Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

1 hour ago, Sheridan1980 said:

Physical attraction ??? This song was already rehearsed for the virgin tour, the blond ambition tour and the MDNA tour. Hope this time, she will be in the final setlist for the celebration tour. I love it so much 

The thing about a “deep cut” like this is that she’s only going to pull one out per tour per her track record. Maybe two if we are lucky. And they often end up being ballads.

Reinvention got “Lament”

Confessions got (arguably) the demo of “Erotica”

Sticky n Sweet got “You Must Love Me”

MDNA didn’t really get one.

Rebel Heart got “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore”

Madame X arguably got “American Life” (not performed in 20 years)

With this upcoming tour being Greatest Hits then I’d go in expecting one at most if we are lucky. 

13 minutes ago, DJ N A said:

The thing about a “deep cut” like this is that she’s only going to pull one out per tour per her track record. Maybe two if we are lucky. And they often end up being ballads.

Reinvention got “Lament”

Confessions got (arguably) the demo of “Erotica”

Sticky n Sweet got “You Must Love Me”

MDNA didn’t really get one.

Rebel Heart got “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore”

Madame X arguably got “American Life” (not performed in 20 years)

With this upcoming tour being Greatest Hits then I’d go in expecting one at most if we are lucky. 

MDNA had Cyberraga which in all fairness is a deeper cut than anything else on the list 🤣

8 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I believe this was the first time it was performed on the tour? | can't find the video where she gets overwhelmed and starts to cry though, was it the same night?

And as I've said before in other threads, I got WTG and ghosttown back to back along with Holiday acapella in Glasgow, that for me was a very memorable show indeed

Mexico night one she cried a lot and performed Ghosttown 

8 hours ago, deathproof said:

I would actually say that it does :) Had you attended in person, you would have witnessed a love fest. This was the tour where Madonna interacted with the audience the most. You would have witnessed the uproar from the crowd when she sang the opening line to Whos That Girl. You would have heard the screams and seen all the jumping when Deeper and Deeper was performed. On the nights when she sang Ghosttown, the audience sang along so loud it vibrated the arena. I could write a whole thesis about the beauty and simplicity of True Blue. So yes, you just had to be there to see how fun this tour was in person.

I personally don’t care if Madonna interacts with an audience or if there was vibe or how the audience reacted. That is simply not something I care about when attending a concert or a show. I think that is something that always needs to be considered.

Like I said before, there are certain aspects of a concert I focus on more than some other fans do. I couldn’t give less of a crap about whether the audience next to me was dead asleep or about to have an orgasm. I go to a show to see Madonna serving choreography, great visuals, story-telling and nice renditions of older songs along with a good selection of her most recent album.

Rebel Heart in my personal, very subjective opinion was lackluster in about every aspect that I care about. Did the audience enjoy it? Maybe. I don’t know. Would I have enjoyed it seeing it in person? Not at all.

5 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Now I am more than curious, @MPowered, do you know exactly which was the original early setlist for RHT??? Would love to know this info!!!

We can only speculate from little bits and pieces of information that was being teased or that is still traceable in the final show.

She teased most, if not every song on the setlist with an image seemingly hinting at placement on the setlist. Dress You Up was teased with a picture of Madonna wearing a flapper dress (seemingly hinting at the final segment). Deeper and Deeper was teased with an image of Madonna from the Take A Bow viewed. That seemed to point at a Latin rendition.

There was also apparently a full Sex/Religion segment before it got merged with the first section. The SEX interlude that was moved to a position where it made absolutely no sense had an entire video shot for it that was scrapped. There's only one frame of it left in the final version. That interlude was possibly meant as introduction for the Sex/Religion segment.

Who's That Girl was definitely a last minute addition.

Hold Tight, Like a Prayer and I believe Frozen were originally rehearsed for the opening segment.

Bitch I’m Madonna was originally somewhere in the closing section.

Don't Tell Me was part of the Rockabilly segment before being replaced with Deeper And Deeper. I also believe that Like A Virgin was part of the Sex/Religion segment and not the Rockabilly segment. That version made no sense in there sonically or in any way.

5 hours ago, DJ N A said:

We know that "Don't Tell Me," "Physical Attraction," and "Hold Tight" were rehearsed.

Physical Attraction was considered for MDNA as far as we know, not Rebel Heart.

17 minutes ago, scion said:

Wasn't Who's That Girl dropped because it generally fell flat in the audience? That was the consensus at the time. I loved it in Glasgow.

The rendition didn’t do the song justice. She should have dropped fucking Dress You Up and do a cute Flamenco version of Who's That Girl instead.

