The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

Take A Bow, This Used To Be My Playground, and The Power Of Goodbye all contain (hell, consist mainly of) lyrics that would imply that this is a Farewell Tour rather than a Celebration.  I firmly believe that is a huge part of why they are NOT on the setlist — and, frankly, I am more than okay with that as none of them are even close to being among my personal favs…

Yeah get rid of it, it's dumb. Another user made the good point the woman doesn't even move like Madonna. It's not a homage to both of them together, just him. Neither Michael or Prince, for that matter, would include a tribute for her in their show. It kinda irks me she caters to them... talk about the patriarchy.

Plus she already did something for MJ during S&S. Enough already.

44 minutes ago, gst6662000 said:

The first night was a disaster yes?

And the last songs are so rushed maybe cut short bec of curfew?

Calling the first night a "disaster" would be a bit dramatic.  Yes, there was a technical issue which delayed the show for 8 minutes, but Madonna made due and spoke with the audience which was quite nice. She spoke a bit more about her career past and joked with Bob. I would think that was an extra treat. Other than that, being the first night one can say, Madonna may not been at ease as she wanted.  But it's the first night.  It doesn't matter how many times you rehearse anything, the moment you do it for real in front of 20,000 people, there is bound to be some issues or trying to get the right vibe going.

I don't believe any song was cut for curfew the first night.  As for the second night, I'm awaiting for any official confirmation why she ended the show with Rain?

23 minutes ago, Markdonna said:

Take A Bow, This Used To Be My Playground, and The Power Of Goodbye all contain (hell, consist mainly of) lyrics that would imply that this is a Farewell Tour rather than a Celebration.  I firmly believe that is a huge part of why they are NOT on the setlist — .....

Good point.

44 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Calling the first night a "disaster" would be a bit dramatic.  Yes, there was a technical issue which delayed the show for 8 minutes, but Madonna made due and spoke with the audience which was quite nice. She spoke a bit more about her career past and joked with Bob. I would think that was an extra treat. Other than that, being the first night one can say, Madonna may not been at ease as she wanted.  But it's the first night.  It doesn't matter how many times you rehearse anything, the moment you do it for real in front of 20,000 people, there is bound to be some issues or trying to get the right vibe going.

I don't believe any song was cut for curfew the first night.  As for the second night, I'm awaiting for any official confirmation why she ended the show with Rain?

the last few minutes felt so rushed.... or the mic malfunctioning again....

56 minutes ago, Winn said:

Yeah get rid of it, it's dumb. Another user made the good point the woman doesn't even move like Madonna. It's not a homage to both of them together, just him. Neither Michael or Prince, for that matter, would include a tribute for her in their show. It kinda irks me she caters to them... talk about the patriarchy.

Whether fans want to admit it or not, Madonna likes to drop names and blow her relationships with dead people out of proportions. That said, she truly admires and respects the people she talks about and pays homage to.

17 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Whether fans want to admit it or not, Madonna likes to drop names and blow her relationships with dead people out of proportions. That said, she truly admires and respects the people she talks about and pays homage to.

But how do you know that she doesn't admire or respect MJ? Just because he took pot shots at her several times, doesn't mean she doesn't admire or respect what he's accomplished, etc. She may have genuinely enjoyed the time she spent with him over the years. I could be wrong, but she really has never said a bad word about him.  I know she had constructive ideas in changing his look and such back in the day, but as far as I recall she's always been respectful towards MJ even though he hasn't been reciprocal to that.

Still MJ and her made a lot of press back in 1991. It was a big moment in music history.  So why wouldn't she mention it?

1 hour ago, Winn said:

Oh no no. The tribute is fantastic!!! 

They were THE KING and THE QUEEN of everything, you had to be there to have experienced it, they are called the holy trinity (I doubt people recognize the prince tribute though).

By doing this Madonna once again uses the media and the message at her favor, the tribute reminds people of her status and that she’s the only one still alive. I found it very moving and lovely (the guys wouldn’t have done it because they were always jealous of her and they are dead now). 

What I would have done is tie in with the performance of like a virgin, the vail she’s rocking in the last segment works perfectly even the circular stage, I don’t understand a long video followed by a very short ending (we still don’t know how long it really is). 

17 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

They were THE KING and THE QUEEN of everything, you had to be there to have experienced it, they are called the holy trinity (I doubt people recognize the prince tribute though).

By doing this Madonna once again uses the media and the message at her favor, the tribute reminds people of her status and that she’s the only one still alive. I found it very moving and lovely (the guys wouldn’t have done it because they were always jealous of her and they are dead now). 

What I would have done is tie in with the performance of like a virgin, the vail she’s rocking in the last segment works perfectly even the circular stage, I don’t understand a long video followed by a very short ending (we still don’t know how long it really is). 

I was there back in the day, already a huge fan and collector. Their date a  big part of music history? Ehh. Frankly I remember the press reporting more on her actual performance and giving a shout out to General Schwartzkopff. To be fair though, I never paid much attention to MJ and could've just tuned all that out.

Definitely agree that Madonna, MJ, and Prince were the 3 biggest pop stars in the 80s, lemme make that clear.

1 minute ago, Winn said:

I was there back in the day, already a huge fan and collector. Their date a  big part of music history? Ehh. Frankly I remember the press reporting more on her actual performance and giving a shout out to General Schwartzkopff. To be fair though, I never paid much attention to MJ and could've just tuned all that out.

I don’t think the date is important, it’s only a tiny part of the total, a total of their own histories, status and their own relationship to music.

I never cared for MJ but I can’t deny who he was in the musical landscape of the world (with all his crazy cuckoo stuff). 

38 minutes ago, androiduser said:

30 minutes ago, McDonna said:

But how do you know that she doesn't admire or respect MJ?

I said that she does, I believe she truly respects him, and Prince and everyone else she pays tribute to.

57 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Yes, I understand her sentiment and I believe she respects them and their work, but it seems tacky, especially on a tour that's about her 40 years in the business. They are a grain of salt in her story, it feels forced.

They would never do something similar for her. It's weird to see Madonna trying to get validation, like “Look, I'm as big as them and I'm still here!!”. I don't mind the Prince part so much, it seems like an ester egg and he was part of LAP, so... Something like that, less direct, would work better for MJ too.

16 minutes ago, DiegoLCL said:

Yes, I understand her sentiment and I believe she respects them and their work, but it seems tacky, especially on a tour that's about her 40 years in the business. They are a grain of salt in her story, it feels forced.

They would never do something similar for her. It's weird to see Madonna trying to get validation, like “Look, I'm as big as them and I'm still here!!”. I don't mind the Prince part so much, it seems like an ester egg and he was part of LAP, so... Something like that, less direct, would work better for MJ too.

I don’t understand this “they wouldn’t it do for her” part it is not a competition. Nobody is keeping the score… 

Tacky??? Have you seen half o Madonna’s work? My sugar is raw anyone? 

I would pay more attention to the horrible chainsaw massacre paintings than this honestly, if she let go whatever pity or grudge this guys had with her why wouldn’t they fans? 

6 hours ago, Leandro Gomes said:

After watching many videos of the show, I can definitely say that I loved it. However, it’s not perfect and could be much better with some tweaks, in my opinion.

Main issues: the narrative is not always clear, there are some very anticlimactic moments (Papa Don’t Preach, Human Nature, Crazy For You, La Isla Bonita), The Beast Within interlude (again???!!!) and the closure.

I would start the show in the future. Bob could state this, to be clear, and we have the same beginning with Nothing Really Matters followed by Bedtime Story, Ray of Light, Frozen intro and first verse tied to full Rain (including the bridge), and leading into the Ghosttown chorus “When it all falls...”. At the end of the song, we see the first “Madonna of the past” in a Like a Virgin wedding dress and the real Madonna tells her “Not everyone is coming to the future because not everyone is learning from the past”. The Like a Virgin / Billie Jean interlude begins (I loved it), and then we go back in time to NY in the early 80s.

