Which songs make you think "Madonna CAN SING."

Love. Don't. Live. Here. Anymore.

What I've always felt held Madonna back was the production on her albums. The sound just isn't as epic as could be to carry her voice.

The vocals on ldlha could've made it a monster hit alongside classics by Foreigner, Phil Collins, Tina Turner, Ultravox and Bruce Springsteen. But Nile Rogers as a producer just didn't have that kind of vision to elevate the record beyond the teenybopper draw of bubblegum pop, or to at least convince Madonna to take the album in that direction. True Blue suffers from the same malady; despite its surface brilliance, there's still that bubblegum pop flavour in there instead of that mature adult orientated rock feel that would have given her more of an equal footing amongst her peers, and thus the respect. Jimmy Jimmy? Love Makes The World Go Round? Scheherazade with Peter Cetera has great backing vocals on it by Madonna that demonstrates she can hold a note and a tune. Patrick Leonard as producer with a lot of same session musicians Madonna worked with, so why is it a better record than half the stuff on True Blue?

But I digress... The evidence was there all along that she has got a voice and she can use it. 

I really don't get that when it comes to great Madonna vocals the Who's that girl tour is over looked. She gave some of her best live vocals on that tour imo 

And dancing at the same time at some... some of these are not in sync ( sound and video wise) but im to lazy to search for other ones... lol

27 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

I really don't get that when it comes to great Madonna vocals the Who's that girl tour is over looked. She gave some of her best live vocals on that tour imo 

And dancing at the same time at some...

I don't think it's over looked, but there are some moments in the tour where her vocals are a bit off.  The one that always sticks out to me is Live To Tell.  I realize it's a hard song to sing and I think she sounds worse today singing it on Celebration Tour.  Her best vocals for that song was Confessions Tour.  But here, it was just okay.

4 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I don't think it's over looked, but there are some moments in the tour where her vocals are a bit off.  The one that always sticks out to me is Live To Tell.  I realize it's a hard song to sing and I think she sounds worse today singing it on Celebration Tour.  Her best vocals for that song was Confessions Tour.  But here, it was just okay.

On many dates she sounded fine singing this ( live to tell) at the Celebration Tour, it's one of the best vocal performances that tour to me... Mostly sounding loud, clear and with a bit of emotion...

And ofcourse some songs where a bit off, but i never see any vocal praise online for Who's that girl tour or Blond Ambition, but she had some amazing moments there vocally ( to me) 

14 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

On many dates she sounded fine singing this ( live to tell) at the Celebration Tour, it's one of the best vocal performances that tour to me... Mostly sounding loud, clear and with a bit of emotion...

And ofcourse some songs where a bit off, but i never see any vocal praise online for Who's that girl tour or Blond Ambition, but she had some amazing moments there vocally ( to me) 

But let's be honest, those two tours she does have some vocal hiccups.  While during TGS, she's dancing her ass off and singing great.  I don't disagree that WTG and BAT has some great vocals, but there are times she doesn't always sound the greatest either and honestly we can probably say that about every tour she's done. Again, Live to Tell on Celebration Tour is probably her worse vocal when singing that song. Especially when you compare it to this great live vocal of the song...

2 minutes ago, McDonna said:

But let's be honest, those two tours she does have some vocal hiccups.  While during TGS, she's dancing her ass off and singing great.  I don't disagree that WTG and BAT has some great vocals, but there are times she doesn't always sound the greatest either and honestly we can probably say that about every tour she's done. Again, Live to Tell on Celebration Tour is probably her worse vocal when singing that song. Especially when you compare it to this great live vocal of the song...

Every tour has vocal hiccups yes, you said it yourself. Still Who's that girl and Blond have great vocal moments, you said that yourself also lol.. i never said the performances of those tours where ALL perfect. But lots of them are and got not enough credit in subjects like this. 

I don't agree with you on Live to tell, because to me she sounds better singing it at Celebration than on Who's that girl and Blond Ambition. 

To me the Celebration performances is just as great as the confessions performance on many nights vocal wise. And if you take the whole package of the performances i prefer Celebration over Confessions. But it's fine if you think otherwise... We all got our own preferences 🥰

12 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Every tour has vocal hiccups yes, you said it yourself. Still Who's that girl and Blond have great vocal moments, you said that yourself also lol.. i never said the performances of those tours where ALL perfect. But lots of them are and got not enough credit in subjects like this. 

I don't agree with you on Live to tell, because to me she sounds better singing it at Celebration than on Who's that girl and Blond Ambition. 

To me the Celebration performances is just as great as the confessions performance on many nights vocal wise. And if you take the whole package of the performances i prefer Celebration over Confessions. But it's fine if you think otherwise... We all got our own preferences 🥰

Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree regarding the Celebration Tour because I think she sounds the worst. The big difference is she's singing a long with a backing track which can very well be heard, and then you hear her singing live over it, and it just doesn't sound as great as she's sung it before.

Anyway, I don't think many overlook WTG, but I think she's had so many fantastic tours after that with some really superb vocals, it sorta blows WTG vocal performances out of the water at times. 

10 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree regarding the Celebration Tour because I think she sounds the worst. The big difference is she's singing a long with a backing track which can very well be heard, and then you hear her singing live over it, and it just doesn't sound as great as she's sung it before.

Anyway, I don't think many overlook WTG, but I think she's had so many fantastic tours after that with some really superb vocals, it sorta blows WTG vocal performances out of the water at times. 

Even if it's with a backing track on Celebration Tour, her live singing can be heard verry clearly singing this song, and mostly sounding better than the Who's that girl or Blond Ambition performances of this song ... cmon, she's 65 here, and sounding good. And this isn't even the best, but i went quickly to youtube to share it. Got little time lol..

15 minutes ago, McDonna said:

This one for example sounds verry good, yes there is a backing track but yes you can hear her live vocals just fine ( the other tours got backing singers so... ) and again , considered her age she sounds pretty good...

1 minute ago, True Blue 84 said:

This one for example sounds verry good, yes there is a backing track but yes you can hear her live vocals just fine ( the other tours got backing singers so... ) and again , considered her age she sounds pretty good...

You keep confusing what I'm saying...... I NEVER said she WASN'T singing live or you can't hear her live vocals. In fact, I specifically said you CAN hear her singing over the backing track and it's doesn't always sound great.  I've yet to hear her sing this song as great as she did on Confessions than this current tour. She even sung the song better on BAT and WTG.  

3 minutes ago, McDonna said:

You keep confusing what I'm saying...... I NEVER said she WASN'T singing live or you can't hear her live vocals. In fact, I specifically said you CAN hear her singing over the backing track and it's doesn't always sound great.  I've yet to hear her sing this song as great as she did on Confessions than this current tour. She even sung the song better on BAT and WTG.  

Just now, McDonna said:

I agree this is one of the few times she actually sounds decent, but again the backing track is really carrying her on this one.

Im not confused what your saying. We just dont agree... and the backing track is not carrying her imo because she can be heard loud and clear, if the backing track was carrying her that would not be the case.  

If you would have to rank this performances vocal wise yours would be 

1 Confessions 

2 Who's that girl 

3 Blond Ambition 

4 Celebration 

Mine would be 

1 Confessions/Celebration 

2 Who's that girl 

3 Blond Ambition 

Lol i have a feeling we can never agree on this one.. we agree on many things on here actually... 

10 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Im not confused what your saying. We just dont agree... and the backing track is not carrying her imo because she can be heard loud and clear, if the backing track was carrying her that would not be the case.  

If you would have to rank this performances vocal wise yours would be 

1 Confessions 

2 Who's that girl 

3 Blond Ambition 

4 Celebration 

Mine would be 

1 Confessions/Celebration 

2 Who's that girl 

3 Blond Ambition 

Lol i have a feeling we can never agree on this one.. we agree on many things on here actually... 

Once again, the backing track does very much carry her. Other times when she's singing much louder than the video posted, you can tell she's off key a lot of time. And no, I would rank...

1 Confessions 

2 BAT

3 WTG

4 Celebration 

During the process of choosing an artist who will be the object of my admiration, there are many aspects that I take into consideration, such as the quality of their musical works, their versatility in different musical genres, their personality, that they have good physical appearance and in especially their voice. That is why I am proud of the quality of the artists I admire, very few indeed, such as Christina Aguilera, Shakira and in this case Madonna whose album, Ray of LIght, is the perfect album to contradict any incredulous who doubts the quality of her voice.

That is why it saddens me that with the passage of time, Madonna has neglected this very important aspect in later albums and even more so with the use of autotune. But seeing her sing live on this tour has reactivated my hopes of once again enjoying that wonderful voice that captivated me so much to the point of becoming a fan of her back in 1999. Because as they say, dreaming costs nothing.

8 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

Once again no and no 😉

So I'm not allowed my opinion?  Sorry, but you might want to learn that people have different perspectives than you that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.  Of course, I am very aware my post is subjective, but so is yours!  There is no absolute wrong here in what we've been discussing.  It's simply subjective!  I'm fine with your choices, so be respecful of mine.