Mirwais Q&A on Instagram

2 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

So Mirwais did a Q&A on his Instagram Stories and he of course talked about Madonna. The most interesting things:

-His fav Madonna collaboration is American Life (song).

-He would love to do an updated American Life (album). 

-Can’t You See My Mind is different from Die Another Day and it’s NOT a ballad. 

-His fav Madonna production is Die Another Day. 

-It’s true that the first version of X-Static Process was electro. 

-There are some unreleased songs.

-He learned patience from Madonna and she learned patience from him.

-There’s a version of Paradise with Letitia Casta (recorded before Madonna entered the picture) but Madonna changed it and her version is the best version of the song. 

-He would love to work with her again.

Wow ... I'm so curious about the unreleased tracks (we know there is one called React and now Can't you see my mind and the electro version of Xtatic Process).

Said that, I'm not a huge fan specifically of their writing together when it comes to acoustic stuff, they're good in making noicey and dancey stuff: I agree about Die another day being among the best M productions, but I think their electrofolk songs are melodically too basic and, even when good like Love Profusion or I deserve it, it has a strong influence on the result.

I think their best collab in terms of creativity is the Music album (Music, Impressive instant, Nobody's perfect - when vocoder seems saying something nd not just put there without a reason, Paradise, Don't tell me), their work on Madame X had points of exellence (BATUKA - such a gem and, yes, it's all about how the sounds reinforce the soul and the spirit of the whole message, Extreme Occident, Killers, I don't search I find, Ciao Bella)  and very low and messy failures in terms of experimentation (God control and, the most guilty one :lol:, Dark ballet, wich would have been such a good track herself). 

Interesting

so like all this time we were sure that Can’t You See My Mind / Die Another Day is a same song

even the man behind Thunderpuss kind a confirmed it

he said it was the same and label did it just to avoid the leak and any info

"Once again in 2002 we were invited by Caresse Henry (Madonna’s manager at the time) to her office to discuss remixing Madonna’s new song from the upcoming James Bond Movie.

Caresse told us that the movie producers actually wanted her to do a ballad but she said no.
We were told this song was called “Can’t You See My Mind” at the time to (keep everything secretive i suppose), were hand given the parts on C.D. and went to work at our studio."

and now Can’t You See My Mind is different from Die Another Day and it’s NOT a ballad. 

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

15 minutes ago, Askeroff said:

Interesting

so like all this time we were sure that Can’t You See My Mind / Die Another Day is a same song

even the man behind Thunderpuss kind a confirmed it

he said it was the same and label did it just to avoid the leak and any info

"Once again in 2002 we were invited by Caresse Henry (Madonna’s manager at the time) to her office to discuss remixing Madonna’s new song from the upcoming James Bond Movie.

Caresse told us that the movie producers actually wanted her to do a ballad but she said no.
We were told this song was called “Can’t You See My Mind” at the time to (keep everything secretive i suppose), were hand given the parts on C.D. and went to work at our studio."

and now Can’t You See My Mind is different from Die Another Day and it’s NOT a ballad. 

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

Go out and buy "The Music of James Bond" by John Burlingame.

