Opinions on Evita

Blue Skies

18 minutes ago, androiduser said:

but a tour two years after the album?

"I've waited years for this role, and I have to put every ounce of concentration into it. I love touring, and I very much want to go out with this album. But I can't—I'd be going straight from months on the road right into filming; I'd be exhausted and strained. It wouldn't be in the best interests of the movie for me to be at any less than my peak of energy" - ‘95

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19950323&id=crIcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kHwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6837,3323054

9 minutes ago, Mden said:

"I've waited years for this role, and I have to put every ounce of concentration into it. I love touring, and I very much want to go out with this album. But I can't—I'd be going straight from months on the road right into filming; I'd be exhausted and strained. It wouldn't be in the best interests of the movie for me to be at any less than my peak of energy" - ‘95

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19950323&id=crIcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kHwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6837,3323054

didn't know this, I thought the tour was just speculation at that point... Honestly, I didn't miss the Bedtime Stories tour at all, as I wasn't crazy about the album, but that's just me

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

An interesting era for her. Perfect timing with Lola and the lead up to ROL. The stars seemed extra aligned. It's wild to think it almost happened in 1990. Imagine going from Blonde Ambition to Evita to Erotica...

The Miami mix of DCFMA was really big on the radio here in NYC.

The only negative for me is that we didn't get a Bedtime Stories tour. And if I'm being really honest, her doing that album live + the classics...I would trade Evita for that.

Would trade a lot of things in her career for the BS tour.

I'm not huge on musicals, but of course, I thought Madonna looked and sang beautiful in it.  Like a few others mentioned,  it really comes off like one huge music video for Madonna which she is known to 'act' well in.  Personally, the movie was a bit boring to me. Still, it's Madonna and I love seeing her up on the big screen.  I was amazed with her death scene. From what I recall, they recorded vocals for that, but the scene was so intense and emotional, they decided to go ahead and film without miming the vocals.  Madonna really pulled it off.  There is no doubt, it's her most finest and respectable film performance.  She was born to play Eva.  She seemed to live and breath that part.  Of course, I'd be curious if she could have pulled it off if it wasn't a musical. 

35 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I'm not huge on musicals, but of course, I thought Madonna looked and sang beautiful in it.  Like a few others mentioned,  it really comes off like one huge music video for Madonna which she is known to 'act' well in.  Personally, the movie was a bit boring to me, but of course it's Madonna and I love seeing her up on the big screen.  I was amazed with her death scene. From what I recall, they recorded vocals for that, but the scene was so intense and emotional, they decided to go ahead and film without miming the vocals.  Madonna really pulled it off.  There is no doubt, it's her most finest and respectable film performance.  She was born to play Eva.  She seemed to live and breath that part.  Of course, I'd be curious if she could have pulled it off if it wasn't a musical. 

You are right babe. Some of the end scenes were filmed and recorded live. Very unusual for movies but you can tell and thats what hits you more. 'So what happens now? Where am I going to' Was live in a take. *cries*

12 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

Being still fairly new here I’m kind of surprised Evita doesn’t seem to come up all that much in the movie threads.  Or maybe it’s been beaten to death here in the past?  

But anyway I would think to the public that’s regardless as her best performance in the movies.  I mean she won a Golden Globe for it.

I was in middle school when it came out.  I remember an MTV special at the premiere of it but back then it bore no interest in me at all to watch it.  Even once I got more interested/liking Madonna this was never a movie at the top of my list to watch.  During the pandemic though I finally gave it a try.  Her performance was good but I thought the movie was all right.  My feeling was I didn’t know enough about Eva Peron to have strong feelings about it 

I love Evita.

I really like it. Not a huge musical theater fan but Evita was one of the few I did really like prior to the movie. I think she/they did a great job w/it overall.

Like others I saw it in theaters during its initial run. That was quite fun. The Waltz is my favorite moment by far. A New Argentina too. She handled the last segment quite touchingly.

Fun fact since it seems not many people are familiar w/the stage version. During The Rainbow Tour the one man sings, “she’s a lady of the new world with a golden touch.” In the original stage version it was, “she’s a new world Madonna with a golden touch.” Obviously they changed it, but I think it would have been cute to have left it in.

15 hours ago, deathproof said:

Evita is a glorified satirical take on Eva’s life as a whore. A whore who will stop at nothing to achieve success and power. Sleeping her way to the top, only to get more than what she bargained for. It’s humorous. 

The stage version was even harsher in that respect. The movie softened it a bit. The old broadway recording with Patti LuPone has her as a raving bitch.

When rumors came in early nineties that she was going to do Evita I started to listen to Andrew Lloyd Webber's music and became a great musical theatre fan and expert. I even played Magaldi in a regional production.

The day the movie came out I saw it 4 times in a row.

Together with Chicago it's one of the best movie musicals ever made. They generally don't work as movies, but Alan Parker made a masterpiece, more epic than the theatre version.

I love Evita, in Mexico Evita was premiered until march 97 in a theathers complex with small theathers with the best quality in audio, for me along with Something To Remember is the perfect combo for winter nights and I love this movie because Madonna is the star, if meryl strep or michelle pfiffer were the main caracthers I didn't bother to see this movie or listen the soundtrack

Saw it in a theater, liked it, tried to watch it on tv, cut it half way through. 

First i never understood why would someone make a musical about peronism with all the people that have been killed and disappeared under the reign of Peron. It is so cringe. I don't understand the lyrics to Don't Cry for Me Argentina either, they make no sense within the movie. As if she had been in exile and returned. 

It's kind of a misogynistic take on women of power too. Always blaming women who used their charms to go up the social ladder when no one blames the usually ugly rich old farts who use their money and power to get women they would never get otherwise.

And i don't like Andrew Lloyd Weber and Broadway musicals (with very few exceptions).

I also hate what it did to her voice.

She was good in it, especially the death bed scene, not lip synched (which should have been the same for the whole movie imo) although they could have gone without the brown contact lenses, they are so glassy she looks dead. 

Enjoyed it at the time but haven’t watched it in decades. Or listened to the soundtrack, for that matter. The best thing about it for me was that it was a time when the gp really started to like M again. I’ll never forget a magazine headline just before the film came out saying “Is it time to start liking Madonna?” Was the perfect set up for RoL and a total reinvention from Hollywood movie star to UK loving hippie.