Then we have Everybody, Into the Groove, Open Your Heart and Holiday leading into the same incredibly beautiful Live to Tell (no Burning Up, we need to save some time and this one is cut). Then the same Unholy/Act of Contriction intro, Like a Prayer (adding the second verse), the same Living for Love interlude leading into the Erotica segment.

I would merge Erotica and Justify My Love (songs and choreography) to save some time to at least have the first verse and chorus of Papa Don’t Preach when Madonna finds her old Blond Ambition self (which is genius). Then the Fever snnipet, Hung Up (only the original, bye Tokischa) and (the wonderful) Bad Girl.

The same Up & Down Suite interlude, Break My Soul/Vogue mashup (including the second verse and bridge please!), the ballroom funny thing and full Crazy For You as a sweet moment (no Human Nature here).

A new little interlude is needed here, not the long, recycled and out-of-place The Beast Within. It could be Human Nature, with the screens showing her political side (fighting misogyny, homophobia, ageism, etc. – another interlude has some of these images that could be relocated). So I would replace Die Another Day with Express Yourself (keeping the same witch costumes and similar choreography), followed by Don’t Tell Me as it is. A little talk about family, then Mother and Father (although I prefer Promise to Try), more talking (freedom fighter, revolution of love bla bla bla), a snippet of Rebel Heart playing guitar and La Isla in full (I Will Survive karaoke and Don’t Cry for me Argentina are cut). Her “old self” could appear again here, perhaps the same “No Fear” from American Life.

Then we would see the I Don’t Search I Find interlude, which I think works better introducing the final act (but not that long, remember we moved some scenes to the previous interlude), the same GMAYL chants, the same Bitch I’ m Madonna with the drag queens dressed in her iconic looks, and a revised and longer encore: a medley with Celebration, Give It To Me and Music, ending with “Nothing really matters, love is all we need”, referencing the first song and becoming full circle as she loves!l

The show would go like this:

Bob’s intro

Nothing Really Matters

Bedtime Story

Ray of Light

Frozen / Rain / Ghosttown

Like a Virgin / Billie Jean interlude

Everybody

Into the Groove

Open Your Heart

Holiday

Live to Tell

Unholy / Act of Contriction intro

Like a Prayer

Living for Love interlude

Erotica / Justify My Love

Papa Don’t Preach

Fever

Hung Up

Bad Girl

Up & Down Suite intro

Break My Soul / Vogue

Crazy For You

Human Nature interlude

Express Yourself

Don’t Tell Me

Mother and Father

Rebel Heart

La Isla Bonita

I Don’t Search I Find interlude

GMAYL / Bitch I’m Madonna

Celebration / Give It To Me / Music

I tried to keep the runtime the same and only make a few small but effective changes. What do you guys think?

well that doesn't make any sense. It's supposed to be chronological order. why are we starting with the future? also Celebration / Give It 2 Me (Again)?  I'm sorry, but do you see her doing that again? Knowing Madonna, she'll never make Human Nature an interlude of any kind unfortunately. Love the addition of Rebel Heart. Add Express Yourself above Crazy for You or Add Human Nature there with elements of Express Yourself and its perfect.

The Human Nature presence is abrupt, but I think that, if we consider it not more than a mention wich serves the storyline, is not that bad. The police dancers interrupt the ballroom and they start tighting her with leather bands, it just represents the intimidations wich drags and gays had to bear till the early 80s. And of course it's a reference to this kind of attitude against sex freedom in general. When her HN persona comes to kick them out and free her, she sings this sweet and kind of melancholy Crazy for you, following her out with the "Absolutely no regrets" statement that goes into the political performance for The beast within.

It's all one flow, that's what I mean. This show has many transitions like this, I'm taking it as the Papa don't preach, Fever, Living for love hints that do not evolve into a proper performance.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic