MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

24 minutes ago, tscott said:

Oh I am not.  I also know some are genuinely frustrated because several key albums anniversaries have come and gone... Erotica and Ray of Light, with very little celebration or fanfare. 

I guess for me, I always expected if anything, the first of the expanded re-issues would be for the debut album, since the Warner deal is wrapped around the whole 40th Anniversary.   That's why we got FEL which is very much part of the deal under the special curated releases and it is very celebratory of her 40 years.  It was a pretty significant release that was released on all formats and an additional colored Vinyl release.  :)

I love FEL, actually. I am glad it was released, I genuinely think it is a great compilation and I even bought rainbow editon since it looks absolutely amazing. 

But I just need my first reissue, because there is simply no better time to either release that (they already missed that), or announce that or start pre-orders on the day of her 40th anniversary. I don't see any point to do that on any other date unless they want to wait until her 50th anniversary, but then there was no point to make any official statement in August 2020 :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, HC Charge said:

I love FEL, actually. I am glad it was released, I genuinely think it is a great compilation and I even bought rainbow editon since it looks absolutely amazing. 

But I just need my first reissue, because there is simply no better time to either release that (they already missed that), or announce that or start pre-orders on the day of her 40th anniversary. I don't see any point to do that on any other date unless they want to wait until her 50th anniversary, but then there was no point to make any official statement in August 2020 :)

First off, thanks for the civility here.  :luv: I know we all can get a bit passionate about this deal, but I'm happy to know there are some who are willing to discuss this rationally and not take it too personal. I love these sort of discussions and I really enjoy hearing everyone's perspective.  It's obvious to me that Madonna, her team and Warner haven't always given what the fans really been asking for, for years now and it's created a lot of disappointment. :sad:

In regards "no point to make any official statement in August 2020", I would have to respectively disagree because Warner was behind the release of the MXTour that came that October.  So of course, something had to been said, or fans would have been confused why Warner all of sudden behind a tour that supported an album through Interscope. Therefore, it made total sense to make an announcement and what it exactly entails.

But yeah, we're going around in circles here and I'm confident you understand the deal, but like most of us, are eager to start getting those expanded re-issues.  Being the deal was made specifically to celebrate her 40th Anniversary, it does make total sense to me to start with the debut album as the first expanded re-issue.  If this anniversary passes by with nothing, then I'd say we all have every right to feel disappointed.  Come Friday and nothing comes, I'll be joining those who have lost any faith in anything is happening regarding the re-issues.

The plus (as I see it), if they actually took the nearly two years since they announced this deal to curate an expansive edition of one or two landmark albums, then I'd say it's a good sign that they may have done something worthy.   But if they just re-issue what we already have, then once again, I can. understand why people will be disappointed.  I'm not really expecting demos (at least that I haven't heard before), but it would be nice if they did include and officially release some of what had been leaked as well as maybe some unheard remixes.  At least, that's my hope.  If Thursday-Friday comes with nothing significant, you won't see me in a melt-down mode, but I definitely will no longer be defending this Warner deal, because if there was any opportunity to re-issue an expanded album, it would be now!  :)

16 minutes ago, tscott said:

In regarding "no point to make any official statement in August 2020", I would have to respectively disagree because Warner was behind the release of the MXTour that came that October.  So of course, something had to been said, or fans would have been confused why Warner all of sudden behind a tour that supported an album through Interscope. Therefore, it made total sense to make an announcement and what it exactly entails.

But yeah, we're going around in circles here and I'm confident you understand the deal, but like most of us, are eager to start getting those expanded re-issues.  Being the deal was made specifically to celebrate her 40th Anniversary, it does make total sense to me to start with the debut album as the first expanded re-issue.  If this anniversary passes by with nothing, then I'd say we all have every right to feel disappointed.  Come Friday and nothing comes, I'll be joining those who have lost any faith in anything is happening regarding the re-issues.

