Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

1 hour ago, Bjonkers said:

I'm open to correction on this but from memory, I think they "re-assembled" the original 7" remix for the Immaculate Collection from the Extended Remix stems as the original master didn't exist or something. An alternate but almost identical version of this edit is what was used on the Celebration compilation and the recent digital single.

All the Immaculate Collection tracks were remixed from the stems as the whole album is remixed (except for the 2 new songs). 

But the master must have survived because the original 7" version of "Borderline" was on the Japan CD Single Box Set in 1996. Maybe it was a case of the record companies in the US losing their master, but the record company in Japan keeping theirs. I'm not exactly sure how that would work. 

8 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

All the Immaculate Collection tracks were remixed from the stems as the whole album is remixed (except for the 2 new songs). 

But the master must have survived because the original 7" version of "Borderline" was on the Japan CD Single Box Set in 1996. Maybe it was a case of the record companies in the US losing their master, but the record company in Japan keeping theirs. I'm not exactly sure how that would work. 

there was a fire at Universal in 2008 and lots of Masters weere lost for Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

1 minute ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

there was a fire at Universal in 2008 and lots of Masters weere lost for Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

Whoa - I was just thinking about that! Thank god Madonna's had never been part of Universal when that happened. 

28 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

Actually on "The Immaculate Collection" I think most of the songs were remixed from the stems of the already existing remixes, not their original album versions:

- Holiday and Into The Groove: remixed and edited from the "You Can Dance" remix.

- Lucky Star, Borderline, Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Papa Don't Preach: remixed from their respective original extended mixes.

"La Isla" was also from the remix, "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" a combination of different remixes... The only versions from the originals would be "Crazy For You", "Live To Tell" and "Cherish". "Vogue" also if we don't count the remix it took its extended intro.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Actually on "The Immaculate Collection" I think most of the songs were remixed from the stems of the already existing remixes, not their original album versions:

- Holiday and Into The Groove: remixed and edited from the "You Can Dance" remix.

- Lucky Star, Borderline, Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Papa Don't Preach: remixed from their respective original extended mixes.

"La Isla" was also from the remix, "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" a combination of different remixes... The only versions from the originals would be "Crazy For You", "Live To Tell" and "Cherish". "Vogue" also if we don't count the remix it took its extended intro.

Yes, certainly. But @Bjonkersoriginal comment above was referring to original masters, not original stems. 

"Open Your Heart" also doesn't have elements from the original remix though. At least, none that I can hear.

18 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

It’s up on streaming platforms? Where?

17 hours ago, Roy said:

I don't think the 7" edit of Borderline that we have now is the real one. It is basically the Celebration alternate Q-sound edit.

Sorry I thought you meant available on digital not on streaming specifically. 

2107656401_2023-07-317_46_39.thumb.png.1eb7f010946c1c3561cbd202b294f214.png

I compared the new remastered Lucky Star versions, I think it's clear that the 7" Edit it's a recreation using the full length mix and not a straight transfer of some master tape cause they start and sound exactly the same, that doesn't mean anything cause it's an edit of the full length mix anyway, of course we don't know if they recreated both using the stems (multitrack tapes) but it makes sense if they're gonna make an Atmos mix of the album, in any way the results are great!

1610640906_2023-07-317_48_34.thumb.png.a5478beb32e395fd1ceaa9f9137caea9.png

Also I put it side by side with Everybody latest remastered 7" Edit and the fade-out (I mean the waveform on it, the s-shape) is identical on how they fade. Same engineer definitely. ;p

2 hours ago, Harry X said:

2107656401_2023-07-317_46_39.thumb.png.1eb7f010946c1c3561cbd202b294f214.png

I compared the new remastered Lucky Star versions, I think it's clear that the 7" Edit it's a recreation using the full length mix and not a straight transfer of some master tape cause they start and sound exactly the same, that doesn't mean anything cause it's an edit of the full length mix anyway, of course we don't know if they recreated both using the stems (multitrack tapes) but it makes sense if they're gonna make an Atmos mix of the album, in any way the results are great!

1610640906_2023-07-317_48_34.thumb.png.a5478beb32e395fd1ceaa9f9137caea9.png

Also I put it side by side with Everybody latest remastered 7" Edit and the fade-out (I mean the waveform on it, the s-shape) is identical on how they fade. Same engineer definitely. ;p

We see this happen in the Celebration album before but I think @Aiwa08 explained it.

I am one of those who think the 7'' edit we have is a good reconstruction but not the transfer of the original master used to press the 7''. There was many arguments in favor of this but mainly the hiss that is not there when you turn up the volume during the fade out. And one of the edit point (the one that cuts abruptly towards the end) doesn't seem to be the exact same.

In the end it doesn't really matter, to me I'm just fascinated about the work there, do they find the master, do they take the time to recreate an edit...

3 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

I am one of those who think the 7'' edit we have is a good reconstruction but not the transfer of the original master used to press the 7''. There was many arguments in favor of this but mainly the hiss that is not there when you turn up the volume during the fade out. And one of the edit point (the one that cuts abruptly towards the end) doesn't seem to be the exact same.

In the end it doesn't really matter, to me I'm just fascinated about the work there, do they find the master, do they take the time to recreate an edit...

If it is at least we can take it as an indication of work being done towards a reissue of the album. Since she came back to Warner, they only cared for reconstructions with some "Finally Enough Love" edits and later the "American Life" RSD EP.

So I guess that means it will be part of a bigger project, not just the digital single?

18 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

Sincerely, I have compared the last edit point in both the vinyl and digital versions, and in my opinion, they are identical.

And we know that many times the fade-out of the master can be longer than the final 7’’ (for example, Holiday). It is possible that this is the real edit, but not the final cut for the 7’’ version.

Again, this is just my opinion and not a fact.

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Sincerely, I have compared the last edit point in both the vinyl and digital versions, and in my opinion, they are identical.

And we know that many times the fade-out of the master can be longer than the final 7’’ (for example, Holiday). It is possible that this is the real edit, but not the final cut for the 7’’ version.

Again, this is just my opinion and not a fact.

Considering that they have to edit the fade out to fit the limitations of the 7" vinyl, I do agree with you.

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Then why have we been asking for a digital version for years if the video already has the real 7’’ edit? It's an honest question.

I've been listening to the 7" version of "Lucky Star" ripped from the Celebration DVD for years. Same for the video version "Open Your Heart" until Finally Enough Love came out. I would have done the same for the single version of "Borderline", but the there is SO MUCH white noise/hiss during the intro of the video. 

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Anyway, I have 7’’ vinyls that are longer than 7 minutes, for example, Vogue (Bette Davis Dub). However, the longer the runtime, the worse the quality becomes.

Do you mean for just one song? 7 Minutes long?  I only ask because I always thought the purpose of a 7 inch version was to be shorter for radio airplay? 

21 minutes ago, tscott said:

Do you mean for just one song? 7 Minutes long?  I only ask because I always thought the purpose of a 7 inch version was to be shorter for radio airplay? 

No. The purpose of a 7-inch vinyl is to contain just one song per side. The running time doesn’t matter as long as the song is not longer than 5 or 6 minutes (for audio quality reasons). However, radio stations often prefer shorter versions so they can play more songs. But this has nothing to do with 7’’ vinyls.

madonna-vogue-single-version-1990-21.jpg

29 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

I have a question do you have a better quality version of the remix edit of borderline in the remixology

Also can you explain the differences in the 7" remix and 7" edit and why the remix edit on the remixology thread is called radio version?

Hmmm... I don't think I have a better quality version of the remix edit of Borderline aside from the It's That Girl Cassette rip I have.

If I am not mistaken, the 7" edit is an edit of the extended dance remix. We also know this as the video version. The 7" remix is the remix edit exclusive in some vinyl pressings and the "It's That Girl" cassette."

Anyone who is reading this, correct me if I'm wrong, okway? :D

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW