What are your TOP 20 favourite MADONNA songs?

Holger

12 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

We have to remember the commericial appeal of Nicki and M.I.A on one of your tracks including a Superbowl Performance

Clearly she released it as a single possibly to the leak or the fact that those artists were in the music 

I understand the Super Bowl performance, but actually that song did absolutely nothing for that performance. 

Super Bowl would be fierce even without that song (no one was  mentioning it after Super Bowl anyway and rather talking about Music and/or Like A Prayer performances), + Nicki or M.I.A had absolutely no effect for charting of that song. It was just a flop. 

There are other artists performing at Super Bowl and they are not releasing songs so directly aiming on Super Bowl performance. This was just a completely unnecessary move, if you ask me. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No particular order...songs  (from LP version only) that never disappoint me any time any mood

Physical Attraction

He's A Man

Something To Remember

This Used To Be My Playground

I Want You (Orchestral)

Intervention

Paradise (Not For Me)

Drowned World/Substitute For Love

Inside Of Me

Where Life Begins

Like A Prayer

Promise To Try

Borderline

Papa Don't Preach

Live To Tell

True Blue

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Into The Groove

Think Of Me

Stay

Bonus track

Dear Jessie or More or Keep It Together or Dress You Up

& many more:heart:

The songs I listen to on regular rotation and in no order 

rescue me

youll see

drowned world 

has to be

who’s that girl

open your heart

la Isla Bonita 

keep it together ( single remix)

falling free

ciao Bella 

papa don’t preach ( extended version)

bedtime story

shame

words

rain

vogue

spotlight

live to tell

the look of love 

supernatural

In no particular order:

Get Together

Deeper & Deeper

Bedtime Story

I Want You

Erotica

Fever (video version)

Living For Love

I Don't Search I Find

I Deserve It

Don't Tell Me

Frozen

Miles Away

Into The Groove

Sky Fits Heaven

Like a Prayer

Open Your Heart

Vogue

Justify My Love

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

This was hard! 

1. Borderline

2. Angel

3. Open Your Heart

4. Live to Tell

5. Who's That Girl

6. Like a Prayer

7. Keep It Together 

8. Deeper and Deeper

9. Secret

10. Ray of Light

11. Frozen

12. Don't Tell Me

13. Love Profusion

14. Easy Ride

15. Sorry

16. Give It to Me

17. Love Spent [Acoustic Version]

18. Devil Pray

19. Medellín 

20. I Don't Search I Find

23 hours ago, maddy1111 said:

I think a whole response regarding MDNA would be slightly different if they would have chosen different singles. 

Start of a new era with Gang Bang and video directed by Quentin Tarantino? Everyone would lose their mind!

Instead, we got her absolutely worst single GMAYL :Madonna040:

I 100% agree, Give Me All Your Luvin' was an abysmal choice of a single. It was clearly a management choice to try to get as much promo out of featuring Nicki and M.I.A. as possible. I hate collaborations that just feel like a business deal. I think Girl Gone Wild was a good single choice, very commercial, catchy and very Madge. Gang Bang would've been my second single choice and I would've followed it up with I'm Addicted. I mean the whole album was a triple entendre involving drugs, why not capitalize on its schtick with a song that's reminiscent of it? I mean she literally says MDNA in the song. Turn Up the Radio was also very odd choice to me as far as singles go. I don't find the song bad but I didn't see that as a stand out either. My personal choices would've been:

1. Girl Gone Wild

2. Gang Bang

3. I'm Addicted

4. I'm a Sinner

2 minutes ago, hzmajesty said:

I 100% agree, Give Me All Your Luvin' was an abysmal choice of a single. It was clearly a management choice to try to get as much promo out of featuring Nicki and M.I.A. as possible. I hate collaborations that just feel like a business deal. I think Girl Gone Wild was a good single choice, very commercial, catchy and very Madge. Gang Bang would've been my second single choice and I would've followed it up with I'm Addicted. I mean the whole album was a triple entendre involving drugs, why not capitalize on its schtick with a song that's reminiscent of it? I mean she literally says MDNA in the song. Turn Up the Radio was also very odd choice to me as far as singles go. I don't find the song bad but I didn't see that as a stand out either. My personal choices would've been:

1. Girl Gone Wild

2. Gang Bang

3. I'm Addicted

4. I'm a Sinner

I would order it slightly differently, but otherwise I completely agree what you wrote :)

1. Gang Bang (what a killer first single and something noone would expect from Madonna at that time) 

2. Girl Gone Wild (as you said very Madge, catchy) 

3. I'm Addicted (also agree, why not capitalize on the theme of "drug" that album is clearly about, she was talking about MDNA vs MDMA basically in every interview) 

4. Turn Up a Radio (I don't mind it being a single promoting a tour at that time) 

5. I'm a Sinner (I know the fifth single is highly unlikely but I would be fine here with video only including footage from the tour, similar to Miles Away) 

5 hours ago, hzmajesty said:

I 100% agree, Give Me All Your Luvin' was an abysmal choice of a single. It was clearly a management choice to try to get as much promo out of featuring Nicki and M.I.A. as possible

Nah, it was written specifically for the Superbowl appearance. I personally enjoy the song, and it really is catchy and radio friendly. Unfortunately, the success of this song only rides on Superbowl and the deal made to play the song excessively on radio the week leading up to the Superbowl.  Outside of this, many fans weren't impressed or interested.  However, it did managed a fun big production video. I enjoy the song for what it is.  I don't hate it, but it's hardly my favorite Madonna song.

21 hours ago, maddy1111 said:

I would order it slightly differently, but otherwise I completely agree what you wrote :)

1. Gang Bang (what a killer first single and something noone would expect from Madonna at that time) 

2. Girl Gone Wild (as you said very Madge, catchy) 

3. I'm Addicted (also agree, why not capitalize on the theme of "drug" that album is clearly about, she was talking about MDNA vs MDMA basically in every interview) 

4. Turn Up a Radio (I don't mind it being a single promoting a tour at that time) 

5. I'm a Sinner (I know the fifth single is highly unlikely but I would be fine here with video only including footage from the tour, similar to Miles Away) 

I think Girl Gone Wild would've been a good first single because commercially it would be something the fans would come to love for it's catchy tune and cunty choreography as well as the religious undertones with the act of contrition. The music video really set the tone for a lot of the MDNA tour and style that was to come. Gang Bang is a great display of what ignited the album because it's definitely a revenge fantasy and all the emotions that come with it. Coming off her divorce, it seems fitting where her head was at in the studio. The reason I like I'm a Sinner is that it showcases two sides of Madge. The first being a hippie, peace and love image and the other being the religious side. I think a lot of people slept on it because of how much they seem to detest this era. 

16 hours ago, McDonna said:

Nah, it was written specifically for the Superbowl appearance. I personally enjoy the song, and it really is catchy and radio friendly. Unfortunately, the success of this song only rides on Superbowl and the deal made to play the song excessively on radio the week leading up to the Superbowl.  Outside of this, many fans weren't impressed or interested.  However, it did managed a fun big production video. I enjoy the song for what it is.  I don't hate it, but it's hardly my favorite Madonna song.

Fair enough, I don't hate the song, I just think as far as singles choices are concerned, it was abysmal choice. It just felt hokey and manufactured to my ear. But hey, that's life. Some people will love it, some will hate it. I respect your opinion though :-)

On 8/21/2023 at 12:15 PM, maddy1111 said:

I understand the Super Bowl performance, but actually that song did absolutely nothing for that performance. 

Super Bowl would be fierce even without that song (no one was  mentioning it after Super Bowl anyway and rather talking about Music and/or Like A Prayer performances), + Nicki or M.I.A had absolutely no effect for charting of that song. It was just a flop. 

There are other artists performing at Super Bowl and they are not releasing songs so directly aiming on Super Bowl performance. This was just a completely unnecessary move, if you ask me. 

Can you imagine if the song was swapped with Girl Gone Wild? With Kazaky dancing behind her in the glitter heels? The gays would've ate it up and the opposition would've been outraged. It would been so on brand for her, haha!

50 minutes ago, hzmajesty said:

Fair enough, I don't hate the song, I just think as far as singles choices are concerned, it was abysmal choice. It just felt hokey and manufactured to my ear. But hey, that's life. Some people will love it, some will hate it. I respect your opinion though :-)

I guess I don't see it the same way, but at the same time I can understand being the song seemed to be tailored made to the Superbowl.  But yeah, I totally respect what you are saying here.

47 minutes ago, hzmajesty said:

Can you imagine if the song was swapped with Girl Gone Wild? With Kazaky dancing behind her in the glitter heels? The gays would've ate it up and the opposition would've been outraged. It would been so on brand for her, haha!

I don't think Girl Gone Wild would have been fitting for the Superbowl though.  GMAYL had that chant/cheerleading vibe to it.  Also, she wasn't aiming to upset the football league.  She knew not to go pissing off that audience.  And there is no need to, being it was a great opportunity to reach an audience that ordinarily doesn't listen to her. If anything, she knew her place and stuck to the assignment. If she set out to purposely upset that crowd, there would be no doubt her career would be over in the U.S.  While I don't feel like MDNA benefited from her appearance, her appearance did manage to gain some love from the general public for a little while and show what a great showman she can be.  It was great publicity for her up and coming tour as well.  

So hard to choose only 20 songs, but I'll try to...

Frozen

Like a Prayer 

Nothing Really Matters 

Swim

Skin

Secret

Sky fits Heaven 

Sanctuary

Rain

Ray of Light 

Pray for Spanish Eyes

The Power of Goodbye

Erotica

I deserve it

Intervention

Isaac

Miles Away

Rebel Heart 

La Isla Bonita

My Madonna Top 20 (1983 - 2023)

• Holiday

• Borderline

• Papa Don't Preach

• La Isla Bonita

• Like A Prayer

• Express Yourself

• Vogie

• Justify My Love

• Erotica

• Bedtime Story

• Nothing Really Matters

• Frozen

• Music

• What It Feels Like For A Girl (Video Version)

• Paradise (Not For Me)

• American Life

• Hung Up

• Get Together

• Candy Shop

• HeartBreakCity