Her look on the Virgin Tour

Redha DBL

Don't get me wrong, i love the "Virgin tour" (who doesn't ?!) But i'm talking only look wise. Her look ik the early days was absolutely stunning, she would style her clothes herself, cutting, putting stuff i her hair, it was very rough and that's why it was so great. Even the wild way she would do her hair, it was just mesmerizing. But then came the Virgin Tour and it's like they decided to reacreate her "authentic street style" in a professional way, and that's why it kinda looks off to me. It's hard for me decsribe exactly what i mean, but for the Virgin tour it's like she didn't styled her by herself. Those clowns colors, that short bangs (fringe), the clowny make up... what i mean is that for example she looks amazing (hair and clothes) for every performances of those years exept for the Virgin Tour. Even after the tour was over, she went back to stunning (The Desperately seeking Susan era), so it really only for the tour. It's like she had a special look team or something. To me something is different bewteen these 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7e694c6432f23734ec251c5e9eaa69b4.jpg1486299284_maxresdefault(1).jpg.eab80a3c8a62c2b9fef70ad7b2c66889.jpgsolid_gold_madonna_01.jpg.9e818489fc494bc47fa53948f4b95a31.jpg

and this

virgin-tour-backstage-1.thumb.jpg.502275ca241be25f96d4c36e7ae7170d.jpg101879-004-E88AB960.jpeg.97ba89084f6bfc58b80390010ccc03a8.jpegvirgin-tour13.jpg.3d194d43d52f725189bc0bec631e7013.jpg

It looks like a costume, a fancy dress. More like Cindy Lauper than Madonna.

Even the bride looks kinda bad on the Virgin tour compared to the other MTV awards

1008163618_1984MTVVMAJohnBellisimo(CaravanOfStoriesRussiaNovember2000)2789X18503MB.thumb.jpg.e09e25b897aeaeb6385083cd2c7a67c9.jpg1129765880_tumblr_pknqxfa1HT1tz0w9w_1280(1).thumb.jpg.9dd0362f6fa5043bdafe2d1a2e75658c.jpg

And this

gettyimages-542633988-612x612.jpg.61ebf07bdb3882ac18d6b6b208728825.jpgd0d52a0a8c5fa4d5f93e66919e496278.thumb.jpg.44aa46595c295d78069a4d29b12c7731.jpg

What do you think ? Let's dIscuss !

You are right. Her style at the time was very raw and very natural. I think that because the thrift store look became so popular and people (and designers) started to mimic it, it kinda turned into a 'product', and that kinda ruined its authenticity. However, it still became iconic.... I still absolutely adore this Madonna.

I think we need to distinguish her raw "Madonna" 1983-1984 style from the more elaborate (and less authentic) "Like a virgin" 1985 style. I also tend to think of Desperately Seeking Susan as something that came later, but actually the movie was filmed in summer 1984, BEFORE Like a virgin came out and reflect the previous period. So I wouldn't say "she went back to stunning". Same for Vision Quest, filmed in 1983 and released in Italy in 1986!

After Virgin Tour we got the Live Aid look:

BasicShowyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

8 hours ago, I don't search I find said:

the eighties were so cringy lol

At the time, I thought the look of the 80's was so cool. Now I can't help but  laugh a little at the big shoulder pads and bad perms. But what I loved about Madonna's look at the time the most is how she could stack jewelry on herself like no one else. :lord:

2 hours ago, Enrico said:

I think we need to distinguish her raw "Madonna" 1983-1984 style from the more elaborate (and less authentic) "Like a virgin" 1985 style. I also tend to think of Desperately Seeking Susan as something that came later, but actually the movie was filmed in summer 1984, BEFORE Like a virgin came out and reflect the previous period. So I wouldn't say "she went back to stunning". Same for Vision Quest, filmed in 1983 and released in Italy in 1986!

After Virgin Tour we got the Live Aid look:

BasicShowyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

You are absolutely right. I forgit DSS was filmed before the Virgin tour. 

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

You are right. Her style at the time was very raw and very natural. I think that because the thrift store look became so popular and people (and designers) started to mimic it, it kinda turned into a 'product', and that kinda ruined its authenticity. However, it still became iconic.... I still absolutely adore this Madonna.

Yeah i agree. Also she didn't need to custom her cheap clothes by herself, she was beginning to have a lot of money and had access to designer and expensive clothes. So the "raw street style" was alterate and less authentic. I wish she had dressed up all by herself with her old clothes for the Virgin tour ! And that hair lol ! She had that way of hanging and pinning her hair in a wild way, usually just one side and it looked fabulous, with a make up that suited her face perfectly. On the tour her hair is meh (almost like a regular little girl during the 80's) and the make up clown like.

1 hour ago, I don't search I find said:

the eighties were so cringy lol

Well, actually i think it was a very creative era look wise. People dared to experiment many stuff with their hair, clothes, make up... peopel weren't especially looking to be beautiful, they wanted to stand out, be different, experimental. Nowadays people just want to look perfect and beautiful and imo it's boring. Everyone wants to looks like everyone. The girls have perfect eyebrows, nude make, long perfect hair, ala Kardashian. Then again, the look reflect the era. In the 80's the main mood was "fun", people were living as they wanted, smoking, partying, having fun, ... nowadays we do not smoke, we are vegan, we don't do this, don't do that... trying to be the most prefect humain beings possible, almost like robots, and visually we also tend to look perfect like dolls. I think i'm off topic right ?!

she looked great then. the 80s had many artists who over did it.  not that it was necessarily bad, but Madonna still looked like a normal gal back then.  though i thought she had a stylist or manager who helped her with that look early on? the look was already trending before Madonna. See Pat Benatars early videos.  Madonna just made it more popular than ever.

41 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I think she was inspired for the tour by all the Prince & The Revolution "Purple Rain" album/movie /tour looks.

my-name-is-prince-exhibition-press-view-

file.png

Remember Prince and her were friends (and label mates) back then.

Her 1985 Live Aid look was very Prince & The Revolution, too:

28284003815_0ca2b43843_c.jpg

Or maybe it's just the 80s? :lol:

Very interesting and yes i think you're right. 

Due to the tremendous amount of dancing in The Virgin Tour, Madonna needed industrial strength clothes.  If she was going to wear them, night after night (and during all of the dress rehearsals), she had to make them strong.  From that aspect alone, going to the thrift shop just wasn't an option for her tour wardrobe. 

Over the years, many of her tour outfits were customized to make a tiny human look bigger than life.  From shoulder pads to heels to higher cuts (among other things), her tour clothes have been designed to make her a rock/pop deity.  The Virgin Tour was no exception.

And the sparkle effect became yet another presence on the stage.  Under the lights, she wanted to shine as light is the single most important element of an M concert.  Dancing on a stage is a fruitless endeavor if the audience cannot see the intended nuances.  Much like her current video backgrounds, the shine produced from her tour fabrics became part of the show.  The outfits are designed to light the stage. I cannot imagine any of her tours without the glitz.  

45 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Due to the tremendous amount of dancing in The Virgin Tour, Madonna needed industrial strength clothes.  If she was going to wear them, night after night (and during all of the dress rehearsals), she had to make them strong.  From that aspect alone, going to the thrift shop just wasn't an option for her tour wardrobe. 

Over the years, many of her tour outfits were customized to make a tiny human look bigger than life.  From shoulder pads to heels to higher cuts (among other things), her tour clothes have been designed to make her a rock/pop deity.  The Virgin Tour was no exception.

And the sparkle effect became yet another presence on the stage.  Under the lights, she wanted to shine as light is the single most important element of an M concert.  Dancing on a stage is a fruitless endeavor if the audience cannot see the intended nuances.  Much like her current video backgrounds, the shine produced from her tour fabrics became part of the show.  The outfits are designed to light the stage. I cannot imagine any of her tours without the glitz.  

I inderstand perfecty but the choices of clothes models and hair styling didn't really made her look at her advantage. Sure she's beautiful on the Virgin tour, cause anyway especially at time nothing could have make her look bad but she could have look much better with better styling.