Favorite Official Video from First Album?

Donna

Favorite Official Video from Debut album?   

61 members voted

1. 1. What is your favorite official video from the Debut Album?

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"Borderline" is obviously the best one but "Burning Up" has my vote cause she was ON FIRE.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e21vlcjuy7mdq2y31k

She didn't risk her life shooting that video to not vote it today.

I actually think Burning Up is the better video. There’s something so visceral about it. The whole Borderline package both song and video is Madonna winking to the general public, but actually Holiday did that better.  Burning Up is an authentic Madonna moment both song and visual. 
I think Madonna probably agrees. I’ve never felt she loves Borderline but she respects it’s importance in her journey. Whereas her love for Lucky Star, Holiday, Everybody, Physical Attraction and Burning Up is obvious to me at least. 

I picked Lucky Star because it’s the definition of iconic. It perfectly encapsulates her charisma and whole vibe from back then (in a much more professional manner than any of the visually similar but aesthetically inferior Holiday performances). It might be conceptually simpler than BU or BL but its simplicity is part of its charm.

Edited by MikeyK
Grammar 🤪 (see edit history)

Borderline is a classic, aged like fine wine (the Mary Lambert one that aged the best), it is her first big video in my opinion but the sheer power of Lucky Star takes my vote.

Few artists nowadays can make so much with just body language in a white background. I'll never forget the first time I saw it, I became a fan instantly. 

9 hours ago, steady75 said:

I actually think Burning Up is the better video. There’s something so visceral about it. The whole Borderline package both song and video is Madonna winking to the general public, but actually Holiday did that better.  Burning Up is an authentic Madonna moment both song and visual. 
I think Madonna probably agrees. I’ve never felt she loves Borderline but she respects it’s importance in her journey. Whereas her love for Lucky Star, Holiday, Everybody, Physical Attraction and Burning Up is obvious to me at least. 

I kinda felt she never liked Borderline as well.  For some reason, I always associated the fact since she didn't write it  she dismissed it.  But then again, she gives Holiday plenty of attention and she didn't write that.  :)

Yeah I don’t think she likes the message of Borderline . It’s a whiney, naggy, girly track that felt a bit off brand. You can see she wanted to try and spin that in the video which paints her as a much more independent wild child who can’t be tamed but the lyrics are a bit disempowering, whereas Holiday has much more of a positive spin. 
Madonnas no one’s prisoner and doesn’t need anyone to set her free. It’s one of the reasons the song has never clicked with me either. 

But "Borderline" was kinda meta for her when she did it? Jellybean being the Latin boyfriend and her success making him jealous cause he wanted her all for himself (was never gonna happen). I remember Mary Lambert talking about how it was her life back then or maybe I'm making that up?

In the end of the video she chooses friends and love above fame and money, bla bla, and she replicated that feeling during the early years: the end of "Material Girl", "Open Your Heart", etc. "I don't need money, I need LOOOOVE" on "The Virgin Tour", etc. It was an essential part of the persona she wanted to portray back then. Street girl, etc.

I think "Borderline", while basic of course, is a very good video. And of course technically is miles away (ahem) from all the other three. "Lucky Star" is sold completely on her charisma but there's literally nothing else there, "Everybody" doesn't really count and "Burning Up", again, her personality is pretty much the essence of it, but the effects and the budget are... well, that.

Yeah I get what you're saying but the "I don't want money" is the biggest lie she ever sold. She IS the Material Girl whether she likes it or not. I see you M the double bluff ain't working lol. aww I  love the effects in Burning Up. It's literally her only video that encompasses that New Romantic post punk new wave vibe of the early eighties and for that I LOVE it. and of course the Billie Jean comparison. 

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

But "Borderline" was kinda meta for her when she did it? Jellybean being the Latin boyfriend and her success making him jealous cause he wanted her all for himself (was never gonna happen). I remember Mary Lambert talking about how it was her life back then or maybe I'm making that up?

In the end of the video she chooses friends and love above fame and money, bla bla, and she replicated that feeling during the early years: the end of "Material Girl", "Open Your Heart", etc. "I don't need money, I need LOOOOVE" on "The Virgin Tour", etc. It was an essential part of the persona she wanted to portray back then. Street girl, etc.

I think "Borderline", while basic of course, is a very good video. And of course technically is miles away (ahem) from all the other three. "Lucky Star" is sold completely on her charisma but there's literally nothing else there, "Everybody" doesn't really count and "Burning Up", again, her personality is pretty much the essence of it, but the effects and the budget are... well, that.

Just watching Borderline you can tell more money was poured into it.  It really looked like a good story driven video.  As for Burning Up there is more of a rawness to it and low budget looking. But there's a bit more Madonna to it than Borderline.  I feel like we see who Madonna is in that video while in Borderline she's playing a character. 

Official video

The silhouette and the style that marked the memories... the beginnings of Madonnamania... she is about to rule the world:hearteyes:

Non official video

The first time I watched Holidays......heavy rotation on MTV.......loved the song, loved the style, loved the way she danced......forty years later, same feelings:heart:

Burning Up and Bordeline are also marvels:fantasy: