Blond Ambition - the Tokyo show in the rain without tour costumes?

androiduser

Is there any footage available of the BA show in Chiba/Tokyo in the pouring rain, with everyone wearing their rehearsal outfits? Do we know at which point the rain stopped, and at which point in the show M went back to the tour costumes?

Was it the very first show, or the second one?

All I can find is this news report - in the speech after Causing a Commotion they are wearing the tour costumes, but the Where's The Party is shown with rehearsal jackets. The footage most be from two different shows?

and this footage of the first show on April 13, but with regular tour costumes, so I guess the first show was not the one without the tour costumes?

However, the MTV news report mentions rain during the first show, but again, the video shows regular tour costumes?

Audio from the second show, on April 14th, and in the speech M doesn't say anything about the rain, like she did in the video from the news report?

Apr 15, 1990 was the only known show that it rained hard enough that they wore the bomber jacket all show instead of the costumes.

The HBO pre-show and Truth or Dare are the only places I know that footage exists

Madonna would have the show in archive though, but officially it isn't out there. 

33 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Apr 15, 1990 was the only known show that it rained hard enough that they wore the bomber jacket all show instead of the costumes.

The HBO pre-show and Truth or Dare are the only places I know that footage exists

Madonna would have the show in archive though, but officially it isn't out there. 

The full B-Roll should exist in the Viacom archives 

BAT without the costumes in Japan is one of the Madonna Holy Grails. Fans have been looking for it since the 90s (I have anyway). Far as I know it doesn't exist, just like that wonderful house remix of Love Spent that only exists as a 30-second snippet in a live club argghhh!!

8 hours ago, MattyMads said:

Yes it was definitely the 3rd Tokyo show on the 15th April, I've been searching for it for years , I would love to see footage of Like A Virgin

7 hours ago, BlondAmbition said:

I can't imagine to see hanky panky or holiday w the jacket...

6 hours ago, EgoRod said:

I always thought it was just for the first part of the show until Causing Commotion.

In Truth or Dare you see people swiping the water from the stage. It looks dangerous

I also think only the first few songs were performed in the jackets... although, in the TV report I posted, it looks confusing.... in the speech after Causing a Commotion they are wearing the tour costumes, but Where's The Party (performed after Causing a Commotion) is shown with rehearsal jackets. The footage most be from two different shows?

41 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I also think only the first few songs were performed in the jackets... although, in the TV report I posted, it looks confusing.... in the speech after Causing a Commotion they are wearing the tour costumes, but Where's The Party (performed after Causing a Commotion) is shown with rehearsal jackets. The footage most be from two different shows?

Yeah it might be from the first or last day, it only pour down on the second day.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

In the 80-90s nothing was kept. Most part of film for TV recordings and such were destroyed for lack of storage or reuse and erased. It's hard to find any decent documentary, TV recordings from the times.

true. Surprised by anyone saying (with full certainty) that she/ TV/film studio etc. kept all the material etc.

E.g. in many interviews throughout the years either M or Alek said clearly that the Truth or Dare mastertapes are nowhere to be found etc.  

13 hours ago, zapasowe1 said:

true. Surprised by anyone saying (with full certainty) that she/ TV/film studio etc. kept all the material etc.

E.g. in many interviews throughout the years either M or Alek said clearly that the Truth or Dare mastertapes are nowhere to be found etc.  

Jamesy from Madonna-tv confirmed with the company Nocturn who did the screens footage from WTG tour onwards, that they have all the shows in an archive. It has been mentioned multiple times and Jamesy is a very reliable source who wouldn't lie. 

So yes it does exist. All her shows since Who's That Girl tour exist in an archive. Any show that had screens for the audience has a recording of that show. 

Nocturn also did Michael Jackson's shows too

14 hours ago, EgoRod said:

In the 80-90s nothing was kept. Most part of film for TV recordings and such were destroyed for lack of storage or reuse and erased. It's hard to find any decent documentary, TV recordings from the times.

Incorrect as stated above. Everything from 1987's Who's That Girl Tour onwards was kept. 

No, wrong again, tapes were not re-used/wiped in the 80's and 90's, that happened between the 50's to the 70's. By the late 70's archives were being kept of everything.

If you can't find something it is simply because the production company doesn't care to release it. Any films or tv from the 80's and 90's that have been lost are a rareity and usually due to small production companies that went defunct or storage fires that destroyed certain catalogues due to an accident, or potentially in the case of Truth or Dare, film being lost or misplaced.   

18 hours ago, EgoRod said:

What are you talking about? All the tv networks have been releasing digital rips of obscure things from the 80s and 90s on their streaming apps and YouTube 

19 hours ago, EgoRod said:

This isn’t necessarily true. It’s like the UK kids show “The Saturday Show,” for the longest time everyone thought M’s 1984 appearance had been destroyed, but low and behold it was intact and just sitting in the archives. And now after all these years, we have it.

My experience  from TV programs and other documented material I always tried to find from when I was a kid , most part of the times I found it was lost, damaged or destroyed for lack of storage. Maybe it was stuff from the 50-70s as @me1981mentioned.

"(..) It would take years, but when Malden eventually assumed the post of Television Archive Selector in 1979, she had educated herself on the BBC’s stern and unsentimental methods for dealing with the bulk of their content. Because shows weren’t often repeated, there was no long-term need to retain them. And because videotape was an expensive storage medium at the time, it was far more sensible to reuse cassettes rather than buy new ones.The company kept a bulk-erasure machine on hand to systematically wipe out shows that were believed to have exhausted their usefulness. Reams of paperwork indicated a large chunk of their content was rubber-stamped into destruction using just three words: “no further interest.”

Also in wiki:

There is lost material in all genres — as late as the early 1990s, a large number of videotaped children's programmes from the 1970s and 1980s were irretrievably wiped by the BBC archives on the assumption that they were of "low priority", without consulting the BBC children's department itself

I remember reading similar stuff about Spanish TV were I was raised. Most part of programs were lost or damaged because of bad storage.

I guess from the 90s with digital recording this wasn't much of an issue.

But hey, maybe the US were better at this.