Cherish

Kae-Leah Williamson

What's the dealio with M disliking this song? I admit the lyrics aren't high art, just standard love song stuff, but I still love this song, and I especially love the video and BAT tour performance. I'm biased because I love mermaids/mermen, my profile pic is literally me in a mermaid costume in a kiddie pool haha, and I actually thought that performance would be an easy one for her to re-create today as the mermen have all the challenging choreography, and all she did was sing, pose, strum on a harp, and touch them suggestively. 

She may not be fond of it, but it seems to be one of her most popular songs. I've heard it several times in my local grocery store. Maybe that's why she doesn't like it? Too tame and mainstream for her "artists are here to disturb the peace!" side? 

5 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

What's the dealio with M disliking this song? I admit the lyrics aren't high art, just standard love song stuff, but I still love this song, and I especially love the video and BAT tour performance. I'm biased because I love mermaids/mermen, my profile pic is literally me in a mermaid costume in a kiddie pool haha, and I actually thought that performance would be an easy one for her to re-create today as the mermen have all the challenging choreography, and all she did was sing, pose, strum on a harp, and touch them suggestively. 

She may not be fond of it, but it seems to be one of her most popular songs. I've heard it several times in my local grocery store. Maybe that's why she doesn't like it? Too tame and mainstream for her "artists are here to disturb the peace!" side? 

It’s a great song, but I think it’s just a fluffy song that might be hard for M to sing these days.

Remember the awful performance we got on the Blond Ambition Tour?

I do think it should be revisited. 

I could see Stuart Price doing an amazing updated remix for the track. :luv:

It was quite a big hit for her, peaking at #2 here in the States.

5 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

I think she got to a point that she feels she's "too cool" for the song. It hardly stands up lyrically to some of her other LAP tracks.  But I agree, it's a fun and cute song.  I think she was quite surprised that it did nicely as a single for her.  I'm sure she prefer some better written and more message driven songs to be more known by her than songs like this.  I do hope she performs it again one day.  I loved her performance of it on the BAT!  She was having so much fun with it and she sounded cute singing it.

As a mermaid cosplayer myself, I was always very impressed by that performance on BAT as the dancers managed to pull off some cute and fun choreography. Mermaid tail costumes are VERY hard to move in, so one has to be very creative with choreography, and BAT did that well. I love seeing two things I like combined, and that performance combines old-school Madonna with merfolk. 

12 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

As a mermaid cosplayer myself, I was always very impressed by that performance on BAT as the dancers managed to pull off some cute and fun choreography. Mermaid tail costumes are VERY hard to move in, so one has to be very creative with choreography, and BAT did that well. I love seeing two things I like combined, and that performance combines old-school Madonna with merfolk. 

It’s just too kitsch/Vegas for me.

2 hours ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

I wondered about Sean...but I wasn't sure about the timeline if it makes sense for it to be about him. I know True Blue's about him, but at the time the LAP album was written, wasn't the divorce almost final...?

I thought it was around Like a Prayer era?

In LAP you have ' Cherish and Till Death Do us Part. The both sides of what was going on.

I think with age ( maturity) her love songs are less about the infatuation and more about the aftermath.  And the ones like 'Masterpiece '  tend to be more poetic rather than pop histrionic.

I do believe her vocal style and pitch is not the same.

While fluffy and cute, the lyrics really read into the love and longing someone has for another.  It can go either way, really sad or really fluffy and upbeat.  Frankly I love the fluffiness of it, and the melody and all the instrumentation that comes along with it.  But lyrically it can be quite sad for me. You can cherish the thought of always having someone here by your side... but what if they're gone? It can be quite sad and tragic if you wanted to go that route. She could definitely make it dark. But that would be awfully disappointing LOL