The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Adonna

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Is this for the orgy?

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Yeah, thanks for this video! That’s why we also had to bring into the analysis the choreography as many movements have meaning and intention, even in classical judeo-Christian traditions as ours. 

Great find @stefo, I studied for some years a long long time ago the teachings of Gurdjieff and they were always very interesting, I was in college so I would have a different perspective if I read them again as a mature adult 

I think it's interesting and beautifully executed, it's one of the many highlights of this show. I think it comes after The beast within, wich is about moral and mystical conscience, and shows the way, the forms of a different perception of being human, through the integration of all our elements and energies (wich is also represented with Sefirot and all the graphic symbols you noted). For what I remember, these movements are intended to help the energy flow, revealing the mechalicalness of the body and relaxing the tension. Actually both numbers are coreographed by the genius Damien Jalet (who also coreographed JML, other incredible number). The strange thing is that, if I'm not delirious, under a narrative perspective, after that Bedtime story would have had much more sense than Don't tell me :lol:

(I'm curious to know who did the coreo for Like a Prayer, by the way, wich is not at the level of these three but very very effective for me, also the idea to represent these neon crosses and masked dancers, wich makes me think to a kind of BDSM atmoshere, wich leads to Erotica).

Edit: I don't remember if I already posted this, but it's the best video of NRM I watched since.

24 minutes ago, stefo said:

I think it's interesting and beautifully executed, it's one of the many highlights of this show. I think it comes after The beast within, wich is about moral and mystical conscience, and shows the way, the forms of a different perception of being human, through the integration of all our elements and energies (wich is also represented with Sefirot and all the graphic symbols you noted). Actually both numbers are coreographed by the genius Damien Jalet (who also coreographed JML, other incredible number). The strange thing is that, if I'm not delirious, under a narrative perspective, after that Bedtime story would have had much more sense than Don't tell me :lol:

(I'm curious to know who did the coreo for Like a Prayer, by the way, wich is not at the level of these three but very very effective for me, also the idea to represent these neon crosses and masked dancers, wich makes me think to a kind of BDSM atmoshere, wich leads to Erotica).

Edit: I don't remember if I already posted this, but it's the best video of NRM I watched since.

Nice video but horrible sound. And you only hear drunken queens singing along.

7 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

Nice video but horrible sound. And you only hear drunken queens singing along.

Yeah, it's true, at the same time it makes me feel like I'm there, in the moment.  You're right I did not specify it anyway, I was mostly refering to the quality of the image and the possibility to enjoy her expressions and movements.

46 minutes ago, stefo said:

I think it's interesting and beautifully executed, it's one of the many highlights of this show. I think it comes after The beast within, wich is about moral and mystical conscience, and shows the way, the forms of a different perception of being human, through the integration of all our elements and energies (wich is also represented with Sefirot and all the graphic symbols you noted). Actually both numbers are coreographed by the genius Damien Jalet (who also coreographed JML, other incredible number). The strange thing is that, if I'm not delirious, under a narrative perspective, after that Bedtime story would have had much more sense than Don't tell me :lol:

Agreed this is the best so far. Outstanding.

5 hours ago, stefo said:

Sidi Larbi choreographed LAP, every dancer is a representation of Jesus in the stages of his suffering, in the end Jesus tries to take Madonna down so she has to overcome him/his authority. There was a really nice interview with him after the Antwerp shows, but it's in Dutch, but for those who know how to use google translate here it is :lol:

Belg Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui choreografeerde Madonna: ‘Ze is een heilige, maar ook een mens van vlees en bloed’

‘Het was heel emotioneel’, vertelt Cherkaoui wanneer we hem bellen na de twee concerten van Madonna afgelopen weekend in het Sportpaleis. ‘Veel mensen die deel uitmaken van mijn leven waren erbij: mijn moeder van 75, mijn broer en zijn dochter van 15, mijn beste schoolvrienden van vroeger … Als ik werk doe van dit kaliber speelt zich dat meestal ver weg af en ziet niemand het (Cherkaoui choreografeerde eerder al onder meer Beyoncé en de Broadway-show ‘Jagged little pill’, red.), terwijl Madonna dit keer gewoon optrad om mijn hoek.’

De Queen of Pop vroeg de Antwerpse choreograaf, die na zijn periode bij Opera Ballet Vlaanderen nu vooral in Genève werkt, afgelopen december als een van de choreografen voor haar Celebration-wereldtournee, die vorige week in Londen werd afgetrapt. Die keuze gebeurde op aanraden van een andere Belg, Damien Jalet, met wie Cherkaoui in het verleden beroemde dansvoorstellingen maakte en die het voor het zeggen heeft over het choreografenteam van de show. 

Moeilijke coming-out

‘Toen Madonna mij vroeg om mee te doen, heb ik niet getwijfeld’, vertelt Cherkaoui. ‘I owe it to her! Het is belangrijk dat ik dit deed voor haar, omdat ze zelf zo veel voor mij heeft betekend.’ Op zijn zeventiende droomde hij ervan om te dansen voor Madonna, en twee jaar later volgde hij een stage bij een van haar dansers in Brooklyn. Bij haar dansen is er uiteindelijk nooit van gekomen, ook omdat Cherkaoui steeds meer het pad van de hedendaagse dans uitging. 

Toch bleef hij haar al die tijd bewonderen. Zeker de documentaire Madonna: Truth or dare, bij ons uitgebracht onder de naam In bed with Madonna, waarbij de popster werd gevolgd tijdens haar Blonde ambition-tour uit 1990, was voor Cherkaoui een eyeopener, omdat het een van de eerste keren was dat homoseksualiteit – in volle aidscrisis – zo onproblematisch werd getoond. ‘Zonder deze film was mijn eigen coming-out, die al moeilijk genoeg was, nog veel moeilijker geweest’, aldus Cherkaoui. 

Of hij haar dat ook heeft durven zeggen? ‘Het eerste wat ik Madonna vertelde, toen ik in december bij haar thuis in New York over de eerste ideeën voor de show brainstormde, was hoeveel ze voor mij heeft betekend. Terwijl haar manager me nog had verteld: “Je zou eens moeten weten hoeveel mensen dat zeggen.”’ (lacht)

Vrouwelijke Jezussen

Voor haar nieuwe, met superlatieven onthaalde concert, choreografeerde Cherkaoui vier nummers. ‘Veel ideeën en choreografieën zijn uiteindelijk gesneuveld – de deleted scenes, zeg maar. Zo heeft ‘Frozen’ de setlist niet gehaald, maar de visuals van dat nummer worden nu gebruikt bij ‘Rain’ – een geniaal idee van Madonna zelf.’ De scène waarin Madonna door politieagenten wordt opgepakt bij ‘Human nature’ en die met de kubus met videobeelden uit gamewerelden tijdens ‘Bedtime story’ zijn van de hand van Cherkaoui, naast de dansbewegingen van twee van Madonna’s grootste hits: ‘Holiday’ en ‘Like a prayer’, beide al vroeg in de set. 

Bij ‘Holiday’ komt de grote discobol aan het einde naar beneden en verplettert die een danser – een idee van Cherkaoui – wat een naadloze overgang vormt naar ‘Live to tell’, waarin Madonna op grote videoschermen beroemde aidsdoden herinnert, zoals Keith Haring. ‘Madonna is heel gevoelig voor de dramaturgische logica van een show’, vertelt Cherkaoui. ‘Terwijl veel andere artiesten fragmentarisch denken, zoekt Madonna echt naar vloeiende overgangen in haar show.’

