Madonna: Recent

groovyguy

Madonna Compares Herself to Picasso, Says Creativity Doesn't Have an 'Expiration Date'

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6641092/madonna-compares-herself-to-picasso-says-creativity-doesnt-have-an

Madonna thinks artists deep into their careers should stop if they don't have anything more to say. But at 56, the singer says she still has things to talk about, and in short, she feels like Pablo Picasso."I like to compare myself to other kinds of artists like Picasso. He kept painting and painting until the day he died. Why? Because I guess he felt inspired to do so," she said. "Life inspired him, so he had to keep expressing himself, and that's how I feel."Madonna released her self-titled debut album in 1983, and her latest album, Rebel Heart, earlier this year. She said the key to sticking around is her continual desire to inspire others."I don't think there's a time, a date, an expiration date for being creative," she said. "I think you go until you don't have any more to say."The pop icon will launch her Rebel Heart Tour on Sept. 9 in Montreal. The tour includes more than 60 shows across North America, Europe, Australia and Asia."The theme I really truly explore in this show more than anything is love and romance," she said in a phone interview from her home in New York City last week. "I want people to walk out like they're feeling inspired and like they've seen something they've never seen before (and) felt something they've never felt before."Comedian Amy Schumer, whose new movie Trainwreck opened impressively at No. 2 with $30.2 million last weekend, will open for three Madonna shows in New York."She's a role model for women, and I am too, and I think it's a good match," said Madonna, who added that the idea to bring Schumer on board came from the singer's management team. "I love her and ... I just thought, `That's interesting.' (I'll) try something new and different rather than the usual run-of-the-mill - have a band, have a DJ. It's definitely a new thing. I hope it works - fingers crossed."Madonna says picking the set list for her upcoming tour has been hard, mainly because she wants to sing her newest songs but also satisfy her longtime, die-hard fans."I realize I have 32 years of other songs, so I have to pick and choose. I sit there for weeks and weeks and weeks trying to figure out which of my old catalog I want to do," she said. "It's a puzzle that we have to put together `cause thematically the songs - the old and the new - they have to go together; sonically they have to go together."She's even picky about the costumes onstage."What people wear, from their footwear to the buttons on their jacket, is all very important to me," she said.

Old Madonna clips make appearance in new Pixels movie
Reported by various people already and the review by the Boston Herald [ http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/movies/movie_reviews/2015/07/film_review_pixels ] confirms it; Madonna makes an appearance in the brand new Pixels movie in the form of old interview clips from the 80’s.

Here’s an excerpt from the film review:
And then there’s the aliens’ amusing habit of communicating with Earth by way of old Madonna clips, Hall & Oates music videos, and (at one point) a giant talking replica of Max Headroom. Pop-cultural nostalgia, of course, practically constitutes its own genre by this point, and “Pixels†is hardly the first feature-length valentine to our fondly remembered mass-entertainment touchstones.

OFFICIAL : Madonna will appear on A$AP Ferg's upcoming album!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6642149/asap-ferg-madonna-pharrell-new-album

A$AP Ferg in the Studio With Madonna & Pharrell, Working on New Album
A$AP Ferg's next album is crazy -- or so says Madonna, Pharrell, and Missy Elliott. In a recent interview with Revolt TV, the Trap Lord artist announced his next album release. "I'm working on my album. The album is coming out this year, definitely," he said. 

Definitely is a strong word coming from the artist who also claimed the album would be coming out this summer. Yet, we're willing to hold off for a little longer. From what we've heard so far, it looks like the wait will pay off. 

"I got a lot of collaborations on there, I got a lot of my own songs on there. So far, everybody I played it for said it’s crazy. I was in the studio with Pharrell, I was in the studio with Madonna, and they said, 'oh, this is crazy.' Missy said it's crazy," he told Revolt TV. 

