What do you want from a New Single (future expectations)

nikolagr

I'm gonna say dance.  She has to go the dance route.  Look how successful Confessions was after American Life, a rock-ish guitar album that didn't get any recognition.  It was experimental for her.  And aside from Die Another Day, nobody really cared about that album.  Madonna is Dance.  And that is what people expect from her.  Dance music will draw people to her.  It reminds them of what Madonna means.  She always represented dance/electronica well, so I hope for her sake, she'll dance it up.  And for the record, I still hate Rebel Heart album version. hahaha

I would love to see her go natural or brunette after this tour, embrace her age/look, and record the greatest rock album we didn't know we needed. 

I quote this, rock with interesting use of electronic effects and smart theatrical videos/performances.

Anyway the MAIN thing for her at this point is to give GREAT PROPER SONGS, I still think that a Rebel Heart or Wash All Over Me (Avicii's) single with an interesting cinematic story-based video would have been such a hit.

I'm not into superedgy trandy dance music for her anymore, sorry.

I find it really unfortunate that the Rebel Heart album only issued three singles. Joan of Arc and Inside Out should have been released. Devil Pray, Veni Vidi Vici or Wash All Over Me could have been great club promos remix singles. Is this her last album under Interscope/Live Nation? This could mean that her next album might be a greatest hits volume 3. If so, I'm kind of hoping some of the RH unreleased/demo tracks might surface as the new singles/extra songs, like Queen or God is Love.

For her next album and sound--it would be great if she worked with someone new for the entire album. I'd love if she would work with a woman songwriter & producer like Feist and create a more raw indie pop sound. I'd die if she'd work with someone like Sufjan Stevens or Jimmy Tamborello.

Is this her last album under Interscope/Live Nation?

as far as I remember, the Live Nation deal was for 3 studio albums, and we have gotten MDNA and Rebel Heart. there's one more album yet to be made.

For her next album and sound--it would be great if she worked with someone new for the entire album. I'd love if she would work with a woman songwriter & producer like Feist and create a more raw indie pop sound. I'd die if she'd work with someone like Sufjan Stevens or Jimmy Tamborello.

she should take the sound of "Body Shop" even further, or listen to Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit by Courtney Barnnet. what an album!

Do you remember the days when artists released more than 3 singles off an album? I mean there were 6 singles off Like A Prayer and 5 off Ray Of Light. Since HC, she's onky released 3 singles from each album i think, which is a shame as some great songs which deserved to be singles missed out.

totaly agree

exactly. artists are releasing albums almost every year. Madonna should take the time she needs and wants, but she has to consider wether its a posibility to start preparing new music.

Rihanna's Unapologetic was in 2012, then Anti came in 2016.

Beyoncé's fifth album was in 2013, nothing has happened until Formation in 2016. A single.

Kanye's Yeezus was in 2013, then he is releasing-unreleasing The Life of Pablo in 2016.

Not even mentioning Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Kylie Minogue and Mariah Carey who nobody cares about really. (I mean, people talk about them, but they don't sell and they haven't scored a proper hit in a veeeeeeeeery long time). At least Ghosttown made some kind of impact when it came out.

The most productive pop artist these past years is Sia, who released 1000 Forms of Fear in 2014 and This Is Acting in 2016. But she does not tour and make movies and stuff.

The whole album-making process has changed a lot and so have the singles releases. See how Rihanna released 3 singles last year and they're not even bonus tracks on Anti.

M has said may times that she misses the old way, so I wouldn't bet on her going all Beyoncé with her next releases. As long as she is able to keep up with the extensive touring, that make her very rich, she will release albums that promote the tours, not the other way round. She is more like the Rolling Stones.

My only wish is for her to go back to decent songwriting and release her own "Blackstar". But look, it took David Bowie more than 10 years to come up with such a work of art.

She needs to act in movies again to be really inspired. I believe acting in movies was really opening the doors of creations for her and also it was natural for her to embrace a new personna for every musical new era. Since she decided to stop acting, things changed in her musical career, several things started to lack, that's why i believe the two are connected for her, one can't do without the other.

Rihanna's Unapologetic was in 2012, then Anti came in 2016.

Beyoncé's fifth album was in 2013, nothing has happened until Formation in 2016. A single.

Kanye's Yeezus was in 2013, then he is releasing-unreleasing The Life of Pablo in 2016.

Not even mentioning Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Kylie Minogue and Mariah Carey who nobody cares about really. (I mean, people talk about them, but they don't sell and they haven't scored a proper hit in a veeeeeeeeery long time). At least Ghosttown made some kind of impact when it came out.

The most productive pop artist these past years is Sia, who released 1000 Forms of Fear in 2014 and This Is Acting in 2016. But she does not tour and make movies and stuff.

The whole album-making process has changed a lot and so have the singles releases. See how Rihanna released 3 singles last year and they're not even bonus tracks on Anti.

M has said may times that she misses the old way, so I wouldn't bet on her going all Beyoncé with her next releases. As long as she is able to keep up with the extensive touring, that make her very rich, she will release albums that promote the tours, not the other way round. She is more like the Rolling Stones.

My only wish is for her to go back to decent songwriting and release her own "Blackstar". But look, it took David Bowie more than 10 years to come up with such a work of art.

Miley hasn't scored a hit in a long time? Do you think Ghosttown is more impactful than her music?... it's not even the most impactful single from RH. :confused:

Anyways it's not about releasing music every year or couple of years, but about keeping the flow of music-making and not taking long breaks from that, especially if the artist is in a good place, and Madonna is finally back in a great place musically. 

I'm not asking for a surprise release, I'm asking to be surprised which is different. A whole year of teasing song titles, collaborator names, lyrics, and unfinished concepts brought about a lot of speculation that ended up in many ways being dissapointing for a lot of people. It's simply better when we don't have any preconception of an album before it's released. I also don't believe that leaks would've been as widespread had people not been holding on so obsessively to her every instagram word about the new music.

I agree, I would love more singles from RH before we get new stuff.  There is so many single choices on there that would still sound in front of everything in the charts. I would love more promo videos as well.  At least one more from RH, but I dont think it will happen.  I Love everything about the RH era except the leaks and only 3 singles

Anyways it's [...] about keeping the flow of music-making and not taking long breaks from that, especially if the artist is in a good place, and Madonna is finally back in a great place musically. 

Sometimes a true break from music making can generate a new style when coming back to the art, after dealing with other art, or just generally gathering new experiences.

Miley hasn't scored a hit in a long time? Do you think Ghosttown is more impactful than her music?... it's not even the most impactful single from RH. :confused:

Yes I do.Ghosttown was elected best song of 2015 by Rolling Stone readers. You're right, BIM may even be bigger, since it is M's most viewed video (correct me if I'm wrong). Youtube views: 167 million.As far as I know, Miley's album didn't come with any memorable song, BB Talk Youtube views: 15 million. The people and the press paid much more attention to her dildo outfits and naked shows. It's not real musical impact per se.

Anyways it's not about releasing music every year or couple of years, but about keeping the flow of music-making and not taking long breaks from that, especially if the artist is in a good place, and Madonna is finally back in a great place musically. I'm not asking for a surprise release, I'm asking to be surprised which is different. A whole year of teasing song titles, collaborator names, lyrics, and unfinished concepts brought about a lot of speculation that ended up in many ways being dissapointing for a lot of people. It's simply better when we don't have any preconception of an album before it's released. I also don't believe that leaks would've been as widespread had people not been holding on so obsessively to her every instagram word about the new music.

Maybe that's M's life lesson : speculation and preconception pave the path to disappointment. Be careful what you wish for.

Yes I do.Ghosttown was elected best song of 2015 by Rolling Stone readers. You're right, BIM may even be bigger, since it is M's most viewed video (correct me if I'm wrong). Youtube views: 167 million.As far as I know, Miley's album didn't come with any memorable song, BB Talk Youtube views: 15 million. The people and the press paid much more attention to her dildo outfits and naked shows. It's not real musical impact per se.

Yeah I'm not sure about that Rolling Stone poll.... I do love Ghosttown though

Miley's album was released for free so it was never gonna make a huge commercial impact, and its her most left-field experimental work to date. 

Wrecking Ball anyone? Or is 2013-2014 such a long time ago? lol