinking of came out of Detroit a little later, but the term techno in the very early 80s was first applied to (mostly) UK synth pop. I can hear that vibe (guitars and synths new wave) on a lot of the LAV album. It’s primarily live musicians. There’s some r&b and Motown throwback too. Similar combo as Bowie‘s Let’s Dance (obviously). Overall it was an attempt to move away from the post-disco of her debut.

To me ITG is very much a mid 80s NYC club record. I think she took some inspiration from Shannon’s Let The Music Play, which had blown up around the same time as Holiday. That 5 note synth line in the chorus of ITG is very similar to LTMP. She definitely took that vibe in her own direction though. And don’t forget when she initially worked on it she thought it was going to Mark Kamins. She was writing a club record for a dj/producer as a thank you, like Sidewalk Talk. It just ended up taking on a whole different life than she’d planned on.

54 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I agree w/the last statement for sure. Fwiw house is what came out of Chicago in the early 80s, though it was still sort of in its infancy and regional in 84. M would make some house records a few years later as we all know.

The techno you’re thinking of came out of Detroit a little later, but the term techno in the very early 80s was first applied to (mostly) UK synth pop. I can hear that vibe (guitars and synths new wave) on a lot of the LAV album. It’s primarily live musicians. There’s some r&b and Motown throwback too. Similar combo as Bowie‘s Let’s Dance (obviously). Overall it was an attempt to move away from the post-disco of her debut.

To me ITG is very much a mid 80s NYC club record. I think she took some inspiration from Shannon’s Let The Music Play, which had blown up around the same time as Holiday. That 5 note synth line in the chorus of ITG is very similar to LTMP. She definitely took that vibe in her own direction though. And don’t forget when she initially worked on it she thought it was going to Mark Kamins. She was writing a club record for a dj/producer as a thank you, like Sidewalk Talk. It just ended up taking on a whole different life than she’d planned on.

You’re right. It was a poor choice of genre to use techno. I meant house music. 🙏🏼

On 3/28/2024 at 1:59 PM, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I find it so funny that they chose this song as one of her best songs. I love it, but it's a bit vapid!

But most dance music could be considered 'vapid', although I think it should be considered less 'vapid' and more simple and straightforward.  It's not meant to be intellectual, it's meant to be sexy and physical.  That's why so much dance music is so repetitive and hypnotic, with only a few lines.  You find that in a lot of house/techno/jungle/whatever, that vocals tend towards just a few simple phrases, repeated over and over.  The vocal is almost just another instrument . 

Obviously, some acts blend dance music into pop music, and then you get more conventional pop song structure, sometimes with a little more substance, which is where we get Madonna, Deee-Lite, Pet Shop Boys, even early Bjork.  

ITG was the first Madonna track that was cloned : Alisha's Baby Talk, Regina's Baby Love, E.G Daily's Say It, Say It which pissed Madonna off hence why she made the conscious effort to stire away from that sound on True Blue and maybe why Each Time and Spotlight did not make the cut since they share the same structure. She revisited it with Commotion though because at the time of TB release fans complained that she had abandonned her club roots, that's where the YCD project came from and she probably made Commotion in that regard too. Like Neil Tennant said, it sums up the 80's where a diy underground beat meets the mainstream.