Boy George about Madonna

True Blue 84

14 hours ago, Confessions Lightside said:

Why should I care about what a One-Hit-Wonder thinks about the Queen of Pop Madonna?

That's really harsh because Boy George is more than just a one-hit wonder, they had real cultural relevance for some time. But the bitterness is thick.

Don't do too much drugs people, they make you sad.

So sad that his ego has triggered the need to lash out at her publicly, but I can understand that it would be triggering to be a landmark cultural figure of the 1980s - yes, he actually was and anyone denying this simply doesn’t know their history - and to be invited backstage after attending her concert and be ignored. Let’s be honest. Madonna has a reputation for being a cunt and I don’t know why we collectively want to pretend that she’s this pious wallflower who never hurt a fly. It’s absolute revisionism to ignore that she was known to be cold and unpleasant to people since her earliest taste of fame. I’m sure she has evolved a great deal, but I’m also sure she can still be a handful from an egoic perspective. That said, who knows what Boy George has done to incur her wrath or rejection over the years? Perhaps she doesn’t feel the need to forgive him for all the awful things he’s said about her since the mid-80s. He was a heroine addict for years, and addicts can be quite cruel and show a total lack of humanity when in the doldrums of dependence. He still sees this part of himself as being part of an act, but he wasn’t in control of his life during his heyday.

Strangely, he has posted Madonna clips to his IG stores for the past few years, and as recently as 2019 he appeared on Andy Cohen’s show claiming that he was a big fan of her work and has always bought all of her records, and in 2021 he was quoted as saying he was embarrassed by his imaginary feud with her due to his addictions, blaming his hostility on his cartoon-like 80s persona. In 2014, he told The Huff Post: "I've said awful things about Madonna and I’m not proud of that at all — I’m really not proud of that because I didn’t know her."

He still doesn’t know her, but has jumped to a conclusion with her because of his interpretation of her behavior backstage at her own concert where she was probably distracted by a million things. He had expectations, and she didn’t fulfill them. Anyone who has a hint of self-awareness would acknowledge that it’s his responsibility to manage this. Expectation always leads to disappointment! Sometimes we forget that it isn’t because we’ve forgiven ourselves that others feel a need or desire to return the favor. 

3 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Madonna has a reputation for being a cunt

Thing is that in the 80s and 90s, up to recently, when a female member of the entertainment industry said "no", she would be called a cunt anyway.

Young M probably had a sassy and temperamental way of relating to other people professionally but the whole "cunt" thing is a bit tired now. It understates bad intentions, bad values, bad taste in human behaviour that don't really apply to her in retrospect. Being driven involves breaking some conventions, people will call you a cunt for that. Being a celebrity will make people jealous, they'll call you a cunt.

I'm not minimizing the petty things we all do. We all do petty things. Tell the rain not to drop.

42 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Thing is that in the 80s and 90s, up to recently, when a female member of the entertainment industry said "no", she would be called a cunt anyway.

Young M probably had a sassy and temperamental way of relating to other people professionally but the whole "cunt" thing is a bit tired now. It understates bad intentions, bad values, bad taste in human behaviour that don't really apply to her in retrospect. Being driven involves breaking some conventions, people will call you a cunt for that. Being a celebrity will make people jealous, they'll call you a cunt.

I'm not minimizing the petty things we all do. We all do petty things. Tell the rain not to drop.

Yes. I’m aware that women can be and often are held to a double standard. However, her reputation has followed her well beyond her youth, and if others are guilty of bad intentions, bad values, and bad taste in human behavior, she most definitely isn’t impervious to these same human limitations. I could list countless examples of Madonna’s failure to be gracious and generous at different stages in her career. It doesn’t make me disrespect her. I understand the human dynamics of fame, wealth, and privilege. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to navigate not falling into the darker recesses of it all. The entertainment industry is rife with narcissists. We celebrate the ones we love and are profoundly irked by those we don’t. We are all mirrors as human beings, and it’s certainly true that if you ask a person who they idolize, you will get a window into their soul. Madonna has transcended so much of her past, and she represents a plethora of positive and enlightened aspects of soul growth, but as a public figure, you carry the weight of your legacy. With her, it is a paradox because - and perhaps I didn’t make this clear in my original post - as longtime fans we love her sass and quick wit. Boy George fans feel the same way about him from what I’ve understood. We all pit celebrities against each other. Mariah, Janet, Taylor, Cher, Beyonce, Elton, Joni Mitchell etc. It’s  a way to live out aggressions we would never want to express to the people we actually have access to in our lives. It’s a way to feel validated in our personal beliefs. Our entire culture is based upon this; the concepts of sacrifice and conflict are inherent to human society. Madonna has played the role of human punching bag for decades due to her outspokenness. Being a cunt is really just a figure of speech. It isn’t necessarily an insult either. 😂

25 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Yes. I’m aware that women can be and often are held to a double standard. However, her reputation has followed her well beyond her youth, and if others are guilty of bad intentions, bad values, and bad taste in human behavior, she most definitely isn’t impervious to these same human limitations. I could list countless examples of Madonna’s failure to be gracious and generous at different stages in her career. It doesn’t make me disrespect her. I understand the human dynamics of fame, wealth, and privilege. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to navigate not falling into the darker recesses of it all. The entertainment industry is rife with narcissists. We celebrate the ones we love and are profoundly irked by those we don’t. We are all mirrors as human beings, and it’s certainly true that if you ask a person who they idolize, you will get a window into their soul. Madonna has transcended so much of her past, and she represents a plethora of positive and enlightened aspects of soul growth, but as a public figure, you carry the weight of your legacy. With her, it is a paradox because - and perhaps I didn’t make this clear in my original post - as longtime fans we love her sass and quick wit. Boy George fans feel the same way about him from what I’ve understood. We all pit celebrities against each other. Mariah, Janet, Taylor, Cher, Beyonce, Elton, Joni Mitchell etc. It’s  a way to live out aggressions we would never want to express to the people we actually have access to in our lives. It’s a way to feel validated in our personal beliefs. Our entire culture is based upon this; the concepts of sacrifice and conflict are inherent to human society. Madonna has played the role of human punching bag for decades due to her outspokenness. Being a cunt is really just a figure of speech. It isn’t necessarily an insult either. 😂

While I agree with a lot of what you say, but I never recall Madonna publicly bashing another entertainer.  The times she has said a few choice words, they were pretty tame and carefully worded.  That's the huge difference between Madonna and a lot of these entertainers who fly off the handle, saying pretty nasty remarks about others.  I have no doubt, when around some of these individuals who have publicly bashed her, she didn't act somewhat snotty or bratty to give them such impressions of her.  Then again, she always seemed to me to be a very brash and assertive gal. I think she has a wicked sense of humor and that may also play against her when meeting or interacting with certain individuals.  In some case, she may felt threatened herself and rather stay under the radar, she may have said and done things in their presence that rubbed them the wrong way. I can see that of Madonna.  However, and like I mentioned before, I don't really recall her publicly bashing others like many of her.  I mean; Elton has given her plenty of opportunity to lash out publicly about him, but she really hasn't.  Even when she was told at the Golden Globes what Elton said of her, she took it as more of words of banter and competition.  But I'm sure in person she probably dangles a bratty attitude in person with them that we've never seen either.  Still for me, Madonna wins when it comes to this situation because she doesn't normally go low or retaliate (at least publicly) towards these people who bash her.  She may do so within her own circle, but she doesn't do it publicly.  Her and Boy George obviously personally clashed and it seems to me Madonna doesn't even pay him any attention.  Possibly in a few years, she might get a fire up her ass to do an autobiography and spill more beans that these individuals aren't telling themselves that warrant Madonna privately acting the way she does toward them.  I doubt it though!

48 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I think I've heard those comments before, are we sure this is new, not something from back in the day? Sad and desperate, either way. He's a fan who can't get over the fact she doesn't pay attention to his antics.

I think that's the case here.  I think some (including the source article that started this conversation) is mixing up what he said in his new book Karma which is a new autobiography where he mentions Madonna and how he once felt about her.  The original article is trying to narrate as if this is how he feels now.  I think he's come to terms to the man he used to be and his negative thoughts of Madonna.  Not to say that Madonna didn't provoke him to feel jealously and hatred towards her, but I believe he's come to terms to his own doings. 

17 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

In a recent radio interview Boy George said some nasty things about Madonna.

Does he ever gonna stop? What an attention ***** 

https://www.hln.be/celebrities/boy-george-spreekt-klare-taal-over-madonna-ze-is-een-afschuwelijk-vreselijk-mens~a6d82d86/

Some things he said:

“She is a horrible, horrible human being with no redeeming qualities.”

“It's too late to reconcile,” he said in an interview with 'Heart Breakfast'. “I think we are all very selective about what we remember. People remember things the way they want, as long as you do it with a sense of humor. I just say honestly what I think of her... And comparing Madonna with Marilyn Monroe is like comparing Raquel Welch (an actress, ed.) with the back of a bus.”

“Madonna and I will never be friends. That is already far too late.” When asked if he was worried about what Madonna would say if she found out, he fired back: "No, I hope she writes something about me, but she won't." Indeed, the pop star has never publicly commented on Boy George's statements.

thoughts?... 

You're being selective about your news source here, probably because you have a personal agenda?

Firstly, the above is a collection of mostly very old quotes by George (some around 20 years old, in fact).

George is a fascinating artist and personality and, while flawed, has made a lot of positive changes in his life.

Today, he is much more philosophical and good-natured about his association with M.

He has always been a huge fan of hers and even attended her Celebration Tour.

M has admitted that she has found George to be intimidating, and for good reason.

It's probably the reason she ostracised him at her party circa the early '90s, which is where the friction started.

The moral of the story is to do your research and not resort to basic bitchery.

4 minutes ago, Starchild said:

The same could be argued regarding all organised religions, lol...

Of course. But that one is particularly bad. I know a guy who grew up in it and whose father benefitted financially at the top of the chain. The people that prance and chant on the street are complete suckers. It’s strange that it has such a reputation as being so wholesome…