Re-Invention Tour turns 20 - what can we expect?

On 3/15/2024 at 12:26 PM, Blue Jean said:

Hang on. Where did we hear they only filmed select songs with Truth or Dare? I thought Madonna and Alek said the tapes were lost?

I also find it hard to believe they would know which songs they were using for both films before they were even edited. It doesn’t make sense.

Absolutely, it was confirmed by them it was all recorded (we got extra songs on the vhs and L.Disc). The tapes are lost thing is the strange part. If they were in one of the storage units her assistant sold her stuff somebody will have the 'lost tapes' somewhere.  She probably has them back now hopefully. 

She lost the mermaid outfit in one video she was frustrated by it, she seems like a decent 'collector' of her past. 

The D&N interviews all have been a little interesting even if they forget things it was a long time ago but it sounded like theres lots of footage to make a tod 2 or extended cut one of them said there was more racy stuff and personal stuff taped. Nikki gets more muddled up than Donna. 

9 hours ago, scallywally said:

Absolutely, it was confirmed by them it was all recorded (we got extra songs on the vhs and L.Disc). The tapes are lost thing is the strange part. If they were in one of the storage units her assistant sold her stuff somebody will have the 'lost tapes' somewhere.  She probably has them back now hopefully. 

She lost the mermaid outfit in one video she was frustrated by it, she seems like a decent 'collector' of her past. 

The D&N interviews all have been a little interesting even if they forget things it was a long time ago but it sounded like theres lots of footage to make a tod 2 or extended cut one of them said there was more racy stuff and personal stuff taped. Nikki gets more muddled up than Donna. 

What Niki wouldn’t understand is that the “personal” stuff they filmed of her blabbing on about herself would not make a very interesting film

On 3/15/2024 at 6:19 PM, Lucas B. said:

I really hope it doesn’t get to be like this, but sometimes I catch myself wondering that probably we’ll only see this after she’s gone. Warner probably will try to catch every penny of the fans and will release everything they can, which is a shame as she’s still alive and should herself release all unseen material and new editions of the albums with unreleased tracks, b-sides etc.

As I said before, I hope they manage to release BAT for the 40th anniversary in 2030

Would love to spend a day in her archive. 

23 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

How did this happen? Virgin Tour tapes were inside WTC? For what?

That was always just a rumor...lol who knows? Never heard of it being Blond Ambition. On a podcast I believe it was Donna who said she heard that the ToD footage got lost in some studio fire, Nikki looked at her like she was crazy lol but of course according to Madonna...Blond Ambition was never filmed

head hype GIF

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

That was always just a rumor...lol who knows? Never heard of it being Blond Ambition. On a podcast I believe it was Donna who said she heard that the ToD footage got lost in some studio fire, Nikki looked at her like she was crazy lol but of course according to Madonna...Blond Ambition was never filmed

I wish I could remember more detail but I recall seeing an interview blurb on some fan site w/someone involved in the Virgin Tour video production who confirmed that the leftover footage was chucked after the final edit was completed, per Warner.

At that point they still didn’t believe she’d be popular more than another year or so (and certainly not that people would still be pining for it 40 years later), and she hadn’t started archiving yet herself, so it was tossed.

I don’t think the interviewee gave a formal confirmation why the left out songs were cut though.

1 hour ago, MikeyK said:

I wish I could remember more detail but I recall seeing an interview blurb on some fan site w/someone involved in the Virgin Tour video production who confirmed that the leftover footage was chucked after the final edit was completed, per Warner.

At that point they still didn’t believe she’d be popular more than another year or so (and certainly not that people would still be pining for it 40 years later), and she hadn’t started archiving yet herself, so it was tossed.

I don’t think the interviewee gave a formal confirmation why the left out songs were cut though.

Idk...I'm really into lost media and its crazy how certain things are flat out lies and sadly how some things are in fact tossed out. 

Allegedly the performances of "Angel", "Borderline" and "Burning Up" were removed from the track list of the virgin tour video, as the director Daniel Kleinman believed that Madonna's performance was not her best in them. 

that can be found in this book by Ian Inglis (2006). Performance and Popular Music: History, Place and Time. Ashgate Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7546-4057-8.

7 hours ago, scallywally said:

Pretty sure! ask @GregVsMatt Hes got a better brain, Ive got mine in a box somewhere but god knows where and not got a player anymore. 

They were definitely not released on laserdisc as it would have meant pressing a second disc just for 12 minutes of footage - laserdisc can only hold 2 hours of time on 2 sides - I was a big laserdisc collector and still have all her music tour titles plus Prince wonderful lovesexy tour 😉😘

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

They were definitely not released on laserdisc as it would have meant pressing a second disc just for 12 minutes of footage - laserdisc can only hold 2 hours of time on 2 sides - I was a big laserdisc collector and still have all her music tour titles plus Prince wonderful lovesexy tour 😉😘

Wasnt BA on 2 discs? I cant remember TOD I thought the extra songs were on that? 

OMG Lovesexy 88 was the best! 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Idk...I'm really into lost media and its crazy how certain things are flat out lies and sadly how some things are in fact tossed out. 

Yeah. I wish I could remember more info about where I read it or who specifically it was- director, editor, etc. Couldn’t even tell you what site as it was some years ago.

Basically he was asked if there was hope the footage would ever be released and he was like, “as far as I know it no longer exists” etc. He also basically said warner thought they were milking what they could out of her while she was hot, and never imagined there’d be such interest in that footage later. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, MikeyK said:

Yeah. I wish I could remember more info about where I read it or who specifically it was- director, editor, etc. Couldn’t even tell you what site as it was some years ago.

Basically he was asked if there was hope the footage would ever be released and he was like, “as far as I know it no longer exists” etc. He also basically said warner thought they were milking what they could out of her while she was hot, and never imagined there’d be such interest in that footage later. 🤷‍♂️

The thing is over time memories get fuzzy and stories change like in this thread mentioning there was an untrue rumor that it was lost on 9/11 which wasnt even a rumor lol a long game of telephone!

I’m currently reading the Mary Gabriel biography “A Rebel Life”, which is fantastic by the way. She talks about the Virgin Tour in some length and explains that the Burning Up performance was very sexually provocative and at one point she simulates giving Paul Pesco a BJ. She says that because Madonna’s grandma was in the audience in Detroit that night, they cut the Burning Up performance and didn’t perform it out of respect for her grandma. I’ve never heard that story before. Very interesting. So Burning Up wouldn’t have been included anyway. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

The thing is over time memories get fuzzy and stories change like in this thread mentioning there was an untrue rumor that it was lost on 9/11 which wasnt even a rumor lol a long game of telephone!

Right. And who knows how true it was as it was like a news/interview blurb I read on a fansite (not even a video lol). I’d thought it sounded feasible which is why I’d held onto it in my mind. But anything could be true really. She keeps everything unreleased behind an opaque curtain lol.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:52 PM, MikeyK said:

Right. And who knows how true it was as it was like a news/interview blurb I read on a fansite (not even a video lol). I’d thought it sounded feasible which is why I’d held onto it in my mind. But anything could be true really. She keeps everything unreleased behind an opaque curtain lol.

AGAIN, this rumour was spread by MadonnaOnline and went viral on Orkut about 2006/7 time. They claimed to even know Madonna's actual blood type (B+, exactly same as mine - me and M can be perfect blood donators to each other!).