The plus (as I see it), if they actually took the nearly two years since they announced this deal to curate an expansive edition of one or two landmark albums, then I'd say it's a good sign that may have done something worthy.   But if they just re-issue what we already have, then once again, I can. understand why people will be disappointed.  I'm not really expecting demos (at least that I haven't heard before), but it would be nice if they did include and officially release some of what had been leaked as well as maybe some unheard remixes.  At least, that's my hope.  If Thursday-Friday comes with nothing significant, you won't see me in a melt-down mode, but I definitely will no longer be defending this Warner deal, because if there was any opportunity to re-issue an expanded album, it would be now!  :)

P.S. thanks for the civility here. I know we all can get a bit passionate about this deal, but I'm happy to know there are some who are willing to discuss this rationally and not take it too personal. I love these sort of discussions and I really enjoy hearing everyone's perspective. :luv:  It's obvious to me that Madonna, her team and Warner haven't always given what the fans really been asking for, for years now and it's created a lot of disappointment. :sad:

Regarding August 2020, I don't really think they needed to make exactly that announcement. I completely agree that something had to been said, otherwise fans would have been confused with all this Warner deal. But I just think they didn't need to include anything regarding reissue of her landmark albums in that statement back then. It just confused fans even more and created false expectations lasting till today, basically. They might have just announced she is back with Warner for any future releases, celebrate it a bit and then rather wait for a year and provide us with another announcement when FEL has been released that reissues are gonna happen. Doing it this way, they would actually have kept fans more teased, rather than announcing something so vaguely in August 2020 and basically provide us with no specific info practically to this day. But that's just my point of view and why I am so disappointed with all this Warner deal and how it is being managed for now :)

We are all 'just' humans, we beg to differ, so absolutely no hard feeling. I am glad we are discussing it here in an absolutely cultivated manner. It is always beneficial to exchange opinions, I am not saying that I am right or you are wrong, we both understand the situation with Warner differently. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

Regarding the first reissue. Honestly, I don't even have any expectations for demos or unreleased stuff. I simply would be fine with some special nice looking boxset and colored vinyl. I would buy it instantly. I just want it to happen, I want proper celebration of her amazing 40th anniversary. She deserves that, because what other singer is still massively active after all these years in business and giving fans a new stuff, new music, new tours, curating reissues. There is no other. 

I know the fans will go probably crazy if they don't get demos or something 'more' , but it doesn't really matter, because there will be always some disappointed ones making complaints. We all have different expectations. No matter what the first reissue looks like. 

I will be just hugely disappointed if nothing significant happens on July 27th. Then it truly means this Warner deal is total mess and they missed every opportunity lying in front of them. 

But let's see. We only have 2 days :) but still, I am glad to discuss it with you even further during that time. You are really able to explain your point of view, even if it might be completely different from mine. But that's why we are on this forum, to discuss, it would be boring if everyone would just agree with each other. :)

4 minutes ago, HC Charge said:

Regarding August 2020, I don't really think they needed to make exactly that announcement. I completely agree that something had to been said, otherwise fans would have been confused with all this Warner deal. But I just think they didn't need to include anything regarding reissue of her landmark albums in that statement back then. It just confused fans even more and created false expectations lasting till today, basically. They might have just announced she is back with Warner for any future releases, celebrate it a bit and then rather wait for a year and provide us with another announcement when FEL has been released that reissues are gonna happen. Doing it this way, they would actually have kept fans more teased, rather than announcing something so vaguely in August 2020 and basically provide us with no specific info practically to this day. But that's just my point of view and why I am so disappointed with all this Warner deal and how it is being managed for now :)

We are all 'just' humans, we beg to differ, so absolutely no hard feeling. I am glad we are discussing it here in an absolutely cultivated manner. It is always beneficial to exchange opinions, I am not saying that I am right or you are wrong, we both understand the situation with Warner differently. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

Regarding the first reissue. Honestly, I don't even have any expectations for demos or unreleased stuff. I simply would be fine with some special nice looking boxset and colored vinyl. I would buy it instantly. I just want it to happen, I want proper celebration of her amazing 40th anniversary. She deserves that, because what other singer is still massively active after all these years in business and giving fans a new stuff, new music, new tours, curating reissues. There is no other. 

