Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

Kendrick Lamar's album broke several records (streams, downloads...), not sure about physical sales though.I still don't get why you're all obsessed with her charting #1David Bowie, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones haven't reached the top 10 since 1922 but they still are living legends with whom everyone wants to work. Isn't legacy more interesting/rewarding than chart positions?

I'm happy she was #1 in my country! I did my part! I agree though chart positions aren't everything when you have a long career. Eventually you're gonna slip a bit. I mean Cher has like almost 30 albums and I think ones like Black Rose didn't even chart.

Kendrick Lamar's album broke several records (streams, downloads...), not sure about physical sales though.I still don't get why you're all obsessed with her charting #1

I kinda have the same point of view. So what if she's not #1 ? That doesn't make her any less of a household name, especially in this day and age where the charts don't mean that much anymore. 

Rebel Heart [Deluxe] Japanese digital booklet: https://yadi.sk/i/F7K2rvdnfU7Rx
Rebel Heart [Deluxe] Japanese digital lyrics booklet: https://yadi.sk/i/CGBGB2NMfUAd5
Rebel Heart [super Deluxe] Japanese digital lyrics booklet: 
Rebel Heart [super Deluxe] digital booklet: https://yadi.sk/i/FxaHQ73BfU7Yy

Posted Image

The released album gets 6/10 from me.It should have been divided into two parts, it's way too messy and some of the tracks are just not true Madonna quality.I prefer to make my own 10/10 version of what we got. ;)

I can't even listen to some of the demos, especially Rebel Heart. It pains me she didn't realise the potential of that song.

True. Label should've respected Madonna's wishes and she shouldn't have backed down. i dont know why she lets people dictacte so much of her, sounds like insecurity to me.  :frown: and the stupid label  :oi:

Album is great anyway but as a double album and maybe 2 lead singles, would've been more exciting conceptually.  :jamming:

When all the demos first leaked and the idea of a double album was first suggested, I was all excited and 100% behind the idea of an album of two halves...CD1- Rebel (edgy, sexual, confrontational), CD2- Heart (heartfelt, confessional, traditional). But having lived with the official album for a few weeks and sitting through a mixed bag of emotions, I think they were correct to keep the album as a rollercoaster of emotions, themes and show the conflicting sides of Madonna...she is, after all, a complex mix of ping-ponging between emotions and her many sides exposed/hidden within a single heartbeat- vulnerability, strength, sadness, joy, provocative, solitary etc. Also, I think many of us would listen more to one CD more than the other...I would, if I'm honest, have played "Heart" more than "Rebel" and so Rebel would become tired very quickly...all one theme, but this way (and I always play an album in its intended sequence and never shuffle/skip) I have been exposed and begin to enjoy tracks like Unapologetic Bitch, Iconic, Holy Water, S.E.X. and Illuminati because they are surrounded by my favourite Heart tracks...which makes me begin to listen and grow to love those more Rebel tracks. So, for me, the erratic tracklisting works and makes me enjoy EVERY track instead of favoring a certain side.

+1000The critics would have crucified her. "Rebel" side would have been labelled desperate, Katy Perry/Kiezsa ripoff. And also, Iconic or VVV are upbeat but they really don't have anything rebellious (even though she sings about being a renegade and all), they're celebratory. "Heart" side would have been ballads, midtempo tracks and LFL. Very unbalanced.Also, I think that this Rebel vs. Heart concept is very immature and goes against what Madonna has been for the past 30 years. She is not one thing or another, she is both at the same time. She is not a punk rocker, someone who goes against the mainstream for the sake of it. She isn't a lovey-dovey romantic doll either, her feelings are always somewhat linked to sexuality, religion, spirituality, politics, art and so on. Her complexity and the way she embraces it is really one of her trademarks. Rebel Heart (the song) and Wash All Over Me express that very well, and that's probably why these tracks conclude the different versions of the album.

I completely agree...the critics (and some fans) would compare the two sides against each other...like a "Something To Remember" battle with "Confessions On A Dancefloor" ;) I like that its a complex mixed vibe, like the lady herself. Plus the term 'Rebel' is a difficult one to pinpoint...I consider Wash All Over Me as a determined, rebellious story...also Ghosttown could fit the bill as rebelling/fighting against all that life throws at you and still believing and moving onwards and upwards, so we probably would have had a fast side and a slow side...which doesn't necessarily suggest either Rebel or Heart. I like that within each song there is a mix of both and each story can be labelled as either/or....again, a perfect way to describe Madonna and her back catalogue. It's also fascinating to go on that little journey from the full of hurt HeartBreakCity to the joyous, playful Body Shop and followed by the confidently sexual Holy Water...even the filthy tongue-firmly-wedged-into-cheek S.E.X. going into the beautifully Gothic heart of Messiah perfectly portray the many characteristics and complexities of a female artist.