MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

12 hours ago, McDonna said:

Most fansites are just guessing anymore.  That being said, Sire no longer was listed on her albums since Ray of Light, so I am unclear how and why she no longer was represented/supported by Sire anymore?  

So (I'm just guessing on this too), the entire purpose of the "yellow CD's" was to announce M's departure from Sire? They were released by the time she went no longer supported by label.

14 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

Maverick is a branch label of Warner like Sire 

Exactly, just like Reprise, Atlantic, Phonomotor (a Brazilian label created by Marisa Monte), Parlophone and so it goes.

EDIT: @Prayer, Rhino is specificly the label in charge to represent all legacy Warner artists, they're being responsible too for the reissues of Cher, Prince etc. stuff as well.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

So (I'm just guessing on this too), the entire purpose of the "yellow CD's" was to announce M's departure from Sire? They were released by the time she went no longer supported by label.

I think that is correct? More than announcing her departure from Sire to take advantage of the fact she was still under that contract. Her original Sire contract was ending so they reissued all the original singles on the yellow CDs in 1995, also I guess the 1996 Japanese singles box set (:heart:) was also this same situation?

Cause maybe later they would have need her approval or paying her more/extra or something.

Gosh, I'd love to know the inside info on her contracts. :Madonna009: That would help us understand a lot of decisions along the years.

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Essentially, it's all under the big Warner umbrella and that's basically it. The rest is just sub-labels.

She got her first record deal with Sire Records, a previously independent label that was bought by Warner in 1978. So by the time she was signed it was already Warner. That deal was renewed but eventually in 1992 Maverick Records was added. Maverick was her own company but it was also owned and under Warner.

From 1998 ("Ray Of Light" album) Sire is out of her albums, probably the old deal ended and she signed a new one directly with Warner through Maverick Records?

Nowadays Rhino is in charge of her releases cause that's Warner label for catalogue and their own old music.

When I look at CoaDF back I see Maverick is dropped (she left it after American Life)  and instead of it is classic Warner Bros logo, so that means they let her move to "main" Warner for a couple of years to wait out the end of the contract? 

Anyway Rhino feels to me like some "open-air museum" or a place where old and  forgotten things are stored, and Madonna doesn't really fit there as she's alive and active unlike most artist under that label. But that's just me and my weird associations. :confused:

3 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

When I look at CoaDF back I see Maverick is dropped (she left it after American Life)  and instead of it is classic Warner Bros logo, so that means they let her move to "main" Warner for a couple of years to wait out the end of the contract? 

Anyway Rhino feels to me like some "open-air museum" or a place where old and  forgotten things are stored, and Madonna doesn't really fit there as she's alive and active unlike most artist under that label. But that's just me and my weird associations. :confused:

Yep, Maverick ended in 2004 after a bitter legal battle between them and Warner. One of the many issues she had with Warner during those years and that lead to her leaving after "Hard Candy" and "Celebration". More of that here:

Rhino is for old glories, yeah, but it's they way it is... her old catalogue needs to be managed by them, cause it's Warner sub label for that!

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Yep, Maverick ended in 2004 after a bitter legal battle between them and Warner. One of the many issues she had with Warner during those years and that lead to her leaving after "Hard Candy" and "Celebration". More of that here:

I though Maverick had survived after M's loss in this lawsuit, I remember to read that MoZilla (co-composer and co-producer to several Diplo-co-penned Rebel Heart tracks including BIM) was kept being signed to Maverick after Madonna left it. I know Guy-O and M took Maverick back around 2013 to relaunch it as an artist management company (he teamed, among other famous artist managers, with notorious Larry Rudolph - just another one of Britney's crosses - they even released Britney's last studio album, Glory, with the Maverick logo printed on it, instead of the former Rudolph pet label, ReignDeer, which was present for Femme Fatale and Britney Jean albums, basicly after RCA adquired Jive Records), but it always seemed to me Maverick was still a recording label after 2004.

58 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

I though Maverick had survived after M's loss in this lawsuit, I remember to read that MoZilla (co-composer and co-producer to several Diplo-co-penned Rebel Heart tracks including BIM) was kept being signed to Maverick after Madonna left it. I know Guy-O and M took Maverick back around 2013 to relaunch it as an artist management company (he teamed, among other famous artist managers, with notorious Larry Rudolph - just another one of Britney's crosses - they even released Britney's last studio album, Glory, with the Maverick logo printed on it, instead of the former Rudolph pet label, ReignDeer, which was present for Femme Fatale and Britney Jean albums, basicly after RCA adquired Jive Records), but it always seemed to me Maverick was still a recording label after 2004.

Since 2009, the Maverick label has been defunct; some of its acts were transferred over to Warner Bros. Records, directly. In 2014, the brand was revived as a management group, founded by Oseary, in-partnership with Live Nation Entertainment.

In 2014, Oseary announced that he was forming a joint venture with Live Nation Entertainment to establish a management group, amalgamating with other managers and their companies into one venture. Oseary originally was joined by Reign Deer's Larry Rudolph and Adam Leber, Blueprint Group's Gee Roberson, Cortez Bryant and Shawn Gee, Quest Management's Scott Rodger, Spalding Entertainment's Clarence Spalding, Laffitte Management's Ron Laffitte and I Am Other's Caron Veazey. All nine managers combined their companies together, rebranded them and their respective employees as "Maverick" on October 17, 2014.

In March 2015, original Maverick founder Madonna released her album Rebel Heart, featuring the Maverick logo on the back cover. This signified a new collaboration between Oseary, Madonna's manager, and Live Nation Entertainment as a management group, not a record label.

In May 2016, Wassim Slaiby, CEO of XO, joined the Maverick Management team with The Weeknd, Belly and Massari.

In November 2017, Maverick parent company Live Nation announced they had paid an undisclosed sum to acquire Big Loud and their six-artist roster.

In July 2018 Maverick announced the signing of Latin pop artist Ricky Martin under manager Lee Anne Callahan-Longo based out of the Maverick New York office.

On August 3, 2018 Aerosmith officially joined the Maverick family under Larry Rudolph who has managed Steven Tyler since 2014.

As of August 2018, Oseary and Thompson were accompanied by artist managers Adam Leber, Lee Anne Callahan-Longo, Larry Rudolph, Gee Roberson, Cortez Bryant, Shawn Gee, Scott Rodger, Wassim “Sal” Slaiby, Clarence Spalding, Kevin “Chief” Zaru and Seth England. Maverick had offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville and London.

In April 2021, the Red Hot Chili Peppers joined Guy Oseary’s roster

23 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Since 2009, the Maverick label has been defunct; some of its acts were transferred over to Warner Bros. Records, directly. In 2014, the brand was revived as a management group, founded by Oseary, in-partnership with Live Nation Entertainment.

In 2014, Oseary announced that he was forming a joint venture with Live Nation Entertainment to establish a management group, amalgamating with other managers and their companies into one venture. Oseary originally was joined by Reign Deer's Larry Rudolph and Adam Leber, Blueprint Group's Gee Roberson, Cortez Bryant and Shawn Gee, Quest Management's Scott Rodger, Spalding Entertainment's Clarence Spalding, Laffitte Management's Ron Laffitte and I Am Other's Caron Veazey. All nine managers combined their companies together, rebranded them and their respective employees as "Maverick" on October 17, 2014.

In March 2015, original Maverick founder Madonna released her album Rebel Heart, featuring the Maverick logo on the back cover. This signified a new collaboration between Oseary, Madonna's manager, and Live Nation Entertainment as a management group, not a record label.

In May 2016, Wassim Slaiby, CEO of XO, joined the Maverick Management team with The Weeknd, Belly and Massari.

In November 2017, Maverick parent company Live Nation announced they had paid an undisclosed sum to acquire Big Loud and their six-artist roster.

In July 2018 Maverick announced the signing of Latin pop artist Ricky Martin under manager Lee Anne Callahan-Longo based out of the Maverick New York office.

On August 3, 2018 Aerosmith officially joined the Maverick family under Larry Rudolph who has managed Steven Tyler since 2014.

As of August 2018, Oseary and Thompson were accompanied by artist managers Adam Leber, Lee Anne Callahan-Longo, Larry Rudolph, Gee Roberson, Cortez Bryant, Shawn Gee, Scott Rodger, Wassim “Sal” Slaiby, Clarence Spalding, Kevin “Chief” Zaru and Seth England. Maverick had offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville and London.

In April 2021, the Red Hot Chili Peppers joined Guy Oseary’s roster

Good to have all info at the table!

Guess MoZilla was signed to then until the last breath as a recording label. Strange that M didn't find her as some sort of "traitor" like some people who happened to get part in M's work after having beefed with her and had their labour proudly scrapped ("Dear Father" case comes immediately to my mind).

On 10/6/2023 at 8:11 AM, Anapausis said:

Good to have all info at the table!

Guess MoZilla was signed to then until the last breath as a recording label. Strange that M didn't find her as some sort of "traitor" like some people who happened to get part in M's work after having beefed with her and had their labour proudly scrapped ("Dear Father" case comes immediately to my mind).

What was the Dear Father case?  I know the song, but have never heard anything about it.

1 hour ago, momosfantasy said:

What was the Dear Father case?  I know the song, but have never heard anything about it.

The bassline player to Dear Father had beef with M back in the very early '80s due to him got secured the release for her own penned song Crimes of Passion (her demo version got released nonetheless through Stephen Bray's Pre-Madonna/In the Beginning), basicly some sort of thievery in M's mind. Once she knew who was behind the bassline, she scrapped Dear Father. Until then, she was adamant to include it as the fourth track of Erotica.

12 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Dear father is an interesting song - I always thought production wise it was a pettibone song but someone said it was Andre Betts ? Would love a hq rip of it as it’s a cute song 😘

It was Betts indeed. He discussed the song (including M's reason to not include it on Erotica) with Lucy O'Brien for Like an Icon biography. Of course not with all these details; I checked up later on the real thing.

1 hour ago, Anapausis said:

The bassline player to Dear Father had beef with M back in the very early '80s due to him got secured the release for her own penned song Crimes of Passion (her demo version got released nonetheless through Stephen Bray's Pre-Madonna/In the Beginning), basicly some sort of thievery in M's mind. Once she knew who was behind the bassline, she scrapped Dear Father. Until then, she was adamant to include it as the fourth track of Erotica.

It was Betts indeed. He discussed the song (including M's reason to not include it on Erotica) with Lucy O'Brien for Like an Icon biography. Of course not with all these details; I checked up later on the real thing.

Do we know why she didn’t include it ? I’m guessing it didn’t maid her smile or tap her feet ? 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Do we know why she didn’t include it ? I’m guessing it didn’t maid her smile or tap her feet ? 

Beloved, Madonna was pissed off a guy who stole a song from her had the audacity to play the bassline in a song she was working (and loving to) 12 years after the steal. Ofc she would never include it on album despite having some love for the song with even giving a special place in the tracklist order.

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

So that means it won’t be included in the erotica expanded release Madonna will never personally curate ? 🥱😜

I bet, if Madonna is going to include an "unreleased" song on Erotica that would be Goodbye to Innocence. Sadly Just Say Roe version is terrible and I wouldn't like to have it included. :Madonna002: