Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?

Donna

Most Iconic Madonna STUDIO Album?  

103 members voted

1. 1. Which Studio album do you believe will be mostly remembered from Madonna?

• Madonna
    • LIke A Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Like A Prayer
    • I'm Breathless (please explain?)
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions On A Dancefloor
    • Hard Candy
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

8 hours ago, Mden said:

The public /media usually fixate on a signature song. Like ‘Faith’ with George Michael, or Thriller. So with Madonna if it’s just a song I think it would be Material Girl. 

You think "Material Girl"??  You may be right, but for some reason I feel it should be "Like A Prayer".  I think that appeals to the general public more.  It's extremely universal.  Even those who can't stand Madonna, would admit to liking this one song. 

7 hours ago, steady75 said:

Sorry but it's not. Drowned World: Boo hoo you're famous. How relatable. 

Candy Perfume Girl, Skin, Swim, Sky Fits Heaven, Shanti, To Have And Not To Hold, Ray Of Light

Honestly most of the lyrics on the songs R above are nothing more than vignettes and imagery, metaphors. What do any of those songs actually mean? It's not relatable and as universal as the stuff on Like A Prayer. D

Nothing Really Matters is the most accessible song with clear concise lyrics and of course Little Star.  The Power Of Goodbye Is somewhat simpler but again she veers into ornate language for imagery at the expense of the story telling. 

Frozen lyrics are actually a little bit simplistic Love Dove Glove. 

As I say it's the amalgamation of the romantic imagery and vignettes against the flawless stainless steel and silicone production that makes the album special. It's a little bit dreamlike with smoke, mirrors and  metaphors. 

Like A Prayer is much more who she is. Upfront, honest, raw and real.

So Swim, to have and not hold, sky fits heaven, rol are not personal, are not rich? are not deep? Neither the power of goodbye, mer girl? Stupidest post ever. She wrote Swim the same day one of her dearest friend was killed, so go figure. 

Another thing is that you feel that LAP is more organic and raw, ok but that does not mean ROL is less honest. Give me any ROL song over Love song or ,Spanish eyes with those out of key vocals.

43 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Oh boy... Spanish Eyes and Love song are classic Madonna's tracks. Pure Madonna. Please, don't attack them to defend ROL. 

Are they "classics" though?  While I love them, they hardly are tracks on LAP that I would first go to and I think most fans and in this case of this thread, anyone in the general public would really recognize or know.  In both cases, the songs aren't really songs anyone will know or remember, except for huge fans and possibly huge fans of that album.

1 hour ago, tscott said:

Are they "classics" though?  While I love them, they hardly are tracks on LAP that I would first go to and I think most fans and in this case of this thread, anyone in the general public would really recognize or know.  In both cases, the songs aren't really songs anyone will know or remember, except for huge fans and possibly huge fans of that album.

The same happens with other ROL tracks.  That is not exclusive of LAP album. But I don't need to attack weaker ROL tracks to defend LAP album.

I don't think we'll experience a massive difference from what we see right now on Spotify: with five legendary singles, and a sound that defines the 80s more than any album from that decade, True Blue is and will always be her most popular album.

But in general, I guess her 80s production + Confessions will always be the favourite Madonna... at least among the casual listeners.

1 hour ago, Mden said:

That she’s still here and is taken for granted. Especially her recent outputs.  

Oh I agree.  Then again, some are just fans of certain eras.  She has quite the diverse fan base. Even between her first two albums and the release of True Blue, her fan base shifted.  It's hard for any artist who has been around as long as she has to maintain the same appreciation and fan base.  Some love it all, while others favor particular eras.  I can respect that.  What I don't get is some who clearly haven't been happy for two decades, yet hang out at her fan groups and crap on everything she does.  Seems like a waste of time to me. 

On 5/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, steady75 said:

it'll be the album that best represents her themes and brand most succinctly:

• Female Expression
  • Dismantling the patriarchy
  • Mixing sexual & religious themes
  • Brutal honesty and soul bearing
  • The personal losses that affected her
  • The ones that give a deeper understanding of drove her to be a star.
  • Her ability to craft a simple joyful pop tune
  • A willingness to change by making an artistic turn I'm favour of a commercial appeal.
  • The ability to show multiple sides of herself and poke fun at herself.

There's only one answer

Like A Prayer

Ray Of Light couldn't exist without Like A Prayer really, and in truth it's not THAT deep. When you strip away the production the bones of the songs and not as strong in truth.

She rejects fame, has a spiritual awakening, becomes a mom, misses her mom.

