George Michael comments on the Britney and Christina kiss

Starchild

9 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Regarding the 'desperation' or shock value part: He made a whole music video based on being arrested in a toilet.

A fun thing to do, but he was cashing out on the tabloids and the shock of the public.

I always felt he was having a laugh at it all, rather "cashing out".  He could have went the route and just ignored what happened, but he didn't. Instead he showed he could laugh at himself and show some humility.  Certainly, doing what he did, stirred the pot more, but at least he owned it and then finally became more comfortable with himself in the public eye.  

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

I always felt he was having a laugh at it all, rather "cashing out".  He could have went the route and just ignored what happened, but he didn't. Instead he showed he could laugh at himself and show some humility.  Certainly, doing what he did, stirred the pot more, but at least he owned it and then finally became more comfortable with himself in the public eye.  

True but still is jumping on the wave of sensationalism. He could just ignore the whole thing but he didn't. I think it was great. Let's don't forget this man was selling a 'straight' image before and he was forced to come out. But that's what I mean if he can perceive M 'selling out ' with that performance he can admit he give himself to the spectacle as well.

20 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

True but still is jumping on the wave of sensationalism. He could just ignore the whole thing but he didn't. I think it was great. Let's don't forget this man was selling a 'straight' image before and he was forced to come out. But that's what I mean if he can perceive M 'selling out ' with that performance he can admit he give himself to the spectacle as well.

Totally! Though, I don't see either of them "selling out" in those instances. Like you mentioned, he played up to the "straight image" even though most people weren't too shocked when he was found in such a predicament.  He could have ignored it, but I'm sure his people and he were convinced they would get more out of it, if they played into the situation, rather ignore it.  Like you said, it was great he did that.  And, you're right he probably should have seen Madonna wasn't making a "desperate" move,  but rather reverting back to her usual Madonna persona prior to Evita and ROL.

16 hours ago, McDonna said:

Exactly. The Outside song and video were great. I think that moment was very freeing for him. And nobody should criticize him for being in the closet. Things were very different in the 80’s and 90’s.

19 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. The Outside song and video were great. I think that moment was very freeing for him. And nobody should criticize him for being in the closet. Things were very different in the 80’s and 90’s.

The wit with which he owned it and the art it spawned made it one of my favourite moments in pop culture history.

giphy.webp

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e2gvc79c878jbejml1

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

11 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

It’s one artist I would love to have heard a duet with. Their voices would have sounded amazing together. And George was a fan from the very beginning of her career too.

That would have been amazing. Fast love was such a feeling in my adolescence, it really represented something in terms of esthetics and mood.

I'm a huge fan of Sade, still today (waiting for the new stuff to be released ), I discovered them together, their music is more soul oriented, jazzy and much more intense imo, but George was able to make it sound the gayest and the funkiest possible, an incredible talent :broken:

On 11/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, Blue Skies said:

To your point about naming another performance from that show.  Admittedly I am a Christina fan but I thought she killed later on in the evening.   But its largely forgotten about

Are you also a Christina Aguilera fan? Finally! I thought I was the only one who admired this spectacular and wonderful artist. By the way, I have always wondered why so many antibodies and so much antipathy towards her not only from many people but also from other celebrities (Pink, Eminem, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Fred Durst, Elton Jhon, Shakira, George Michael, etc.)

Although it is true that controversy and scandal stood out in that historic presentation on MTV, we cannot say the same regarding the vocal performance. From Britney, well, nothing could be expected. As for Madonna, well, I'm her fan but her voice wasn't the best that night. And as for Missy Elliot, I prefer not to consider her a singer until there is a final verdict in the endless debate about whether rappers can be considered as such. Only Christina stood out in that regard. Her majestic voice gave a totally different atmosphere to Like a Virgin and even her dance steps were on the same level as Madonna's.

If only she could recover the lost transcendence everything would be perfect. For my part, I will continue to wait patiently for Christina Aguilera to once again reign on stages around the world. Because in a music market where everything seems the same and boring and no one stands out above anyone else, only Christina's return could put an end to this stagnation once and for all, just as she did back in 1999.

As someone who has always criticized the intentional use of scandal, vulgarity and controversy, I couldn't agree more with what George Michael said. I don't know what year that interview is from but his statements remain valid to this day, unfortunately for all of us who would like this dark stage of the entertainment industry to end once and for all and stop being so influential in our society stripping it of its values, especially when it affects children who tend to imitate everything their favorite artists do. That's why I understand George Michael's feeling of longing for past generations where artists sought to be agents of change. From the good path we went to the bad path without realizing it and there is no way to go back unfortunately.

All of this has become so common that it is no longer surprising. Some do it shamelessly (Miley Cyrus), others in a planned way disguised as unprepared (Janet Jackson), others cleverly using a valid argument that could justify their excesses and thus defend themselves from criticism (Sam Smith), etc. Encouraging drug use or criminal lifestyles in the lyrics of the songs now seem to be the standard that many young people must follow to achieve fame and success.

That is why we should not let our fanaticism distance us from objectivity and become irresponsible in praising this 2003 MTV presentation as if it were something incomparable and difficult to surpass by other artists, giving a positive tone to something that definitely is not.

That Britney and Christina would do it was something easy to predict in those times. But Madonna doing it, who since Evita, had apparently left the scandals and controversy behind, was seen as something "desperate" by many people. Maybe reverse the failure of American Life, maybe show that she was still the best at generating controversy, maybe show that she was still the queen of pop, maybe regain the sympathy of the people of her country because of her opinions against the war or all these reasons at the same time.

Anyway, only some, like George Michael, were able to see the background of that presentation while the rest of the world continued, and will continue, celebrating these kisses as if they represented the climax of a trend based on controversy that seems to want to stay forever.

47 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

I have always wondered why so many antibodies and so much antipathy towards her not only from many people but also from other celebrities (Pink, Eminem, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Fred Durst, Elton Jhon, Shakira, George Michael, etc.)

It's probably because she was known to be an obnoxious and nasty person during the beginning of her fame.

53 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Are you also a Christina Aguilera fan? Finally! I thought I was the only one who admired this spectacular and wonderful artist. By the way, I have always wondered why so many antibodies and so much antipathy towards her not only from many people but also from other celebrities (Pink, Eminem, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Fred Durst, Elton Jhon, Shakira, George Michael, etc.)

Although it is true that controversy and scandal stood out in that historic presentation on MTV, we cannot say the same regarding the vocal performance. From Britney, well, nothing could be expected. As for Madonna, well, I'm her fan but her voice wasn't the best that night. And as for Missy Elliot, I prefer not to consider her a singer until there is a final verdict in the endless debate about whether rappers can be considered as such. Only Christina stood out in that regard. Her majestic voice gave a totally different atmosphere to Like a Virgin and even her dance steps were on the same level as Madonna's.

If only she could recover the lost transcendence everything would be perfect. For my part, I will continue to wait patiently for Christina Aguilera to once again reign on stages around the world. Because in a music market where everything seems the same and boring and no one stands out above anyone else, only Christina's return could put an end to this stagnation once and for all, just as she did back in 1999.

Haha you left Kelly Osborne that list of people that shaded her.  

Yeah I like Christina.  I know her role in that performance was way overshadowed but it wasn’t my favorite look or performance of hers.  I think at the time she went a little too heavy with the self tanning bottle that night and tried to hard to play up her bar girl image at the time.  

Burlesque and the Bionic album have both held up very well over time.  I think she’s doing some shows in Vegas next year. 

The whole Britney kiss thing was a load of crap not shocking at all by 2003 or even interesting  - got to hand it to Madonna though she knew all the tabloids would write endlessly about it and be a great PR stunt from that point of view it got her loads of publicity after American Life took a dip in terms of success 

5 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

The whole Britney kiss thing was a load of crap not shocking at all by 2003 or even interesting  - got to hand it to Madonna though she knew all the tabloids would write endlessly about it and be a great PR stunt from that point of view it got her loads of publicity after American Life took a dip in terms of success 

I didn’t like it at the time but today think more fondly of that performance,

Regardless if she was going for publicity mission is still accomplished.  Over 20 years later it still brings out lively debates among as shown by this thread