The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

1 hour ago, Dazedmadonna said:

Most artists use live autotune in their concerts nowadays, even other big ones like Taylor, Beyoncé (and also lipsynching, but that's nothing new).

It's nothing revolutionary or something to be shocked about.

It's true and I do agree with you. Autotune is used by many in pop music (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Bieber, even The Weeknd). 
I don't think Beyoncé uses it, but it's possibile and I can't say for sure because I rarely listen to pop music.

It makes great singers sound like they’re giving their best performance, addressing minor pitch issues now and then, especially when using IEMs, which can disrupt some singers' pitch sensitivity.
Conversely, it can worsen the performance of less skilled singers, as it may cause them to go even more out of tune by correcting notes to the nearest pitch (a wrong note if they're really out of tune). This was evident during Madonna's Eurovision LAP performance. If a singer frequently goes out of tune, it requires more settings than just the standard chromatic scale setting which is the most used.

It's not a revolutionary tool, and it shouldn't be shocking.

Personally, though, I prefer a more moderate use of it because it takes away a lot of emotion from the voice. I'd rather have substantial support from backup singers (similar to what she did on the Rebel Heart Tour) and autotune just in few parts. But I understand why she uses it; she no longer has the voice she had in the American Life era, and she probably has other things to focus on in her live.

I still prefer autotune to full lip sync. If I point out that she uses it (she doesn't use it on every single note of the concert, but she uses it extensively), no one should take offense 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

After watching different videos with the ending and properly the beginning. You can tell there's not intention of ever doing Celebration as a whole song. It sandwiches the whole show in between. Bob's intro has Celebration in it and Madonna's chanting finale has celebration in it to wrap up. And I think that works, we are used to have one bit hit as the finale.

I do think the end it's too fast thou. If the idea is this presented. They should have a longer or richer ending. we just had a big interlude when she has a break and you expect a bit more of  Madonna. But just about 6-10 minutes more, two mixed songs in between. And that will be rounded it up perfectly.

Maybe Hold Tight or Sorry are supposed to be in the last section ?

2 minutes ago, Valdu25 said:

Maybe Hold Tight or Sorry are supposed to be in the last section ?

Nope, I believe the show was cut short during the Manchester final rehearsals (that's when La Isla Bonita was added in also) so I don't think we have high chances of them re-appearing. I'd love to be wrong here but I'm not holding my hopes up. :suffer:

1 minute ago, Dazedmadonna said:

Nope, I believe the show was cut short during the Manchester final rehearsals (that's when La Isla Bonita was added in also) so I don't think we have high chances of them re-appearing. I'd love to be wrong here but I'm not holding my hopes up. :suffer:

Were they coreographed?

54 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

When she sounds horrible people are like: ohhh she can't and could never sing, when she sounds great people are like: It's not live, its lipsync,  When she uses a backing track people are like: It's not live It's lipsync... Arghh so anoying 

True Blue I know you mean well, but she has a billion dollars in the bank, is and forever will be the bar to whom everyone measures up to. She’s the ONE, a sold out tour with millions of adoring fans, this is the least annoying thing in the Madonna universe believe me. 

2 minutes ago, stefo said:

Were they coreographed?

The show before leaving for UK was exactly as we know it now minus La Isla Bonita (which was added in Manchester), Hold Tight which was in the same act of DCFMA and I Will Survive, and of course Sorry and Oh Father. Also Bitch I'm Madonna was supposed to be her holding a cross across the stage (she also had a black veil, those 2 things are the only differences) and also Celebration had no 'Music' sample. That's what I know!

1 minute ago, Dazedmadonna said:

The show before leaving for UK was exactly as we know it now minus La Isla Bonita (which was added in Manchester), Hold Tight which was in the same act of DCFMA and I Will Survive, and of course Sorry and Oh Father. Also Bitch I'm Madonna was supposed to be her holding a cross across the stage (she also had a black veil, those 2 things are the only differences) and also Celebration had no 'Music' sample. That's what I know!

These would be great additions, plus making the music sample longer in the end. To make an excellent amazing show even better 

6 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

Hi! any idea if the ending with Celebration was actually suppose to be so short or did they cut off a bit of it(I'm talking about the first night), cause I think everyone noticed it seemed way too rushed and people were just left confused? She just sits there alone and then goes under the stage and that's it? Not even some singing along with the crowd?

1 minute ago, IconicQueen said:

Hi! any idea if the ending with Celebration was actually suppose to be so short or did they cut off a bit of it(I'm talking about the first night), cause I think everyone noticed it seemed way too rushed and people were just left confused? She just sits there alone and then goes under the stage and that's it? Not even some singing along with the crowd?

Yeah the ending seem so rushed after the MJ M interlude 

1 minute ago, IconicQueen said:

Just now, Pedro Beltran said:

@Dazedmadonnaso the ending of London 1 is the ending as it is? 

I was always described 'Celebration' as the song where the dancers went out, kind of like an outro.

22 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

Thank you so much :cute: very interesting and it explains the reason why Don't cry for me has the drums in the background and with Hold Tight before also the peace message could have been stronger and clearer (the Ukraine flag and the faces of Rebel Hearts on the screens). The absence of Oh father is such a pity, considering that everybody is defining Bad Girl the highlight of this show.

She's still excellent in singing, especially when she's not dancing, I hope she is going to go more and more to this in the future years, pieces like NRM, LTT, BG, DAD are not less engaging than the most frenzied parts.

1 minute ago, steady75 said:

So that section was

Die Another Day

Don't Tell Me

Mother & Father

• Oh Father
  • Sorry
  • Hold Tight

I Will Survive

La Isla Bonita ( added)

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

???

I am confusion.

Just Hold Tight was in that same 'cowboy/no fear' section, the other 2 were a little earlier in the show.

6 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

I was always described 'Celebration' as the song where the dancers went out, kind of like an outro.

So this is indeed how they intended it? I had hopes that this was only a one off due to the curfew. The rest of the show looks nothing short of spectacular, but this closing is probably one of her weakest ever. How can they not see it? She didn't even say thank you goodnight.

12 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

It actually felt like an outro since the first view, it's like the bow moment, she says goodnight and the dancers (wich are all the performing cast) turning around her get their applause and leave the stage.

For me this could work, as the Bob's intro, she seems to have chosen a more informal, low key kind of attitude about the theatrics of beginning and closing.

One of the very few problems of this show is the last number honestly, I understand and like the drags in her career costumes but the number itself doesn't work as it could have imo, for the sloppy coreo (it's boring), the song choice and the lack of a proper musical climax. Such of a show would have deserved a proper ending, The power of goodbye would have been awesome.

1 hour ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

I don't mind if she lip-synchs a song when the choreography is demanding. Celine Dion is lipping two thirds of her shows and doesn't dance at all. But I H A T E it when she has her own album vocals playing along during performances such as NRM or Live To Tell. These are numbers where she's standing still. She's a singer after all and she's playing a concert. I expect someone with the professionalism and the talent that Madonna has to sing live without support in such moments. She has proven time and time again that she's capable of doing so. And yet she isn't, may it be a lack of nerves or a lack of training. But if people spend as much money as they do when they buy a ticket to her shows, they deserve someone who's in charge of their nerves and their instrument, here, her voice.

I pretty much agree here.

When she's doing choreography and is short of breath, it's normal for her to either lip-sync or use a pre-recorded voice at a volume equal to or even louder than hers. And if she's smarter, she can do what she's done sometimes (like Celebration during the MDNA Tour): lip-sync in parts where she's short of breath and out of tune and sing live in the easier parts.

However, having pre-recorded vocals underneath "Live To Tell" is a bit of a disappointment. The prerecorded voice is too loud and overshadows her live singing. In a song like that, she should sing it herself and use backup singers for the moments where she needs support. It's a bit of a shame; in fact, this performance, as beautiful as it is, doesn't quite compare to the Confessions Tour. There's less soul in it.

51 minutes ago, ShantiAshtangi said:

She is, I didn't doubt that. But having your lead vocals doubled up by playing studio lead vocals along your live vocals is simply lazy, I'm sorry. Turn up her mic if the music is too loud but don't do that. And what does her age have to do with that? She's 65 yeah but she hasn't lost her voice. She either doesn't care or doesn't dare to sing without pre-recorded support which I do not expect to happen at a live (!)-concert. And – and that's more important – she diminishes her own talents by doing so. Yeah, you could hear her live vocals stopping when she had to sneeze during ITG but you could also hear how loud her pre-receded vocals were. I'd say it's a 50/50-thing. And it is fuel to the fire of everyone who claims she cannot sing. She obviously thinks so herself.

It's clear that she has little confidence in her voice, she probably has her reasons. She certainly doesn't study singing as she did during the American Life era.

But it's perfectly normal for her to use pre-recorded vocals at the same volume as her own in songs where she's dancing and running low on breath.

45 minutes ago, Justice said:

Does anyone else think that Stuart Price didn't wow us like on Confessions Tour?

Yes, I was expecting some beautiful reinvention, as he has always done, but with respect to the original arrangements... somewhat like what he did for "Live To Tell" during the Confessions Tour. However, it seems like he has put very little of his own into it. But that's okay. I'm happy to listen to original versions (but why LAP is not the original one, why?)

19 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

She had already rehearsed La Isla Bonita months before, even before she faced a serious health situation. I had information about the setlist in May, and LIB was on it.

I also don't think we'll see Oh Father and Sorry, unfortunately. 
The show is very "packaged." Maybe we'll see Frozen instead of Rain... and I hope so because I found this version of "Rain" quite boring. Without the bridge, the song loses its reason for being.

Just now, IconicQueen said:

So this is indeed how they intended it? I had hopes that this was only a one off due to the curfew. The rest of the show looks nothing short of spectacular, but this closing is probably one of her weakest ever. How can they not see it? She didn't even say thank you goodnight.

Yeah its clear the show could probably have done with a bit longer for rehearsal tbh but she nearly died so Im glad we got a tour at all and though some bits are clearly a bit of a hack job its still incredible. 

4 minutes ago, stefo said:

It actually felt like an outro since the first view, it's like the bow moment, she says goodnight and the dancers (wich are all the performing cast) turning around her got their applause and leave the stage.

For me this could work, as the Bob intro she seems to have chosen a more informal, low key kind of attitude about the theatrics of beginning and closing. One of the very few problems of this show is the last number honestly, I understand and like the drags in her career costumes but the number itself doesn't work as it could have imo, for the sloppy coreo (it's boring), the song choice and the lack of a proper musical climax. Such of a show would have deserved a proper ending, The power of goodbye would have been awesome, but kind of too melancholy maybe, especially if surrounded by her old images.

Even the music of Take A Bow would have been camp as tits. its a bit more happy music that POG with Madonna just singing

"The show is over say goodbye"

//fireworks //

//black out //

a bit like the end of The Girlie Show

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)