With an A-list crew like this, we don't blame Ferg for taking his time. This year or next, crazy or not, it's safe to say that Ferg is getting his fans excited for this next release. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://drownedmadonna.com/madonna-on-screen-new-book-about-all-madonna-movies-starring-and-directing/20150820

“Madonna: On Screen†is a new book written by Chris Wade about all her movies, starring and directing, with pictures and info.
Although Madonna‘s music has been universally successful for over 30 years, with critically acclaimed albums and Number 1 hits, her film career is a very different matter. With her debut starring role in Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) released just as her second album Like A Virgin was making her a star, it looked as if movie stardom would be achieved on a similar scale. But with critically mauled and ill received flops such as Shanghai Surprise and Who’s That Girl, Madonna’s film career has not always been a smooth ride. In this book, Chris Wade explores all her movies, from those early starring roles, her supporting roles in big hits like Dick Tracy and A League Of Their Own, the critically savaged bomb Swept Away and her more recent directorial work. Featuring insights into the films and a host of images, the book delves deep into her troubled relationship with cinema and the film critics themselves, but also points out her talent on screen. Of her role in Desperately Seeking Susan, screenwriter Leora Barish told me “She slipped into the role and it fit her like a glove because it was kind of like her own bad-girl Boy Toy persona at the time, and on top of that, she rocked it. I think she especially connected with the amoral, pseudo criminal, selfish, powerful, curious, improvisational qualities of Susan.â€

Chris Wade is an English writer and musician. He runs the acclaimed music project Dodson and Fogg (which has featured Nigel Planer, Scarlet Rivera and others), worked with Rik Mayall on his comedy audiobook Cutey and the Sofaguard, and has written numerous fiction and nonfiction books.

Email: wisdomtwinsbooks@hotmail.com

“Madonna: On Screen†is already available. You can buy the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle/dp/B013P ... eos_detail (it is possible to read a preview in the Kindle edition),
on Lulu http://www.lulu.com/shop/chris-wade/mad ... 24672.html
and on Wisdom Twins Books.http://wisdomtwinsbooks.weebly.com/books.html

Posted Image

Pitchfork 200 Best Songs of the 1980s

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9700-the-200-best-songs-of-the-1980s/1/

17. Madonna, “Into the Groove†(1985)With two hit albums, Like a Virgin rising in the charts, and one wild MTV wedding cake performance behind her, Madonna’s career was in a very sweet spot in 1985. So it’s no wonder the It Girl would make moves in Hollywood, starring in Susan Seidelman’s Desperately Seeking Susan. It’s there, in the closing credits of the movie, that a demo version of "Into the Groove" was not just heard, but also essentially released."Music can be such a revelation," preaches Madonna on "Into the Groove", yet again making the dance floor a place for physical and emotional freedom. Playing shy, she bounces between earnestly begging for company and aggressively making her partner dance right to win her affection. While songs like "Borderline" and "Dress You Up" were successful dance-pop tracks, nothing Madonna had put out was as club-appropriate as "Into the Groove". Penned by Madonna and songwriter Steve Bray, "Into the Groove" was initially intended for producer Mark Kamins. But Madonna thought it would suit her new movie well, much to the chagrin of Kamins.The fact that Madonna would give the song such an unconventional debut shows how strong her popularity was at the time and how big of a hit the song really is. With filming finishing right before Like a Virgin was out, Desperately Seeking Susan swiftly became a Madonna vehicle before its release. Ratings were lowered specifically to accommodate the star’s teen fanbase and lead Rosanna Arquette was seen as a supporting actress in Madge’s shadow. The unpolished demo didn’t even land on the film’s soundtrack and was only available as the B-side to "Angel" in the U.S., but it’s still regarded as one of Madonna’s best dance tracks. —Hazel Cills50. Madonna, “Like a Prayer†(1989)Madonna filed for divorce from Sean Penn two months before she released "Like a Prayer", the title track to the 1989 album that would cement her as a serious songwriter and an unstoppable cultural force as she entered her thirties. In anticipation of her fourth album, Madonna would grace the covers of Interview, Rolling Stone, and Spin. Like a Prayer was her most visible album to date, and also her darkest."This is reality, and reality sucks," Madonna said in her Interview cover story. She was describing her initial vision for the "Like a Prayer" video, which was apparently even more brutal than the one that scandalized the Vatican, but the statement undercuts the whole song, too. Written toward the end of an abusive marriage, "Like a Prayer" sees Madonna assume a pose of surrender. Its gospel triumph comes only from its embrace of absolute darkness—"everyone must stand alone," she sings into the emptiness. Then she’s falling from the sky, calling to God, or really just any power that will listen. She’s singing from her own rock bottom, waiting for someone—anyone—to carry her back up to the top. —Sasha Geffen106. Madonna, “Borderline†(1984)Released in 1983, "Borderline" is one of the first laid bricks in the cathedral of Madonna’s mythology, four minutes of emotional helium that became her first Top 10 hit on the heels of an iconic music video. In the clip, Madonna closes the gap between the club kid she was and the glamorous star she’d become as she plays her two beaux—a Latino tough boy and a snobby British photographer—off each other. Ironically, while lyrics refer to the gnawing desolation one might feel while navigating a relationship in which they don’t have any power, Madonna has total control in the video. She makes the tough boy miss his shot at the pool table by simply standing in the doorway; she spray paints the photographer’s car, causing him to flip out. She takes the energy from the song—a bubblegum instrumental given weight by her legible vocal performance—and uses it to dispel all the lingering demons from that bad relationship. There’s so much charisma, it’s easy to see why this was the song that catapulted her toward being the biggest pop star in the world. —Jeremy Gordon

