The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

19 minutes ago, stefo said:

Wow, this is interesting for me.

It's the first time I hardly understand why people is not satisfied about her. I'm not criticizing, I want to specify it, at all. I'm usually very critical myself, I have to say. I found quite cold and not that interesting the much acclaimed MDNA tour and much much much worse the tragic Sticky and sweet experience.

There are some flaws here too, of course. Yes, maybe some performances could have been shorter, like the Holiday raw intro, The beast within and Billie Jean/Like a virgin - wich is nice though and it opens the finale, making a point about the pure iconicity of M character, image and spirit of decades of pop, just as MJ, Burning up could have been substituted by a rock reinvention of some other old hit, La isla and Rain are weaker than what they could have been, especially Rain - but some theatrics addition could still be made - and, after the first two parts, the show is much less explanatory, so one really has to know her story to understand what she's saying. At the same time these points are a few for me in comparison to the sophisticated and selfconscious tale she presents. 

I think this show brilliantly represents the essence of Madonna's story: the light and fun disco girl who quite soon becomes commited and participating about cultural and social issues, arriving to challenge the common morality and not begging pardon for this, finding a complete balance and strenght in her family and her, standing still on her positions and going on expressing her point of view about politics and society. I mean, her themes are all there (the AIDS plague, the Catholic morality percieved as oppressive, sex freedom, the support for the LGBTQI+ community, her mother loss, her family, the discovery of a new kind of priorities - this is maybe the only point wich suffers a little opacity. Her looks and most famous dance steps are all in (the OYH chair, the vogueing, the HU disco routine, the DTM folk dance, the hands oriental Frozen moves).

I think one central thing the shows does well, which Mary Gabriel's book also does, is to re-contextualise Madonna as someone who is an *artist* and who came from a scene of artists. Her medium is pop but she's a peer of Warhol, Haring, Basquiat. She has never and will never be about just singing cute pop songs.

https://www.allure.com/story/madonna-celebration-tour-hairstyles

As the name of the tour suggests, the show is a celebration of Madonna's entire career — the '80s pop tartlet, the '90s glam girl, the Ray of Light spirituality, and everything in between. The musician, who has long been known for her powers of transformation, switched up her hairstyles as a nod to some of those iconic eras and, once again, I'm left speechless by the power of backstage glam teams to make such big changes so fast. Let's check out the main looks from the Celebration tour, shall we? (Spoiler alert: If you're trying to avoid secrets from the show, do not scroll down!) 

1782973019_madonnacelebrationtourhairwaves.thumb.jpg.4d92456ed747ba5805a9821a63738d4c.jpg

9 minutes ago, Debord said:

What's the point of going to a show by who is presumably your favourite artist and worrying about what folk who haven't paid attention to her in years, many of whom will 100% be absolutely vicious about her when it suits, are thinking? The show is overwhelmingly for her fans with some concessions to a more general audience. And I don't like that folk keep pushing this idea that there was mass disappointment in the arena - my non-Madonna loon friend who I went with said it was one of the best concerts he'd ever seen and I heard folk talking about how amazing it was on my way out/home. My Insta is absolutely rammed with folk whom I know aren't hardcore fans talking about how it was one of the greatest shows they've ever seen, cos most folk haven't seen a pop concert like it.

Oh thank you, your general public feedback is regenerating. I do believe she deserves a proper acknowledgement this time. This is the time to do that for me, to stop bitching and say how great she was and still can be (if she really wants :devil:)

I like the show, I hope at some point she switches out I Will Survive to acoustic of Frozen or some other ballad (though I'm willing to also replace Rain for Frozen because we already got Bad Girl and Frozen is a lot better than Rain imo). Also Don't Cry For Me Argentina is kind of a odd choice, considering it was picked over Express Yourself, Frozen and Material Girl. If it was up to me that one would be removed.

I hope she won't replace Rain, it took almost 30 to hear it again live, while Frozen was on DWT, RIT, Madame X...there a better things to replace, the Human Nature/Crazy For You part is weird maybe with Take a Bow or Nothing Fails would have worked better. DCFMA , The Beast Within RIT, and the final segment are also improvable parts. Rescue Me, Secret, Express Yourself could improve some parts and Papa Don't Preach in full glory (I can imagine how disappointed people feel to see that after the hype for violins of the intro there's nothing more) 

2 minutes ago, Draculaura said:

I hope she won't replace Rain, it took almost 30 to hear it again live, while Frozen was on DWT, RIT, Madame X...there a better things to replace, the Human Nature/Crazy For You part is weird maybe with Take a Bow or Nothing Fails would have worked better. DCFMA , The Beast Within RIT, and the final segment are also improvable parts. Rescue Me, Secret, Express Yourself could improve some parts and Papa Don't Preach in full glory (I can imagine how disappointed people feel to see that after the hype for violins of the intro there's nothing more) 

if she really wanted to finish the show with BIM/Celebration then she would have to cut the whole segment after "The Beast Within" interlude... meaning she would go straight into Bedtime Story after Crazy For You

1 hour ago, Debord said:

I think one central thing the shows does well, which Mary Gabriel's book also does, is to re-contextualise Madonna as someone who is an *artist* and who came from a scene of artists. Her medium is pop but she's a peer of Warhol, Haring, Basquiat. She has never and will never be about just singing cute pop songs.

AMEN!!

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)