Imagine ROL was ROL´S first single released?

I think ROL was meant to be the album first single and it would have been huge. Was Madonna who thought Frozen would be a better choice? Overall I prefer Frozen and for me it might be Madonna´s best song ever, ok, but imagine something lighter and poppiier and happier as the title track released as the first single, with that video? Do you think it would have been number one? The album would have been greater? O less iconic? It´s interesting. Also do you think why Madonna prefer frozen over it? Awesome songs both of them equally.

• Drownedboy changed the title to Imagine ROL was ROL´S first single released?

I see no evidence that ROL was meant to be the first single.  I'm sure she and her record company discussed potential ideas for the 1rst single, but I believe Frozen was the unanimous choice.  It was the right choice.  It was quite the contrast of what the public was use to and really set the tone of her direction on the album.

That said, I don't think the success of either song would have suffered if they were released in reverse.  Possibly ROL would have scored in the Billboard top three though.  But I believe both songs would have been top 5 either way. 

Hmmmmmmm.... I think if it was the first single the video would have had to be better. I like the ROL video but it's a bit basic for a lead single IMHO. Also, I think we're all very familiar with the song now, but I remember when ROL came out, it was very strange and I didn't know quite what to think of it. I knew it was the most upbeat on the album so I should bop to it, but it wasn't an instant "Fuck yeah" from me. Frozen on the other hand stopped me dead in my tracks when I saw the video and heard the music. I was transfixed, mesmerized... 

I’ve thought about that but the thing is I don’t think Frozen would have done as well as it did as a 2nd or 3rd single. Its best hope I think was as 1st single. If she came out swinging w/ROL then Frozen as 2nd would have been a bit of a momentum drop. She would’ve had to follow w/Skin or something.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

BAD FAN! you should know miss @Donna!!!

@4:35 mark!!!!

https://youtu.be/3Va-jCvJ6Ao?si=LIUhKlf389HXhb7Y

Thank you!  LOL to being a "bad fan".  I've seen that special so many times and forgot she said that.  Though to be fair, she never said it was going to be the first single. It was simply the song she was torn with making it the first.  Which makes sense being it's a title track and I agree is a very upbeat banger to kick the album off. But I'm glad Frozen started things off because I am not sure Frozen would have been appreciated as much as a single if it came next or even as a later single. I think Frozen was a perfect way to debut the album with a different direction, creating a mood. 

3 minutes ago, Donna said:

Thank you!  LOL to being a "bad fan".  I've seen that special so many times and forgot she said that.  Though to be fair, she never said it was going to be the first single. It was simply the song she was torn with making it the first.  Which makes sense being it's a title track and I agree is a very upbeat banger to kick the album off. But I'm glad Frozen started things off because I am not sure Frozen would have been appreciated as much as a single if it came next or even as a later single. I think Frozen was a perfect way to debut the album with a different direction, creating a mood. 

To be fair i don't think that was part of Mtvs Ultrasound. I think it was just a little bonus uploaded to Mtv a few years ago possibly for the 20th anniversary. The full Ultrasound special is on her Youtube tho

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

To be fair i don't think that was part of Mtvs Ultrasound. I think it was just a little bonus uploaded to Mtv a few years ago possibly for the 20th anniversary. The full Ultrasound special is on her Youtube tho

Oh that could be why I may not have seen that.  But then again, I do recall some familiarly to it when watching it.  I definitely recall seeing her eat those gummy bears on set in that setting.

4 minutes ago, Donna said:

Oh that could be why I may not have seen that.  But then again, I do recall some familiarly to it when watching it.  I definitely recall seeing her eat those gummy bears on set in that setting.

Well i mean its overall footage but that particular conversation i dont think was in the original special. That clip focused on the making of Frozen while Ultrasound was more about Ray of Light and that album's creation with studio footage and then little clips of the making of Frozen sprinkled throughout 

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well i mean its overall footage but that particular conversation i dont think was in the original special. That clip focused on the making of Frozen while Ultrasound was more about Ray of Light and that album's creation with studio footage and then little clips of the making of Frozen sprinkled throughout 

Oh I knew what you meant.  However, I do recall there were a couple specials on MTV/VH1 that were pulling from the same making of Frozen and the album, and both aired different things from what was being documented. I know Vh1 had a BEHIND THE MUSIC special at that time, that used similar footage from the making of the video and album when she was in the studio as well. 

I missed those days when MTV/Vh1 was willing to play her music and still reported heavily on her. 

Personally, I think Frozen was the best choice. It was a big risk - the intro is very long with those strings, but radio supported it. Nothing in the mainstream sounded like that. But it was such a lush production, almost like a Bond song in some ways it could've been produced by David Arnold as well. But it's masterfully done; a mature sound that blended genres and introduced us to a different side of Madonna. I mean, songs like Scheherazade by Peter Cetera and Desert Rose by Sting straddled that eastern vibe with pop sensibilities but Frozen brought ambience and classical strings to the table. It was perfect to start with and then raise the notch with the title track. 

35 minutes ago, Donna said:

Oh I knew what you meant.  However, I do recall there were a couple specials on MTV/VH1 that were pulling from the same making of Frozen and the album, and both aired different things from what was being documented. I know Vh1 had a BEHIND THE MUSIC special at that time, that used similar footage from the making of the video and album when she was in the studio as well. 

I missed those days when MTV/Vh1 was willing to play her music and still reported heavily on her. 

I wish we had the ORIGINAL 98 Behind the Music special. It was updated in 01 for GHV2/DWT with new interviews from Monte and Donna but IMO was very sloppy and no new interview from Madonna was done. That seems to be the one on youtube 

8 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

I think ROL was meant to be the album first single and it would have been huge. Was Madonna who thought Frozen would be a better choice? Overall I prefer Frozen and for me it might be Madonna´s best song ever, ok, but imagine something lighter and poppiier and happier as the title track released as the first single, with that video? Do you think it would have been number one? The album would have been greater? O less iconic? It´s interesting. Also do you think why Madonna prefer frozen over it? Awesome songs both of them equally.

ROL was never planned as the first single - it was always Frozen 

IMO Frozen was the perfect lead single. The moody video and atmospheric sound really signified that this was a new Madonna era, and represents the Earth-Mother persona she adopted for the album. I love Ray of Light as a song, it always gets me going. But I think having it as the second single after Frozen was the right choice. The juxtaposition of both songs encapsulate the varying tones and influences present on the album. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

BAD FAN! you should know miss @Donna!!!

@4:35 mark!!!!

https://youtu.be/3Va-jCvJ6Ao?si=LIUhKlf389HXhb7Y

4 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

ROL was never planned as the first single - it was always Frozen 

@GregVsMatt Thank you for your comment.  I still believe like you posted it never was planned as the first single, but it doesn't mean she and her record company didn't deliberate what should come first. 

i remember hearing frozen on the radio for the first time at work and i was blown away because i did not expected madonna to come back ( there was no internet or any news around her) . 

when i got home i requested the song and recored it on a tape player and played it all the time thill the singel was out. 

When i finally got the ray of light album lp and played it for the very first time on my record player ,  i was blown away but most because of the songs skin , sky fits heaven , nothing really matters , the power of goodbye ..! those where my instant highlights .

The rest of the album grown on me fast. 

Ray of light second singel was not big in my country nr 24 ( frozen nr 2) , so i think if it was the first singel it would not chart so high as frozen. 

everyone like frozen and  again with the power of goodbye. 

i wish skin or sky fits heaven what the second singel and  i do like no substitute for love a lot and the video but it was not maybe for the charts 

still on of her best albums ever