Did she use sex to sell?

On 7/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, kesiak said:

You're completely misrepresenting what he meant - he posted that in response to somebody saying that Madonna has never used sex to sell her music or advance her career. He didn't mean it in derogatory way at all if you look at the whole thread, in fact, he clearly sees it as a celebratory and empowering thing. :)

Now you're lying. The quote he responded to, word for word

anyone who thinks madonna used sex to sell music is so dumb because her only albums with multiple sexual songs (Erotica and Rebel Heart) were her WORST selling at the time

and her sexual moments were never for the sake of being sexy or for the male gaze, it’s always a political statement. all her 1992 sexual visuals were grimey and dark, she never sold “sexiness”. it also almost ruined her career, so?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, deathproof said:

This behavior of "dragging" someone on twitter for such trivial things, and "teaching them a lesson," is very childish....

What happened to having fun?

The only person who did this is Inside The Groove...

AND throughout the debate it was him that decided to make fun of someones health condition.

This is who you guys are defending.

h.jpg

1 hour ago, godx said:

Inside The Groove is saying it wasn't political or layered, and that she just did it to sell / get attention.

And this is a bad thing?

1 hour ago, godx said:

And if anyone is re-writing history it's the person claiming Madonna used sex to sell 'her entire career'. (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004?)

Again, so what? This isn't an insult.

1 hour ago, godx said:

It's not a coincidence that this person has degraded and critisised her publicly for 20+ years and even made a living off it, I'm sure many of you know his history. Diminishing her entire career to mindless sex propoganda is the easiest way to undermine Madonna's legacy, misogynists have been doing it since the 1990s - he is nothing new.

As pointed out previously, this further proves that this whole ordeal is a personal attack on insidethegroove person.

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

And this is a bad thing?

Yes. Because it's not true.

Again, so what? This isn't an insult.

No one said insult. Spreading this false narrative is wrong, especially when it is degrading to Madonna as an activist and artist.

As pointed out previously, this further proves that this whole ordeal is a personal attack on insidethegroove person.

This whole ordeal was started by Insidethegroove screenshotting a tweet from an account that already had him blocked! Because he is a menace.

The reason so many fans fought back is because (1) He is wrong (2) He has a reputation on Twiter to attack Madonna and attack fans that stick up for her. 

The only personal attack is where Insidethegroove mocked someone for their health condition after being outed for degrading Madonna.

What I don't care for is the re-writing of Madonna's career and changing the narrative.

Then your problem is with Insidethegroove, I'm glad you agree with me.

8 hours ago, godx said:

Then your problem is with Insidethegroove, I'm glad you agree with me.

Not him. You lol

Madonna used sex to sell. Fact. And there’s nothing wrong with that. You kids are the ones doing the re-writes. You should be gathering stones to throw at Mary Lambert, Camille Paglia, and Michael Rosenblatt. They’ve been saying it for decades.

again:

The original point was that she never used sex for the sole purpose of selling music or for the male gaze. Her sexual art is always a political statement (female empowerment, lgbt rights, HIV awareness, sexual liberation, ageism) with many layers. Inside The Groove is saying it wasn't political or layered, and that she just did it to sell / get attention.

I won't continue as it's clearly an age thing for you, @deathproof. The implication that just because you're older you have a better understanding of Madonna's art? Sorry pal... you were never closer to her, you've just been around longer.

And isn't it so wonderful that her younger fans are able to dissect and analyze her incredible sexual/political art and learn things that older fans never understood. Cheers to that. 

5 minutes ago, godx said:

again:

I won't continue as it's clearly an age thing for you, @deathproof. The implication that just because you're older you have a better understanding of Madonna's art? Sorry pal... you were never closer to her, you've just been around longer.

And isn't it so wonderful that her younger fans are able to disect and analyze her incredible sexual/political art and learn things that older fans never understood. Cheers to that. 

Huh? What implication? Who’s close to Madonna? What dissection? Who’s older than who? Im So confused, and now it’s turning into a competition? 

You continue to erase everything that’s ever been said about Madonna. All those university studies and courses, published works, etc.., erased.