The weight of everything happening on Like A Prayer and the themes it explored including not just in the music but the videos and the era, Female Empowerment, Misogyny, Institutional Racism, Divorce, Spousal Abuse, Grief, Childhood, Love, Family, Personal Reinvention, Hope,  Her corporate power considering how the Pepsi deal went. The only incidental song on Like A Prayer is Spanish Eyes. It's brilliant but It just doesn't fit the theme at all. Everything else makes sense. 

Spanish Eyes was her latin appeal quota. She always have one track for the hispanic audience and I think it was clever that it was'nt just about fiesta , sunlight and having fun. Touching the most emotional and deeper sense of the album.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:09 PM, Drownedboy said:

So Swim, to have and not hold, sky fits heaven, rol are not personal, are not rich? are not deep? Neither the power of goodbye, mer girl? Stupidest post ever. She wrote Swim the same day one of her dearest friend was killed, so go figure. 

You mean she REWROTE lyrics into Swim?

Susannah Melvoin was the one behind the demo for Swim and Candy perfume Girl

I think ROL feels emotional in a trance/electronic approach to it. Something for that time, when some dance producers wanted to showcase more than just soulless beats. Several artist were pairing with proper vocalist and writing deeper songs about love, life and humanity. And Madonna jump at the right time with the right entourage. Surprising so many people.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:17 PM, MPowered said:

Imagine thinking I’m Breathless was more iconic/timeless/influential than RAY OF LIGHT. Which is literally one of her most critically acclaimed and considered one of THE most influential albums of ALL TIME.

I still think we are overhyping and exaggerating ROL impact: I'm not saying it's a bad album, no one can deny its success, but it seems to me that too many fans act like in 1998 Madonna invented the trip hop sound... but in 1999, that sound was already dead.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

I still think we are overhyping and exaggerating ROL impact: I'm not saying it's a bad album, no one can deny its success, but it seems to me that too many fans act like in 1998 Madonna invented the trip hop sound... but in 1999, that sound was already dead.

We absolutely aren’t.

Ray of Light also isn’t trip hop entirely. It was early EDM, some Eurotrance (which was pretty new back then) among others. However, what makes it such a great album was, that it was a huge sonic, visual and lyrical re-invention for Madonna. It was like watching an entirely different artist. It’s the one Madonna album almost everyone (non-fans in particular) agree is a masterpiece. It’s viewed as the blueprint of a "comeback album" because its impact also helped Music be such a great success.

That said, nobody said she invented anything. However, the blend of dance music and philosophical, spiritual and deeply personal lyrics was quite unique. The album had massive impact on a lot of artists that came after Madonna.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:08 PM, steady75 said:

Sorry but it's not. Drowned World: Boo hoo you're famous. How relatable. 

Candy Perfume Girl, Skin, Swim, Sky Fits Heaven, Shanti, To Have And Not To Hold, Ray Of Light

Honestly most of the lyrics on the songs R above are nothing more than vignettes and imagery, metaphors. What do any of those songs actually mean? It's not relatable and as universal as the stuff on Like A Prayer. D

Nothing Really Matters is the most accessible song with clear concise lyrics and of course Little Star.  The Power Of Goodbye Is somewhat simpler but again she veers into ornate language for imagery at the expense of the story telling. 

Frozen lyrics are actually a little bit simplistic Love Dove Glove. 

As I say it's the amalgamation of the romantic imagery and vignettes against the flawless stainless steel and silicone production that makes the album special. It's a little bit dreamlike with smoke, mirrors and  metaphors. 

Like A Prayer is much more who she is. Upfront, honest, raw and real.

You are talking out of your ass now.

5 hours ago, MPowered said:

Ray of Light also isn’t trip hop entirely. It was early EDM, some Eurotrance (which was pretty new back then) among others. However, what makes it such a great album was, that it was a huge sonic, visual and lyrical re-invention for Madonna. It was like watching an entirely different artist. It’s the one Madonna album almost everyone (non-fans in particular) agree is a masterpiece.

Honestly, believe it or not, they said the same of "Like A Prayer". Yes, ROL was a comeback, but LAP was treated as her first "adult" album. And the impact of LAP and its singles was huge (extended thanks to the Immaculate Collection).

I see a lot of people banking on Ray of Light as if it’s an album that’s heralded by the GP the way True Blue or LAP are. I’d dare say, it’s gonna be the Immaculate and Celebration and FEL that are shoved in our faces hahahaha. Vogue and Like A Prayer will be everywhere. And if there was an album that would be suddenly even more important than all that, it will prob be True Blue. Not a beat was missed with its five singles. Erotica, Ray of Light, Confessions will be mentioned heavily though I’m sure. 

• Donna changed the title to Which STUDIO album do you feel will be most celebrated after she passes?