New York City, USA [Sept 16th/17th/19th]

groovyguy

Debi Mazar Verified account
â€@debimazar Debi Mazar 
Last nite @Madonna gave me such a moving dedication #TrueBlue  I got misty! 

Debi Mazar Verified account
â€@debimazar Debi Mazar 
Last nite @Madonna gave me such a moving dedication #TrueBlue  I got misty! 

oh my gosh I feel like gonna crying...over 30 years friendship...

so touching..

Shots of the stage from the part of Barclay's where they don't have drywall above in the hallway its just pipes and ceiling. You can really see the balls drop with the curtain. From way up in 'look at this stage's cock', nowheresville, pop:zero, an observant fan might notice a petite female scale a giant ladder like a spider monkey a good while before the lights dim. After that it just gets better and better and better. Rebel Heart forever.

• 2 weeks later...
Madonna -- I Have Questions for You About Your Rebel Heart Tour
Posted Image
Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour stage at Madison Square Garden on September 16, 2015

Madonna -- The Queen of Questions.

I've always wondered how musical tours work.

Have you ever been so excited that the top of the "excitement" meter blows off and you're super calm? And then you start to worry because something ALWAYS goes wrong...?

That's exactly how I felt when I found out I was actually going to MAKE IT to see Madonna in concert 25 years after I saw her live at her Blond Ambition tour.

Even though I was on the train, ON TIME, heading to Madison Square Garden in New York City to see Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour, the world around me was a blur. Nothing was going wrong, which turned the anxiety level up a notch -- because until I was sitting IN my stadium seat, something COULD go wrong.

But nothing did. That's because Madonna is a perfectionist.

Madonna, here are my burning questions...

QUESTION #1:

It was brilliant to have comedian Amy Schumer open for Madonna. Who actually comes up with the short list of people to open for such big acts? Who has the final say? Like, did Madonna herself ask for Amy or did one of Madonna's people come up with the idea? Someone, please tell me how it works!

By the way, Amy Schumer KILLED it. She stayed on longer than her allotted time since Madonna wasn't ready yet. Or was that planned?

QUESTION #2:

So there I was, sitting all by myself next to a guy sitting all by himself. (Some things you just HAVE to do by yourself.) Next thing I know, people in another section are screaming but I couldn't figure out why. I had to go to trusty Twitter and bam! J.Lo was in the house! (I found out later that Ariana Grande was also there.)

Did J.Lo have to purchase a ticket like everyone else or did her camp somehow get her a ticket? How do these things work? I didn't hear Madonna acknowledge J.Lo or Ariana Grande, so did Madonna know ahead of time that they were in the audience?

QUESTION #3:

The set, as simple as it was, was extraordinary, complete with "secret" openings to slip underneath the stage. Perfect for those quick costume changes and drinks of water.

As I was sitting in my seat waiting for Amy Schumer to come on, I was watching the setup. On either side of the stage, two guys were hoisted up into the sky on what appeared to be a chair. I quickly called my utility friend, Debbie, who told me that they are lighting people who somehow manage to stay up there throughout the whole show -- how do they go to the bathroom?! Actually, I don't want to know.

So how about these questions instead:

How long does it take to build the same set over and over again at different venues? How much manpower is needed? And what REALLY goes on underneath the stage?

What questions do YOU have about musical tours?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...