Pick a lead and singles for a digital album era like American Life also physical if you like

If you had the chance to change the single campaign for albums like American Life on itunes and databases which single would you pick first and which remixers would you hire for the job of redoing the production?

I would have picked Hollywood and then Nothing Fails and then hired some nu disco or Dua Lipa Houdini type producers for the love Profusion remixes but then release the full softer club EP we finally got and then American Life then Nobody Knows Me and final Intervention 

I would then release a boxset like the allegedly planned American Life remixes boxset and put all the digital ones in there plus more

This can also apply to physical campaigns if liked

• Would You Like To Try changed the title to Pick a lead and singles for a digital album era like American Life also physical if you like
2 hours ago, androiduser said:

Nothing Fails for the lead... Could have been one of the biggest hits of her career. The biggest missed opportunity ever.

i always preferred Love Profusion out of the album

Rebel Heart

• Living for Love
  • Ghosttown
  • Iconic (this should have gotten the BIM music video)
  • Illuminati (it needs a cheeky satire video)
  • Devil Pray (part 2 to the Illuminati video)

Rebel Heart (song) should have kicked off the album of the same name.  I like Living For Love but there were so many other great songs on that album I preferred over LFL. 

I get why American Life the song kicked off the album, but I think the album would have fared better if Nothing Fails kicked it off.  I think with the success of Die Another Day and then releasing Nothing Fails, people may have gone into the album with a different impression. 

The more I think about it, Madonna should have released Masterpiece globally when W.E. came out.  Then, allowed GMAYL to be that special football song for the Superbowl, but immediately also released GIrl Gone Wild at the same time.  GGW did get a quick follow up release, but I think it's song and video should have been ready for release on the same weekend as the Superbowl happened. I'm not sure if radio would have picked up that song either, but GGW is more true to what people expect from Madonna. 

39 minutes ago, McDonna said:

The more I think about it, Madonna should have released Masterpiece globally when W.E. came out.  Then, allowed GMAYL to be that special football song for the Superbowl, but immediately also released GIrl Gone Wild at the same time.  GGW did get a quick follow up release, but I think it's song and video should have been ready for release on the same weekend as the Superbowl happened. I'm not sure if radio would have picked up that song either, but GGW is more true to what people expect from Madonna. 

i personally would have preferred that MDNA as a whole to never happen. just a small two-track single

1. Girl Gone Wild
  2. Gang Bang

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

i personally would have preferred that MDNA as a whole to never happen. just a small two-track single

1. Girl Gone Wild
  2. Gang Bang

Nope. That album is actually pretty good IMO.  I'm not bothered by the singles.  They definitely were more friendly for the public, so I understand the choices and quite enjoy them for what they are.  But there are a number of songs on MDNA that I really like as well.  Falling Free, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Gang Bang,  I Don't Give A and Beautiful Killer are all fantastic. 

2 hours ago, McDonna said:

Rebel Heart (song) should have kicked off the album of the same name.  I like Living For Love but there were so many other great songs on that album I preferred over LFL. 

I get why American Life the song kicked off the album, but I think the album would have fared better if Nothing Fails kicked it off.  I think with the success of Die Another Day and then releasing Nothing Fails, people may have gone into the album with a different impression. 

Rebel heart is true the demo should have been the single remix and a video of her dressed in different eras

But I guess she was shocked after American Life and the narcissist American crowd or American crow should I say hating on the album and it's first single

The problem with American Life haters are that they didn't hate on the album they hated on the motives behind it because those damaged brains think war is actually good to the country and this is based on many experiences told by citizens and people who collaborated with the government or went to war

2 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Rebel heart is true the demo should have been the single remix and a video of her dressed in different eras

But I guess she was shocked after American Life and the narcissist American crowd or American crow should I say hating on the album and it's first single

There were various demos, anyway any version would have worked for me as the single. 

6 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

For me the Avicii version would have worked a lot and the more laid back on the album or as the b-side mix on the digital and physical single

LOL... they all were Avicii versions.  None of the versions did not exclude him from the song or production.  Madonna and Avicii started the song together and she just chose a slightly more acoustic version of the song they did together.  Any version would have been great as a single!  But of course, I am well aware of what version you are speaking of... the one with a bit more production and punch to it.  I like that version just as much as the album version.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

1. Girl Gone Wild
  2. Gang Bang

Sorry to tell you otherwise, but MDNA was VERY NECESSARY in the context of the catfight she was doing to Stefani. Ofc it turned out to be a boiling mess, as it was VERY EXPECTED TO, but you. Just. Don't fuck with the Queen!!!

10 hours ago, McDonna said:

Nope. That album is actually pretty good IMO.  I'm not bothered by the singles.  They definitely were more friendly for the public, so I understand the choices and quite enjoy them for what they are.  But there are a number of songs on MDNA that I really like as well.  Falling Free, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Gang Bang,  I Don't Give A and Beautiful Killer are all fantastic. 

I'd add I'm Addicted and even I'm a Sinner to your list. Even GMAYL is somehow fantastic despite @MPowered's claims.

8 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

The problem with American Life haters are that they didn't hate on the album they hated on the motives behind it because those damaged brains think war is actually good to the country and this is based on many experiences told by citizens and people who collaborated with the government or went to war

This. AL both song and album are ones of a kind. If it were just for these verses from X-Static Process:

Jesus Christ will you look at me?

Don't really know what I'm supposed to be

Don't really know if I should give a damn

I don't know who I am

I always wished that I could find

Someone as beautiful as you

But in the process I forgot I was special too

This album really would deserve such a dedicated place in the sun, no matter what the crowd would've said.

OT: I would only get ahead with putting Forbidden Love'94 and Skin as final singles to their parent albums, both are so fvcking good to sit down forever on the limbo. Well also wished M were able to give Impressive Instant the treatment she wanted to do. This falls in the same cathegory of the 2 aforementioned.

11 hours ago, Chris said:

1. Girl Gone Wild
  2. Gang Bang

I 100% agree with this.

She should have announced the Celebration tour right after the Superbowl, celebrating 30 years in music. Imagine a show as fantastic as the Celebration Tour, but at a time when Madonna is still able to dance her ass off.

Girl gone wild would have been a nice single to release at the same time as the Superbowl too. 

3 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I 100% agree with this.

She should have announced the Celebration tour right after the Superbowl, celebrating 30 years in music. Imagine a show as fantastic as the Celebration Tour, but at a time when Madonna is still able to dance her ass off.

Girl gone wild would have been a nice single to release at the same time as the Superbowl too. 

Ok Take a Bow/You'll See hater, why I would never be surprised to you???

On 11/30/2023 at 9:47 PM, androiduser said:

Nothing Fails for the lead... Could have been one of the biggest hits of her career. The biggest missed opportunity ever.

I know this must be a joke 😂😂

Anyway, the first era I would change would be Like A Prayer:

1. Like A Prayer
2. Express Yourself
3. Spanish Eyes
4. Till Death Do Us Part / Oh Father
5. Keep It Together

Cherish is cute but it really didn’t need to be a single imo. Madonna herself never seemed to be particularly fond of it. I like how they split Oh Father and Dear Jessie up for different territories but the latter really shouldn’t have been a single over Till Death Do Us Part. Spanish Eyes was a smash waiting to happen!

Erotica was always gonna be a mess but I definitely would have picked Words as a single over Bye Bye Baby and also include it on the tour!

Forbidden Love could have been released as a transitional single from Bedtime Stories and Something To Remember, especially when it became clear that I Want You wasn't gonna happen.

Ray Of Light needed a much better single release schedule. Many of the singles weren’t physically released after they peaked on radio resulting in poor charting positions. Also, I believe that Nothing Really Matters should have been released earlier!

1. Frozen  
2. Ray Of Light   
3. Nothing Really Matters   
4. The Power Of Good-Bye
5. Drowned World/Substitute For Love / Sky Fits Heaven   
6. Skin

Music needed more singles. Yes, I know she hated Amazing but the song would have clicked with the GP. They could have released both, Amazing and Impressive Instant. WIFLFAG was kinda pointless with its banned video and the stupid ass remix being used.

1. Music   
2. Don't Tell Me   
3. Amazing
4. What It Feels Like For A Girl 
5. Impressive Instant (released as a single from Music AND GHV2 with the Megamix as b-side)

Some of you people say Nothing Fails would have been a better lead single, but I disagree. American Life was never gonna be a huge success. However, the video for the lead single shouldn’t have been pulled. She could have done exactly what she did in 1990 and release it as a DVD single or with the album, to generate sales in case it was banned. The song is important. They could have possibly thought of releasing Love Profusion with an anti-war video instead or to rush-release it in the US for damage control purposes.

0. Die Another Day   
1. American Life
2. Love Profusion
3. Hollywood
4. Intervention
5. Nobody Knows Me (Stuart Price Remix)

Hard Candy was also a bit of a missed opportunity. The GP was rather fond of that album but the singles could have been chosen more wisely. I personally believe that the candy theme and even the candy in the title should have been removed when it was clear that Candy Shop was not gonna be released as a single. I prefer "Jawbreaker" as a title, along with the original boxing concept.

1. 4 Minutes (with a better video)
2. Beat Goes On  
3. Miles Away
4. Give It 2 Me (with a boxing themed video)   
5. Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You OR She's Not Me OR Heartbeat

MDNA was beyond terrible in every aspect. GMAYL single-handedly destroyed any willingness radio stations had to play her music. That song never should have seen the light of day.

0. Masterpiece
1. Girl Gone Wild   
2. I'm Addicted   
3. Beautiful Killer / Gang Bang (dual video and single)
4. Love Spent (Radio Mix, closer to the acoustic version)

On 12/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, androiduser said:

I respect your opinion and it is a good song.

But I have to completely disagree. I don't think it would've helped at all.

I like the American Life single run as is. But I think Nobody Knows Me could've been a great as a fully fledged single maybe instead of the title track and American Life used as a dance promo track. Hollywood is perfect and would've been a great lead.

Die Another Day, Hollywood, Nobody Knows Me and Love Profusion then American Life (dance single promo on tour)

• 2 months later...

For American Life I would have done: 

1. Hollywood (April 2003)

2. Intervention (July 2003)

3. Love Profusion  (October 2003)

4. Nobody Knows Me (remix)(February 2004)

Why It Works: 

Hollywood would kick off this era as folksy, kinda punk, and edgy. The video should be the anti-war video from the original AL. The 2nd single, Intervention,  would add vulnerability and another anti-war video about the reality of death and destruction that war causes. She plays "La Muerte" in it. Dark video for a lovely song.  It's a lovely ballad that many would enjoy and she would be viewed as more mature and aware of the situation.  LP as the 3rd single, half ballad, half upbeat, a crowd pleaser. Remixes can help for the club. The mv could be the same or different. Perfect for the holidays. The 4th and final single she comes back with a BANGER with NKM. This hypes up the tour and brings back the dance pop fans. The Stuart price remix from the tour becomes the single. The era ends with the documentary "Nobody Knows Me: A Life Recap" which is basically IGTTYAS. 

Hard Candy

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away 

Best Goes On

Devil Would't Recognise You

MDNA

I'm Addicted

Beautiful Killer 

Love Spent 

Rebel Heart

Rebel Heart (Demo from Avicci)