"Ain't No Big Deal" discussion

Holger

Maybe I'd prefer one of the other versions, although I don't like the "Pre-Madonna" version either. But who knows.

"Borderline" on the album is terrible, sounding really outdated and even of less quality than the rest of the songs. But the Jellybean Remixes are what is saving the song for me.

2 hours ago, Holger said:

Maybe I'd prefer one of the other versions, although I don't like the "Pre-Madonna" version either. But who knows.

"Borderline" on the album is terrible, sounding really outdated and even of less quality than the rest of the songs. But the Jellybean Remixes are what is saving the song for me.

Borderline never clicked with me. I think it’s so cheesy and boring. It doesn’t have enough edge for my liking.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:36 AM, Holger said:

Agree, the album version is boring, dated adult contemporary. It kinda throws off the otherwise edgier, funkier vibe of the rest of it.

I have mixed feelings about the cowbell added the the remixes but the rest of the arrangement changes are an improvement. Replacing the album version with the 12” mix on streaming is the one “mistake” I don’t mind.

2 hours ago, chrisjc said:

As we know Ain't No Big Deal was sold to another artist by Stephen Bray and thus not allowed to be on the album. Then it appeared on the Japanese release of Dress You Up and later on the B-side of Papa Don't Preach or True Blue. What happened to allow this to be released on Madonna releases?

I think it didn't make sense to release it on her album, not that it wasn't allowed to be on the album.... so a B-side was the only logical option.

19 hours ago, chrisjc said:

As we know Ain't No Big Deal was sold to another artist by Stephen Bray and thus not allowed to be on the album. Then it appeared on the Japanese release of Dress You Up and later on the B-side of Papa Don't Preach or True Blue. What happened to allow this to be released on Madonna releases?

It was dropped as the first single and from the inclusion of the album before Stephen Bray sold the rights to July 4 Music.  Warner/Sire acquired the rights to use the song and "July 4th Music" is credited on all Madonna releases, including on the Revenge of the Killer B's album that was released in 1985. 

The version Madonna officially released is the Reggie Lucas produced track in 1982, which they originally shelved, rather use it on the first album.  I think the more interesting question is why they decided to release Madonna's version, after shelving it?  My guess, they were capitalizing on her new rising success by releasing something rare to the Killer B's album and B-sides of various Madonna singles.

If I recall, Bray and Madonna had a rocky relationship during the making of the First album , and he most likely sold the rights out of retaliation (if not to make some money).  The song was recorded and  officially released first in 1983 by the female disco act Barracuda, before Warner/Sire came back around and acquired the rights to release Madonna's version.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Rebel said:

I have always loved that song!  But only the official version produced by Reggie Lucas (4:12 B-side PDP single)

I heard it for the first time back in june 1986 as the PDP B-side single

It should included on The First Album for sure!

Well, Kamins and Jellybean did produce alternate versions for ANBD that have never come to surface yet. And I'd be very pleased if they actually leak someday (even I know ofc they won't, at least while M still breathes).