Which songs make you think "Madonna CAN SING."

6 hours ago, Gonzus said:

Bob Dylan sings horribly and he was there. When he sings he sounds as if his testicles were being pressed. Lou Reed was a terrible singer too, and what about the New Order singer? However, Madonna is always attacked for her singing. True, she doesn't have a wide vocal range, but neither do have it  Minogue or Spears, whose voices are irritating, mediocre and unbearable to listen to to me; what's more, what they lack is expressiveness and emotion, which Madonna has in spades. Or at least had,  prior to her ruining vocal lessons, which took away all the fun in her voice.

"More" (From Dick Tracy) is a perfect showcase for her singing talent. It's a very difficult song to sing.

Wow I'm glad u mentioned the new order singer ......he was..... Well kinda.....

Kylie and Britney well do they sang nasally?

6 hours ago, Gonzus said:

Bob Dylan sings horribly and he was there. When he sings he sounds as if his testicles were being pressed. Lou Reed was a terrible singer too, and what about the New Order singer? However, Madonna is always attacked for her singing. True, she doesn't have a wide vocal range, but neither do have it  Minogue or Spears, whose voices are irritating, mediocre and unbearable to listen to to me; what's more, what they lack is expressiveness and emotion, which Madonna has in spades. Or at least had,  prior to her ruining vocal lessons, which took away all the fun in her voice.

"More" (From Dick Tracy) is a perfect showcase for her singing talent. It's a very difficult song to sing.

Wow so the voice lessons ruined her voice..... Interesting.......

1 hour ago, gst6662000 said:

Wow so the voice lessons ruined her voice..... Interesting.......

Keep in mind, that's just one person's opinion.  I don't believe the same and nor does a lot of others.  But what I will say before she had any voice lessons, her vocals had a unique aching rawness to them.  She wasn't particularly trying to sound so perfect before the lessons.  When she first got lessons for Dick Tracy soundtrack, you can tell her voice did strengthen quite well.  She proved that with her Sooner or Later performance for the Oscars in '91.  And then again, during the Evita songs when she got further lessons.  Before the voice lessons, she never was able to sing as well as she did especially when she recorded ROL.  There were notes she never reached before.  

I personally don't think she's trying as hard as she used to when singing especially live.  But I do think if she put her heart and soul in singing live, she can really put off a stunning vocal performance. I think she hits and misses these days, but it's not a huge deal for me because singing live is exhausting, especially as you get older.  :)

6 hours ago, A. A. Aardvark said:

that's her - i've had singing lessons voice
it is a bit of a daft question though
anyone can sing
not everyone can perform

I don't think so. You have to have a musical ear, which you are born with. And I don't think performing is very important

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

Keep in mind, that's just one person's opinion.  I don't believe the same and nor does a lot of others.  But what I will say before she had any voice lessons, her vocals had a unique aching rawness to them.  She wasn't particularly trying to sound so perfect before the lessons.  When she first got lessons for Dick Tracy soundtrack, you can tell her voice did strengthen quite well.  She proved that with her Sooner or Later performance for the Oscars in '91.  And then again, during the Evita songs when she got further lessons.  Before the voice lessons, she never was able to sing as well as she did especially when she recorded ROL.  There were notes she never reached before.  

I personally don't think she's trying as hard as she used to when singing especially live.  But I do think if she put her heart and soul in singing live, she can really put off a stunning vocal performance. I think she hits and misses these days, but it's not a huge deal for me because singing live is exhausting, especially as you get older.  :)

She screams in that performance, which I love anyway, but screaming is not singing

30 minutes ago, Gonzus said:

OMG, thank God she isn't Dion. She is as bizarre as she is tacky. BTW, why doesn't anyone talk about her late REVERED husband having sex with her when she was 13??

I always joke with my friend about Celine’s behind the music episode where she romanticizes it. She talks about how one night he gave her a “different kiss that was so so tender” and I’m just like wow you weee a 13 year old and this almost 50 year old fat guy was tucking you in.  Like what?!

10 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

What a stupid thread... She showed many times she can sing. 

One of the answers is " Crazy for you " , wich kicked " we are the world "  from the nr 1 spot on the charts.... Revenge 💅

Serves them well for not including Madonna. I mean, glad she wasn't there. I don't like this song anyway. 

I’ve read that she had singing lessons as far back as 1979 when she spent six months in Paris. Camille Barbone paid for further lessons in 1980-81.

and she again had vocal training for the Virgin tour to sustain multiple performances. 

vical traisning is totally normal in her profession, and training covers many vocal styles and techniques.

i think the Sondheim songs in late 1989 were the earliest theatrical and technical sounding style we heard. Agree with a post above that this technical style feels a little more detached and less emotive. I still love it though

10 hours ago, McDonna said:

Who's her vocal coach? 

28 minutes ago, Candy Perfume Boy said:

I’ve read that she had singing lessons as far back as 1979 when she spent six months in Paris. Camille Barbone paid for further lessons in 1980-81.

and she again had vocal training for the Virgin tour to sustain multiple performances. 

vical traisning is totally normal in her profession, and training covers many vocal styles and techniques.

i think the Sondheim songs in late 1989 were the earliest theatrical and technical sounding style we heard. Agree with a post above that this technical style feels a little more detached and less emotive. I still love it though

Yes she has had vocal training since very early on her carreer, much more than people tend to think. But yes, big change was 1995. As a studio singer, she is amazing and I love her singing on her many eras, special mid 90s till mid 2000s. 

As a live performer, as we always say, she had her high and low moments. I think she doesn´t have a natural talent for singing in the sense other female singers have, but to me at some point she excelled and as performer she is much better than some of this screaming divas. It´s just some of her live vocals as eurovision or rol on mtv were out of key and not well done. But when she tried and did it good, I love her even in live settings.

I think the story "Madonna can't sing" is just because when she began she was too threatening to society and to artists (she was given the public something new and they were afraid they lose their confort zone). She was considered a whore and it was easy to say "She can't sing" to make her look less than the others. She had an incredible personality, she was a strong woman, she was an incredible dancer so I guess they tried to despise her using her weakest weapon (not because her voice was bad, just because she was better dancing, giving good faces, and don't giving a damn to what people say... so the best way to criticize her was "She's a singer and she can't sing". But I think she showed she could sing with "Love don't live here anymore" for the first time.

When people say she can't sing, most of the times is like saying "She don't have a great voice"... But, do you think that songs like "Material girl" or "Holiday" need a good voice? It's not that she doesn't have a good voice, is that she doesn't need to use it for some of the songs. I mean, when I watch "Like a virgin" sang by Birtney on MTV I think it sounds good and funny... when Xtina  sings her part with the "next to miiiiiineeeee oooooh uuuuuuh yeah" it's like... "Ok, too much! We know you have a great voice but this version doesn't need it". And now, the problem is that she uses so much effects on her DVDs with her voice that people thinks "If she edited this too much is because she can't sing".

But as some said here she has really good songs where she probes she can sing. "Love don't love here anymore", "Crazy for you"; "Papa don't preach", "Live to tell", "Like a prayer", "He's a man", "Bad girl", "Ray of light", the "Evita" soundtrack... I guess that people who says she can't sing doesn't like Madonna (as a persona) and it doesn't matter if she makes the best vocal performance in history.... they will keep saying that.

People who don't like her just say she can't sing because they don't like her  - but her voice is amazing in how she puts a song across and the emotion and story telling in her voice and the fact it is not technically as perfect only increases her connection and realness when listening to her songs - her voice is so unique like Freddi Mercury you know straight away it is Madonna when you hear her. Even her star quality and charisma comes through in her voice wether singing or spoken word part of songs. Think her voice sounds great on dance/pop tracks and ballads too but she doesn't do them much now.  This was why Madame X and MNDA were so frustrating as you hardly heard her sing or her real voice because the vocals were so overproduced in the case of MDNA or over use of vocoder on Madame X

17 hours ago, McDonna said:

12-13 is quite typical for most to start independently discovering their own music tastes.  This is a time when we as humans start to seek independence away from our parents and authority.  Madonna was up and coming at the time I really started to dive in to music.  Of course, I was always drawn to music, but like most really started exploring more music on my own by the age of 12 and 13.  By 14 and 15, I had a pretty decent collection of 45's and albums.  But yes, I agree, Madonna is far much better of a singer than the media tried to portray.  Even watching back the Virgin Tour more recently, I thought her vocals were really good.  WTG has some vocal challenges, and BAT wasn't always perfect but then there was TGS which I thought her vocals were really strong.  With Madonna, we know she isn't a strong vocalist, but she can sing.  It's just she has to try harder than some of the Whitney Houston's and Celine Dion's of the entertainment world.  There's nothing wrong with that because I tend to like artists more who aren't the greatest singers because in a lot of cases they are more creative and interesting.  :)

I agree that age is quite typical age when you start to take music much seriously. 

Of course, I was listening to songs before that age but those were either children songs or Sineae O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U :smile: really, my mother keeps telling me that it was my absolutely most favorite song as a kid. I was singing it constantly when played on (M)TV as 6yo. But actually, I don't not remember any of that. I was just a kid so I wouldn't consider that being a real fan. Only when you're 12-13yo, you start to take music seriously, explore genres, different singers.

At that time, all my friends were crazy about Britney Spears - Oops, I Did It Again.. And then there was me. Crazy about Music (song) by this, at that time, unknown and completely new singer to me - Madonna. And when I finally got close to Music (album), my mind blew off. Music was so much different than any other pop album at that time, I immediately fell in love with it. Soon after that, I started my 'Madonna journey' and it was a ride, IT WAS A RIDE! It was like going back in memories I didn't even know I have. I was so surprised she has so many hits...

Frozen - this one is also sung by her?! Incredible 

Secret - I vaguely remember this "mmm somethings coming over" from my childhood, this is also her? Crazy

Vogue - oh yeah, I remember now this one is from Madonna as well 

And then experiencing Erotica era 

And then 80s.. Her biggest era.. So many dance anthems I somehow knew but I suddenly realized these all are HER songs. 

I absolutely didn't care she is not the best vocal singer out there. She was (and still is) the best pop singer. This is anyway a pop business, not a singing competition. She needs to be able sing, but also be a business(wo)man, entertainer, creative person, marketing person etc and she managed to do that all perfectly.