I also think Holiday as encore was beyond terrible. I think the 80s medley that was badly done in the Dress You Up rendition could have worked way better for the finale but with a song other than the overdone Helliday as encore. Maybe Everybody instead with a bit of Into the Groove or Lucky Star. As an ode to her Danceteria days.

28 minutes ago, MPowered said:

I personally don’t care if Madonna interacts with an audience or if there was vibe or how the audience reacted. That is simply not something I care about when attending a concert or a show.

You wouldn't know unless you have experienced it :) 

20 minutes ago, MPowered said:

We can only speculate from little bits and pieces of information that was being teased or that is still traceable in the final show.

She teased most, if not every song on the setlist with an image seemingly hinting at placement on the setlist. Dress You Up was teased with a picture of Madonna wearing a flapper dress (seemingly hinting at the final segment). Deeper and Deeper was teased with an image of Madonna from the Take A Bow viewed. That seemed to point at a Latin rendition.

There was also apparently a full Sex/Religion segment before it got merged with the first section. The SEX interlude that was moved to a position where it made absolutely no sense had an entire video shot for it that was scrapped. There's only one frame of it left in the final version. That interlude was possibly meant as introduction for the Sex/Religion segment.

Who's That Girl was definitely a last minute addition.

Hold Tight, Like a Prayer and I believe Frozen were originally rehearsed for the opening segment.

Bitch I’m Madonna was originally somewhere in the closing section.

Don't Tell Me was part of the Rockabilly segment before being replaced with Deeper And Deeper. I also believe that Like A Virgin was part of the Sex/Religion segment and not the Rockabilly segment. That version made no sense in there sonically or in any way.

Physical Attraction was considered for MDNA as far as we know, not Rebel Heart.

This is interesting, thank you. Iconic-Hold Tight (with the big drums we saw in the video from the workshop)-Frozen-Like a Prayer: WHAT A SET! And it actually makes sense a full Sex/Religion section considering the left out video backdrop.

10 minutes ago, deathproof said:

You wouldn't know unless you have experienced it :) 

I have experienced concerts by other artists and I can assure you: I really didn’t give a damn and I find it quite audacious to simply discredit someone's opinion on something just because they chose to watch the live recording  instead of attending it in person. I cannot afford Madonna's ticket prices, sorry.

I definitely wouldn’t have enjoyed the show more knowing I paid a fortune to see a terribly disjointed show with cheap and rushed song renditions and Madonna dressed like my abuela.

19 minutes ago, stefo said:

This is interesting, thank you. Iconic-Hold Tight (with the big drums we saw in the video from the workshop)-Frozen-Like a Prayer: WHAT A SET! And it actually makes sense a full Sex/Religion section considering the left out video backdrop.

My guess is that this was the setlist at an earlier stage (purely speculation):

1. Iconic
  2. Hold Tight
  3. Frozen
  4. Like A Prayer
  5. S.E.X. (Interlude)
  6. Holy Water / Vogue
  7. Devil Pray
  8. Like A Virgin OR Justify My Love (Whole Lotta Love)
  9. Living For Love
  10. La Isla Bonita (possibly?)
  11. Deeper And Deeper
  12. Messiah (Interlude)
  13. Body Shop
  14. True Blue
  15. Don't Tell Me
  16. HeartBreakCity / Love Don't Live Here Anymore
  17. Rebel Heart
  18. Illuminati (Interlude)
  19. Music / Candy Shop
  20. Material Girl
  21. Unapologetic Bitch
  22. Bitch I'm Madonna
  23. Holiday

Madonna herself said that halfway through rehearsals she realized that she needed to add more crowd pleasers and oldies. 

Burning Up, Dress You Up Medley, Who's That Girl and possibly Like A Virgin were the result of that.

16 minutes ago, MPowered said:

My guess is that this was the setlist at an earlier stage (purely speculation):

1. Iconic
  2. Hold Tight
  3. Frozen
  4. Like A Prayer
  5. S.E.X. (Interlude)
  6. Holy Water / Vogue
  7. Devil Pray
  8. Like A Virgin OR Justify My Love (Whole Lotta Love)
  9. Living For Love
  10. La Isla Bonita (possibly?)
  11. Deeper And Deeper
  12. Messiah (Interlude)
  13. Body Shop
  14. True Blue
  15. Don't Tell Me
  16. HeartBreakCity / Love Don't Live Here Anymore
  17. Rebel Heart
  18. Illuminati (Interlude)
  19. Music / Candy Shop
  20. Material Girl
  21. Unapologetic Bitch
  22. Bitch I'm Madonna
  23. Holiday

Madonna herself said that halfway through rehearsals she realized that she needed to add more crowd pleasers and oldies. 

Burning Up, Dress You Up Medley, Who's That Girl and possibly Like A Virgin were the result of that.

This sort of chronologizes the rumor as they occurred: http://rebel-heart-tour.kazeo.com/the-rebel-heart-tour-setlist-a119983236

I do recall that Addicted was supposedly going to be where Burning Up ended up being. No sense in me typing out any of the drafts listed above because the setlist order changed drastically as time went on with songs going in various sections.

Rumored interludes that didn't make the cut were Candy Shop, Between the Bars, Borrowed Time and Hold Tight

The RHT was so scattered in the end that the setlist felt half baked and ill conceived (opening section being a warrior, then Asian, then fire, then strippers and religion - 2nd section even more random). Hopefully there's a clear vision on this tour.

6 hours ago, dankpepe said:

This sort of chronologizes the rumor as they occurred: http://rebel-heart-tour.kazeo.com/the-rebel-heart-tour-setlist-a119983236

I do recall that Addicted was supposedly going to be where Burning Up ended up being. No sense in me typing out any of the drafts listed above because the setlist order changed drastically as time went on with songs going in various sections.

Rumored interludes that didn't make the cut were Candy Shop, Between the Bars, Borrowed Time and Hold Tight

The RHT was so scattered in the end that the setlist felt half baked and ill conceived (opening section being a warrior, then Asian, then fire, then strippers and religion - 2nd section even more random). Hopefully there's a clear vision on this tour.

Agreed. I also didn’t enjoy Rebel Heart in the same way as her previous tours; I wasn’t captivated. It was a combination of factors for me. From a personal perspective, I was surrounded by very jaded audience members who seemed disengaged and were casual admirers at best. The atmosphere was electric on the floor, but the surrounding sections just didn’t seem to feel connected to the same energy! That’s my personal gripe with the (Kia) Forum in LA, which is why I was disappointed that she switched from The Crypto to The Kia following her illness, and subsequent tour delay. Fortunately I’ll be close to the stage both nights I’m scheduled to see her, but there’s something about that arena that feels like a high school auditorium to me! 😂

The RH setlist should have been absolutely solid, but there were some real lulls. Iconic didn’t live up to its name. I found the cage underwhelming, the endless fabric spewing from her body was a travesty, and the clunky choreography was too simple, and she seemed to no longer have the agility to sustain the rhythmic punch that the song required. Deeper and Deeper suffered a similar fate. The medley was an absolute clunker to me; if she’d done it Marika-style, I’d have enjoyed it, but again, it felt like Madonna had no energy to deliver the effervescence the musical arrangement lacked. It dragged on in my opinion. Worst of all was Holiday. As a closer, it felt anticlimactic and uncelebratory. Her costume was also hideous. That’s the second time I was underwhelmed by Holiday, the first being Reinvention. I always felt those two shows were sisters in concept and delivery, except Reinvention had the benefit of Madonna in peak vocal form.  
On the other hand, there were some real high points with Devil Pray, Holy Water, True Blue, Heartbreak City/LDLHA, Like A Virgin, Living For Love, La Isla, Rebel Heart, Material Girl, La Vie En Rose…and, for those of us lucky enough to see them, Like A Prayer, Who’s That Girl and Ghosttown. Anything not mentioned I consider decent, but by Madonna’s standards, average. Rebel Rebel would have been a welcome addition had it been added long term to the remaining tour dates. 
There was no cohesiveness to the show. It was the first time (aside in part from Reinvention, although that tour at least offered consistent vignettes) where it felt like a mixed bag of performances thrown together. Not fleshed out. Random, and Madonna seemed slightly uninvested at times. In many ways like the album…As much as I think there is some truly great songwriting on Rebel Heart, it just falls slightly flat in certain ways as an era and concept. Of course this is totally subjective, and I have gone back and forth over the years about this! 😂 I have often come to the conclusion that the Rebel Heart tour was the first time we saw Madonna slowing down as a performer, and while the show is impressive, it failed to deliver the type of high octane experience that she kind of sustained or surpassed through MDNA. Poor Madonna! We have such high standards and hold crazy expectations of her! 

I am truly hoping for some great conceptual twists around nostagia and legacy on this next tour. Part of me is fearful that with current tours by Beyonce and Taylor Swift being so grandiose, we may be in for something more subdued, but whatever the outcome, I am ready to celebrate! I want to see the artistry in its full power!