Voor ‘Like a prayer’ was er de vraag om iets met kooien te doen. ‘Mensen uit de popwereld linken mij altijd aan objecten, omdat ze op Youtube fragmenten hebben gezien van Babel en Sutra, de shows die ik maakte met objecten van Antony Gormley’, aldus Cherkaoui. ‘Madonna wilde graag de verschillende stadia uit de lijdensweg van Christus verbeelden tijdens ‘Like a prayer’. Ik kreeg twaalf dansers en wist al gauw: elke danser is Christus, of die nu een man of vrouw is. Aan het eind wil de christusfiguur Madonna van haar piëdestal halen omdat ze een vrouw is. Terwijl zij denkt: dit kan niet, I have to put Jezus down. Het is een scène waarin ze duidelijk haar grenzen stelt, een krachtig beeld van empowerment.’

Altijd te laat

Dat rijmt met een rode draad doorheen de show: hoe Madonna in haar meer dan veertig jaar durende carrière zo vaak beschimpt en bespot werd. ‘Al die mensen die haar hebben gekleineerd of als minderwaardig zagen … Dat vormt een mens’, aldus Cherkaoui. ‘Ging de kritiek niet over haar gezicht of haar lichaam, dan wel over hoe ze vaak te laat komt. In de ogen van het publiek is ze altijd the guilty one.’

Maar in Antwerpen liet Madonna haar publiek toch twee avonden bijna twee uur op zich wachten? Volgens Cherkaoui heeft het niets te maken met divagedrag. ‘Zaterdagavond voelde ze zich niet goed. “Pray for me because I’m really not well”, zei ze voor de show. Ze heeft toch opgetreden, ook al oogde ze fragiel. Zondagavond was er in de loges plots geen elektriciteit meer, waardoor alles verhuisd moest worden en ook die show vertraging opliep.’

Beide avonden viel het op hoe Madonna’s linkerknie stevig ingepakt was, een gevolg van een eerdere blessure. Dat had natuurlijk een impact op de choreografie, zegt Cherkaoui, maar geen ramp: ‘Als choreograaf hou je altijd rekening met mensen. Soms zei Madonna zelf: “Ik ga het zo doen”, en dan veranderden we de dansbewegingen gewoon. Tenzij ik zei dat het mooier is als ze het anders doet, en dan luisterde ze, meestal.’ (lacht)

Down to earth

‘Madonna blijft wel echt Madonna’, geeft Cherkaoui toe. ‘Ze doet wat ze wil en volgt altijd haar eigen instincten – daarin heeft ze gelijk. Ze is niet op haar mond gevallen en zegt alles wat ze denkt, wat soms in het verkeerde keelgat kan vallen. Niet bij mij, ik had het gevoel dat ze wel degelijk luistert naar advies van anderen. Ik vind haar niet koppig.’ 

Integendeel. ‘She’s lovely and real and so down the earth’, meent Cherkaoui. ‘Als er iets misgaat bij repetities, heeft ze echt wel zelfspot. Ze draagt geen masker en doet niet alsof, zoals veel andere mensen. Ze heeft een soort universele kracht die door haar aderen stroomt, net als (performancekunstenares, red.) Marina Abramovic, nog zo’n sterke vrouw met wie ik heb samengewerkt.’

Never meet your heroes, wil het gezegde, maar Cherkaoui heeft absoluut geen spijt van deze samenwerking met zijn heldin. ‘Voor mij is Madonna echt een baken van licht, nog meer sinds ik haar heb mogen ontmoeten. Ik ben erg geraakt door haar doorzettingsvermogen en haar blijvende zoektocht naar liefde en veiligheid, die er nooit is, omdat het leven dat aan bijna niemand echt geeft. Zelfs iemand als Madonna blijft het gevoel hebben dat ze niet goed genoeg is. Terwijl: wat zij al heel haar leven doet voor anderen, zeker in de hoogdagen van de aidscrisis, is ongelofelijk … Madonna is echt een heilige.’

‘Maar tegelijk is ze ook een mens van vlees en bloed’, vult Cherkaoui aan. ‘Mensen vergeten dat soms. Als ik haar stuur dat mijn mama in Antwerpen komt kijken, reageert ze met een hartje. Ze is heel attent.’

I'm not sure if this has been discussed - so apologies in advance if it has. Yet  does anyone know why M started wearing a different corset during the Ballroom segment from the original Gaultier one? Is this another Gaultier design? Also are M's costumes still produced in triplicate for her tours like they allegedly used to be? 

Edited by Ash (see edit history)

8 hours ago, stefo said:

I think it's interesting and beautifully executed, it's one of the many highlights of this show. I think it comes after The beast within, wich is about moral and mystical conscience, and shows the way, the forms of a different perception of being human, through the integration of all our elements and energies (wich is also represented with Sefirot and all the graphic symbols you noted). For what I remember, these movements are intended to help the energy flow, revealing the mechalicalness of the body and relaxing the tension. Actually both numbers are coreographed by the genius Damien Jalet (who also coreographed JML, other incredible number). The strange thing is that, if I'm not delirious, under a narrative perspective, after that Bedtime story would have had much more sense than Don't tell me :lol:

Yes, besides all you have mentioned about movement we must not forget that movement itself and dance have accompanied humans amd spiritual and/or religious practices and expressions since the beginning of time, from entering higher states of consciousness, meditation or even more day to day connection to the divine. 

I know the sequence of numbers seems weird because to go from this “mystical” experience to cowboy Americana seems weird…

Damien Jalet besides being a daddy is amazing his work with his company is amazing…

22 minutes ago, Ash said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed - so apologies in advance if it has. Yet  does anyone know why M started wearing a different corset during the Ballroom segment from the original Gaultier one? Is this another Gaultier design? Also are M's costumes still produced in triplicate for her tours like they allegedly used to be? 

Great question, I love the first one more, but I think the second one gives more the desired effect between the cone bra and the holes in the boob area in the precious coat she’s wearing before… which I guess makes a reference to the suit and cone bra used to open the BAT

@Ashi have no idea but that’s what I have thought 

Another intriguing (for me) is regarding the backdrop video for BS it’s so fascinating for me 

Why that world? 

What emotions or messages the video convey to the audience hardcore fans or casuals is it the same one?

What was her creative inspiration behind this video?

When I think if there were specific visuals that resonate with her I just found the Rain interlude in S&S tour that also was a big question for me then. Why that specific kind of animation

Why did she recreated some world similar to the video, she already did that in many sections in this tour 

2 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Another intriguing (for me) is regarding the backdrop video for BS it’s so fascinating for me 

Why that world? 

What emotions or messages the video convey to the audience hardcore fans or casuals is it the same one?

What was her creative inspiration behind this video?

When I think if there were specific visuals that resonate with her I just found the Rain interlude in S&S tour that also was a big question for me then. Why that specific kind of animation

Why did she recreated some world similar to the video, she already did that in many sections in this tour 

It's all part of the "Mother Of Creation" NFT thingy she did last year, right?

The original "Bedtime Story" video is all a surreal experience, this new performance is another one but into the future of now instead of the future of 1995 xd

Just now, Prayer said:

It's all part of the "Mother Of Creation" NFT thingy she did last year, right?

The original "Bedtime Story" video is all a surreal experience, this new performance is another one but into the future of now instead of the future of 1995 xd

That animation is from there then??? It seemed familiar but couldn’t remember exactly from where, makes a lot of sense since she gets herself in the same position of giving birth 

Just now, Pedro Beltran said:

We still have many angles to discover, it’s like a puzzle, from what I tend to remember you already went right? 

I did! I had already seen the full show on YouTube and enjoyed it live immensely... and I was glad I had watched it previously cause there is SO MUCH that I got to discover even more there live and enjoy it more. I would have been blown away and overwhelmed by it all otherwise.

I was doing my Barcelona multi-angle edit and still discovering new things here and there... it's endless!

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I did! I had already seen the full show on YouTube and enjoyed it live immensely... and I was glad I had watched it previously cause there is SO MUCH that I got to discover even more there live and enjoy it more. I would have been blown away and overwhelmed by it all otherwise.

I was doing my Barcelona multi-angle edit and still discovering new things here and there... it's endless!

Exactly what I thought, my shows are at the end, but I decided not to miss anything and share this excitement with everyone here 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic