Medellin 5 Year Anniversary

Debord

"Medellin" isn't just a song to me—it's a piece of my life. Back in 2016 when I was 20, I left my tiny german hometown to spend a year doing voluntary work in Medellin. That year changed everything for me. I picked up Spanish, fell head over heels for Reggaeton, and had the kind of adventures I'd only ever dreamed about. Medellin was also where I first really got to embrace my identity, amazing parties and meeting my first boyfriend. It was wild, freeing, and eye-opening in so many ways.

Fast forward a couple of years, and Madonna (who I've been absolutely obsessed with since 2005) drops Medellin with Maluma, who was my Reggaeton fave at the time. It felt like the universe was giving me a nod. The song hit me hard because it was like reliving those Medellin vibes. It's probably why Medellin has been a staple in my Spotify Wrapped for the last five years. It's more than nostalgia; it's a reminder of a time when I felt completely alive and so happy with myself.

Honestly, I wish there were demos or anything extra from that Medellin just to keep that magic going. Sorry but Medellín really gives me hardcore maincharacter vibes.

13 hours ago, Prayer said:

Still fresh. I also remember my first listen and be surprised but happy overall. Everyone (me included) expected the usual Maluma dirty reggaeton smash, but instead she gave us this smooth, cool, almost nostalgic song. I also liked that sonically it was something different for her, right where "Body Shop" had left in the previous album. She tried something different.

I took a pill and had a dream...

The video is still one of her best of last decade and I'd even say one of her best ever...

And the chemistry between them was always cute to see:

Slow down on the criticism, papis!

+100000000000

2 hours ago, DiegoLCL said:

Medellín is a tune!

I love its sonic weirdness, the structure, the fact that the song breathes within its length. The lyrics are good to the point that even the drinking reference feels unforced this time (I hate the drinking references to Girl Gone Wild, Give Me All Your Luvin' and Bitch I'm Madonna).
Even Maluma is above his standards lyrically and their chemistry is off the charts. I Like how he seems protective of her at the same time he's in awe that it's "MADONNA".

And the video is great too.

+1000000000 

The song is A M A Z I N G 

33 minutes ago, WopaelWopael said:

"Medellin" isn't just a song to me—it's a piece of my life. Back in 2016 when I was 20, I left my tiny german hometown to spend a year doing voluntary work in Medellin. That year changed everything for me. I picked up Spanish, fell head over heels for Reggaeton, and had the kind of adventures I'd only ever dreamed about. Medellin was also where I first really got to embrace my identity, amazing parties and meeting my first boyfriend. It was wild, freeing, and eye-opening in so many ways.

Fast forward a couple of years, and Madonna (who I've been absolutely obsessed with since 2005) drops Medellin with Maluma, who was my Reggaeton fave at the time. It felt like the universe was giving me a nod. The song hit me hard because it was like reliving those Medellin vibes. It's probably why Medellin has been a staple in my Spotify Wrapped for the last five years. It's more than nostalgia; it's a reminder of a time when I felt completely alive and so happy with myself.

Honestly, I wish there were demos or anything extra from that Medellin just to keep that magic going. Sorry but Medellín really gives me hardcore maincharacter vibes.

Love it!

1 hour ago, WopaelWopael said:

How beautiful. Glad to see another Medellin stan here!

My honest opinion is that at first, I was a bit disappointed.  I didn't feel like it was a strong vocal or debut.  It was the video that help me enjoy it more, and then with more listens, I was able to appreciate it more.  While I am not hating on it, there are better songs on MX than this. But I understand why this was the universal single.  "Crave" seems to be the most commercial and universal single to me, but I think with Medellin she was hoping to release something different than what is expected. I think she did so.   Over the years, I've appreciated this more than when I first heard it.  I appreciate she was trying something a bit different here, even though it didn't hit like many of us hope it would be.

21 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Everyone knows I’m the biggest Madame X stan in existence! Love this song, album and era. What a fucking time to be alive. I miss it so much

200.gif

I love this song so much! Such a stronger song than people give it credit

The 1, 2, 3 punch of the first three tracks of Madame X is glorious 

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

How could I forget Reggie Lucas! Poor him, always the forgotten one on that debut album. But he was basically hired because of this #1 hit he also co-wrote and co-produced:

This music video always cracks me up, she's just so happy cause she's IN LOVE!

Result: "Borderline" - Madonna's first US Top 10 hit ever.

Damn... she just got that good dick. 

Also can't believe I never knew this song was so similar to Borderline, that intro!!

I like the lyrics of the verse and the crystal quality of the voice in them.

The chorus "ven conmigo" is very weak instead. The postchorus "si te enamoro" is much better but comes in too late.

I wonder if it's always been coinceved as a duet.

What I don't like is that a Portuguese-inspired album ends up confusing so many different Latin cultures. Medellin has nothing to do with Lisbon.

The video has good ideas (cha cha lesson for instance) but then goes off the rails with too many elements (the initial prayer, the horses, that horrible grotesque marriage scene).

38 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I like the lyrics of the verse and the crystal quality of the voice in them.

The chorus "ven conmigo" is very weak instead. The postchorus "si te enamoro" is much better but comes in too late.

I wonder if it's always been coinceved as a duet.

What I don't like is that a Portuguese-inspired album ends up confusing so many different Latin cultures. Medellin has nothing to do with Lisbon.

The video has good ideas (cha cha lesson for instance) but then goes off the rails with too many elements (the initial prayer, the horses, that horrible grotesque marriage scene).

I love a lot this song and video with Madonna and her Hispanic male friend. 

10 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Here is another! 

11 hours ago, Shoful said:

Everyone knows I’m the biggest Madame X stan in existence! Love this song, album and era. What a fucking time to be alive. I miss it so much

200.gif

I really think this was the best lead single from the album. The song is so smoothly addicting. "I took a pill and had a dream..." so easily surfaces to the mind on random occasions. Lots of hooks, both subtle and overt. And it introduces such a different type of era so appropriately.

16 hours ago, Enrico said:

But Madame X is so many things and she's travelling around the world. I don't think the intention was to make a "portuguese-inspired" album.

I mean, you could link a different place/culture to each of these songs: Medellin and Bitch I'm Loca/Colombia, Future/Jamaica, Batuka and Funana/Cape Verde, Come Alive/Morocco, Ciao Bella/Italy, Faz Gostoso/Brazil, Dark Ballet/France, God Control/USA ...