CbT: What setlist adjustments would you make?

MaDöner Kebab

• Nothing Really Matters
  • Everybody (with elements of Where's The Party during the song and Celebration as an intro)
  • Into the Groove (with the original lyrics and elements of Causing a Commotion)
  • Open Your Heart
  • Holiday 
  • Live to Tell (with elements of In This Life as an intro)
  • Controversy (video interlude featuring footage of iconic scandalous moments and statements with elements of Survival, I Don't Search, I Find, Human Nature, Veni Vidi Vici, What It Feels Like For  A Girl, Rescue Me, Give It 2 Me)
  • Erotica/Justify My Love (with elements of Bye Bye Baby as an intro, You Thrill Me during the song, and Fever as an outro)
  • Papa Don't Preach (with elements of Oh Father)
  • Hung Up/Sorry
  • Bad Girl (with This Used To Be My Playground as a piano interlude)
  • Vogue (with elements of 4 Minutes as an intro, Deeper and Deeper during Ballroom part)
  • Frozen/The Power of Good-Bye (video interlude)
  • Die Another Day
  • Don’t Tell Me
  • Medley - a different set for every show (Borderline, Beautiful Stranger, Dress You Up, True Blue, Keep It Together, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Cherish, Take a Bow, Secret, You'll See, Ghosttown, Crave, The Look of Love, Angel)
  • La Isla Bonita/Who's That Girl
  • I'll Remember (video interlude)
  • Bedtime Story
  • Ray of Light (with elements of Substitute for Love)
  • Rain
  • Like a Virgin (video interlude)
  • Like a Prayer (original version, with elements of Girl Gone Wild and Act of Contrition as an intro)
  • Express Yourself
  • Lucky Star
  • Music (with elements of GMAYL and Bitch I'm Madonna)

I saw show 4 x in London and on reflection I would only make a couple of changes

- perform the original chorus in Into The Groove

- swap out I Will Survive and rotate different classic M songs depending on how she feels on the night targeting rarely performed tracks

- switch between Rain and Frozen each night 

few changes both in setlist and staging

original ITG lyrics for sure

different interlude for TBW, something that makes it more clear that we are entering her spiritual awakening with DAD, the destroying of ego could also be made visual by destroying her past selves, the language used is too stand alone-ish, I also feel that TBW could use some MG elements as it is her most loathed song.

LIB I'm not really feeling the importance of the song here, as great as it is live something more connected to the theme of that part of the show would work better, but not sure what it would be.

BS I understand the lyrics but the performance and the version played is a bit meh. The cube is a great idea but the imagery on the screens is kind of pointless. Taking cues from the original video and make a surreal fever dream would make the point better (maybe using the warped images of the promo campain and letting them merge into some sort of alien futuristic avatar M)

Rain full song please includimng the bridge and the double coda, how great is the line "standing on a mountain top and wait for you to call my name" to close the show before it's finale. I would also change the backdrop here, the frozen imagery doesn't fit unless it would be more focused on the transforming dress.

LAV/BJ scratch this whole disaster. This interlude could be so impactful by doing a full on dramatic medley of snippets of songs etc of everything not used in the show. Think of all the dramatic intros of past tours merged into one with crowds chanting her name in the background. I like the shadows but why not make a compilation of classic M moves and silhouettes, all the other screens can show live feed of the crowd mixed with archive footage of her audience. And sure MJ can walk in very briefly during a LAV/Bj moment, but just for a few bars.

Finale is fine the way it is even though I could imagine BIM including a few lines from signature songs as interpolations when she encounters that particular Madonna clone.

English is not yet the official language of the world, much less in Latin America, so I think it would be a very good idea for Madonna to replace Bob with another Drag Queen of Latin origin who speaks in Spanish so that all attendees can understand what he is saying. I think keeping Bob would be disrespectful to the audience because they wouldn't understand anything Bob says throughout the show unless subtitles were put on the screens, but I think that would be too much to ask.

What I am asking for is not something crazy or absurd. It's simply about adapting to the characteristics of your audience. Even in this forum when someone writes in a language other than English they are asked to write only in that language out of respect for other members. Something similar should apply to Madonna: out of respect for the majority of her Latin audience, replace Bob. And in Latin America there are plenty of options.

17 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

English is not yet the official language of the world, much less in Latin America, so I think it would be a very good idea for Madonna to replace Bob with another Drag Queen of Latin origin who speaks in Spanish so that all attendees can understand what he is saying. I think keeping Bob would be disrespectful to the audience because they wouldn't understand anything Bob says throughout the show unless subtitles were put on the screens, but I think that would be too much to ask.

What I am asking for is not something crazy or absurd. It's simply about adapting to the characteristics of your audience. Even in this forum when someone writes in a language other than English they are asked to write only in that language out of respect for other members. Something similar should apply to Madonna: out of respect for the majority of her Latin audience, replace Bob. And in Latin America there are plenty of options.

English is quite literally the world language. She won't sing her concert in Spanish or Portugese either, so why would she replace the person narrating the show? 😂😂😂

15 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Considering English is not the official language of any city the tour has been to other than London and everyone has gotten on just fine I don’t see why she would do this for Latin America. 

That’s, frankly, a ridiculous request. 

On 11/8/2023 at 5:47 PM, MPowered said:

English is quite literally the world language. She won't sing her concert in Spanish or Portugese either, so why would she replace the person narrating the show? 😂😂😂

The problem here is not Madonna but Bob. His job is to narrate Madonna's adventures from the beginning of her career, but the problem is that English is not yet widely used in Latin America. Perhaps the younger generations will not have this problem because they lived at the same time as the beginnings of modern globalization and the information age and because of this they will have certain knowledge and notions of the English language.

But in the case of more advanced generations, let's say between 40 and 80 years of age and who are the age range that most characterizes Madonna fans, they will definitely have problems understanding what Bob says and will not be able to enjoy it one hundred percent this wonderful experience that Madonna seeks to offer to the public.

If Madonna does not pay attention to this detail when she visits Latin America then Bob's presence will be for many people in this part of the world simply insignificant and unnecessary as they will not be able to understand a bit of what he says and they will miss that narrative side that so characterizes and differentiates this tour from all of Madonna's previous ones.

1. Nothing Really Matters
2. Everybody
3. Into the Groove (original version)
4. Burning Up
5. Open Your Heart
6. Holiday
7. Live to Tell
8. Like a Prayer
9. Erotica
10. Justify My Love
11. Hung Up (chorus to Deeper and Deeper song as the bridge)
12. Bad Girl
13. Vogue
14. Human Nature / Crazy for You
15. Secret (heavily remixed with some spoken words / The Beast Within mashup)
16. Die Another Day
17. Don't Tell Me
18. Promise to Try (with the string outro from Don't Tell Me weaved into the melody / snippet of Mother and Father / snippet of Oh Father)
19. I Will Survive
20. La Isla Bonita
21. Ghosttown
22. Bedtime Story
23. Ray of Light
24. Rain (better harmonious mix - adding the bridge at the end with that round light thing being the "sun" on 'here comes the sun...and I say never go away...' to end the song)
25. Dress You Up (keep the silhouette on the screen but it's current Madonna and she's doing the Virgin Tour silhouette thing before appearing...then the other Madonnas are dressed as her)
26. Bitch I'm Madonna

10 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

The problem here is not Madonna but Bob. His job is to narrate Madonna's adventures from the beginning of her career, but the problem is that English is not yet widely used in Latin America. Perhaps the younger generations will not have this problem because they lived at the same time as the beginnings of modern globalization and the information age and because of this they will have certain knowledge and notions of the English language.

But in the case of more advanced generations, let's say between 40 and 80 years of age and who are the age range that most characterizes Madonna fans, they will definitely have problems understanding what Bob says and will not be able to enjoy it one hundred percent this wonderful experience that Madonna seeks to offer to the public.

If Madonna does not pay attention to this detail when she visits Latin America then Bob's presence will be for many people in this part of the world simply insignificant and unnecessary as they will not be able to understand a bit of what he says and they will miss that narrative side that so characterizes and differentiates this tour from all of Madonna's previous ones.

Girl, this is just absolutely delusional.

1. Nothing Really Matters
  2. Where's the Party?/Everybody
  3. Into the Groove
  4. Burning Up (on Electric Guitar)
  5. Open Your Heart
  6. Holiday/Celebration
  7. Live to Tell
  8. Like a Prayer/Unholy
  9. Act of Contrition (Interlude)
  10. Erotica/Papa Don't Preach
  11. Hung Up on Tokischa/Gimme Gimme Gimme
  12. Bad Girl (on Piano)
  13. Up-Down Suite/Vogue (Ballroom Scene)
  14. Veni Vidi Vici (Interlude)
  15. What it Feels Like For a Girl
  16. The Beast Within/Justify My Love
  17. Die Another Day
  18. Don't Tell Me/Ring of Fire
  19. Promise to Try
  20. I Don't Search, I Find (Interlude)
  21. Survival/I Will Survive 
  22. Human Nature (with mashup elements of Sorry)
  23. Another Suitcase in Another Hall
  24. Sactuary (Interlude)
  25. Bedtime Story
  26. Ray of Light (Ultra Violet Mix)
  27. Take a Bow *(or Rain, or Frozen)
  28. Like a Virgin/Thriller
  29. Causing a Commotion
  30. La Isla Bonita 
  31. Bitch I'm Madonna
  32. Express Yourself

@Rory I don't know if she would perform a song which isn't penned by her to remind her audience of a performance she did back at a time when she had a band where she was the lead, and whose songs were solely written by her, LYRICS AND MELODY.

While redundant after being performed at RHT, there's no substitute possible for Burning Up. Deal with it.

1 hour ago, Anapausis said:

@Rory I don't know if she would perform a song which isn't penned by her to remind her audience of a performance she did back at a time when she had a band where she was the lead, and whose songs were solely written by her, LYRICS AND MELODY.

While redundant after being performed at RHT, there's no substitute possible for Burning Up. Deal with it.

The song could be just omitted and there wouldn't by any video background with Madonna's rock band. It isn't a big deal.

9 minutes ago, Justice said:

The song could be just omitted and there wouldn't by any video background with Madonna's rock band. It isn't a big deal.

Talking by this perspective, the most important event which turned M into a real musician (in Madonna's own words) would be omitted from her biopic in form of a music tour. It isn't a big deal indeed.

3 hours ago, Anapausis said:

She could really do any song as a rock rendition to represent the rock band phase. It doesn’t have to be Burning Up.

Burning Up was not written during her band phase. I'll stick to what I've said before: Lucky Star would have been a more interesting choice considering that a rock rendition of it could give it a new interesting twist and represent her transition from rock to dance music.

29 minutes ago, MPowered said:

She could really do any song as a rock rendition to represent the rock band phase. It doesn’t have to be Burning Up.

Burning Up was not written during her band phase. I'll stick to what I've said before: Lucky Star would have been a more interesting choice considering that a rock rendition of it could give it a new interesting twist and represent her transition from rock to dance music.

I like Burning Up but I also like when she plays Borderline on guitar. I prefer both of these over Lucky Star. A BU Borderline mix on guitar works for me

39 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Well, it was definitely from her Emmy and the Emmies time, I would dare to say she wrote it BEFORE finding her Emmies, after being out from both Gilroy's life and The Breakfast Club. M and Stephen Bray prevented this song from being recorded during Camille Barbone time otherwise song would be in litigate state like Get Up and High Society. They had plans to it right after the Barbone departure/lawsuit.

Lucky Star was written at a different time of her life when she was already with a contract to Sire Records as a dance artist at a time dance music was a freshingly new genre. Unlike Burning Up, which was written at a time M was unsure to be a singer or band vocalist after leaving The Breakfast Club, Lucky Star was written at a time when M had already 2 or 3 singles released and was already adamant in her purpose to rule the world.

Summing up: Burning Up was her start to her as a singer/band vocalist/musician/songwriter in her own terms after realizing that she could be all these things with Trouble, Tell the Truth and her very first songs. Lucky Star was at a posterior time.

If there's a song that could properly replace Burning Up, it's OVER AND OVER, since it was started being written during her The Breakfast Club, as proved by Gilroy when he leaked a snippet of it by the time M was inducted to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame; but the final version found on Like a Virgin album should differ from that 1978 demo; plus it's attached to a time when she wasn't the BOSS, unlike BU. M's ego would never acknowledge Over and Over as a song linked to when she lived in a deactivated synagogue in Queens, as much as she hasn't acknowledge so far the demos which were reworked to her Stay song. To M, Burning Up was the START OF ALL THE JOURNEY. And as I said: DEAL WITH IT. I won't say another word about this anymore. Feel free to rewrite M's herstory as you want.

I agree Burning Up is the only choice here other than Everybody, being it connects to her early roots in discovering she wanted to become a lead singer. 

52 minutes ago, Burning Up 4 Madonna said:

If I could change one thing she would be singing LAV live.

Yes, I wish she sung it live too.  I think what she did is cute, but it really deserved to be performed live. 

18 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

What exactly did you smoke today? 🤔