3 hours ago, Alibaba said:

Agreed. I also didn’t enjoy Rebel Heart in the same way as her previous tours; I wasn’t captivated. It was a combination of factors for me. From a personal perspective, I was surrounded by very jaded audience members who seemed disengaged and were casual admirers at best. The atmosphere was electric on the floor, but the surrounding sections just didn’t seem to feel connected to the same energy! That’s my personal gripe with the (Kia) Forum in LA, which is why I was disappointed that she switched from The Crypto to The Kia following her illness, and subsequent tour delay. Fortunately I’ll be close to the stage both nights I’m scheduled to see her, but there’s something about that arena that feels like a high school auditorium to me! 😂

The RH setlist should have been absolutely solid, but there were some real lulls. Iconic didn’t live up to its name. I found the cage underwhelming, the endless fabric spewing from her body was a travesty, and the clunky choreography was too simple, and she seemed to no longer have the agility to sustain the rhythmic punch that the song required. Deeper and Deeper suffered a similar fate. The medley was an absolute clunker to me; if she’d done it Marika-style, I’d have enjoyed it, but again, it felt like Madonna had no energy to deliver the effervescence the musical arrangement lacked. It dragged on in my opinion. Worst of all was Holiday. As a closer, it felt anticlimactic and uncelebratory. Her costume was also hideous. That’s the second time I was underwhelmed by Holiday, the first being Reinvention. I always felt those two shows were sisters in concept and delivery, except Reinvention had the benefit of Madonna in peak vocal form.  
On the other hand, there were some real high points with Devil Pray, Holy Water, True Blue, Heartbreak City/LDLHA, Like A Virgin, Living For Love, La Isla, Rebel Heart, Material Girl, La Vie En Rose…and, for those of us lucky enough to see them, Like A Prayer, Who’s That Girl and Ghosttown. Anything not mentioned I consider decent, but by Madonna’s standards, average. Rebel Rebel would have been a welcome addition had it had been added long term to the remaining tour dates. 
There was no cohesiveness to the show. It was the first time (aside in part from Reinvention, although that tour at least offered consistent vignettes) where it felt like a mixed bag of performances thrown together. Not fleshed out. Random, and Madonna seemed slightly uninvested at times. In many ways like the album…As much as I think there is some truly great songwriting on Rebel Heart, it just falls slightly flat in certain ways as an era and concept. Of course this is totally subjective, and I have gone back and forth over the years about this! 😂 I have often come to the conclusion that the Rebel Heart tour was the first time we saw Madonna slowing down as a performer, and while the show is impressive, it failed to deliver the type of high octane experience that she kind of sustained or surpassed through MDNA. Poor Madonna! We have such high standards and hold crazy expectations of her! 

I am truly hoping for some great conceptual twists around nostagia and legacy on this next tour. Part of me is fearful that with current tours by Beyonce and Taylor Swift being so grandiose, we may be in for something more subdued, but whatever the outcome, I am ready to celebrate! I want to see the artistry in its full power!

Just in case, I guess you know Madonna is not 30 and a show like Rebel heart tour is still amazing for a woman who was already near her 60's? 

47 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Did you read what I wrote, or were you just anxious to react?

« seemed to no longer have the agility to sustain the rhythmic punch that the song required »

« I have often come to the conclusion that the Rebel Heart tour was the first time we saw Madonna slowing down as a performer, and while the show is impressive, it failed to deliver the type of high octane experience that she kind of sustained or surpassed through MDNA. »

10 hours ago, MPowered said:

I personally don’t care if Madonna interacts with an audience or if there was vibe or how the audience reacted. That is simply not something I care about when attending a concert…

Like I said before, there are certain aspects of a concert I focus on more than some other fans do.

Agree ❤️

1 hour ago, Sheridan1980 said:

« seemed to no longer have the agility to sustain the rhythmic punch that the song required »

« I have often come to the conclusion that the Rebel Heart tour was the first time we saw Madonna slowing down as a performer, and while the show is impressive, it failed to deliver the type of high octane experience that she kind of sustained or surpassed through MDNA. »

Yeah when I saw RH, I was like “who is that little old lady on the stage singing to karaoke versions of Madonna sings”?  

The musical direction was horrendous, first and foremost. 

14 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

Yeah when I saw RH, I was like “who is that little old lady on the stage singing to karaoke versions of Madonna sings”?  

The musical direction was horrendous, first and foremost. 

Really ? During the show in Paris I said to myself « OK she’s more cool than in MDNA Tour cause now she’s got nothing to prove but she still rocks »