Rio de Janeiro live May 4, 2024

5 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

True but again, im not the only one and im allowed to do so. It's  a forum 😉...

No hard feelings.. 

I wasn’t meaning to insult you by saying you’re obsessed about it. I just think it’s funny :laughing: But it’s a valid discussion. I personally wish she’d just be 100% live and raw.

Just now, Blue Jean said:

I wasn’t meaning to insult you by saying you’re obsessed about it. I just think it’s funny :laughing: But it’s a valid discussion. I personally wish she’d just be 100% live and raw.

She did do express yourself that way I think.

1 hour ago, FraP said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I mean, her voice is never perfect, she makes a lot of mistakes here and there in every concert, but that's also the beauty of a live performance, hearing some errors makes the performance feel real and human.

In some songs, I approve of the audio dubbing (like in Crazy For You, for example), and I think it would have been necessary in Everybody, because strangely this time she didn't even sing in the verses (I really don't know why she made this choice but I noticed right away), so they could have used a recording of her live voice from moments when she sang good on tour, but they didn't do that at all.

But I think she sounded good enough in Holiday or Don't Tell Me. Don't Tell Me is live at the beginning (she was out of tempo so they couldn't dub her), then they replaced her voice with a vocal take that's way different from how she sounds live (which is good in that song) and it's very obvious.

You can really hear that first she sings with her voice and then it's replaced by other vocals with a much higher tone.

I like her slightly low voice in Don't Tell Me, it's perhaps the song where her current voice fits best overall. And if they really wanted to replace her voice, they could have done it with a recording of her best live performance on this tour, but they didn't do anything like that.

Bad Girl was a bit shaky, but I would have left it as it was. It wasn't bad at all. And if you're going to replace the audio, only do it in the phrases where it sounds really off, inserting a vocal take done in identical conditions (same microphone, always handheld, with the same audio system) so that the difference isn't perceived, and make sure it matches the video. In summary: excessive and stupid modifications.

Totally agree. I listened again today and I think a lot of it was backing track to be honest. Or at least, the backing was turned way up. I think they could have just used the backing to strengthen the overall sound rather than dominate it and she would have sounded fine.

Hopefully we see some changes for the re-broadcast. I’m not necessarily expecting they make her sound more live but at the very least they could fix some of the blatant errors that make it seem like she’s lip syncing. In Holiday there’s a part where she’s singing different words to the audio :laughing:

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes. This weekend.

Hope they fix the audio not matching the video. Let's see!

It also bothers me that the audience singing is out of sync 99% of the time, as if it had been added with approximate timing.

10 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Shes been saying that for the entire tour and it’s hilarious. I hope it’s not edited out.

I don't mind the part of her talking about it but the simulating was random. She is out of pocket sometimes haha.

a Truth Or Dare reference? haha

And then when she was thanking Rio later too. It just distracts from the point idk. 

But she's provocative and we love that.

I hope we get stems one day so I can edit out Tokisha and Bob. Bob 'singing' Entry of the Gladiators (yes, that's the name of that one circus song) during Vogue like he's done a line of coke under the stage before the song just annoys the shit out of me. And Tokisha talking about M getting laid are the most annoying parts of the show!!!

In fact, I enjoy the parts when Bob is off stage disproportionately more than when he is even present ( even without a mic)

22 minutes ago, FraP said:

Hope they fix the audio not matching the video. Let's see!

It also bothers me that the audience singing is out of sync 99% of the time, as if it had been added with approximate timing.

There was definitely an issue with sound sources not lining up or something. I really hope too that they fix all that and the glitches at the very least.

this pre-recorded vocals debacle is really tiring. she's been using them her whole career. and sometimes the choices seem really random: for example ggw on the mdna tour sounded completely lipped during the concerts (watch any bootleg) but then on the dvd it sounds like she's really singing, body shop on the rebel heart tour also sounds lipped during the concerts but then on the japanese audio bootleg (from the ear in monitor) you can hear she's really singing everything.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Totally agree. I listened again today and I think a lot of it was backing track to be honest. Or at least, the backing was turned way up. I think they could have just used the backing to strengthen the overall sound rather than dominate it and she would have sounded fine.

Hopefully we see some changes for the re-broadcast. I’m not necessarily expecting they make her sound more live but at the very least they could fix some of the blatant errors that make it seem like she’s lip syncing. In Holiday there’s a part where she’s singing different words to the audio :laughing:

Holliday is the weirdest of the entire rio show. There are notes added she didn’t even do when you listen to fan recordings. " Bring back all of those happy daaaaaaaaays " .... she never sang that note so long. Listen to it please lol... so it seems like she put down her mic to early because of that long " daaaaaaaaays " note. While in person its was just " Bring back all of those happy days " without the long note.  This parts bugs me the most lol. 

With our dedication about a perfect product, taking matters in our own hands is the best bet!

The new remaster we got is amazing, I was fooling around with Holiday and with  ZERO effort, I just replaced the weird lines and *viola!

Don't worry, with everyone wanting it so badly, we will have it blazing fast.

If someone could just make a topic similar to the 'Discoveries regarding the RHT DVD' so we have a collective thread where we can point out what they nailed and what needs some work. 

22 minutes ago, migsou said:

this pre-recorded vocals debacle is really tiring. she's been using them her whole career. and sometimes the choices seem really random: for example ggw on the mdna tour sounded completely lipped during the concerts (watch any bootleg) but then on the dvd it sounds like she's really singing, body shop on the rebel heart tour also sounds lipped during the concerts but then on the japanese audio bootleg (from the ear in monitor) you can hear she's really singing everything.

But this time it's the other way around. She sang almost all of it live in Rio, sure with backing tracks, but her live vocals could be heard just fine. Just like on the past dates. But in the audio of the broadcast it sounds edited and at some parts makes it seems like shes lipsyncing while in person she was not. I don't care if they fix vocals but they have to make sure they go in sync. Especially when she sang them live in person. This will start lipsyncing roumours while she wasn’t...

12 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

But this time it's the other way around. She sang almost all of it live in Rio, sure with backing tracks, but her live vocals could be heard just fine. Just like on the past dates. But in the audio of the broadcast it sounds edited and at some parts makes it seems like shes lipsyncing while in person she was not. I don't care if they fix vocals but they have to make sure they go in sync. Especially when she sang them live in person. This will start lipsyncing roumours while she wasn’t...

I think most non fans believe she lip syncs at this point and/or that she cannot sing. The expectation of great vocals is so much higher these days than it was 20 years ago or more. The Internet gives people so much more opportunity to scrutinize and dissect these things. And unless Madonna actually makes the effort to be 100% live and sound her best then this perception will continue. 

Mariah is now copping it for the same things and she was always known for her vocals. Unfortunately, that’s a result of her choices too. People are not so naive anymore as they were in the past.

It’s kind of bullshit because MJ blatantly lip synced 80% of the time and yet nobody ever talks about that at all.

16 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

Not me thinking she wore a different wig for Vogue when it really has the humidity thinning her Erotica wig out :Madonna006:

The wig was different at almost every show. I don’t know much about wigs but I assume it was being restyled each show.

29 minutes ago, migsou said:

GGW has always been lip-synced. She hasn't sung it live even once. But it's a recording engineered to sound live.

Body Shop was always live, and it never seemed lipped to me.

The point here is that this show was live from start to finish, and 12 min they made several shoddy audio substitutions for the TV broadcast.

The audience is almost always out of sync, creating a very unflattering effect. Sorry, but this bothers me A LOT. 

Plus, there are moments where her voice (specifically raw vocals and not backing vocals) is heard, and she's either not singing or singing different words from the audio. It's evident in Holiday and other moments too.It's a disaster; I almost suspect it was done by at most 2-3 people rather than a team of 20 people paying attention to all the details.

And it's a shame because it tarnishes her image, giving off an extreme sense of artificiality. Don't Tell Me was completely ruined, with audio that doesn't even remotely resemble her live voice which is heard just in the first verse (because she was out of tempo and they could not replace her voice there). And there too, you can hear her voice when she's not singing.

As far as I'm concerned, they can autotune all they want, but they need to do it in a way that sounds realistic and stays in sync. Everyone says she doesn't sing live for these reasons, and I hate it. I was there and we all listened to a live concert, not a mimed one.

28 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I think most non fans believe she lip syncs at this point and/or that she cannot sing. The expectation of great vocals is so much higher these days than it was 20 years ago or more. The Internet gives people so much more opportunity to scrutinize and dissect these things. And unless Madonna actually makes the effort to be 100% live and sound her best then this perception will continue. 

Mariah is now copping it for the same things and she was always known for her vocals. Unfortunately, that’s a result of her choices too. People are not so naive anymore as they were in the past.

It’s kind of bullshit because MJ blatantly lip synced 80% of the time and yet nobody ever talks about that at all.

She must be extremely insecure about her singing abilities (for good reasons); otherwise, she wouldn't go through all these maneuvers to mask her voice in a live recording. Sometimes I'm almost surprised she chooses to sing live, considering all of this.

And the cover-up is worse than the crime. She's really shooting herself in the foot.

I was so into this Rio show that I didn't even notice these screw-ups she made with the recordings. That's my super-fan side getting all hyped up and loving her no matter what, but then I take a step back after reading your comments, and I'm like, "Whoa." If it was just a little autotune on her real vocals, I'd get it, 'cause let's face it, she's been off-key in this tour, and her voice would sound awful coming out of a soundboard. But swapping it out with other performances? Disaster.

And forgive me for saying she's not as much of a perfectionist as she used to be. Many things she does are extremely contrived and sloppy. Instead of doing this, she could at least work on her technique a bit, or she could just be authentic and unmasked, letting her true voice be heard.

You're spot on when you say we're not in the MJ days anymore, where nobody cared about singing to a playback. Nowadays, almost everyone sings live, or at least tries to. People are WAY more tuned in to this stuff now.

Some people aren't, but they're minority right now. Or they're just happy fans who watch without paying attention to such details.

She's gonna end up being labeled as the queen of lip-syncing when it's not true.

I watched the whole broadcast with my friend and I did not notice half the shit you're all on about. There were certain songs that I thought did seem masked by pre-recorded vocals (Into The Groove / Everybody / Justify My Love  / Erotica come to mind) but I mostly felt it was live vocals shining through 90% of the show. 

And my friend DID make a comment about the audience "being behind a little" and hoped it didn't throw her off if she looked at them and saw them singing the wrong lines. 

But I don't think there was anything so bad to really stand out and make people doubt any authenticity. People aren't nitpicking.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic