Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW

New_Boy

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Why would they release oh father , dear Jessie and the look of love on digital ? None of these singles had exclusive versions on them ? The whole point of this Campaign is to share remixes surely ? Not a fade or edit of a song - if all you guys want it for is the artwork then that’s just ridiculous- you can download the artwork from the web ? I don’t get these endless debates on this ? sure it’s nice to discuss the beautiful artwork I love them too but some fans on here seem to live for this ?? 

Oh the skipping CD is writing another rant about how wrong we are for wanting Madonna's single catalogue to be complete on streaming. :luv:

I know I have told you this before but I will tell you again:

Dear Jessie and Oh Father both have exclusive single versions that get rid of the continuous mix from the album version. Dear Jessie's version is a fade and Oh Father's is an edit. One appeared on the soon to be replaced 30th Anniversary Edition of Like A Prayer. :luv:

The point of this re-issue campaign was exactly what you think it isn’t: Making all her singles available on streaming to crush the file sharing and re-selling of old singles and promo material that was never meant for sale to begin with. No matter how pointless they seem to you. :luv:

We weren't sure whether they would bother releasing Material Girl and Like A Virgin because these, along with The Look Of Love do not have versions on the singles that weren’t previously available. News flash: They didn’t care and uploaded them regardless. :luv:

It seems they don't care at all whether a single doesn’t offer an exclusive versions! :luv:

In my opinion, this thread isn’t for you and I think the mods would do us all a favor if they revoked your access to this thread because you do nothing but repeat the same complaint about us over and over again. :luv:

40 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The background is the wrong colour . Also the skin tone is not quite the same.

It depends on the photograph of the case. There are picture where it’s more yellow and others where it’s more beige. :luv:

12 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well, "Oh Father" was her first "flop" since 1984. I believe he hasn't liked the song very much since then. Even during the Blond Ambition Tour, she didn't sing it in full. It's sad because the song is a masterpiece.

She was actually gonna perform the song on her last tour. Sadly, it was cut after the show was shortened due to her health complications. 

I think at the time, she was more pissed off at David Fincher for convincing her to release Oh Father instead of Spanish Eyes (the Oh Father sleeve actually looks more fitting for Spanish Eyes than Oh Father). She wouldn’t have released it or bothered with a video and performance if she didn’t like it.

Oh Father is my second favorite Madonna song. I’m glad it was a single with an absolute amazing video, probably one of her best. I do believe that Spanish Eyes, although yet another latin-influenced single, would have been another big hit for her.

1 minute ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

Oh Father is my second favorite Madonna song. I’m glad it was a single with an absolute amazing video, probably one of her best. I do believe that Spanish Eyes, although yet another latin-influenced single, would have been another big hit for her.

In Spain, 'Spanish Eyes' was played on radio stations more than 'Cherish' and 'Keep it Together' ('Oh Father' was not released in Spain). For that reason, 'Spanish Eyes' was released as a promo single in Spain.

22 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well, "Oh Father" was her first "flop" since 1984. I believe he hasn't liked the song very much since then. Even during the Blond Ambition Tour, she didn't sing it in full. It's sad because the song is a masterpiece.

Surely the flop factor didn't help, but she included it later on "Something To Remember", so surely she liked (like?) the song.

Maybe it's not an easy song to sing live? She was quite good on the BAT but also looked pushed to the limit:

It has that kind of emotional studio delivery that's not that easy to replicate live.

It had a chance as a mash up/medley of some kind with "Mother And Father" on the last tour but I don't know if it would have worked honestly.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

Surely the flop factor didn't help, but she included it later on "Something To Remember", so surely she liked (like?) the song.

But 'Something to Remember' is a compilation made (and 'Bedtime Stories') to soften Madonna's bad image in the USA after the whole Erotica/Sex debacle. She needed good ballads, and 'Oh Father' is brilliant. I'm probably wrong, but I always saw 'Something to Remember' as Warner's idea.

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

In Spain, 'Spanish Eyes' was played on radio stations more than 'Cherish' and 'Keep it Together' ('Oh Father' was not released in Spain). For that reason, 'Spanish Eyes' was released as a promo single in Spain.

Warner Spain being smart enough to make decisions after "Cherish" and sending a promo single of "Pray For Spanish Eyes":

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

It's funny to look back and see how the "Like A Prayer" album campaign derailed so much worldwide after the third single? They basically left every territory without a clear direction and each one took control: UK with "Dear Jessie", Spain with "Pray For Spanish Eyes" promo...

She came back with a bang with "Vogue" and nothing happened, but that short strange time between "Cherish" and "Vogue" probably was quite alarming for her and the company at the time after literally years of gold and excellent results with every single. "Oh Father" and "Keep It Together" not doing much in the US...

EDIT:

I don't know if "Spanish Eyes" would have worked with a proper push and promotional music video... maybe in Latin countries, though it wasn't your typical Latin song either. I love the song but it doesn't scream commercial hit to me, more great deep album cut.

16 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Warner Spain being smart enough to make decisions after "Cherish" and sending a promo single of "Pray For Spanish Eyes":

It's funny to look back and see how the "Like A Prayer" album campaign derailed so much worldwide after the third single? They basically left every territory without a clear direction and each one took control: UK with "Dear Jessie", Spain with "Pray For Spanish Eyes" promo...

She came back with a bang with "Vogue" and nothing happened, but that short strange time between "Cherish" and "Vogue" probably was quite alarming for her and the company at the time after literally years of gold and excellent results with every single. "Oh Father" and "Keep It Together" not doing much in the US...

You are right. I would love to know what happened at Warner Headquarters during that period.

For me, as a teenager and a new fan back then thanks to 'Express Yourself', it was fantastic — almost four singles at the same time ('Dear Jessie', 'Oh Father' (video), 'Keep it Together', 'Spanish Eyes'). Madonna was everywhere (and all of that before 'Vogue').

Now I know that what made me enjoy it so much was actually Warner's panic attack about how to continue promoting 'Like A Prayer' after 'Cherish'.

Talking about "Spanish Eyes", I'm sure it's been discussed before, but why the title change from the short one on the initial album pressings to the final full title "Pray For Spanish Eyes"? I think I read something about being another big song then with that title or something?

And while we're at it, is there a better version of this Japanese ad using the song?

And is that baby hand a toy? Hahaha.

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT:

I don't know if "Spanish Eyes" would have worked with a proper push and promotional music video... maybe in Latin countries, though it wasn't your typical Latin song either. I love the song but it doesn't scream commercial hit to me, more great deep album cut.

It’s like a more serious take on La Isla Bonita. That and Who's That Girl were big hits for her. The public always ate up Latin-donna.

I think Spanish Eyes, out of all the options, would have clicked the most with general audiences, whose taste tends to differ quite drastically from that of her fans. If I didn’t know what the singles from LAP were, I never would have guessed that Cherish for example was a single let alone a big hit. That song screams filler imo.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Talking about "Spanish Eyes", I'm sure it's been discussed before, but why the change title from the short one on the initial album pressings to the final full title "Pray For Spanish Eyes"? I think I read something about being another big song then with that title or something?

From what I read, it was changed so people wouldn't think it was a cover of another song with the same name released by the band U2 in 1987.

Promise To Try would have made a good 80’s single to close the campaign out. It’s very melodic and moving. The kind of songs teenage girls and radio love. It’s also a very credible song. A double A - Side with Oh Father would have been a real powerful moment to close out the 80’s. 

Spanish Eyes is the definition of great album track for texture but In no way a single. Til Death Do Us Part would have been a major controversial single and could have had a great video. It’s quite a Belinda Carlisle sounding song as is Donna Delorys Just A Dream. A sound Madonna was obviously very fond of as she later called on Rick Nowells for Like A Prayer. I have a feeling some of the unreleased songs from this era lean a bit more into that Belinda sound.

23 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Promise To Try would have made a good 80’s single to close the campaign out. It’s very melodic and moving. The kind of songs teenage girls and radio love. It’s also a very credible song. A double A - Side with Oh Father would have been a real powerful moment to close out the 80’s. 

At that time the issue with Like A Prayer, while as an album it was perfect, on the singles level it couldn't compete with the music that was playing at that moment. Sometimes I even think that if Shep Pettibone hadn't remixed 'Express Yourself,' it would have also been a small flop. And the evidence is there, with 'Cherish' struggling to maintain chart positions outside the USA and 'Oh, Father' being her first flop since 1984.

Yeah agree @Aiwa08. I know Dance Music was huge but there was a lot of big ballads around 89/90 too which did so so so well

With a religious themed video around Xmas, Promise To Try could have done the same sort of things Dear Jessie did in the UK. It was her second biggest single after Like A Prayer which is wild. 

The biggest songs of 89-90 were largely ballads, downtempo, emo pop, and rock tinged ballads. 

• Sinead o Connor - Nothing Compares To You
  • Roxette -It Must Have Been Love.
  • Mariah - Vision Of Love mid July.
  • Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise
  • How Am I Supposed To Love Without You - Michael Bolton
  • Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
  • Right Here Waiting - Richard Marx
  • Eternal Flame - Bangles
  • Chicago - Look Away
  • Baby I Love Your Way - Will To Power 
  • Don't Wanna Loose You - Gloria Estefan
  • Giving You Te Best That I Got - Anita Baker 
  • Lost In Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
  • Heaven - Warrant 
  • Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison
  • If You Dont Know Me By Now  - Simply Red
  • Those awful New Kids ballads
  • Blaze Of Glory - Bon Jovi
  • Black Velvet - Alana Miles
  • Hold On - Wilson Phillips 

Of course we were already on to damage limitation, famed b side Vogue by March 90 by then anyway but the 90's ballad saturation had already kicked off in 1989. 

I suppose her imperial sales stage of True Blue had cooled somewhat and really True Blue was her only bullet proof singles campaign ever. Madonna & Like A Virgin were sketchy as hell with the record company largely abandoning the Album after Material Girl and Like A Virgin hit. Angel and Dress You Up were such afterthoughts really and in the UK we were still getting singles form the debut in 85-86.

In many ways the haphazard singles release of the Like A Prayer album went back to the Like A Virgin methodology. Back a single we think may underperform (Angel / Keep It Together ) with a new song (Into The Groove / Vogue), but when they heard Vogue they thought were not making the same mistake as we did with Into The Groove this needs its own single release. And of course like the Like A Virgin era =(Vision Quest / Susan)  she had film projects to come out. Like A Prayer =(Bloodhounds Of Broadway / Dick Tracy).

I suppose regardless I love the randomness of Dear Jessie as a single and the glorious artwork, the beauty of the Oh Father video and the brilliant Keep It Together remixes so while as always there are shoulda woulda couldas the era was fundamental in setting her up as a credible artists for the next decade to come.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Keep It Together was successful enough, US #8 and #1 dance. It would've done even better with an official video and should've been the fourth single following Cherish in November 89 in all regions. Perfect lead into Vogue too.

6 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

Keep It Together was successful enough, US #8 and #1 dance. It would've done even better with an official video and should've been the fourth single following Cherish in November 89 in all regions. Perfect lead into Vogue too.

On a side note, the quartet of singles Express Yourself-Keep it Together-Vogue-Rescue Me is flawless.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

"Who's That Girl" digital single Apple Music NZ 1:30 audio previews:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/whos-that-girl-single/1754248790

Sounds boosted? I even doubt if the title track isn't the same master as on "Celebration".

Sounds boosted (remastered) but not distorted, fortunately. Oh, the Dub sounds so good from a digital source... 

20 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"Who's That Girl" digital single Apple Music NZ 1:30 audio previews:

600x600cc-60.jpg

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/whos-that-girl-single/1754248790

Sounds definitely boosted? I even doubt if the title track isn't the same master as on "Celebration"... I think it is?

Also, wonder why no "White Heat".

It was either the dub or a useless b-side, they did good!

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW