Singles... if Erotica never received damage control treatment

GhostOrchid

6 hours ago, kesiak said:

That performance of Like A Virgin is pure and utter genius. It's Madonna in a nutshell to me. The Girlie Show is absolutely perfect and I think it's a better show than Blond Ambition, it's also one of her most coherent tours when it comes to staging and storytelling. :)

Yes, I love that version. Though I am not sure I would say it's better than BA version.  Still, it's quite different, fun and enjoyable. At this point, she was hating that she had to perform this song, but how she re-invented it, almost mocking it yet paying tribute Marlene was genius.  I love it.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, McDonna said:

Yes, I love that version. Though I am not sure I would say it's better than BA version.  Still, it's quite different, fun and enjoyable. At this point, she was hating that she had to perform this song, but how she re-invented it, almost mocking it yet paying tribute Marlene was genius.  I love it.

It’s the original trolldonna. She was saying I don’t want to do this song but since you insist here is an unrecognisable version in a tribute to Dietrich. Fuck you all. It’s funny and a classic Madonna moment.

15 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

Why? 

I don’t think Waiting would have been very interesting live. And Thief of Hearts is better than Words so I’d prefer that before anything else. But in all honestly I think, if anything was to be added to this show it should be a few more well known songs. The complaints back then were that she was not doing enough hits.

Some album tracks we just don’t need live that badly. The more recent trend of her doing mostly new songs in place of classics is imo a let down for audiences. Nobody really wants Body Shop or Killers who are Partying at a Madonna concert.

7 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s the original trolldonna. She was saying I don’t want to do this song but since you insist here is an unrecognisable version in a tribute to Dietrich. Fuck you all. It’s funny and a classic Madonna moment.

Imagine if she did the same for all the old songs she would rather not sing like that La Isla Bonita, Vogue,  Holiday etc. - am glad she only applied it to one song lol 

On 10/1/2023 at 6:05 PM, Anapausis said:

Personally I wouldn't see Waiting working as a single on its own, unless GP were very receptive to Erotica single/SEX/Body of Evidence. Which would be very unlikely to happen at such time. Naturally Warner was prepared for the overreactions hence the little changing here and there for Erotica singles original plans. They KNEW they had to count on a plan B and even a plan C.

I would go further to assume Warner was more than satisfied with such backlash after M pulling a Frank Sinatra and doing her own Reprise Records.

Totally agree, Warner was supportive of Madonna but just until certain point I think. Maverick was giving more money to Madonna and less to Warner. 

Now that I think of, i think Thief of hearts could also have been a great single choice like Words. 

Madonna was going for an artsy album with underground house sound, it  was her and Shep’s intention. It would have sold better without the Sex backlash? YES, BUT either way far distant from her previous studio albums (I’m Breathless, Like a Prayer, True Blue, Like a Virgin, Madonna).

Yeah, I consider I’m Breathless a studio album and Erotica sold less than that album. 

Edited by Michael_Py (see edit history)

This would have been my perfect Girlie Show setlist:

Erotica

Fever

Vogue

Rain

Express Yourself

Deeper and Deeper

Why's It So Hard

Bad Girl

The Beast Within

Causing a Commotion (funny cabaret style)

Bye Bye Baby

This used to be my Playground

La isla bonita

Holiday

Justify My Love

Rescue Me

Everybody

This would be my perfect Girlie Show setlist:

Erotica

Fever

Vogue

Rain / Just my Imagination

Express Yourself

Deeper and Deeper

Whys it so Hard

In this Life

The Beast Within

Like a Wirgin

Bye Bye Baby

I’m Going Bananas

La Isla Bonita

Holiday

Justify my Love

Everybody is a Star / Everybody

On 9/30/2023 at 9:45 PM, GhostOrchid said:

We all know the brilliant Erotica album got a bit of damage control treatment by Warner Bros, who desperately tried to get it back on track commercially, and make some cash once the public turned against Madonna with the release of the lead single & video, Sex book and Body of Evidence movie. 

What do you think the singles and videos would have been, had it all gone according to the original plan? Here are my thoughts:

1. Erotica 

single and video (released as planned) >>> September '92

2. Deeper and Deeper

single and video (released as planned BUT earlier I think. they tried to make the people forget all about Erotica single as soon as possible- I think the originally planned date was about a month later) >>> December '92

3. Bad Girl / Fever (remixes)

single (released as planned, together with Fever remixes) BUT the video was supposed to be directed by Mark Romanek- as confirmed, who, the previous year directed K.D. Lang's Constant Craving, which Madonna loved, and was supposed to look similar to that one, kind of like the Secret video- b/w, smokey club performance. Instead, Warner opted for Michael Jackson-esque blockbuster video in style of "Who is it", also directed by Fincher who took over. All in effort to boost the MTV plays which declined with the previous 2 videos. Fever was supposed to remain only a club song >>> March '93

4. Waiting (feat. Everlast of House of Pain) / Bye Bye Baby (remixes)

This is where it gets interesting because this track was released as a b-side to Rain. House of Pain was the hottest band in the country at the time with "Jump Around" and Everlast was obviously recruited for a main single release (no way anybody would agree to a feature for a b-side). But Warner couldn't deal with another adult-themed song and lyrics (especially in Everlast's bit), so they pushed this one out. Instead, they got Daniel Abraham to remix 2 songs in more of a commercial pop style- "Fever" for video play (which was also not planned originally, and to try to capitalize from Fever remixes already being in stores and boost her MTV presence) and "Rain", for subsequent radio play and single release #4. Madonna obviously hated this decision because all this was in contrast to the image she was building for Erotica era, and she has largely ignored this song throughout her career, including this year when the single was released digitally and received ZERO mention on her IG, unlike all other digital releases >>> June '93

Bye Bye Baby remixes were obviously finished earlier and ready to be released, but I'm not sure if they were supposed to be the B-side of Waiting, or a separate 5th release to coincide with the tour. They were obviously cancelled in the US for not being commercial enough, because at that point Warner was trying to save a sinking ship and Madonna was no longer in control. 

So to summarize, in my opinion, the Erotica damage control consisted of: Bad Girl -Fincher video, Fever video, Rain single and video.

I could obviously be wrong, but this makes sense to me. Any thoughts?

IS bad girl even a good single for the general public ?

On 9/30/2023 at 10:11 PM, Pootz333 said:

For an era that is considered a flop or whatever, it had great singles. Ballads and dance. Gorgeous videos. Great remixes. Looks for days. A great tour. SNL. All of it has aged well... except the writing of the Sex Book (the imagery is great) and Body of Evidence. My only music gripe is "Bye Bye Baby". A lot of fans seem to love it and the house remixes but I never clicked with any of them. I would have gone with "Thief of Hearts" or "Words". You would think that her VMA performance for that era would be notorious but it's mostly forgotten in the grand scheme of her other major moonman moments. 

i dig this song..... catchy... but hated the remixes

On 9/30/2023 at 9:45 PM, GhostOrchid said:

We all know the brilliant Erotica album got a bit of damage control treatment by Warner Bros, who desperately tried to get it back on track commercially, and make some cash once the public turned against Madonna with the release of the lead single & video, Sex book and Body of Evidence movie. 

What do you think the singles and videos would have been, had it all gone according to the original plan? Here are my thoughts:

1. Erotica 

single and video (released as planned) >>> September '92

2. Deeper and Deeper

single and video (released as planned BUT earlier I think. they tried to make the people forget all about Erotica single as soon as possible- I think the originally planned date was about a month later) >>> December '92

3. Bad Girl / Fever (remixes)

single (released as planned, together with Fever remixes) BUT the video was supposed to be directed by Mark Romanek- as confirmed, who, the previous year directed K.D. Lang's Constant Craving, which Madonna loved, and was supposed to look similar to that one, kind of like the Secret video- b/w, smokey club performance. Instead, Warner opted for Michael Jackson-esque blockbuster video in style of "Who is it", also directed by Fincher who took over. All in effort to boost the MTV plays which declined with the previous 2 videos. Fever was supposed to remain only a club song >>> March '93

4. Waiting (feat. Everlast of House of Pain) / Bye Bye Baby (remixes)

This is where it gets interesting because this track was released as a b-side to Rain. House of Pain was the hottest band in the country at the time with "Jump Around" and Everlast was obviously recruited for a main single release (no way anybody would agree to a feature for a b-side). But Warner couldn't deal with another adult-themed song and lyrics (especially in Everlast's bit), so they pushed this one out. Instead, they got Daniel Abraham to remix 2 songs in more of a commercial pop style- "Fever" for video play (which was also not planned originally, and to try to capitalize from Fever remixes already being in stores and boost her MTV presence) and "Rain", for subsequent radio play and single release #4. Madonna obviously hated this decision because all this was in contrast to the image she was building for Erotica era, and she has largely ignored this song throughout her career, including this year when the single was released digitally and received ZERO mention on her IG, unlike all other digital releases >>> June '93

Bye Bye Baby remixes were obviously finished earlier and ready to be released, but I'm not sure if they were supposed to be the B-side of Waiting, or a separate 5th release to coincide with the tour. They were obviously cancelled in the US for not being commercial enough, because at that point Warner was trying to save a sinking ship and Madonna was no longer in control. 

So to summarize, in my opinion, the Erotica damage control consisted of: Bad Girl -Fincher video, Fever video, Rain single and video.

I could obviously be wrong, but this makes sense to me. Any thoughts?

oh i thought Daniel also remixed BYE BYE BABY too as heard at the VMA

On 10/1/2023 at 5:45 AM, Prayer said:

It had worked before with "JML". I'm sure they thought she could pull it off again. In a way she did, a Top 3 single with a song like that (I love it but it's not her most commercial piece ever) and no video (couldn't be aired) and all purely based on her name and the whole hype was a success. I mean who else could have a song like that on the radio then.

The book and all the bad press around it was the problem, really.

I never saw the video until 2 decades later.... only glimpses of dita during her interviews . I was so frustrated and anguished that there WAS a video...I WAS OBSESSED.... thank GAWD for youtube

3 hours ago, gst6662000 said:

i dig this song..... catchy... but hated the remixes

Like most Madonna songs, I'm sure with the right mix, I would love it. Her vocals and delivery are cool, but the production sounded dated to me at the time. The same could be said for "Thief of Hearts", but I just think it's a better song. And the house mixes sound really cheap to me in comparison to David and Shep's house mixes for her at the time. We need the stems so her fan remixers can mix it properly. They've been doing better mixes than the official ones for years. I would love to hear a dark electro version.

8 hours ago, Prayer said:

Unpopular opinion: I much prefer the original album version of "Fever" than the Edit One, Two, video version or whatever.

:Madonna003:

("The Girlie Show" live version is perfect, that is true).

Same !

Album version is best version. Very house very catchy. I don't understand the obsession for the video remix or the fucking Edit two...

When I used to ponder the coulda shoulda woulda’s of this album I’d imagine if the book didn’t happen and she released Waiting as the first single instead of Erotica. 

I’ve always found it strange she didn’t link Bad Girl to BOE. Not that it would have helped it at all, it just seemed so obvious, especially how into cross promotion she was back then.

The 2nd segment of TGS is perfect, especially ending w/ITL. It’s like a narrative, just like the LAV-PDP segment of BAT.

If anything should have been adjusted it was the insufferably overlong performances of Holiday and Everybody. She easily could have worked in another song- say, ITG, to either of them.