Album Tracks in order of streams.

steady75

Who’d have thought MIA’s stans would be more supportive than the barbz…

Immaculate unfortunately did seem to fall out of favor in the streaming era after holding its own through the digital sales era. That’s why I think it’s nice they released that remastered for atmos version to sort of renew interest. Even if it won’t matter much on spotify.

It’s interesting how things vary from spotify to apple. On 🍎 it’s primarily the original album versions of her classics that get the highest streams. The power of playlisting I guess. Even TIC tracks stream better than their Celebration counterparts, which seem to get very little.

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Thought this might be interesting to look at. Done by hand so hopefully not too many errors :/

LIKE A PRAYER

1. Like A Prayer - 90.835,688
  2. Cherish - 11,984.794
  3. Express Yourself - 11,097,461

It's strange. Cherish was a little flop, and EY a hit. I don't understand these numbers...

Thank you @steady75 for posting this.  I never got the hate for Celebration. While I agree it has it's omissions and a few errors (which have been corrected and hardly detected by anyone but the hardcore fans), it's the most retrospective Greatest Hits album yet from Madonna.  While nothing will top Immaculate Collection (at the time), more and more people are looking at her full catalog beyond 1990.  Celebration is a great representation of her classics.  Fans can be picky and critical, but the general public hasn't the same issues. They don't know the difference between all the mixes and edits over the years. They just are looking for the song and enjoying it.  They aren't thinking, "wait, this is missing 2 seconds of the drum beat at the beginning of a song".  LOL!  Greatest Hits are usually aimed at the general public as the hardcore fans tend to own everything in between. 

Bitch, I'm Madonna is a huge song for Madonna despite the hate by some fans.  It comes nowhere close to her classic hits, but it fits in there with them.  If anything, it's a nod to whom she is as an artist and how she's able to take advantage of a current sound and still make noise.

The problem with your initial post is that many people like me are going to want you to keep this up to date.  Are you up for the challenge?

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this - Appreciate all your efforts @steady75

Open Your Heart, while one of her all time best tracks has really low streams when compared to its respective album.

question, for tracks that are available on numerous different albums, tracks like Express Yourself, the number you are showing is just the number of streams from that specific album? If so, id be interested in seeing the Total for each track no matter where that stream came from.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's strange. Cherish was a little flop, and EY a hit. I don't understand these numbers...

I’d say they performed about the same in most major markets. EY is just more remembered. The Born This Way situation helped that a bit.

But he’s right, the IC mix of EY ctrl + H replaced the album version in the public consciousness, to the point I think some people don’t know the album version even exists. For a while I thought the same was going to happen w/LAP as the IC mix seemed to get all the recurrent airplay in the 90s-00s. I guess including the album version on Celebration saved it.

If she based the Celebration tour setlist around most streamed that would be an awful setlist lol

Looks like the top 30 songs are (in chronological order): Holiday, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into the Groove, La Isla Bonita, Papa Don't Preach, Live to Tell, True Blue, Like a Prayer, Take a Bow, Frozen, Ray of Light, The Power of Goodbye, Music, American Pie, Die Another Day, Hung Up, Sorry, Jump, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me, Girl Gone Wild, Gimme All Your Luvin, Celebration, Bitch I'm Madonna, Ghosttown, Living for Love, Medellin, Faz Gostozo

What a great work compiling all those figures, congrats and thank you @steady75

In the end "Celebration" is the most loved album by the general public at least on Spotify, yes. Almost all the "Celebration" versions or tracks merged with the album versions are the most listened to ones, except for "Like A Virgin", maybe - the album version is the one. But in general, all the songs included on "Celebration" benefit from it and the excluded ones are usually much lower in streams.

As @tscottsaid, general public couldn't give a f**k about the three first beats missing on "Dress You Up", or the remastering, or "Express Yourself" being a mix of three different remixes, etc. They just want to bop to the songs. And "Celebration" is perfect for that.

I just wish it was with a much better compilation. "Immaculate" can't be, obviously, cause that journey ends in 1990. "GHV2" served its purpose in 2001-2002 and it's completely forgotten now. But I wouldn't mind at all a revised digital "Celebration" in time for the tour with fixed errors and maybe some additional tracks.

I still think that bad sound can put people off of certain tracks, even if they don't care about sound or are not conscious about it. But you simply don't get the desire to listen to that track often or again if the experience is bad. It's not the same not liking a song as not enjoying the version you're presented with. Take "Music" as an example. The "Celebration" version is glitchy. It's not a good listening experience. And at 69M but being one of her biggest songs, it should be more, I think, with a proper version/remaster.

Same for the "Like A Virgin" album. It's quiet and flat on the digital release, but it was one of her biggest. A good remastered version could make some people appreciate it more - or care about it.

For some reason, "GMAYL" and "Girl Gone Wild" numbers always surprise me. They're not megahits but quite respectable figures for a 2012 release (streaming really started to took over in 2014-2015). Shows the potential there for commercial success with those singles with proper promo and push, something that Warner would have done.

"Bitch I'm Madonna" was truly the lost megahit of the 10s. Imagine that as the 1st single. And of course "Faz Gostoso" in Latin countries.

"Birthday Song" is purely because of the title, as @EgoRodpointed out.

I won’t be updating the streams numbers in real time sadly. I thought part of the beauty of it would be to keep a snap shot of her numbers at this point in time. In another ten years after the Movie, another few albums, some features and some new retrospective collections we can look back again and see how the dial has changed on certain songs.

7 hours ago, dankpepe said:

If she based the Celebration tour setlist around most streamed that would be an awful setlist lol

Looks like the top 30 songs are (in chronological order): Holiday, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy for You, Into the Groove, La Isla Bonita, Papa Don't Preach, Live to Tell, True Blue, Like a Prayer, Take a Bow, Frozen, Ray of Light, The Power of Goodbye, Music, American Pie, Die Another Day, Hung Up, Sorry, Jump, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me, Girl Gone Wild, Gimme All Your Luvin, Celebration, Bitch I'm Madonna, Ghosttown, Living for Love, Medellin, Faz Gostozo

They’re not cumulative tho. I’ve used the album version totals and only the combined as listed where no other info is available. 

The real gaggy list would be for someone who has more time than sense to add up the Spotify streams for every version of each song. All remixes, album and live versions of each song. That’s probably the true test of which song is most popular. (Or most over represented)

and as others had said Spotify isn’t the whole metric. Apple Music, Amazon and You Tube etc has billions of streams and we’ll never be able to account for the sales of these singles and the endless amount we’ve played our local files etc but it’s still a cute exercise to look at for a snapshot of now. 

5,252,234 of birthday song’s streams are from me. I absolutely love that song. It’s got that 70’s soft rock vibe that Midge hasn’t done before or since (link me if she has, even if it’s a remix)

It’s ironic that two political powerhouses in music made a song about partying instead of human rights or something. My only issue is that it doesn’t fit the sound of MDNA at all. Definitely fits better on Rebel Heart