1. 1. best greatest hits package

• you can dance
    • immaculate collection
    • something to remember
    • GHV2
    • GHV2 REMIXED
    • CELEBRATION
    • Holiday Collection
    • FINALLY ENOUGH LOVE (hahaha i forgot about this)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I don't know what you gays stay on about regarding the "errors" of Celebration. Do you listen to it on something other than Spotify? I've listened on Spotify a million times and never noticed anything off. Sounds great.

Pretty sure that's in regards to the physical releases that were originally released in 2009, not the current streaming versions. They've probably have since fixed said errors for the streaming version, but of course everybody is still "hung up" (pun intended) about the past. :Madonna031:

3 hours ago, Velvet Rope said:

Pretty sure that's in regards to the physical releases that were originally released in 2009, not the current streaming versions. They've probably have since fixed said errors for the streaming version, but of course everybody is still "hung up" (pun intended) about the past. :Madonna031:

The streaming version has issues too, cause some of them were never fixed. But of course some people are better at not noticing than others, plus equipment, earphones, etc.

In the end some people just don't care about audio, just the songs, and that's fine. Which is not an excuse for the record company to do things right and release a quality product.

About the compilations, "The Immaculate Collection" will never not be ICONIC.

1 hour ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I feel like if you answer The Immaculate Collection, you're kind of old. It only covers her second-worst decade, and Celebration and FEL are so much better.

I voted Immaculate Collection, not because they’re my favorite songs, but because it’s the most cohesive package and shows the most effort. Sheep’s touch on all the songs made them all fit together and make sense. It’s a high energy album and the new songs are just as good as everything else. Can’t say that about any of the others, even if I like the songs on some of the others better. 

14 hours ago, steady75 said:

Correct answer: She is yet to release a definitive package and there isn't even a single disc for the casuals to even cover the titan signature songs in her catalogue. I think streaming has been around long enough now to give us a good metric of which songs from her catalogue have stood the test of time

Single Disc - Streaming dominance

1. Holiday
  2. Like A Virgin
  3. Material Girl
  4. Crazy For You
  5. Into The Groove
  6. Live To Tell
  7. Papa Don't Preach
  8. La Isla Bonita
  9. Like A Prayer
  10. Vogue
  11. Take A Bow
  12. Frozen
  13. American Pie
  14. Music
  15. Hung Up
  16. Sorry
  17. 4 Minutes
  18. Bitch Im Madonna
  19. Popular

Double Disc - Streaming dominance

1. Holiday
  2. Borderline
  3. Like A Virgin
  4. Material Girl
  5. Crazy For You
  6. Into The Groove
  7. Live To Tell
  8. Papa Don't Preach
  9. True Blue
  10. La Isla Bonita
  11. Who's That Girl
  12. Like A Prayer
  13. Express Yourself
  14. Vogue
  15. Justify My Love
  16. Take A Bow
  17. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  18. Frozen

1. Ray Of Light
  2. The Power Of Goodbye
  3. American Pie
  4. Music
  5. Die Another Day
  6. Hung Up
  7. Sorry
  8. Jump
  9. 4 Minutes
  10. Give It 2 Me
  11. Celebration
  12. Give Me All Your Luvin
  13. Girl Gone Wild
  14. Living For Love
  15. Ghosttown
  16. Bitch Im Madonna
  17. Medellin
  18. Popular

In the streaming age songs that fail to make the cut (in order)

1. open Your Heart
  2. Don't Tell Me
  3. Justify My Love
  4. Get Together 
  5. Beautiful Stranger
  6. Hollywood
  7. Rain 
  8. Secret
  9. Dress You Up
  10. I'll Remember
  11. Cherish
  12. You'll See
  13. Miles Away
  14. Burning Up
  15. This Used To Be My Playground
  16. Deeper & Deeper
  17. Drowned World
  18. What It Feels Like For A Girl
  19. Angel
  20. Lucky Star
  21. Revolver
  22. Human Nature
  23. Erotica

I'd truly love it if there was a site that combined like for like unit sales / digital sales and stream equivalent so we could get a real picture but in the streaming age these are her biggest hits. Of course we have to adjust for streaming being the primary platform for anything released 2012 onwards really.

i always listen to EROTICA and the whole album religiously...... huhuhuhuhuuhhu erotic.....

Something to Remember is a gorgeous album. I used to listen to that every night in bed. Along with Prince’s Emancipation.

Nothing can beat The Immaculate though. I don’t care that it contains remixes. Some of those remixes have become more iconic than the original versions. The artwork is also mega iconic. Rather than Celebration she could have done an expanded version with a variation of the same artwork. Kind of like both Queen and Abba have done with their compilations. Celebration is an awful compilation and tour name. Imagine ‘The Immaculate World Tour’ :lord:

The Immaculate Collection was an event and corresponds to an era in Madonna’s career. To a lesser degree, Something To Remember shares this characteristic. There was a concept behind both of them, and the quality shows. No subsequent collection has had this type of impact. TIC may not be comprehensive, but it is a Madonna album through and through. The gorgeous art direction and design remain the very best in her illustrious career in my opinion. The mixes that appear on TIC became the definitive versions for the masses. 

You Can Dance gets an honorary mention for nostalgia, but it covers a very short period of time in M’s career. 

Finally Enough Love was a noble effort in design and concept, but it fell short with the poor selection of edited mixes, and the lack of insight that should have been included through journalistic writing about the history of Madonna, dance music, DJ’s and the evolution of club mixes. The artwork was below standard for the scope of the project, particularly considering it was her first major legacy release. I still fail to understand how people get excited to collect rainbow colored vinyl and such. That has no value to me compared to the input and conceptual wealth of TIC, STR or YCD. 

Celebration served as a decent selection of her greatest hits with a few unforgivable omissions and inclusions, but without a major upscaling of the tracks and the relative banality of both the packaging and the new songs in comparison to the regal powerhouses that were Justify My Love and Rescue Me - Mr. Brainwash was nothing more than another investment scam commercial artist lacking the cultural nuance and gravitas that Madonna’s career retrospective deserved, and while the song Celebration is a decent tip of the hat composite to all things Madonna, Revolver is frankly a travesty with hindsight - the entire project fell flat and sold poorly too, which seemed shocking even in the era of digital music considering it was a definitive greatest hits package from the top selling female artist of all time.

GHV2 is an abomination and has been erased from all memory. I don’t know anyone who has that album or refers to it in any way. 

I always forget about GHV2. I think I listened to it twice.

@WokeUpInMedellin You are talking about a following from the 80s until now. I guess if you are 20 something now it sounds kind of old for you.

For the fans that enjoyed the most interesting evolution and  strongest eras of Madonna, TIC is really relevant and representative. It came at a time when the aesthetics in music were really important. Videos, fashion, Record design. And Madonna (and her team) were great at it.

I don't listen to Celebration much only when I feel like playing  it on vinyl. It feels long and boring at some points. I can't stand Revolver and being the last of side D i can skip it. But the most part of the flow does'nt work for me and I skip songs. It's a good compilation? probably ..but I never feel any excitement about it.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Something to Remember is a gorgeous album. I used to listen to that every night in bed. Along with Prince’s Emancipation.

Nothing can beat The Immaculate though. I don’t care that it contains remixes. Some of those remixes have become more iconic than the original versions. The artwork is also mega iconic. Rather than Celebration she could have done an expanded version with a variation of the same artwork. Kind of like both Queen and Abba have done with their compilations. Celebration is an awful compilation and tour name. Imagine ‘The Immaculate World Tour’ :lord:

eemanvipastioooooon... FREEE to do what i want.....

13 hours ago, Prayer said:

The streaming version has issues too, cause some of them were never fixed. But of course some people are better at not noticing than others, plus equipment, earphones, etc.

In the end some people just don't care about audio, just the songs, and that's fine. Which is not an excuse for the record company to do things right and release a quality product.

About the compilations, "The Immaculate Collection" will never not be ICONIC.

It does. Music is a song that I skip or don't pay much attention but I purposely played it in Spotify from Celebration and from Music one after another. And it has a muddy echo or weird loudness about it. Sounds blotchy. I think some (younger) crowd are used the Celebration version by now or maybe the noise style of the sound hide it for some. But the album version is far much cleaner .

14 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

It does. Music is a song that I skip or don't pay much attention but I purposely played it in Spotify from Celebration and from Music one after another. And it has a muddy echo or weird loudness about it. Sounds blotchy. I think some (younger) crowd are used the Celebration version by now or maybe the noise style of the sound hide it for some. But the album version is far much cleaner .

I'm always surprised to discover how forgotten "Music" is. Its streaming numbers, barely 78M on Spotify, for probably the #1 song of year 2000 and a monster hit worldwide, is incredibly low.

Of all her #1 hits, apart from "Playground" for obvious reasons, it seems to be the most forgotten one. "Take A Bow" is lower but that was a hit only in the US.

Sometimes I wonder if the "Celebration" version of "Music", full of glitches, is partially to blame for that. It's not really one you want to come back to, not a good listening experience.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

I'm always surprised to discover how forgotten "Music" is. Its streaming numbers, barely 78M on Spotify, for probably the #1 song of year 2000 worldwide, is incredibly low.

Sometimes I wonder if the "Celebration" version, full of glitches, is partially to blame for that. It's not really one you want to come back to.

My experience with Spotify (that I started using more often in the last year) is that they always push the same songs. Even if I liked others.

I keep press to listen La Isla Bonita, Hung Up, Vogue, 4 Minutes, Frozen Mix and Like a Prayer. Recently they are playing D&D and NRM, I believe because the tour.

But my top picks like Rescue Me, Open Your Heart.. never show on playlist or recommendations even if I play them .

18 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I don't know what you gays stay on about regarding the "errors" of Celebration. Do you listen to it on something other than Spotify? I've listened on Spotify a million times and never noticed anything off. Sounds great.

CD babe. This was 2009. Spotify wasn’t what it was then.

I know I compiled a double disc of her biggest streaming singles but the truth is streaming is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Celebration is the go to album for the general public. Outside of that it’s This Is Madonna. 

There are no songs from Erotica on This Is Madonna apart from Rain. Which is no doubt why it’s her most streamed track from the album. 
Erotica the lead single doesn’t even appear on the list. People also don’t listen to entire playlists or albums so streams always fall to the front loaded tracks. 

This also probably accounts for Jumps great streams. 
True Blue and Confessions are the only albums where all the singles are featured. (Plus the only non single on the playlist Forbidden Love)

Artists literally have the ability to rewrite the history of their own singles in many ways and this can be done by streaming playlists. 

Do Deeper and Deeper suffers from not being on either This Is Madonna or Celebration when it’s 100% one of her best tracks and a clear fan favourite. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Best Greatest Hits Package