Madonna: Ray Of Light (Poll)

angelamanda623

Madonna: Ray Of Light   

102 members voted

1. 1. Which song is your favorite from this undeniable classic?

• Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    • Swim
    • Ray Of Light
    • Candy Perfume Girl
    • Skin
    • Nothing Really Matters
    • Sky Fits Heaven
    • Shanti/Ashtangi
    • Frozen
    • The Power Of Good-bye
    • To Have And Not To Hold
    • Little Star
    • Mer Girl

You should've suggested Music instead of AL.... AL is like the opposite of ROL. I love AL more though. Confessions is poppy but I wouldn't call it generic if you listen past the first 2 tracks, or its subtleties. 

I can see why people who arent so into pop would enjoy ROL more than the rest, but to me Madonna is pop and there's nothing wrong with that.

youre probably right - i just remember when listening to the Music album the first time, I was not as satisfied....especially coming off the Ray of Light era.  That said, there are many tracks that I love from Music but rarely go back to that album. 

He's going to try out "Erotica" next.  Ill suggest "Music" after he's done with Erotica and if he's still willing to listen to any more Madonna.

He just told me yesterday that hes still obsessed with ROL and it tugs at his heart.  The only song he's not too fond of is CPG.

A

A

youre probably right - i just remember when listening to the Music album the first time, I was not as satisfied....especially coming off the Ray of Light era.  That said, there are many tracks that I love from Music but rarely go back to that album. 

He's going to try out "Erotica" next.  Ill suggest "Music" after he's done with Erotica and if he's still willing to listen to any more Madonna.

He just told me yesterday that hes still obsessed with ROL and it tugs at his heart.  The only song he's not too fond of is CPG.

A

A

He'd probably like Paradise, and a few others from Music. But like Confessions, the title track is probably not too representative of the whole...

Maybe the opposite as it's a very "clean" album compared to the "thick" ROL. But it's def from the same family and same era.

AL is minimalistic and the lyrics are direct. ROL is more lyrically poetic and the production very layered... yes I agree they both belong to the same era in a way. 

DW / SFL

It's the ultimate ballad and opener, it's both ethereal and builds up to fury at the end. Erotica or American Life come close as the best opener but like Drowned is a perfect example of the entire record. I might be in the few here but I loathe both Live to Tell and Take a Bow - this is what I wanted her to bust out on Rebel tour but not on my night (freaked out more at lines from Bad Girl).

Candy Perfume Girl and Ray of Light tagging behind.

Oooooh, am i missing something here? I didn't know about this. Did she speak the lines or sing them?

Yes only like one or two lines I think and than freaked out saying I can't remember the rest so sorry. SO SAD and not at my show - still be collapsed on the floor in the arena with basketball going.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the opposite as it's a very "clean" album compared to the "thick" ROL. But it's def from the same family and same era.

Oh and I'm the only one who vote for Shanti! Just to defend it. Maybe my fav of the album are Skin, Frozen & To have and not to hold but Shanti is a one of a kind I absolutely adore. Music is F* awesome on it. F* good track!!

I have an update on the friend - so he liked Erotica but I dont think I gave him enough time to let that one sink since I wanted to test out "Music."

He listened to "Music" and he LOVED it. - I asked what his fave was and he said, the whole album but "Nobodys Perfect" stood out especially.  This was just after two days of listening so I'll get an update from him.  He's still obsessed with the ROL album.  This is a 300lb "worlds strongest man" competitior who typically listens to Rammstein and Depeche Mode.

A

• 11 months later...

'Skin' all the way...

In 2005 I wrote "Why do all the things I say sound like the stupid things I said before?" on my MSN status (damn, I'm old!), and immediately a friend asked me where I found this wonderful sentence. I sent her the mp3 and she was mesmerized.

I love everything about the song. The ethnic sound, the beats, the trance effect... So many good memories of early adolescence and 90s...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ray Of Light is my least favorite Madonna album but just because I don´t like William Orbits late 90s production style. It is always a problem when the sound of the record is dominated by the signature sound of the producer and you don´t like that sound. I voted for Skin.

• 6 months later...

My fave track off this phenomenal album is Ray Of Light.  The beginning guitar riff and synths, to the pulsing dance beat and electronica and that chorus.  I was in the 5th grade when it came out and something about that album shifted something in me.  It made me come to terms with me being gay.  It just did it for me.  Sashas Ultraviolet remix is the ultimate for me.

• 2 weeks later...

You are all nuts.

Go listen to the album on acid and you will hear things you have never head before.

ALL those tracks fit perfectly, extend the album by adding the unreleased stuff and it will blow your minds.

One of the most perfect sublime recorded you will ever hear. Why?

Because she took her sweet time with it, if she just settled in the studio and didn't rush things she'd have gold every time.

Orbit already commented on that, too much distraction with "teenage fashion contests" and "saving Malawi".

I'm also completely over William Orbit's production work, this album is way too long and way too slow, I think it's quite overrated and sounds dated by now. I also think it's not as deep and introspective as it's generally assumed, a lot of songs feature generic lyrics like The Power Of Good-Bye. It's only the opening and closing tracks that are really personal and new to her and no surprise she did those 2 songs only from this album at her gig last month.

That said, the title track got my vote as it's one of her best songs ever!

Nothing Really Matters was autobiographical too. Before 1998 Madonna had never revealed herself to that level in a record - with the sole exception of Till Death Do Us Part maybe.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I have an interesting story - I have a younger straight male friend, he's a regular 25 y.o. red-blooded american man who knows nothing about Madonna's music and is obsessed with body building, etc. Get the picture?

He's been intrigued by my Madonna obsession and I long story short, I asked him to add to his spotify, and play the "Ray of Light" album in full. He did. He's been obsessed with it. He says he likes the overall feeling and how complex it is. He reported back to me a few weeks ago that he was driving with his other straight male workout friend and had the album playing in his car. This is what the conversation went like:

"this is cool bro - what is it?"

My friend: "Madonna"

his friend: "Madonna?" Whoa! - this is pretty damn good.

So he asked for a follow-up and after some back and forth I suggested: American Life (it's also complex)

He said it was OK and actually said he didnt like it after awhile.

I then suggested the MIXED Confessions on a Dance Floor:

He "likes" it. Sounds too poppy and generic to him and her voice is ok - doesnt give him the same feeling as the Ray of Light album did.

Anyway - thought id share some feedback from a non fan and someone who knows nothing about her and is not her typical audience.

- Anyway, I picked Drowned World - To this day, I will never forget getting home from the midnight release and putting the album in my player and hearing Drowned World come on. Gave me chills. That evita trained voice on that haunting track. Nothing like it. Her voice was magical from Something to Remembers new tracks through American Pie/Time Stood Still - that beautifully trained voice was ultimately gone by the time the Music album came out.

Obsessed with body building and NOT gay? ;)

Everything around Ray of Light is just perfect. The music is complex and cram-packed with sonic gems that will reveal after every listen. The lyrics are all beautifully mastered, too, and accompany great melodies everywhere.

Favourite track: Ray of Light. Just because it's amazing. The video was actually ripped off an Italian songwriter called Biagio Antonacci, however I don't care: I still love Madonna's video better! ;)

Nothing Really Matters was autobiographical too. Before 1998 Madonna had never revealed herself to that level in a record - with the sole exception of Till Death Do Us Part maybe.

Say "hello" to....

"Promise To Try"

"Keep It Together"

"Inside of Me"

"Oh Father"