33 1/3 erotica by MICHAEL DANGO OUT NOW

gst6662000

• gst6662000 changed the title to 33 1/3 erotica by MICHAEL DANGO OUT NOW
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished it. Definitely worth reading, well-researched but also slightly frustrating at times. There are some glaring misinterpretations as well as some very thinly stretched arguments. I also would love to see Andre Betts' reaction to the painfully laboured analysis of his rap on Did You Do It? He'd probably piss himself laughing. :)

22 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Just finished it. Definitely worth reading, well-researched but also slightly frustrating at times. There are some glaring misinterpretations as well as some very thinly stretched arguments. I also would love to see Andre Betts' reaction to the painfully laboured analysis of his rap on Did You Do It? He'd probably piss himself laughing. :)

I agree, I have a few pages left but it’s a let down to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading it it in a day. Was really looking forward to what I thought was going to be a socio-cultural analysis and historical contextualizing, but meh, he got on my nerves a lot.

It felt like a queer theory graduate thesis using Erotica as a recurring theme. I already read a lot of Judith Butler, Foucault and bell hooks in my undergrad glbtq studies classes.

At times I felt he was just pandering to the current perception of her among contemporary online progressives and twitter activists.

He seemed to have an interpretation of the album/era that he projected onto it; at times I felt he didn’t understand it at all.

And MY GOD the errors and inaccuracies. They need fact checkers badly. 🙃

i had just read the Bjork Homogenic edition of this series and it focused a lot more on the production and just Bjork's overall life at the time and all that lead up to the album and the technology behind it.
the Erotica edition seemed more about the culture at the time and not much about the actual making of the album. its an interesting read but didnt do much to add to the history of the album, especially for those looking to read about the production.

On 9/7/2023 at 7:13 PM, gst6662000 said:

145 pages of great exposition!!! i love it... this is my very first album to be a devoted follower. 

It just irked me bc he spends the majority of it criticizing her. I’m not saying she’s immune to it or that books like this should be fanboy fapping but ffs have some reverence for your subject, and he just doesn’t.

He preaches to the choir and regurgitates the same tired pseudo-woke criticisms and dismissals of her you can find on the internet and social media.

I did enjoy it when he said Born This Way is even more offensive than Vogue, though. That was quite on point.