I know the fans will go probably crazy if they don't get demos or something 'more' , but it doesn't really matter, because there will be always some disappointed ones making complaints. We all have different expectations. No matter what the first reissue looks like. 

I will be just hugely disappointed if nothing significant happens on July 27th. Then it truly means this Warner deal is total mess and they missed every opportunity lying in front of them. 

But let's see. We only have 2 days :) but still, I am glad to discuss it with you even further during that time. You are really able to explain your point of view, even if it might be completely different from mine. But that's why we are on this forum, to discuss, it would be boring if everyone would just agree with each other. :)

Thank you.  Like mentioned, we are all passionate about this.  For me, it's not a contest of who is wrong or who is right.  I think it's pretty clear between the both of us, we are speaking our opinions and not presenting them as facts. 

I totally feel everything you said here though. :heart: The only part I would disagree with is that the matter of mentioning the full deal they made. I'm not bothered they mentioned what it all entailed when they did, and I guess at the end of the day, everyone is going to interpret it the way they want, not matter what.  Just like people are going be upset no matter what.

I expect meltdowns and disappointments.  Not to say, some of it won't be warranted come this Friday because I think we all can agree that if they don't take the opportunity to at least announce a pre-order for an expansive edition of one of her landmark albums, (specifically her debut), then I'd start definitely be questioning what is really going on here?  Like most have stated, it's been almost two years.  And it's pretty evident most fans were most excited about the expansive re-issues the most regarding this deal. 

Like you I really enjoyed the FEL and thought that was a great way to start off the special curated releases. And I'm no expert, but someone who is more informative can chime in to share if any of the digital releases of her back catalog, the youtube upgrades and special vinyl releases are related to this Warner deal.  I know Rhino is behind some of this, but Warner is there parent company, and Rhino tends to deal with re-issues a lot as well.  Maybe @Prayercan help with this, if he chooses to so so?  He's usually a good source to rely on when it comes to being informative about some of these things.  :)

16 minutes ago, tscott said:

Like you I really enjoyed the FEL and thought that was a great way to start off the special curated releases. And I'm no expert, but someone who is more informative can chime in to share if any of the digital releases of her back catalog, the youtube upgrades and special vinyl releases are related to this Warner deal.  I know Rhino is behind some of this, but Warner is there parent company, and Rhino tends to deal with re-issues a lot as well.  Maybe @Prayercan help with this, if he chooses to so so?  He's usually a good source to rely on when it comes to being informative about some of these things.  :)

Of course it is!  The campaign actually started in 2019 with the "Like A Prayer 30th Anniversary" release only on streaming release, released through Warner when she wasn't back with them yet (in fact she was promoting "Madame X", distributed by Interscope back then). Guess the streaming-only option (and not so thought tracklist, to be honest) was a way to just test the waters and see if it was all worth it. Remember at some point there was a physical edition coming in Fall 2019 that was listed on some stores but deleted and not released in the end. The 30th "LAP" anniversary was also mentioned and have a couple of special pages on the "Madame X" tour book, so I guess that's a good indication that there were proper plans for it...

Surely lots of talking went behind the scenes. Starting with "Human Nature" in June 2020 we began having the maxis and later remastered HD videos too uploaded. The maxis are released via Rhino/Warner, so of course they're part of the deal - the deal, back to Warner, that was officially announced in August 2021.

Since then we've had more digital maxis, remastered videos, then "FEL" (which is still selling and charting) and of course the special vinyl releases. Her streaming presence has literally skyrocketed, thanks also to viral moments like "Frozen" Sickick, "Back That Up To The Beat" (not Warner) and now "Popular" (not Warner either, but maybe a good deal in exchange of letting The Weeknd use "Like A Prayer" on his series).

Again, I know we all try to find all the answers on that press release but... a press release is just that, a way to create hype and/or announce something, not a contract or a sacred document. Artists have press releases all the time announcing all kinds of stuff. And sometimes it turns out exactly as it was announced and others plans change along the way.

Let's hope for some good news this Thursday.

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Of course it is!  The campaign actually started in 2019 with the "Like A Prayer 30th Anniversary" release only on streaming release, released through Warner when she wasn't back with them yet (in fact she was promoting "Madame X", distributed by Interscope back then). Guess the streaming-only option (and not so thought tracklist, to be honest) was a way to just test the waters and see if it was all worth it. Remember at some point there was a physical edition coming in Fall 2019 that was listed on some stores but deleted and not released in the end.

Surely lots of talking went behind the scenes. Starting with "Human Nature" in June 2020 we began having the maxis and later remastered HD videos too uploaded. The maxis are released via Rhino/Warner, so of course they're part of the deal - the deal, back to Warner, that was officially announced in August 2021.

Since then we've had more digital maxis, remastered videos, then "FEL" (which is still selling and charting) and of course the special vinyl releases. Her streaming presence has literally skyrocketed, thanks also to viral moments like "Frozen" Sickick, "Back That Up To The Beat" (not Warner) and now "Popular" (not Warner either, but maybe a good deal in exchange of letting The Weeknd use "Like A Prayer" on his series).

Again, I know we all try to find all the answers on that press release but... a press release is just that, a way to create hype and/or announce something, not a contract or a sacred document. Artists have press releases all the time announcing all kinds of stuff. And sometimes it turns out exactly as it was announced and others plans change along the way.

Let's hope for some good news this Thursday.

Thank you for your input.  I recall you and few others mentioning that it started back in 2019 as well.  I recall there was mentioned that it started with the digital uploads/streaming and upgrades. 

Like you, I'm hoping for something good is heading our way in the next couple of days. :luv:

2 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

This is the first time I'm not that sad if it doesn't release the next month or year

A single reissue is easy,a reissue of a album needs it's time too,let's not force a unexpected release and get a M40V2 kinda release

I usually can detect sarcasm pretty easily, but here I am just not sure, sorry :)

"a reissue of a album needs it's time" like 2 years is really not enough time to reissue ONE album at least? :Madonna002:

8 minutes ago, HC Charge said:

I usually can detect sarcasm pretty easily, but here I am just not sure, sorry :)

"a reissue of a album needs it's time" like 2 years is really not enough time to reissue ONE album at least? :Madonna002:

But the thing is "Finally Enough Love" was the first project...

I think the success of the original "FEL" 6LP box set took them by surprise. It was just a web store exclusive of 6.000 copies worldwide and was quickly a sold out. That's why it's been made widely available now, a year later... and still selling. In order to maximize profit for any project, timing is essential but vinyl pressing slots are limited these days, as we know.

If we have "Madonna 40" announced for later this year that would make a big project a year, which seems logical in terms of work behind the scenes, vinyl pressing times and leaving space to keep milking the fans and casual buyers wallets.

(Cut to having nothing announced this Thursday :Madonna009:)

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I think the success of the original "FEL" 6LP box set took them by surprise. It was just a web store exclusive of 6.000 copies worldwide and was quickly a sold out. That's why it's widely available now, a year later... and still selling. In order to maximize profit for any project, timing is essential but vinyl pressing slots are limited these days, as we know.

If we have "Madonna 40" announced for later this year that would make a big project a year, which seems logical in terms of work behind the scenes, vinyl pressing times and milking the fans and casual buyers wallets.

The point is they announced landmark reissues almost exactly 2 years ago, so I would expect they had some plan in place at that time already, or a general idea at least, and they didn't start working on reissues only after FEL success caught them by surprise. 

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I think the success of the original "FEL" 6LP box set took them by surprise. It was just a web store exclusive of 6.000 copies worldwide and was quickly a sold out. That's why it's been made widely available now, a year later... and still selling. In order to maximize profit for any project, timing is essential but vinyl pressing slots are limited these days, as we know.

If we have "Madonna 40" announced for later this year that would make a big project a year, which seems logical in terms of work behind the scenes, vinyl pressing times and milking the fans and casual buyers wallets.

Though, that was only the VInyls that were sold out.  All other formats are still available.  This is why I don't understand why some think nothing has taken place since this deal became public, because if anything FEL did happen and that hardly wasn't something they quickly slapped together.  And as you pointed out prior, this deal actually started unfolding (just not made public) back in 2019 with all it's digital/streaming releases and other Vinyl releases since then. So all formats have been quite active in the last several years.

My thought is they had ideas in place regarding the expanded re-issues, but nothing probably was started yet.

8 minutes ago, HC Charge said:

The point is they announced landmark reissues almost exactly 2 years ago, so I would expect they had some plan in place at that time already, or a general idea at least, and they didn't start working on reissues only after FEL success caught them by surprise. 

I'm thinking they probably started a lot of digital and streaming changes as @Prayerpointed out and then when this deal was announced, they had other ideas swimming around such as expanded re-issues that probably wasn't started yet.  So when MXT was to be released under them that same year they announced, they figured what better time to unveil their plans. 

Also, a properly re-mastered, re-issued re-release should take some time, especially if the intent is to get those originally involved with the conception of the album to contribute in some manner. 

Regarding FEL, it did decently, especially the 6 disc set (which is aimed at collectors anyway), and I know it’s been doing consistently alright in the UK, but here in the US it did its first week numbers and I think that was mostly it. I don’t think the 2lps that they shipped out to stores sold very well w/casual music buyers. Target had a bunch that got shipped back to warehouses and made online only. If my observation is true, hopefully that didn’t make them question the market for future releases. I’ve never seen sales figures for the standard vinyl reissues of her catalogue albums.

19 minutes ago, tscott said:

Though, that was only the VInyls that were sold out.  All other formats are still available.  This is why I don't understand why some think nothing has taken place since this deal became public, because if anything FEL did happen and that hardly wasn't something they quickly slapped together.  And as you pointed out prior, this deal actually started unfolding (just not made public) back in 2019 with all it's digital/streaming releases and other Vinyl releases since then. So all formats have been quite active in the last several years.

My thought is they had ideas in place regarding the expanded re-issues, but nothing probably was started yet.

Only the 6LP vinyl box set was limited edition, right? :cute: (I know some of the Red, Silver etc. variants were limited too but I never see those anymore either, except for second hand?).

I remember being very surprised too when the 180$ box set was a sold out in a couple of days. 6.000 copies. That's a lot of money and I'm sure they were mad they couldn't have more copies ready in time, hence the new repressing released last month.

That's where the big money is, anyway. The casual buyer will get the standard CD or the 3CD edition, maybe the 2LP, but not the collector's box set. And these kind of releases are aimed to collectors, anyway.

i have a feeling we would have got a big project released last week to coincide with the tour opening and the anniversary.  if it was released a week ago the charts would be hitting the charts approx this week.  all over the media with her tour and chart comebacks (the media loves using that word).  Not sure what that would have been.  Maybe a new hits collection with the max martin song tacked on with a few others or a anniversary collection of the first album???? But we wouldnt have got both.  my feeling is the first one.  So i reckon any plans have been put on hold till oct.  Could be wrong

21 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Maybe we’re getting a M40 greatest HITS collection?!!! 🫨 10 hits from each decade. 🎶🤯🔥

I feel that FEL took on that idea.  I'm guessing Warner wanted to do another hits compilation record, but either they or Madonna or both wanted to put a spin on it, rather release another typical GH's record.

1 minute ago, blondebenji said:

i have a feeling we would have got a big project released last week to coincide with the tour opening and the anniversary.  if it was released a week ago the charts would be hitting approx this week.  all over the media with her tour and chart comebacks (the media loves using that word).  Not sure what that would have been.  Maybe a new hits collection with the max martin song tacked on with a few others or a anniversary collection of the first album???? But we wouldnt have got both.  my feeling is the first one.  So i reckon any plans have been put on hold till oct.  Could be wrong

That seems like a likely and interesting idea, but I also could see how it's possible they would just wait for the actual anniversary.  After all, they probably planned to have updated the store with a lot of new merchandise by the start of the tour.  So waiting until the end of the month, could prove to give more attention to the re-issue of M40.

Of course, we all are just speculating, but it's fun.  :)