Celebrate "Madonna" The Debut Album's 40th Anniversary: Performances, Demos, Photos, Interviews, Remixes, and More!

Donna

9 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

does anyone have the first album (1985 reissue) cover art in HQ with the blue font? I find the yellow font boring imo

I'm not sure I've ever seen this particular edition?  Hopefully someone will come and long and help you out.  :)

On 7/2/2023 at 12:42 AM, tscott said:

Burning Up was released March 9th, 1983.  The B-side included a song called 'Physical Attraction' which in many regions considered a "double a-sided" album.  The music video for "Burning Up" was directed by Steve Barron, who had previously worked on Toto's "Africa" (1982), Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", and Eddy Grant's "Electric Avenue" (1983). The director was on vacation when he got a call from Sire Records producer Simon Fields, asking him to direct the video. Barron initially refused, as the song "didn't have the atmosphere" he was looking for. However, Madonna, who was "really keen on the 'Billie Jean' video", insisted until Barron begrudgingly agreed. He went to meet the singer and was impressed with her confidence.

Still one of my favorite singles!  The 12" mix of Burning Up is incredible, Physical Attraction is untouchably amazing, the cover art is cool AF, this is one of the best!  (I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned 12" vinyl single.  I was always just so fascinated with the artwork, and it was so cool to discover a record with multiple versions of the songs that I love!)

3 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

Still one of my favorite singles!  The 12" mix of Burning Up is incredible, Physical Attraction is untouchably amazing, the cover art is cool AF, this is one of the best!  (I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned 12" vinyl single.  I was always just so fascinated with the artwork, and it was so cool to discover a record with multiple versions of the songs that I love!)

Yes, I'm more in love with the 12 inch version and the First album version. But the song on all editions are still great. It's my favorite song on the whole album.

4 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

I agree. This one deserves a vinyl reissue like Everybody. For the cover art alone!

40 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I agree. This one deserves a vinyl reissue like Everybody. For the cover art alone!

Agreed.  I was hoping they would keep with the momentum of after re-issuing Everybody on Vinyl by releasing follow up singles.  Burning Up, Holiday, Lucky Star, Borderline.

Who knows, maybe at some point they all will be phsically released in some Vinyl box set, but I'm sure this is wishful thinking. 

I'd love an American Life mix show Vinyl EP" for the Debut with a shot from the scrapped artwork session and all the 7" versions.

A real collectors item.

Side A

Everybody 7" Version

Burning Up 7" version

Holiday 7" Version

Side A

Lucky Star 7" Version

Borderline 7" Version

Ain't No Big Deal

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 16.15.21.png

9 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I also never quite realised quite how much Borderline musically  lifted from this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cia_v4vxfE

OMG. True. Guess Reggie Lucas was a fan.

But of course the original "Borderline" and the reason he was hired for the job by Warner was this #1 US hit three years before, produced by him:

Amazing song and hilarious video, BTW.

Wow @steady75and @Prayer, I've heard those songs so many times in the past, I never thought how they do have similarities.  Though, I do remember someone bringing up the Stephanie Mills song and comparing it. 

Thanks to all who contributing to the thread and sharing things people may have not seen, heard or read before.  Let's keep it going!  Madonna, the first album is about to turn 40.  It's time to party!! :party:

A thought crossed my mind while listening to some of the Lucas demos that @tscott has posted here. Diana Ross released a deluxe anniversary edition of her diana album a few years back and it included the original Chic mixes that she’d disliked and had Motown adjust prior to release. It would be cool if M did that with the original Lucas mixes or demos.  

Granted we all know she’s picky about only allowing things to be heard the way she wants them heard, and we still don’t know what, if anything, we’re getting. But a boy can dream…

13 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

A thought crossed my mind while listening to some of the Lucas demos that @tscott has posted here. Diana Ross released a deluxe anniversary edition of her diana album a few years back and it included the original Chic mixes that she’d disliked and had Motown adjust prior to release. It would be cool if M did that with the original Lucas mixes or demos.  

Granted we all know she’s picky about only allowing things to be heard the way she wants them heard, and we still don’t know what, if anything, we’re getting. But a boy can dream…

While I believe Madonna is far more involved in what is released under her name, I think not other artists have the same luxury.  I don't know the backstory to Dina Ross's not wanting the Original Chic mixes and how they ended up being on the Deluxe Anniversary, but it's possible that Diana had no say what was put on the Anniversary release. I do think the record companies have far more power than the artists. I'm sure Madonna doesn't have complete say over everything that is released of hers.  After all, we know she's had issues in the past with how Warner handled things and wanted certain things to be released over others.  Even Interscope seem to have more say in if Rebel Heart could be a double album or not. 

This is why I think Madonna may not have total say in what is being re-issued or what is included.  I also don't think she's totally in control of the expanded deluxe sets that are coming.  But I suspect she still is being asked for her input if not what to further include on them.

In 1997, Stephen Bray released a cluster of songs/demos, he and Madonna did before she got a record contracts.  Madonna did not approve the release, nor has she ever spoke of it.  Among it, were a few songs that made it to her Debut Album.  "Ain't No Big Deal" was definitely consdered to be Madonna's first single, but it never happened and never appeared on her Debut album.  However, Stephen Bray did a remix of the Demo and here it is:

• Jackie pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic