MADONNA & STUART PRICE DISCUSS HUNG UP ~ OUT NOW

Shoful

I love that in order to promote FEL we have interviews with all the different producers and remixers:

- Stuart Price on Song Exploder 

- Nile Rodgers on Paper magazine

- Shep Pettibone, William Orbit on Billboard

Do we have more?

I wish she always talked about music!

And now I soooo want the Hello Suckers demos!!!!!

3 hours ago, Jackie said:

She said she did and also went and saw them - so both.

During interviews at the time of the song's release, she'd say that she sent her assistant to personally deliver the letter.

She never mentioned that she herself met with Abba too, so I think she was just a little vague about that in this episode.

Loved this episode. It was short but oh-so sweet.

My fave part was hearing them talk about playing the Hung Up instrumental during a DJ gig in Australia.

I've mentioned this before but I was there the night he played it and I distinctly remember him holding up his phone.

By the way, for anyone that may have missed it, I recommend this Stuart Price playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2yvp8pUPRKYEk4RDXxdRZQ?si=14555782abec44b6

11 minutes ago, Vasili said:

During interviews at the time of the song's release, she'd say that she sent her assistant to personally deliver the letter.

She never mentioned that she herself met with Abba too, so I think she was just a little vague about that in this episode.

Also here:

https://www.musicweek.com/interviews/read/hitmakers-stuart-price-on-the-songwriting-secrets-behind-madonna-s-hung-up/085799

That said, there was no Plan B if ABBA didn’t clear the sample [laughs]. We knew ABBA were reluctant to allow sampling of their work, so Madonna’s manager flew to Stockholm to meet with Benny and Björn at their Polar Studios. She gave them a handwritten letter from Madonna in which she expressed her admiration for their work, and the hope that we could collaborate. What resonated with them, I think, was that we had taken cues from them, but we had tried to move it forward, and they approved the sample that day.  

It's true back in 2005 Madonna's managers were Guy Oseary AND Angela Becker, so maybe she sent Angela to Stockholm.

But until now that was the official story. Not it's that she herself went there. :smile:

18 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Also here:

https://www.musicweek.com/interviews/read/hitmakers-stuart-price-on-the-songwriting-secrets-behind-madonna-s-hung-up/085799

That said, there was no Plan B if ABBA didn’t clear the sample [laughs]. We knew ABBA were reluctant to allow sampling of their work, so Madonna’s manager flew to Stockholm to meet with Benny and Björn at their Polar Studios. She gave them a handwritten letter from Madonna in which she expressed her admiration for their work, and the hope that we could collaborate. What resonated with them, I think, was that we had taken cues from them, but we had tried to move it forward, and they approved the sample that day.  

It's true back then Madonna's manager were Guy Oseary AND Angela Becker, so maybe she sent Angela to Stockholm.

But until now that was the official story. Not it's that she herself went there. :smile:

No way she would fly to Sweden herself (with her letter) and risk getting rejected in person.

She wrote a heartfelt letter and had her co-manager/assistant personally deliver it.

And this, straight from the horse's mouth...

12 hours ago, Markdonna said:

Fun look back. I loved this era and personally believe it produced the greatest Madonna tour I have ever seen.  Confessions was simply EPIC.  And I’ve seen — and very much enjoyed every tour since I finally saw her sing live via Drowned World.

Not only did I adore Confessions  as an album — but she brought out some oldies I’d long given up on ever seeing her sing LIVE…  Lucky Star, Like a Virgin… but the real stand out shocker was… Erotica/You Thrill Me.  Not to mention her up on a mirrored cross while belting out Live To Tell.  Confessions was the tour or tours I think looking back. Yeah…  It truly was just simply flawless.

Stuart Price had plenty to do with that. 

Funny, I never thought they had a huge falling out.  They certainly sound very friendly here.  And the tale of Hung Up is definitely one worthy of being told.  They clearly enjoy telling it, too. So much collaboration.   Be fun to see them reunite somehow.   His live arrangements were fantastic.

The Confessions Tour often gets forgotten compared to most of the others, don't you think?

It really was incredible in so many ways. Thank you for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Vasili said:

Oh right! Gotcha - interesting!

1 hour ago, Vasili said:

No way she would fly to Sweden herself (with her letter) and risk getting rejected in person.

She wrote a heartfelt letter and had her co-manager/assistant personally deliver it.

And this, straight from the horse's mouth...

Is it possible that he is referring to two different meetings/steps?

1) The assistant delivers the "nice little letter" (Angela?)

2) "So she came over" (Madonna?) to play the record

After all, he says it was "herself", not through lawyers.

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

Madonna went many times to Stockholm while they were making Confessions to work on the documentary with Jonas, so she probably met Abba during one of her trips.

2 hours ago, Enrico said:

I think wires may be getting crossed about this.

I found this quote which clarifies that her representative personally delivered the song (CD? iPod?) with the letter:

"...I think they may have had doubts about letting us sample their record. I had to send my emissary to Stockholm with a letter and the record begging them and imploring them and telling them how much I worship their music; telling them it was an homage to them, which is all true..."

Taken from https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/relive-madonnas-in-depth-2005-attitude-interview/5327/

6 hours ago, Enrico said:

And now I soooo want the Hello Suckers demos!!!!!

I have to correct my own post because actually I mixed two different projects:

That song [Hung up] made up my mind in which musical direction to go in. Until then I had done an entire soundtrack to a musical called Hello Suckers, and that didn't pan out because I decided I didn't want to do it. Then I decided to write a musical with Luc Besson, with him doing the screenplay. So I started a whole new chunk of songs, and then I read the script and I hated it, and I thought, 'That's crap, let's scrap that'. And then I was exhausted. We finished the tour, and my record company was like, 'You owe us an album', and I was, 'I don't have any more ideas, I'm tapped out'. So I came over here to work experimentally, and because that song turned out so great, I said, 'OK, that's it, I'm making all dance music'.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/nov/20/popandrock.madonna1

What I don't understand is with whom she wrote the Luc Besson songs.

She wrote the Hello Suckers songs with Pat Leonard and Mirwais. According to Wikipedia, "Miss You", "If You Go Away", "How High", "Curtain", "The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Is this Love (Bon D'Accord)" – come all from Hello Suckers, a 1920s-style musical loosely based on the life of Texas Guinan. Strangely, they don't list BOUM, while Miss you could belong to the AL recording sessions. But we don't have any titles for the Luc Besson musical...

I think the entire HS soundtrack should be released! With American Life reissue maybe? It evolves around ReInvention. Apart from Hung up, it looks less connected with COADF, but I might be wrong.

God, she was sooo creative in 2003/2005!!

EDIT:

Marc Andrews in his 2022 book "Madonna song by song" says that Sorry comes from the Besson movie (about a woman in her deathbed looking back at her life) because it fits the description of the soundtrack given by M as "Abba on drugs".

47 minutes ago, Vasili said:

I think wires may be getting crossed about this.

I found this quote which clarifies that her representative personally delivered the song (CD? iPod?) with the letter:

"...I think they may have had doubts about letting us sample their record. I had to send my emissary to Stockholm with a letter and the record begging them and imploring them and telling them how much I worship their music; telling them it was an homage to them, which is all true..."

Taken from https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/relive-madonnas-in-depth-2005-attitude-interview/5327/

Then there is this quote from Björn:

"...Well we had this wonderful letter from her. I framed it. Very sweet. Her assistant came over to Stockholm with a CD and we played it. And we thought the record was great. But also realising that without the 'Gimme! Gimme!' thing in it, it wouldn't have been so great. So we said, "Well, fine, of course you can. But we just split the copyright, half-half...""

Taken from https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/jul/13/popandrock.film

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Also here:

It's true back in 2005 Madonna's managers were Guy Oseary AND Angela Becker, so maybe she sent Angela to Stockholm.

But M herself was already flying back and forth to Sweden that year to edit IGTTYAS. So maybe she wasn’t there for that initial meeting, but met them at a later time?