Dangerous Games in Blu Ray format will be released on October 27, 2015

Posted Image
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1080p
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Discs: Blu-ray Disc; Single disc (1 BD)

Playback
Region A (B, C untested)

Dangerous Game (1993)
From the director of Bad Lieutenant comes this absorbing look at the dark side of Hollywood. Vividly raw and shocking, Dangerous Game stars two of today's most passionate and controversial performers: Harvey Keitel and Madonna. Although he's an experienced director, nothing can prepare Eddie Israel (Keitel) for what occurs on the set of his new project. Helming a film about an abusive marriage, Eddie gets incredibly real performances from his actors. But more horrifying than the scripted violence is the fact that the brutality begins to seep off the set and into real life. As Eddie becomes more involved with his production and, specifically, his leading lady (Madonna), he too becomes entangled in this terrifying trap — one where the fantasy world of his film becomes his haunting reality.

Director: Abel Ferrara 
Writer: Nicholas St. John 
Starring: Harvey Keitel, Madonna, James Russo, Reilly Murphy, Victor Argo, Leonard L. Thomas 

• 1 month later...

Take a pow: Madonna visits Detroit youth boxing program

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/10/01/madonna-visits-downtown-detroit-youth-boxing-program/73177182/

The Material Girl visits Detroit’s Downtown Boxing Gym and mixes it up with the program’s students

Ahead of her “Rebel Heart†tour stop at Joe Louis Arena on Thursday night, Madonna visited Detroit’s Downtown Boxing Gym on Wednesday.

The Material Girl stopped by the youth gym on Detroit’s east side and visited with children from around 6-7 p.m., said Jessica Hauser, Downtown Boxing Gym’s executive director of fundraising. Madonna has made several donations to the after-school tutoring program, which helps kids age 7-18 with academics and athletic training.

“She’s so great with the kids,†Hauser said. “She gets right in the mix with them, and she’s right at home with them.â€

Madonna’s arrival was preceded by around 20 of her dancers and members of her philanthropy team. She also donated 100 floor tickets to her Joe Louis Arena concert to the program’s students and their parents, Hauser said.

Madonna posted a pair pictures of her visit to her Instagram page. “Downtown Youth Boxing Gym is the place to be!!†she wrote underneath one of the pictures, which showed her interacting with one of the program’s students.

This is not Madonna’s first interaction with the Downtown Boxing Gym. In 2014, she donated an undisclosed sum of money to the organization which helped move the program from a 4,000-square-foot former car wash on St. Aubin between Warren and Forest — which she also visited — to its new location, a 27,000-square foot facility at the corner of East Vernor and Beaufait.

The free program currently enrolls 65 elementary, middle and high school-aged students at a cost of $1,200 per student, Hauser said. The program runs daily from 2:30-7 p.m. and includes academic tutoring, college preparation, interview training and mentorship in various life skills — not just boxing.

The program was founded in 2007 by Carlo “Coach Khali†Sweeney. Since its inception, it boasts a 100-percent high school graduation rate for its students.

Over the summer Eminem, through his record label Shady Records and his Marshall Mathers Foundation, held a fundraiser for the gym tied to the film “Southpaw.†The amount of money raised was undisclosed, but Hauser said the goal of raising enough money to enroll 15 additional students in the program was reached.

The gym has a waiting list of more than 500 hopefuls.

"Madonna among the A-list contenders nominated for the 2016 Songwriters Hall of Fame"

NEW YORK (AP) — George Harrison, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Madonna, Tom Petty and John Mellencamp are among the A-list contenders nominated for the 2016 Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Blondie, Gloria Estefan, the Isley Brothers, Sly Stone and Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards are also up for the top honor. Winners will be inducted next June in New York City.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame gave The Associated Press a list of the nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Tuesday.

Nonperforming songwriters nominated for the honor include Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Berry Gordy, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Max Martin, who has co-written No.1 hits for Britney Spears, Katy Perry, the Weeknd and Taylor Swift.

Eligible members have until Dec. 11 to submit their votes for three non-performing nominees, two performing nominees and one deceased nominee.

Performing nominees also include Michael McDonald, Tom T. Hall, Jeff Lynne and Steve Miller, while Lionel Bart, Bert Berns and Roger Miller are among the deceased nominees.

Additional nonperforming nominees include Teddy Riley, Rudy Clark, Dallas Frazier, John D. Loudermilk, Bob McDill, Chip Taylor, Curly Putman and Rod Temperton, who wrote Michael Jackson's "Thriller," ''Rock With You" and "Off the Wall."

The 2016 Songwriters Hall of Fame Annual Induction and Awards Gala will take place June 9, 2016.

Madonna by the numbers as she tours for 'Rebel Heart'
It’s Madonna’s (material) world, and we’re all lucky to live in it! The superstar’s Rebel Heart tour kicked off in Montreal on Sept. 9, and her explosive set list, stunning dance numbers (including a pageant of bullfighters and minotaurs) and sexy costumes by the likes of Gucci, Prada and Alexander Wang all help prove why Madonna remains the Queen of Pop more than three decades after her first number-one hit. The 57-year-old mother of four performs in the U.S. and western Canada before taking her electrifying act to Europe, Asia and Australia. 

Here, we take a look back at Madonna’s earlier tours and celebrate the facts and figures behind her recordbreaking reign.

Madonna Facts
$1,200,000,000
Her tours have grossed an estimated $1.2 billion over the years, including $305 million from the 2012 MDNA tour.

The record-setting audience for her 2012 Super Bowl half-time performance. Her set, which included guest appearances from hip-hop stars Nicki Minaj and MIA, attracted more viewers than the actual football game itself.

$52,000
According to Nielsen Music Winning bid on her cone bra from the Blond Ambition tour at a Christie’s auction in 2012. The garment was designed by Jean Paul Gaultier.

Rebel Heart is Madonna’s 13th studio album

The number of copies Rebel Heart sold in its first week, according to Nielsen Music

$382
Face value of a floor seat ticket for her sold-out Toronto show

Number of times Madonna said the F-word on The Late show with David Letterman in 1994. The episode became the most censored in Amercian network television talk-show history.

Cities in the Rebel heart tour, 20 dancers, 10 costume changes per dancer on average, 8 complete costume chages for Madonna

Number of weeks that her first hits, ‘Holiday’ / ‘Lucky Star’ were No. 1 in 1983 [uS Dance Club Songs (Billboard)]

300 million
The number of albums she had sold by 2014, when Guinness World Records listed Madonna as the world’ s best-selling female recording artist of all time

$5,000,000
Amount Pepsi paid her to appear in a two-minute commercial in 1989. It aired only once – Madonna’s ‘Like a Prayer’ video came out at the same time and was so controversial that Pepsi dropped its sponsorship – but Madonna kept the money.

Number of countries she visited for her Confessions tour, which was the highest-grossing music tour per concert by a female artist in 2006.

The Michigan native dropped out of college in 1977 and moved to New York City with just $35 in her pocket.

Years since Toronto police threatened to arrest Madonna if she carried out a particular sequence in her 1990 Blond Ambition concert stop in the city. Madonna’s response? “I’m not changing my show.â€

In 2014, MDNA was her 12th album to hit No. 1 on U.K. charts, edging past Elvis Presley’s record to make Madonna the most successful solo artist ever on the U.K. album charts.

Madonna is No. 28 on Forbes magazine’s 2015 list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women. She’s the wealthiest musician on the list.

$520,000,000
Her net worth, as estimated by Forbes

Dangerous Games in Blu Ray format will be released on October 27, 2015

Posted Image
Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1080p
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Discs: Blu-ray Disc; Single disc (1 BD)

Playback
Region A (B, C untested)

Dangerous Game (1993)
From the director of Bad Lieutenant comes this absorbing look at the dark side of Hollywood. Vividly raw and shocking, Dangerous Game stars two of today's most passionate and controversial performers: Harvey Keitel and Madonna. Although he's an experienced director, nothing can prepare Eddie Israel (Keitel) for what occurs on the set of his new project. Helming a film about an abusive marriage, Eddie gets incredibly real performances from his actors. But more horrifying than the scripted violence is the fact that the brutality begins to seep off the set and into real life. As Eddie becomes more involved with his production and, specifically, his leading lady (Madonna), he too becomes entangled in this terrifying trap — one where the fantasy world of his film becomes his haunting reality.

Director: Abel Ferrara 
Writer: Nicholas St. John 
Starring: Harvey Keitel, Madonna, James Russo, Reilly Murphy, Victor Argo, Leonard L. Thomas 

Pushed back to November 17, 2015.

Pumped up! Madonna fits in a brisk bike ride with pals after racy Rebel Heart concert in Vancouver
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3276800/Madonna-fits-brisk-bike-ride-pals-racy-Rebel-Heart-concert-Vancouver.html#v-974693594277694196

Madonna may be 57-years-old but the Material Girl looks ageless as she stays more fit than most people even younger than her.

The mother-of-four was spotted in Vancouver, Canada biking around the popular waterfront Stanley Park with an entourage of her Rebel Heart tour staff.

The Grammy winner bundled up for the brisk fall weather while making the most of her time on the Vancouver stop of her world-wide tour.

Posted Image

Lucky star: Madonna was spotted biking around the popular waterfront Stanley Park in Vancouver while she made the most of her time on her Rebel Heart tour

Dressed in a warm black coat and matching bottoms the Desperately Seeking Susan star kept toasty in a dark green beanie.

She wrapped a black, white and grey scarf around her neck for added warmth while wearing gloves and black sneakers as she wheeled around town.

The Grammy Award-winner donned a pair of gold and brown aviator shades and left her blonde locks down as she made her way around the popular tourist hot spot.

Posted Image

Biker babe: Surrounded with an entourage of her concert tour staff, the Material Girl singer pedaled around town the day after her provocative performance

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3276800/Madonna-fits-brisk-bike-ride-pals-racy-Rebel-Heart-concert-Vancouver.html#ixzz3otKYl6Hl