Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

On 2/16/2024 at 4:15 AM, MPowered said:

Playground was the only one for A League Of Their Own and it was pretty rushed from what I remember. It also appeared on an early tracklist draft of Erotica when it was still called "Girlie Show".

I think the song was never one of her favorites. She was clearly in a very different mood when she worked on it because she was already very immersed in the Erotica project at that time. TUTBMP felt like an assignment song to her.

I'll Remember was a gift to her friend Alex Keshishian. Probably also the only song written for the movie but it was initially a Pat Leonard reject that she adopted and rewrote for the movie. It was possibly the first song Madonna wrote with the intention of softening her image after Erotica. It didn't really fit her lifestyle or overall vibe at that time but it was a bit of a necessity and opportunity for her I believe. It definitely worked for her. It's one of her most successful and critically acclaimed songs in the US.

Controversially I think I like I'll Remember more than Playground. It just feels more like a Madonna song.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:02 PM, MPowered said:

I would have actually added Goodbye to Innocence as b-side to Bad Girl if I were in charge and thus keep Fever separate. In fact, this is how I would have handled the single rollout:

EROTICA

1. Erotica - Radio Edit (4:33)
  2. Erotica - Instrumental (5:19)
  3. Erotic (5:18)
  4. Erotica - William Orbit 12" (6:10)
  5. Erotica - William Orbit Dub (4:58)
  6. Erotica - Kenlou B-Boy Mix (6:27)
  7. Erotica - Kenlou B-Boy Instrumental (5:48)
  8. Erotica - Madonna's In My Jeep Mix (5:49)
  9. Erotica - Jeep Beats (5:53)
  10. Erotica - Underground Club Mix (4:58)
  11. Erotica - Masters at Work Dub (4:57)
  12. Erotica - Underground Tribal Beats (3:31)
  13. Erotica - House Instrumental (4:55)
  14. Erotica - Bass Hit Dub (4:49)
  15. Erotic - Edit (4:30)

DEEPER AND DEEPER

1. Deeper And Deeper - Edit (4:55)
  2. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deep Makeover Edit (5:12)
  3. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deep Makeover Mix (9:04) 
  4. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Classic 12" (7:28)
  5. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deeper Dub (6:13) 
  6. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Fierce Deeper Dub (6:02)
  7. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deep Bass Dub (5:01)
  8. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deep Beats (2:58)
  9. Deeper And Deeper - Shep's Deepstrumental (5:59)
  10. Deeper And Deeper - David's Radio Edit (4:00)
  11. Deeper And Deeper - David's Classic 12" (6:57) 
  12. Deeper And Deeper - David's Classic Instrumental (4:39) 
  13. Deeper And Deeper - David's Deeper Dub (5:18)
  14. Deeper And Deeper - David's Love Dub (5:39)
  15. Deeper And Deeper - David's Klub Mix (7:41)
  16. Deeper And Deeper - Momo's Fantasy (2:57)
  17. Deeper And Deeper - Instrumental (5:32)

BAD GIRL

1. Bad Girl - Edit (4:38)
  2. Bad Girl - Extended Mix (6:33)
  3. Bad Girl - Instrumental (5:22)
  4. Goodbye to Innocence (4:53)
  5. Goodbye to Innocence - "Up Down Suite" Dub (12:16)
  6. Goodbye to Innocence - Back To The Dub 1 (5:00)

FEVER

1. Fever - Album Edit (4:30)
  2. Fever - Radio Remix (5:03)
  3. Fever - Edit One (4:05)
  4. Fever - Edit Two (4:28)
  5. Fever - Extended 12" (6:11)
  6. Fever - 12" Instrumental (5:00)
  7. Fever - Oscar G's Dope Dub (4:55)
  8. Fever - Hot Sweat 12" (7:55)
  9. Fever - Shep's Remedy Dub (4:26)
  10. Fever - Peggy's Nightclub Mix (5:11)
  11. Fever - Bugged Out Bonzai Dub (4:52)
  12. Fever - Murk Boys Miami Mix (7:10)
  13. Fever - Murk Boys Deep South Mix (6:28)
  14. Fever - Back To The Dub 2 (4:55)
  15. Fever - T's Extended Dub A (3:05)
  16. Fever - T's Extended Dub B (5:14)

RAIN

1. Rain - Radio Remix (4:36)
  2. Rain - Album Edit (4:33)
  3. Rain - Remix Edit (4:20)
  4. Waiting (5:47)
  5. Waiting - Remix (4:40)

BYE BYE BABY

1. Bye Bye Baby (3:56)
  2. Bye Bye Baby - Single Remix [Previously Unreleased]
  3. Bye Bye Baby - California Hip-Hop Jazzy (3:49)
  4. Bye Bye Baby - N.Y. Hip-Hop Mix (3:50)
  5. Bye Bye Baby - House Mix (3:57)
  6. Bye Bye Baby - Madonna Gets Hardcore (4:23)
  7. Bye Bye Baby - Madonna's Night On The Club (5:20)
  8. Bye Bye Baby - Rick Does Madonna's Dub (6:34)
  9. Bye Bye Baby - Tallahassee Pop (3:50)

I'LL REMEMBER

1. I'll Remember (4:22)
  2. Secret Garden (5:32)
  3. I'll Remember - Orbit Remix (4:19)
  4. I'll Remember - Orbit Alternative Remix (4:32)
  5. I'll Remember - Guerilla Beach Mix (6:17)
  6. I'll Remember - Guerilla Groove Mix (6:04)
  7. Why's It So Hard - Live from the Girlie Show (5:13)

The ones that are not available from digital source are marked in red.

Does anyone have the Bye Bye baby  Single Remix one?

"Playground" is cute but incredibly somber and there's no wonder it was #1 only cause she was coming from her 1990 imperial phase (and probably some payola help from Warner). Of all her US #1s is the least memorable by far. It's "In This Life" twin sister but without the message even. It's quite... up there.

"I'll Remember", on the other hand, is such a classic Madonna song, perfect vocals, perfect melodies and another one of her trademark iconic 80s and 90s middle 8s. Warmth as f**k. And THAT video.

sddefault.jpg

Hope we're getting an HD remaster for that one if the digital single is coming.

They both did really well because they were soundtrack songs that were never gonna be on a Madonna album so fans who only really bought her albums were gonna have to buy it to own it. See also Into The Groove / Beautiful Stranger / American Pie / Die Another Day.

She really benefited from soundtrack songs in the first half of her career and they always did well because stand alone etc.

2 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Does anyone have the Bye Bye baby  Single Remix one?

It hasn’t leaked or ever been commercially released. It’s probably the version used for the VMA performance in 1993.

40 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"Playground" is cute but incredibly somber and there's no wonder it was #1 only cause she was coming from her 1990 imperial phase (and probably some payola help from Warner). Of all her US #1s is the least memorable by far. It's "In This Life" twin sister but without the message even. It's quite... up there.

"I'll Remember", on the other hand, is such a classic Madonna song, perfect vocals, perfect melodies and another one of her trademark iconic 80s and 90s middle 8s. Warmth as f**k. And THAT video.

sddefault.jpg

Hope we're getting an HD remaster for that one if the digital single is coming.

I agree. I‘m actually quite shocked Playground went to #1. It’s rather forgettable in my eyes. I dislike how anti-climactic the chorus ends. You kinda expect more to come at the end of the "and why do they always say…" line but instead it goes back to the vibe from before and kinda leaves you hanging in the air.

10 hours ago, BoyToyMark said:

Controversially I think I like I'll Remember more than Playground. It just feels more like a Madonna song.

I don’t think this is a controversial opinion. I'll Remember is more accessible and has a catchier melody. The song structure is also less complex. 

20 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

I hope that I'll Remember could have the UK cover this time but I know they will put the US cover which isn't bad but I like the UK one too 

Not necessarily. They might go with whatever is easier to find.

27 minutes ago, MPowered said:

It hasn’t leaked or ever been commercially released. It’s probably the version used for the VMA performance in 1993.

I agree. I‘m actually quite shocked Playground went to #1. It’s rather forgettable in my eyes. I dislike how anti-climactic the chorus ends. You kinda expect more to come at the end of the "and why do they always say…" line but instead it goes back to the vibe from before and kinda leaves you hanging in the air.

I don’t think this is a controversial opinion. I'll Remember is more accessible and has a catchier melody. The song structure is also less complex. 

Not necessarily. They might go with whatever is easier to find.

Hopefully and that about Playground is true but hope we get UK one to change the vibes a bit

43 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Hopefully and that about Playground is true but hope we get UK one to change the vibes a bit

I prefer the US one 👀 I don’t like the fact that they used an image that was already two years old for a single in 1994. She also didn’t look that way anymore. The US cover was more in line with what her style was at that time.

Personally, I think the best option would have been one of these images:

https://mega.nz/folder/qFgj1IxQ#cZavFyX4uUkXjYSG6CJV-w

These pictures are all stunning, perfectly capture the vibe of the song and were shot in early February. That means there would have been enough time to use these for the single.

15 minutes ago, MPowered said:

I prefer the US one 👀 I don’t like the fact that they used an image that was already two years old for a single in 1994. She also didn’t look that way anymore. The US cover was more in line with what her style was at that time.

Personally, I think the best option would have been one of these images:

https://mega.nz/folder/qFgj1IxQ#cZavFyX4uUkXjYSG6CJV-w

These pictures are all stunning, perfectly capture the vibe of the song and were shot in early February. That means there would have been enough time to use these for the single.

Good pictures but I thought of this pic too! 

IMG_20240216_230728-transformed.thumb.jpeg.41d72704e5752c41b401a24e977135a3.jpeg

4 hours ago, MPowered said:

I don’t think this is a controversial opinion.

If you were old enough to know that in that period Wilson Phillips were topping the US charts you would understand why Madonna went "Playground ". She surely was "inspired" at that time by that kind of ballads and moods topping the charts... some people even though Playground was a Wilson Phillips song when they first heard it on radio....

I just figured out that Up N Down by Britney and Up And Down Suite by Madonna are similar? When the prechorus "I know you want me.." hits on the Up N Down Britney Song the melody is similar to Up and  Down Suite and through the whole song it's kind of similar even though it samples another piece 

On 11/28/2022 at 6:03 AM, planetbenjamin said:

Brutal! I don't need to share my contacts with you. I don't make things up. I shared what an industry worker shared with me. Things are changed and cancelled all the time, like Fever, Love Don't etc etc. But I know my place on here. I'll keep it all to myself in future. You can look on Spotify and Apple to spot when things are released. No need for advance info. Enjoy the surprises. 

Do you know any upcoming releases? Thanks and we will Honor you (no pun intended)

44 minutes ago, Erotico said:

If you were old enough to know that in that period Wilson Phillips were topping the US charts you would understand why Madonna went "Playground ". She surely was "inspired" at that time by that kind of ballads and moods topping the charts... some people even though Playground was a Wilson Phillips song when they first heard it on radio....

Sorry, I don't buy any of this.  We all know Madonna wrote "Playground" based on her friends who were suffering or died from Aids.  I don't recall anyone thinking it was a "Wilson Phillips" song.  Also, I don't believe for a second this was a song that was rushed, yet she obviously knew her lyrics could relate to the film she was working on A League of Their Own and was able to craft a song around that.  The success of this song is due to that film.  She was coming off the most successful era of her career.  She had so much backing her at the moment to make sure "Playground" was a success including the film it was featured in.  It was a really huge film in the summer of 1992.  It was before Erotica was released and people welcome a softer and gentler version of Madonna at the time after previous controversies. 

The thing with Madonna she knows how to switch it up to benefit her.  She knew this ballad would have been a perfect transition from all the controversy of Justify My Love and BAT.  Not only that, it only allowed her to keep people distracted before she took a turn and really stirred shit with the Erotica/Sex Book era.

All this proselytizing over TUTBMP lol. I agree it was a success bc it was the theme to a hugely successful summer movie, and bc it was the type of adult contemporary ballad Americans lapped up for most of the 90s. It really wasn’t perplexing at all at the time.

Though a much stronger pop single, I’ll Remember’s success was actually a bit more surprising, simply bc it can’t be stressed enough how in the dumps her public image still was at the time here in the US.

The Sex book had started to slip from the public’s consciousness but then she pulled her Letterman stunt, was cavorting around w/Dennis Rodman, etc. A lot of people thought she was gross. It was annoying.

Really it was a hit in spite of the fact that it was by her (like Take a Bow to a lesser extent).

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW