Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

Pitch and autotune are production effects, applied to the track before it goes to mastering.They are not technical choices but artistic design.

Most artists don't use autotune for "artistic design", they use it cos its the easy way to sound polished and like they can sing properly, when in reality the actual vocals are really flawed. 

Yes, although I can't even remember last time I listened to that album loool.  :)

Seeing it on tour made me a convert to some of the songs.  :)  It's not my favorite Madonna album by any stretch of the imagination, but I can listen to most of the tracks for nostalgic reasons now.  I adore the live version of Love Spent though and wish there was a studio recording of that full version.  :suffer:

Sure.Just like photoshop is image design for artistic purpose, autotune is sound design. The technicality is not just here for show.Filtering reality to make it better is one of art's pillars, isn't it?

they are just tools, period. what matters is how you use them. I personally don't think people who use it to lazily sound good on an album do it with any artistic purpose in mind. 

then again everyone has their own definitions of what art is  :)

Artists don't use tools. They have their genius and their poetry and it comes out like this, woosh, no technics involved.

what does this even mean?  :stare:

Being a characteristic of contemporary pop and a signature on some Madonna songs, it is part of the aesthetics given to the album.  :)

a signature of some Madonna songs? for instance?  :stare:

"lazily" is your point of view. There are a lot of other ways to alter vocal recordings, so the use of autotune is intentional. 

"There are a lot of ways to alter vocal recordings", yes, and none as easy as using autotune, which is why it is used. Saves time and money and doesn't require any effort whatsoever, especially when it is used lazily and left with ugly avoidable artifacts all over it. Ovbiously it is intentional, it's no accident that it is used... I didn't realise that was up for debate.  :stare:

I think you're confusing autotune with vocoder. Yes, vocoder is used as an artistic device, from Cher's Believe onwards, we've heard many instances of it. And it's extremely in your face.

However, autotune isn't meant to be noticed. Since around 2009, it's become the backbone of cheap disposable commercial music and live performances of artists that need a bit of extra help. I'm not completely against it really, I don't have huge moral opposition, but i do think it is lazyness when artists simply fix bad vocal takes with a heavy dose of autotune instead of trying to record the best vocals possible, this is done to save studio time and presumably money. Some artists simply can't sing though and rely heavily on autotune. I don't think that's Madonna's case, so it's unfortunate she's been lazy with her vocals. Since the leaks, we know for sure, most of the time she records one take and uses it for all the demos and final versions, even when some could be re-recorded and made better.

Aside from autotune and vocoder, there's also melodyne that lets you construct vocals by changing pitch from each word/phrase/etc individually to your liking, this was used for the song "Masterpiece" on its backing vocals, you could argue with me that in this instance it was done for artistic effect, I would cynically argue that it was done because she couldn't be arsed to record proper background vocals, but we don't really know. Maybe she did it artistically, like Björk has done on her last 2 albums.

I don't hate autotune, but I agree with Fighter's point of view. It seems to me that artists nowadays spend way less time in the recording studio than they should: it's kinda "lazy". And I think you can clearly see that with all the demos that leaked, most of them have pretty much the same vocals, and the "new vox" on some versions consist of autotune effect applied to some parts :stare: . I think it's lazy and takes a lot from a song's potential (example: Wash all over me and Messiah).

Is renting a recording studio expensive or something? :confused: