The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

How strange that she would express herself that way onstage in front of her audience. I guess it’s not a big deal, but personally I find it really off-puttingly uncharacteristic and unprofessional. She must be feeling under the weather, or maybe her hip or knee are hurting. I’m guessing she isn’t talking about the a/c in the open arena because it’s been hotter than hell at most shows on the floor…she must feel the chill of it coming into her dressing area or under the stage? I’m guessing she’s just over it all and is finding herself feeling exhausted in the last stretch knowing that she still has to ten shows to go. She’s probably angry at herself and it’s her way of getting herself energized. 

It was definitely the AC thing, exact moment she ask them to turn it off on "Open Your Heart":

Well, if she was asking for it since "Open Your Heart" and they still hadn't done it by "Hung Up", no wonder she was so pissed off about it. It's such a simple request to protect her voice and health, not a diva thing.

2 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

"You don't know how much I've been waiting for this whole fu**ing show. I am working my a$$ off, I deserve it. Respect me. The show will not go on until you respect me." 
#Madonna last night in #Miami. She was upset  due to technical issues happening at the show and also the AC being super cold which is affecting her voice ahead of the 2 million people show in Rio. She was absolutely right! 

#madonnacelebrationtour #queenofpop

“Please give Keith a new a—hole.”  Keith has probably retired since Blond Ambition but someone got a new one after last nights show.

I guess it's all relative, varying performance to performance, but she didn't seem to be giving it her all last night.  I watched some of Open Your Heart, and she appears to not sing a few words, for example.  

What time did the show start last night?

I only realized yesterday that she arrives to each venue more than 5 hours before each show starts.  I didn't realize it was this far in advance.  

5 minutes ago, madonnainbrooklyn said:

I only realized yesterday that she arrives to each venue more than 5 hours before each show starts.  I didn't realize it was this far in advance.  

Usually acts arrive at the venue they perform that night around 3/4/5 PM, to do the soundcheck and prepare themselves.

I disagree with the fans saying it was a "cute" moment or that this was reasonable, given her "voice". 

It was sweltering in that arena. Why does no one ever seem to care about the fans or attendees? Maybe it helps her "voice", but at the risk of heat stroke for thousands of others? C'mon.

She wasn't humorous about these asks to the crew, and her overall energy in all of her speeches was pretty negative. The post-Hung Up moment was especially awkward in-person, as she went back and forth a fair amount with the crew. You could tell they were fighting with her in her ear monitors. Saying things like "I'll dock your pay" in front of thousands of fans is so elitist and rude. She also told a fan to "shut the fuck up" at one point before Burning Up, and it wasn't in a cheeky humorous way. My friends kept saying how horrible of a mood she seemed to be in all night. 

I don't know, she's been pretty nasty at 3 of the 7 shows I've seen now, and it's starting to taint my perception of her a little bit. If she's comfortable talking to her crew & fans like this in public, imagine what she's like to everyone behind the scenes?

9 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

I disagree with the fans saying it was a "cute" moment or that this was reasonable, given her "voice". 

It was sweltering in that arena. Why does no one ever seem to care about the fans or attendees? Maybe it helps her "voice", but at the risk of heat stroke for thousands of others? C'mon.

She wasn't humorous about these asks to the crew, and her overall energy in all of her speeches was pretty negative. The post-Hung Up moment was especially awkward in-person, as she went back and forth a fair amount with the crew. You could tell they were fighting with her in her ear monitors. Saying things like "I'll dock your pay" in front of thousands of fans is so elitist and rude. She also told a fan to "shut the fuck up" at one point before Burning Up, and it wasn't in a cheeky humorous way. My friends kept saying how horrible of a mood she seemed to be in all night. 

I don't know, she's been pretty nasty at 3 of the 7 shows I've seen now, and it's starting to taint my perception of her a little bit. If she's comfortable talking to her crew & fans like this in public, imagine what she's like to everyone behind the scenes?

Then if she gets to Rio with no voice at all you'll all be complaining again on how bad she sounds and how embarrassing it all is.

She tries to protect herself to finish her tour in a proper way and she's a diva.

She really can't win. Ever.

In her defense, how many times does she have to repeat herself about this issue. This is like the 70th show and she's telling this at almost every show, especially in the US. Funny how these venues know that she's starting late but always "forget" that she hates the AC

31 minutes ago, sara94 said:

In her defense, how many times does she have to repeat herself about this issue. This is like the 70th show and she's telling this at almost every show, especially in the US. Funny how these venues know that she's starting late but always "forget" that she hates the AC

I agree! You accommodate your artist at a venue. She is making those venues a lot of money.  If something happens to her, they have no show.  I honestly don't think she was asking anything unreasonable and the fact she was fighting with the crew throughout the whole shows lack of respect for the artist.  It was like they were purposely fucking with her.  She seemed genuinely apologetic to the fans and was clear it wasn't them who were the problem. :)

1 hour ago, eXtremeOccident said:

She was AMAZING last night, diva like yes, but nothing that affected the delivery of the show. 

The show and herself are wonderful and people sweating in shorts and tank tops is something we all appreciated, the people around me were excited beyond 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Then if she gets to Rio with no voice at all you'll all be complaining again on how bad she sounds and how embarrassing it all is.

She tries to protect herself to finish her tour in a proper way and she's a diva.

Exactly and to MEXICO as well!!!

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Sooo true!!!

2 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Well my dear friend (it's been a while!), we all know she's a pretty rotten human being when it comes to her attitude and general personality. I just find the best way to admire her is to admire her artistry and performance but not to admire her as a human being because she just isn't a likeable person. Although I believe she has admirable political stances her overall contempt towards her fans and crew tells me shes a seriously horrible person and there's nothing admirable about that. The guy who films near the B stage was talking to fans in Stockholm about how she isn't nice to be around if there is a problem.

But she's Madonna, I guess she doesn't have to be a nice person.

1 hour ago, Donna said:

I agree! You accommodate your artist at a venue. She is making those venues a lot of money.  If something happens to her, they have no show.  I honestly don't think she was asking anything unreasonable and the fact she was fighting with the crew throughout the whole shows lack of respect for the artist.  It was like they were purposely fucking with her.  She seemed genuinely apologetic to the fans and was clear it wasn't them who were the problem. :)

You think her crew is purposefully fucking with her? :rip:

1 minute ago, eXtremeOccident said:

I think for me, the comfort of 20,000 paying guests should be paramount over the vanity of a singer and her 'vocals' that she puts no real effort into anyway tbh. The whole AC off bullshit is just a flex or power. She even did it during Confessions where over a quarter of the show was generally mimed anyway.

Just now, scion said:

I think for me, the comfort of 20,000 paying guests should be paramount over the vanity of a singer and her 'vocals' that she puts no real effort into anyway tbh. The whole AC off bullshit is just a flex or power. She even did it during Confessions where over a quarter of the show was generally mimed anyway.

Agreed, no one ever seems to care about the audience in any of these threads. It's like people find humor in her audience being as miserable as possible. 

7 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

I merely suggested a possibility.  Surely not her OWN crew, but the venue crew.  I mean; let's be real here. She requested the air to be shut off numerous times and they didn't comply.  I'm open to the fact there was some confusion or miscommunication going on between her and the crew/venue.:)

4 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Also no one seems to have posted this one, which was before the back and forth exchange with the crew posted a few pages back:

I mean seriously, she's acting like an absolute nobhead here.

1 minute ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Agreed, no one ever seems to care about the audience in any of these threads. It's like people find humor in her audience being as miserable as possible. 

Exactly. It's really odd. 

5 minutes ago, scion said:

Well my dear friend (it's been a while!), we all know she's a pretty rotten human being when it comes to her attitude and general personality. I just find the best way to admire her is to admire her artistry and performance but not to admire her as a human being because she just isn't a likeable person. Although I believe she has admirable political stances her overall contempt towards her fans and crew tells me shes a seriously horrible person and there's nothing admirable about that. The guy who films near the B stage was talking to fans in Stockholm about how she isn't nice to be around if there is a problem.

But she's Madonna, I guess she doesn't have to be a nice person.

This is just weird to me. We don't know what she's like as a person. The nature of parasocial fandom is we think we do cos we take the (generally very carefully choreographed) glimpses we see and turn that into a whole person. She's over 70 shows in and and this is the first time we've had something like this, and it's clear from the exchanges here that no-one really knows what was going on behind the scenes and we're guessing. It really doesn't seem that big a deal.

As for AC, I went to a couple of shows where I read after the fact that apparently the AC was turned off but I honestly didn't notice..but then again they were in generally cold countries!

• Enrico unfeatured this topic