"Immaculate Collection": Which track would you have replaced?

Holger

3 hours ago, missberic said:

The edit of Cherish on TIC literally cuts out the best part of the song, how can you find it more enjoyable? :dead: 

You mean like “can’t get where I won’t let youuuuu”? That part’s cute but the thing is I despise the adult contemporary jangle pop vibe of the original. The IC mix kind of downplays that and enhances the synth elements of the arrangement, which is why I prefer it. 🤷‍♂️

I mean I low key always wish there had been a greatest hits after Who's That Girl in the summer of 88 where she was absent for a year instead of You Can Dance All the singles would fit on one disc with some clever edits. It's utterly perfect and an absolute romp.

Imagine Spotlight as a Greatest Hits lead!! This is really the end of the first chapter of Madonna Like A Prayer to Bedtime Story is Chapter 2. 

1. Everybody
  2. Burning Up
  3. Holiday
  4. Lucky Star
  5. Borderline
  6. Like A Virgin
  7. Material Girl
  8. Crazy For You
  9. Angel
  10. Into The Groove
  11. Dress You Up
  12. Gambler
  13. Live To Tell
  14. Papa Don't Preach
  15. True Blue
  16. Open Your Heart
  17. La Isla Bonita
  18. Who's That Girl
  19. Causing A Commotion
  20. The Look Of Love 
  21. Spotlight

But then we wouldn't have got You Can Dance the Shep Into The Groove and probably not Justify My Love & Rescue Me.

I do hope when they do an eras retrospective this kind of album will appear. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:33 PM, MikeyK said:

You mean like “can’t get where I won’t let youuuuu”? That part’s cute but the thing is I despise the adult contemporary jangle pop vibe of the original. The IC mix kind of downplays that and enhances the synth elements of the arrangement, which is why I prefer it. 🤷‍♂️

Bye ✌️ 

I would never replace Cherish. It's such an important song in her discography in my opinion. She's quite smart to include it too because some casual fans like it more.

I think Dress You Up in the remix/edit form or Causing A Commotion single version would've been ideal to add; the latter considering she'd just performed it for a year

Personally I've always found Who's That Girl not as good as Causing A Commotion but it did sell well. A Q-sound mix incorporating the 12" mix would've been cool when I think about it.

But I would still keep all 17 tracks as they are, only add one.

Edited by BoyToyMark (see edit history)

I would not replace any tracks, but i think it was insane for warner not to ask madonna to agree to a release in the 2000's with an extra cd of some edits or single edits of missed off singles from the era such as keep it togther, oh father, dress you up, everybody, burning up, angel, who's that girls, causing a commotion.

a new version of the album in the early 2000s would have helped sales

1 hour ago, mikeyaj said:

I would not replace any tracks, but i think it was insane for warner not to ask madonna to agree to a release in the 2000's with an extra cd of some edits or single edits of missed off singles from the era such as keep it togther, oh father, dress you up, everybody, burning up, angel, who's that girls, causing a commotion.

a new version of the album in the early 2000s would have helped sales

With all those non-hits on the album, it couldn’t be called "The IMMACULATE Collection" any longer.

The entire campaign was focused around this compilation featuring EXCLUSIVELY the big and memorable hits from her discography up to that point. 

Madonna has always been a visual artist and it’s no surprise that the songs without proper music videos (except for the really big hits Holiday, CFY & ITG) have been left off. 

Dress You Up is probably the one song that may have deserved a spot on this compilation but was it as big as the other singles released at that time? No. True Blue is a similar case. The other singles from that era were much bigger and True Blue itself wasn’t originally planned as a single. We also don't need to talk about Angel which got entirely overshadowed by its b-side. 

Who's That Girl would have followed La Isla Bonita on the tracklist and they sound way too similar. Besides, the former is much more memorable than the latter. Causing a Commotion was a bit of a hit back then but looking back not all that memorable or iconic either. In fact, the entire WTG movie/soundtrack was a bit of a throwaway moment compared to the other 80s projects. 

All in all, I think the selection of song couldn’t have been any better.

“THE ROYAL BOX”

DISC 1: THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION

1. Holiday
  2. Lucky Star
  3. Borderline
  4. Like a Virgin
  5. Material Girl
  6. Crazy for You
  7. Into the Groove
  8. Live to Tell
  9. Papa Don’t Preach
  10. Open Your Heart
  11. La Isla Bonita
  12. Like a Prayer
  13. Express Yourself
  14. Cherish
  15. Vogue
  16. Justify My Love
  17. Rescue Me

DISC 2: THE GOSPEL OF MADDY (a play on words with "The Gospel of Mary" the alleged "lost" gospel about Mary Magdalene that wasn’t included in the New Testament)

1. Dress You Up
  2. True Blue
  3. Who’s That Girl
  4. Causing a Commotion
  5. Keep It Together

SINGLES:

Justify My Love (b/w Express Yourself)

Crazy for You (b/w Causing a Commotion & Keep It Together)

Rescue Me (b/w True Blue)

Holiday (b/w Who's That Girl & Dress You Up)

On 7/1/2023 at 12:07 PM, MPowered said:

With all those non-hits on the album, it couldn’t be called "The IMMACULATE Collection" any longer.

The entire campaign was focused around this compilation featuring EXCLUSIVELY the big and memorable hits from her discography up to that point. 

Madonna has always been a visual artist and it’s no surprise that the songs without proper music videos (except for the really big hits Holiday, CFY & ITG) have been left off. 

Dress You Up is probably the one song that may have deserved a spot on this compilation but was it as big as the other singles released at that time? No. True Blue is a similar case. The other singles from that era were much bigger and True Blue itself wasn’t originally planned as a single. We also don't need to talk about Angel which got entirely overshadowed by its b-side. 

Who's That Girl would have followed La Isla Bonita on the tracklist and they sound way too similar. Besides, the former is much more memorable than the latter. Causing a Commotion was a bit of a hit back then but looking back not all that memorable or iconic either. In fact, the entire WTG movie/soundtrack was a bit of a throwaway moment compared to the other 80s projects. 

All in all, I think the selection of song couldn’t have been any better.

I agree, but nobody gives a fook about that. 

It's a collection for the the general public and all they see is a compilation, singles collection so it would have been an obvious move and any other act would have done it.

Madonna isn't like that which is great and i Like that. but commercially it would have made sense

21 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

I agree, but nobody gives a fook about that. 

It's a collection for the the general public and all they see is a compilation, singles collection so it would have been an obvious move and any other act would have done it.

Madonna isn't like that which is great and i Like that. but commercially it would have made sense

Well you need to keep in mind that there was also a limited running time for most media formats at that time. 17 tracks was pretty much the most one could fit on one CD. A double disc would have been an overkill.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:29 PM, Roland Barthes said:

Well, she could have added some missing singles Pettibone/Hotoda/Shimkin edits as b-sides on JML, Rescue Me and Holiday

Has the Mike Dean remaster been removed from plateforms ? 

I’ve wondered if they did any additional edits/mixes. Like if she had them do more than what we got and she decided which ones she wanted on it, or if she just handed them a list of the 15 and said mix/exit these.

The Mike Dean dolby atmos/spatial audio mix is still on apple music. 

I wouldn't remove any songs. The album is perfect as far as the selection of songs is concerned.

What I would like is for songs like Crazy for you, Open Your Heart and Cherish to keep that final part that was brutally cut and which for me was the best part of these songs.

Rescue Me, on the other hand, is a song that seems out of this world. What a shame that after this compilation Madonna drastically changed the sounds for her new album Erótica because personally I would have liked to hear more songs similar to Rescue Me, which is one of my favorite songs. I really hope that Madonna sings it live in the middle of some special effects and someone impersonating God as the one who will rescue her from that pit of depression that means heartbreak and lack of faith in humanity. 

22 hours ago, MPowered said:

Well you need to keep in mind that there was also a limited running time for most media formats at that time. 17 tracks was pretty much the most one could fit on one CD. A double disc would have been an overkill.

i'm not talking about the album release

i'm suggesting a business decision in the early 90's once stocks are running low of the cd to do a 2 disc edition to increase sales

15 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Mhhh I think things like that weren’t really a thing in the early 90s.

I think a Part 2 was more likely. Like they did with Queen's Greatest Hits, Abba Gold etc. But then Pt. 2 was GHV2 so....

The whole point of The Immaculate Collection was that it was immaculate. No filler.

17 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I think a Part 2 was more likely. Like they did with Queen's Greatest Hits, Abba Gold etc. But then Pt. 2 was GHV2 so....

The whole point of The Immaculate Collection was that it was immaculate. No filler.

Exactly and to be fair, it was a much better compilation than HIStory or Design of a Decade which neglected far more hits.