Work began on the song early in 2002, according to French Michel Colombier, who wrote and conducted the string arrangement, Colombier (a veteran composer whose credits included the pop symphony Wings and film scores for White Nights and Against All Odds) had recently worked with Madonna and her Paris-based producer Mirwais Ahmadzaï on their album Music, supplying the string arrangement for the song "Don't Tell Me.
Madonna and Mirwais (as he was known professionally) were working on her next studio album when the call came from "the Bond people, Colombier said. One of the songs they were working on "could maybe work for it," Mirwais told Colombier; they sent a demo to the studio that was "this techno thing," an electronica piece rewritten to accommodate the film and the title. According to Colombier, the studio responded: "We love the song, but can you bridge it to the tradition of Bond in some way?" That's when Madonna and Mirwais called Colombier to help.
MGM sent Colombier (who was in Los Angeles) a rough edit of the opening of the film. "I knew that I had to do something film-score-esque; he said. Mirwais sent Colombier a long version of the Madonna-Mirwais track, Colombier wrote "a bunch of things to it" and then flew to London to conduct an ensemble of 60 string players at AIR Studios. From there, Mirwais took the track back to Paris and then did "a complete production job," Colombier said. "What you hear is not what I wrote. The way that it came out is completely Mirwais. He is a master manipulator. Sixty real strings, played live, became audio files in his computer. They can be chopped like pieces of fabric. He's amazingly brilliant with that."
Colombier also designed an instrumental version of the theme for possible use over the end titles. Madonna attended the recording session in London, he noted. "In the instrumental version, there is a moment when I went into almost a tango feeling. At the rehearsal, they did it extremely well, instinctively. When we started doing the take, it just lost the 'fire.' Madonna, in the booth, grabbed the talkback mic and told them, It's not sexy enough, think about sex!' She really participates."
Colombier's rich string arrangement provided the drama, especially in the opening measures before Madonna's vocal enters. Her cryptic lyrics were a curiosity ("I'm gonna keep this secret / I'm gonna close my body now . . .") but Mirwais's electronica sounds, which dominate the track, made "Die Another Day" the most sonically edgy Bond theme ever. (Soon afterward, Madonna asked Colombier to score her film Swept Away, which would be released later in 2002, a month before the Bond film.)
The track apparently went through various incarnations. "We went through several interpolations of it." producer Michael G. Wilson later said, "but I think when she saw the rough material we were going to use, she sort of adapted the song and changed the title to 'Die Another Day." Added director Lee Tamahori: "When I first heard it, I was a little concerned because it seemed to have stops and starts and didn't seem to be that evocative. But she rewrote--the chorus was written for the movie, and I think it's made quite a profound difference."
As Madonna herself said before the film's release: "I hemmed and hawed about it for a while. Everybody wants to do the theme song of a James Bond movie, and I never like to do what everybody else likes to do. It's just some perverse thing in me. But then I thought about it and I said, you know what? James Bond needs to get techno.
Years later, she praised Colombier's contribution: "Mirwais brought Michel to me. That song is so cinematic; I'm so excited when I get to work with a live orchestra. Those strings in Die Another Day' are chilling and, because of that, it's one of my favorite songs."

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Go out and buy "The Music of James Bond" by John Burlingame.

Work began on the song early in 2002, according to French Michel Colombier, who wrote and conducted the string arrangement, Colombier (a veteran composer whose credits included the pop symphony Wings and film scores for White Nights and Against All Odds) had recently worked with Madonna and her Paris-based producer Mirwais Ahmadzaï on their album Music, supplying the string arrangement for the song "Don't Tell Me.
Madonna and Mirwais (as he was known professionally) were working on her next studio album when the call came from "the Bond people, Colombier said. One of the songs they were working on "could maybe work for it," Mirwais told Colombier; they sent a demo to the studio that was "this techno thing," an electronica piece rewritten to accommodate the film and the title. According to Colombier, the studio responded: "We love the song, but can you bridge it to the tradition of Bond in some way?" That's when Madonna and Mirwais called Colombier to help.
MGM sent Colombier (who was in Los Angeles) a rough edit of the opening of the film. "I knew that I had to do something film-score-esque; he said. Mirwais sent Colombier a long version of the Madonna-Mirwais track, Colombier wrote "a bunch of things to it" and then flew to London to conduct an ensemble of 60 string players at AIR Studios. From there, Mirwais took the track back to Paris and then did "a complete production job," Colombier said. "What you hear is not what I wrote. The way that it came out is completely Mirwais. He is a master manipulator. Sixty real strings, played live, became audio files in his computer. They can be chopped like pieces of fabric. He's amazingly brilliant with that."
Colombier also designed an instrumental version of the theme for possible use over the end titles. Madonna attended the recording session in London, he noted. "In the instrumental version, there is a moment when I went into almost a tango feeling. At the rehearsal, they did it extremely well, instinctively. When we started doing the take, it just lost the 'fire.' Madonna, in the booth, grabbed the talkback mic and told them, It's not sexy enough, think about sex!' She really participates."
Colombier's rich string arrangement provided the drama, especially in the opening measures before Madonna's vocal enters. Her cryptic lyrics were a curiosity ("I'm gonna keep this secret / I'm gonna close my body now . . .") but Mirwais's electronica sounds, which dominate the track, made "Die Another Day" the most sonically edgy Bond theme ever. (Soon afterward, Madonna asked Colombier to score her film Swept Away, which would be released later in 2002, a month before the Bond film.)
The track apparently went through various incarnations. "We went through several interpolations of it." producer Michael G. Wilson later said, "but I think when she saw the rough material we were going to use, she sort of adapted the song and changed the title to 'Die Another Day." Added director Lee Tamahori: "When I first heard it, I was a little concerned because it seemed to have stops and starts and didn't seem to be that evocative. But she rewrote--the chorus was written for the movie, and I think it's made quite a profound difference."
As Madonna herself said before the film's release: "I hemmed and hawed about it for a while. Everybody wants to do the theme song of a James Bond movie, and I never like to do what everybody else likes to do. It's just some perverse thing in me. But then I thought about it and I said, you know what? James Bond needs to get techno.
Years later, she praised Colombier's contribution: "Mirwais brought Michel to me. That song is so cinematic; I'm so excited when I get to work with a live orchestra. Those strings in Die Another Day' are chilling and, because of that, it's one of my favorite songs."

Excellent book

4 hours ago, Adonna said:

My guess, these could very well be songs that leaked already.  It would be interesting to know if there is anything that we haven't heard yet that hasn't leaked! He also may not be aware what all has leaked.

He’s aware I believe.

Also we know Hollywood was a track from the Music session that went in different stages before the track we know. 

1 hour ago, cosmic_system said:

He’s aware I believe.

Also we know Hollywood was a track from the Music session that went in different stages before the track we know. 

Yeah i remember it's been stated its a song or lyrics she's had since the 90s...there's also My Ejector was allegedly was going to be the b-side to Hollywood and is supposedly very similar musically to the track American Life. There's also Adverse Youth.

PLUS

Idk if anyone remembers but preorders for the Japanese version of the album had a mysterious track called Trick. This is interesting because obviously it was removed and some claim it was an error. I firmly believe Trick is the leaked track The Game. The AL songs all had weird titles that either were never mentioned in lyrics or mentioned only once like Intervention, X-Static Process, Mother & Father, and Easy Ride. The Game mentions the word "trick" once and it was the first leak from the AL sessions we ever got in 2008. 

I could talk all day about what a poor producer Mirwais is and how is 2 albums with M are IMO her worst ( AL and MX) especially AL with its lo-fi sound and choppy editing - it’s like they produced some good acoustic sound and he just went in and cut and paste it into a mess not to mention overall his sound is very cold and dull - I really hope she doesn’t ever work with him again sorry - the only album I liked with him was some of music and I quite like DAD 

56 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah i remember it's been stated its a song or lyrics she's had since the 90s...there's also My Ejector was allegedly was going to be the b-side to Hollywood and is supposedly very similar musically to the track American Life. There's also Adverse Youth.

PLUS

Idk if anyone remembers but preorders for the Japanese version of the album had a mysterious track called Trick. This is interesting because obviously it was removed and some claim it was an error. I firmly believe Trick is the leaked track The Game. The AL songs all had weird titles that either were never mentioned in lyrics or mentioned only once like Intervention, X-Static Process, Mother & Father, and Easy Ride. The Game mentions the word "trick" once and it was the first leak from the AL sessions we ever got in 2008. 

Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken.  There was no such thing as what you said regarding "Japanese version of the album" including a song called "Trick".  I would remember being I was right there when this album leaked and it became available.  It was pretty chaotic and artists were fighting hard in keeping things from leaking, which basically failed.  Even so, I don't believe it has anything to do with the track "Game".  American Life was a time where mp3 pirating and leaks were happening.  Madonna fought back with a few voice audios which were deterring it such as her saying, "What the fuck are you doing?", etc.  I'm betting you're "Trick" claim has something to do with that.  

7 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken.  There was no such thing as what you said regarding "Japanese version of the album" including a song called "Trick".  I would remember being I was right there when this album leaked and it became available.  It was pretty chaotic and artists were fighting hard in keeping things from leaking, which basically failed.  Even so, I don't believe it has anything to do with the track "Game".  American Life was a time where mp3 pirating and leaks were happening.  Madonna fought back with a few voice audios which were deterring it such as her saying, "What the fuck are you doing?", etc.  I'm betting you're "Trick" claim has something to do with that.  

To clarify my post because your response implies it wasn't clear, there were some preorders on music sites in Japan (not sure if it was Amazon or maybe national music shops in Japan) put out a tracklist that included a bonus track that was labeled Trick. Obviously they were never printed and it could've been a mistake or it could've been a Queen scenario where it was listed scenario then just didnt happen.

12 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Whoa what's even weirder is trying to google this! A message board from 2003 and someone mentions it but it doesnt make sense

https://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2336

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

To clarify my post because your response implies it wasn't clear, there were some preorders on music sites in Japan (not sure if it was Amazon or maybe national music shops in Japan) put out a tracklist that included a bonus track that was labeled Trick. Obviously they were never printed and it could've been a mistake or it could've been a Queen scenario where it was listed scenario then just didnt happen.

Never heard of such and I was very active when this album leaked and was released. Keep in mind, "Pre-ordering" was a rare thing at the time, so again there is confusion regarding her audio recording trying to "trick" people who are trying to download her album illegally through peer networks at the time

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Whoa what's even weirder is trying to google this! A message board from 2003 and someone mentions it but it doesnt make sense

https://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2336

Can you specify the actual post you're referring to with this link?  Not sure which one you're referring to regarding your claim? :)

40 minutes ago, Adonna said:

Never heard of such and I was very active when this album leaked and was released. Keep in mind, "Pre-ordering" was a rare thing at the time, so again there is confusion regarding her audio recording trying to "trick" people who are trying to download her album illegally through peer networks at the time

Can you specify the actual post you're referring to with this link?  Not sure which one you're referring to regarding your claim? :)

I was very active too and it's one of those things that since it never happened fans just forgot kinda like how japan also initially had a different tracklist for GHV2 that included Rain and another point the live versions of Holiday + Music (which was INITIALLY goint to be on the standard then become a Japan exclusive then didnt happen). 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I was very active too and it's one of those things that since it never happened fans just forgot kinda like how japan also initially had a different tracklist for GHV2 that included Rain and another point the live versions of Holiday + Music (which was INITIALLY goint to be on the standard then become a Japan exclusive then didnt happen). 

I would have remembered. There was no pre-order for a Japanese version with "Trick" listed on the album. I also know that some fans remember things that they wish happened that never happened. :)

51 minutes ago, Adonna said:

FYI i don't believe this person because it would've leaked by now but it's the only thing i could find that mentions "Trick". As far as I remember, it was on Japanese music shop sites as a Japan only bonus track then was removed off the tracklist on this sites. If i can find an archived site that shows I will post but as of right now that's the only proof I have of at least the existence of the title Trick. For all we know it was miscommunication and that's why it was removed off those Japanese sites. Also, there is a poster from Japan mentioning a stand alone DVD release. Keep in mind up until the video was pulled there was going to be a CD+DVD version so it could've been just a stand alone version of that.

Screenshot_20240715_192853_Chrome.jpg

image.png.9fcd88e3571432acf7175d5b6d2dca3b.png

5 minutes ago, Adonna said:

I would have remembered. There was no pre-order for a Japanese version with "Trick" listed on the album. I also know that some fans remember things that they wish happened that never happened. :)

Obviously you don't remember lol so watch your tone and accept that just because YOU don't remember something doesnt mean it didnt happen or that there wasnt at the very least a rumor.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Obviously you don't remember lol so watch your tone and accept that just because YOU don't remember something doesnt mean it didnt happen or that there wasnt at the very least a rumor.

Tone?  I offered a smile and you know we always have a cordial conversation. And yes, I would recall such.  To me, you've offered something that simply was made up by some fan, and when I tried to share that in a friendly manner, you seem to get overly sensitive over it.  If such a track was listed, more fans would have mentioned it and shown more proof to it by now.  :)

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

FYI i don't believe this person because it would've leaked by now but it's the only thing i could find that mentions "Trick". As far as I remember, it was on Japanese music shop sites as a Japan only bonus track then was removed off the tracklist on this sites. If i can find an archived site that shows I will post but as of right now that's the only proof I have of at least the existence of the title Trick. For all we know it was miscommunication and that's why it was removed off those Japanese sites. Also, there is a poster from Japan mentioning a stand alone DVD release. Keep in mind up until the video was pulled there was going to be a CD+DVD version so it could've been just a stand alone version of that.

Screenshot_20240715_192853_Chrome.jpg

image.png.9fcd88e3571432acf7175d5b6d2dca3b.png

Where does this prove "TRICK" was in the track listing?  This is obviously addressing her recorded audios which "trick" people when they think they are downloading one of her tracks from that era. It's pretty clear!  LOL!

1 minute ago, Adonna said:

Tone?  I offered a smile and you know we always have a cordial conversation. And yes, I would recall such.  To me, you've offered something that simply was made up by some fan. Plain and simple.  If such a track came up more fans would have mentioned it by now.  :)

...your tone is incredibly condescending as if I'm making it up just because YOU don't remember. It's been 20 years and since it didnt happen and since it was only on Japanese sites of course it's gonna be an obscure piece of trivia that's not gonna be remembered in the mainstream consciousness of fans. I don't think YOU would like it if i acted as if you pulled something out of your butt just because i didnt remember or didnt hear about it.