Singles... if Erotica never received damage control treatment

GhostOrchid

6 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The Girlie Show is perfect though, it would be a crime to change anything.

But I think Rescue Me as an encore after JML and before Everybody could have been epic. Can you fucking imagine.

Well at that time M wasn't familiarized with backdrops, given the only one tour by hers what features them prior to DWT is WGTT.

It would be epic if RM were blown on speakers while she and dancers did the last costume change, but a fvcking backdrop video would potentialize it to Heaven's level.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

But I think Rescue Me as an encore after JML and before Everybody could have been epic. Can you fucking imagine.

I know you are a bit of a conservative fan, so I am aware we are most definitely gonna disagree but there is A LOT I would change about that tour. I think the very core construct is perfect but overall, it had very few songs along with very questionable choices.

8 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

Well at that time M wasn't familiarized with backdrops, given the only one tour by hers what features them prior to DWT is WGTT.

It would be epic if RM were blown on speakers while she and dancers did the last costume change, but a fvcking backdrop video would potentialize it to Heaven's level.

Actually, Papa Don't Preach on WTG had a bit of a backdrop. Most people aren’t aware of it! 😂

28 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Actually, Papa Don't Preach on WTG had a bit of a backdrop. Most people aren’t aware of it! 😂

Ja schön, this was exactly what I told y'all, the backdrop during PDP at WTGT (and I believe there were others for more songs) was just a ball ahead of the curve before DWT when it comes to M's tours.

EDIT: Now I realize ur intention with beginning ur sentence with "actually," my apologies!

46 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

You should direct your own show rather than fantasizing about butchering other people’s :laughing:

You know...if I had the means I would! Sadly I don't so I'm stuck with my butcher knife!

0a6052bb-a9bc-45e3-91d6-68a5b6b3ca4f.jpg?w=1200&h=630&fit=crop&crop=faces&fm=jpg

(Don't tell me a 10 minute Marlene Dietrich parody of Like A Virgin along with a performance of I'm Going Bananas is the absolute best thing she could have done for that tour)

I get her intention, I understand the idea and the concept behind it. Do I think those two performances were the absolute highlight of that show? No and I think it's totally fair to criticize her decision. Art is supposed to create a discussion.

The Girlie Show isn't anywhere near my top choices and it's never gonna be unless I could go back in time, slap (or fuck whatever he prefers) the shit out of Christopher and tell him to convince his sister to change things up and include more songs on that darn tour! :lol:

34 minutes ago, MPowered said:

You know...if I had the means I would! Sadly I don't so I'm stuck with my butcher knife!

0a6052bb-a9bc-45e3-91d6-68a5b6b3ca4f.jpg?w=1200&h=630&fit=crop&crop=faces&fm=jpg

(Don't tell me a 10 minute Marlene Dietrich parody of Like A Virgin along with a performance of I'm Going Bananas is the absolute best thing she could have done for that tour)

I get her intention, I understand the idea and the concept behind it. Do I think those two performances were the absolute highlight of that show? No and I think it's totally fair to criticize her decision. Art is supposed to create a discussion.

The Girlie Show isn't anywhere near my top choices and it's never gonna be unless I could go back in time, slap (or fuck whatever he prefers) the shit out of Christopher and tell him to convince his sister to change things up and include more songs on that darn tour! :lol:

FLOP FAN

Like a Virgin on that tour does not go for 10 minutes and it’s absolutely amazing

I really did enjoy the Girlie Show, but that's maybe because I had already developed an interest in cabaret bars, burlesque performances and circus life - interests that only grew stronger as I got older and began my own training. The Girlie Show coincided well with those early interests that I still rely on today. I don't think there's anything I would change in it, what would be the point? Why waste the time on things you can't change or have any control over?

15 minutes ago, TheGoth said:

I really did enjoy the Girlie Show, but that's maybe because I had already developed an interest in cabaret bars, burlesque performances and circus life - interests that only grew stronger as I got older and began my own training. The Girlie Show coincided well with those early interests that I still rely on today. I don't think there's anything I would change in it, what would be the point? Why waste the time on things you can't change or have any control over?

In fact now I get there would be little to no space for other Erotica album tracks to shine on that tour. Girlie's flow is indeed better than Blond's, esp after watching a very good concert such as FUKUOKA one (yes, this is what I mean! Sorry Aussies)

To be honest I don’t think Erotica received damage control at all. I think it was meant to be that way from scratch.

She was too focused on shock value, vut went too far in that process, there was a media saturation + a lot of double standards. Over sensitive United States.

If Madonna wanted to played safe, the name of the project wouldn’t be Erotica, it could have been “Rain” or even”Deeper and Deeper” with this singles:

- Deeper and Deeper

- Bad Girl

- Rain

- Words

- Why it’s so hard

i think the main “mistake” to us fans it’s the release order of the projects, she should have released  Deeper and Deeper as first single, then the album, Bad Girl as second single, then tour announcement, Erotica single and video,  tour starts, sex book release, body of evidence, rain single, why it’s so hard single, end of the era. I’ll remember single.

17 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Personally I wouldn't see Waiting working as a single on its own, unless GP were very receptive to Erotica single/SEX/Body of Evidence. Which would be very unlikely to happen at such time. Naturally Warner was prepared for the overreactions hence the little changing here and there for Erotica singles original plans. They KNEW they had to count on a plan B and even a plan C.

I would go further to assume Warner was more than satisfied with such backlash after M pulling a Frank Sinatra and doing her own Reprise Records.

Guess we have similar pov's @Michael_Py btw, would love to know your take on my last paragraph.

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

It's theater... it's cabaret... It's absolute perfection.

Sometimes i play the tour and just admire how perfect everything is. Except for her lip synching in JML.

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

That performance of Like A Virgin is pure and utter genius. It's Madonna in a nutshell to me. The Girlie Show is absolutely perfect and I think it's a better show than Blond Ambition, it's also one of her most coherent tours when it comes to staging and storytelling. :)

Bye Bye Baby was a flop single choice and had the video edit of Fever been sent to radio it would have done much better.

Bad Girl actually killed the campaign if were honest. I love it but those vocals were certainly "raw" and unfiltered for the GOP and radio. She doesnt sound great tbh in the Mariah Whitney Celine era. 

Im so glad we got six singles though and while I Why Is It So Hard feels like a unifying single in a Heal The World style I think the title alone would have made radio programmers and those bored of her roll their eyes even further. 

Where Life Begins would have been a great single if the campaign had gone differently. Imagine the video!!

Words seemed like an obvious Rescue Me type single too. 

In This Life is a beautiful sentiment but a musical dirge and radio would have run a thousand miles in the other direction. Also making a song about your friends dying of AIDS as a promo release from your album isn't massively a great look. I know Janet did it with Together Again but that was more about celebrating a friends life rather than mourning his death. 

Erotica

Deeper & Deeper

Rain

Fever

Bad Girl

Would have been a better run TBH and the Bad Girl video could have been about her media chastisement. A pre-cursor to Human Nature .

If we are talking damage control it started all the way from Deeper & Deeper to throughout Ray Of Light with Bedtime and Something To Remember being masterclasses in public softening. I always laugh that Bedtime Stories acronym is B.S. and if you think that wasn't intentional on M's part think again. That 18 single run with three uptempo singles .....my god make it stop. Even Bedtime Story and Human Nature were downtempo non bangers. I'm surprised she ever released a ballad again after that awful staged managed era of her career. Remixes kept us alive. Rain radio remix is the absolute worst offender of the bunch and One More Chance while sweet had a bucket next to it in the studio that Madonna was being sick into between takes. 

1. Bad Girl
  2. Rain
  3. Ill Remember
  4. Secret
  5. Take A Bow
  6. Bedtime Story
  7. Human Nature
  8. You'll See
  9. I Want You
  10. One More Chance
  11. Oh Father
  12. You Must Love Me
  13. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  14. Another Suitcase In Another Hall
  15. Frozen
  16. Ray Of Light
  17. Drowned World
  18. The Power Of Goodbye

Madonna has never had three ballads from one album ever and despite people thinking its her dance party album it's actually ballads central. 

Music was the first era Madonna reclaimed her freedom and went balls out again. 

"Hey Mr Dj..put a record on

I wanna dance with my baby"

Was like she was literally saying. "The bullshit is over its time to dance with my real fans sorry for the wait"

It's like she was talking to me directly"

"Yes I like to boogie woogie mother"

2 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

It's theater... it's cabaret... It's absolute perfection.

Sometimes i play the tour and just admire how perfect everything is. Except for her lip synching in JML.

She also lipsynched Erotica and she usually lipsynchs Vogue. I didn’t mind the JML lipsynching cause that performance was actual genius and pure eyecandy. 

I never would have thought of a performance like that for a song like JML. Fucking amazing!

2 hours ago, kesiak said:

That performance of Like A Virgin is pure and utter genius. It's Madonna in a nutshell to me. The Girlie Show is absolutely perfect and I think it's a better show than Blond Ambition, it's also one of her most coherent tours when it comes to staging and storytelling. :)

This is honestly the first time I’ve seen people praise that 10 minute butchering of a classic. 💀

57 minutes ago, MPowered said:

She also lipsynched Erotica and she usually lipsynchs Vogue. I didn’t mind the JML lipsynching cause that performance was actual genius and pure eyecandy. 

I never would have thought of a performance like that for a song like JML. Fucking amazing!

This is honestly the first time I’ve seen people praise that 10 minute butchering of a classic. 💀

Flop off

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

So you wouldn’t like to see live performances of waiting, words etc back in 1993?