Celebrate "Madonna" The Debut Album's 40th Anniversary: Performances, Demos, Photos, Interviews, Remixes, and More!

Donna

On August 8 1984, Madonna’s Lucky Star was released.  Lucky Star became Madonna’s first U.S. top five hit (No. 4), and the first in a string of 17 consecutive U.S. top fives. The video was directed by Arthur Pierson, a stark performance piece bringing together her brother Christopher Ciccone and Erica Bell as backup dancers. The clip was filled with black rubber jelly bracelets, lace and a certain gyrating belly button.

Lucky Star was written by Madonna and produced by Reggie Lucas and Jellybean Benitez.

madonna_lucky_star_aug_8-e1407456675202.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:19 PM, McDonna said:

On August 8 1984, Madonna’s Lucky Star was released.  Lucky Star became Madonna’s first U.S. top five hit (No. 4), and the first in a string of 17 consecutive U.S. top fives. The video was directed by Arthur Pierson, a stark performance piece bringing together her brother Christopher Ciccone and Erica Bell as backup dancers. The clip was filled with black rubber jelly bracelets, lace and a certain gyrating belly button.

Lucky Star was written by Madonna and produced by Reggie Lucas and Jellybean Benitez.

madonna_lucky_star_aug_8-e1407456675202.

This reminds me that I hate all the "Lucky Star" single covers - but I love the picture used. :smile:

I didn't know where to post this, so I'll do it here. I-D Magazine (UK) has done a retrospective with their most iconic covers and little stories about each one and Madonna is included:

https://i-d.vice.com/en/article/59b5mq/the-stories-behind-i-ds-most-iconic-covers

untitled-article-1433774688-body-image-1

The SeXsense Issue, No. 15, May 1984

"I'd seen Madonna perform in a Paris nightclub to about 100/200 people and knew I loved her energy. When she arrived at the studio for the Mark Lebon portrait, she was wearing a black plain T-shirt. We decided if she could wink, we might put her on the cover. Terry was worried about her plain black tee, so I whipped off my brand new BOY white mohair jumper and stood around in my bra while she modeled it for the picture. My sister was modeling on the same shoot and she and Madonna chatted happily about New York. It was one of those no standing on ceremony shoots that were so typical of the day." Caryn Franklin, former i-D Co-Editor

5 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

Hey can I ask if you can copy and past the article here in this thread.  It's requiring a subscription to read it.  Please and thank you? :luv:

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best comments ever (to me) about the 'Madonna' of LAV/DSS era; 

There was something about Madonna that made you feel like you were part of her coolness. She was in love with herself and it was somehow contagious - not only did you fall in love with her, you actually felt better about yourself because she'd shown you the way. Hard to explain what a positive, inspirational figure she was during those first couple of albums, the punk rock, tangled hair, lace-and-crucifixes, "boy toy" phase, before she was an established star, when the rush of all that attention was new and she seemed like a kid having fun. And she was beautiful - "striking" is a better word. Those huge blue eyes...'

Johan Ericsson

Εμφάνιση λιγότερων

'Last year, something happened to me in my life. Something that I never asked or wanted to have. I almost died. Afterwards, when I was trying to get my spirit back. I bought a small Bose speaker and started to music I felt drawn to listen to Holiday - a timeless classic. Madonna just made me want to live. She just has it! You know that special something that is hard to describe. I listened to Holiday and onto the groove. And borderline and many others, I sincerely have to say Thank you Madonna. You made me dance and start my road to recovery. Now, I strong, happy and still listening to Madonna. Thank you for the great music and joy that you have brought into my and many other’s lives.'   John Moseley (11 days ago..)

Εμφάνιση λιγότερων

1 hour ago, into the erotico said:

'Last year, something happened to me in my life. Something that I never asked or wanted to have. I almost died. Afterwards, when I was trying to get my spirit back. I bought a small Bose speaker and started to music I felt drawn to listen to Holiday - a timeless classic. Madonna just made me want to live. She just has it! You know that special something that is hard to describe. I listened to Holiday and onto the groove. And borderline and many others, I sincerely have to say Thank you Madonna. You made me dance and start my road to recovery. Now, I strong, happy and still listening to Madonna. Thank you for the great music and joy that you have brought into my and many other’s lives.'   John Moseley (11 days ago..)

Εμφάνιση λιγότερων

I can understand perfectly what he says... I year and a half ago my doctor said I had cancer. I wasn't afraid but I felt really tired. I've been months in bed, too tired to get up, the chemotherapy wasn't that bad for me, but it made me feel even more tired... And I remember that when I was at home my sister, before she went to work she always turned on my computer and played Madonna on Spotify. She (Madonna) was my company when nobody could be at home with me.

Of course physically she didn't help me, but thanks to her music I felt fine mentally (something important in this cases). It was good to "have her with me". It's something stranges that I don't know how to explain but for me, it worked. Now my doctor says that everything is ok... The last time I talk to him he called me "Mr. Miracle" and he said me that he never thought that I could be so fine now, that he couldn't explain it... I told him "Well, my body reacted in the best way to all the medical treatmen" (but I thought... and I had the best help with Madonna's music in my mind).

Now we have the 40th anniversary, the "Celebration" tour and, although I can go to see her, I'm really happy for her and all the fans that are going to her shows and, most of all very grateful for being here to live the first 40 years... and I'm sure will be lots of years more full of surprises for all of us. Don't give up hope and be patient :)

PS: And thank you for all the dramas on the forum about the anniversaries, digital releases and all those things. It was funny to read them when I really wanted :)

• RUADJAI unpinned this topic