What is your favorite Like a Prayer performance of all time

True Blue 84

46 minutes ago, MCL_1993 said:

I would say the Stockholm tribute for Paris during the RHT. I know she sounds terrible but the performance carries so much emotional weight to me. IDK why but it feels like 'One last time' by Ari performed during One Love Manchester….

And I love me such emotionally heavy performances.

I wouldnt say terrible, i would say emotional, still sounded decent after crying, and still crying a little during the singing also..

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

I honestly think there was something weird going on there, like she couldn't hear herself properly, or bad live autotune plus nerves, etc. Technically it was a mess.

Thats what i always told myself to, until i heard the rehearsal, and that was even worse.  I think she was not feeling well and it effected her vocals or so because she never sounded so bad singing Like a prayer 

6 hours ago, ScottyX said:

Blond Ambition no question.

Even with the problems she was having vocally on this tour, it is still my favorite

What problems? I know that at the end of the tour her vocals were not so good as at the beginning of the tour but i think she still sounded decent at the end. But Japan for example at the beginning i think she sounds good, love those loud, clear, raw vocals... 

3 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

What problems? I know that at the end of the tour her vocals were not so good as at the beginning of the tour but i think she still sounded decent at the end. But Japan for example at the beginning i think she sounds good, love those loud, clear, raw vocals... 

I had no issue with it. But her voice was taxed was my only point as people always jump on how she sounded on this tour.

6 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

I had no issue with it. But her voice was taxed was my only point as people always jump on how she sounded on this tour.

I agree but that was at the ending of the tour imo. I always read a lot of praise in the comments for blonde ambition.  You prefer the japan performance or paris? Both great, but it's mostly between those two online when people arguing about what the best like a prayer performance is...

I love  Felix - 'Don't you want me' but when I heard it in the S&S mash I thought it was a bit cheap tbh. Maybe because they do the other Give it to me/Cassius mash also and it sounded like a Myspace compilation or maybe because the visuals remind me of being in some superchurch in Texas. The whole S&S backdrops were appalling.

I'll give my vote to BA. That whole part of the concert is excellent. And I enjoyed the Live 8 and the Celebration too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at the performances posted here and looking the rest up on Youtube, I'd have to go with S&S. It checks all the boxes compared to the other performances when it comes to the mix, choreography, visuals, costumes, etc.

The other performances have some great elements but all seem like they're missing something in the performance to make it epic.

To me, nothing beats Blond Ambition for the sheer symbolism of the choreography and the energy of the performance. I loved the MDNA version with its organ before the finale. I wanted to love S + S, but frankly I’ve forgotten what it sounded like live as I’ve grown too accustomed to the studio dubbed version. The Stuart Price versions were pretty anemic in my opinion, which was in such contrast to everything else he did with her. Celebration is visually stunning. I can’t really comment on the music because it’s a studio remix we’ve all known for 35 years, but I do love the outro with Prince’s Act Of Contrition guitar. 

1 hour ago, dankpepe said:

Looking at the performances posted here and looking the rest up on Youtube, I'd have to go with S&S. It checks all the boxes compared to the other performances when it comes to the mix, choreography, visuals, costumes, etc.

The other performances have some great elements but all seem like they're missing something in the performance to make it epic.

The blond ambition performance isn't epic?

Sure Jan GIF

1 hour ago, True Blue 84 said:

The blond ambition performance isn't epic?

Viewing it in 2024, it looks very dated and kind of looks like a silly musical troupe. The parts where the dancers lift her up are cool but beyond that, there isn't much there other than maybe nostalgia