1. 1. best greatest hits package

• you can dance
    • immaculate collection
    • something to remember
    • GHV2
    • GHV2 REMIXED
    • CELEBRATION
    • Holiday Collection
    • FINALLY ENOUGH LOVE (hahaha i forgot about this)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immaculate Collection most definitely is top tier for the time it was released, but if you're looking for a compilation that pretty much includes all her biggest hits, CELEBRATION is the album to go with.  It just misses a few key hits, but those aren't really known to the general public as most of the ones that were included. Also, I feel FEL is a great companion piece to Celebration.  In fact, it very much can act like a Greatest Hits set of her dance hits!

For me You can Dance is more of a remix dance compilation than a Greatest Hits. The Holiday Collection was just an extended EP so I don't really consider that a GH's.

Then there is Something To Remember which is much like what FEL is but for her ballads.  A wonderful collection of her Ballads up to that point in time.

At the end of the day, if I was going to recommend any compilation that includes most of her hits, I would suggest CELEBRATION.  But if they are looking for specifics such as just ballads, Something To Remember would be great.  If they are looking for just the dance hits, FEL would be great.  And of course, Immaculate Collection is essential for the 80's.

23 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Then there is Something To Remember which is much like what FEL is but for her ballads.  A wonderful collection of her Ballads up to that point in time.

i really wouldnt compare STR to FEL since the only song remixed was LDLHA. the rest of STR was the album/single versions. all of FEL were either in their remixed form or their 7" single edit

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

i really wouldnt compare STR to FEL since the only song remixed was LDLHA. the rest of STR was the album/single versions. all of FEL were either in their remixed form or their 7" single edit

I wasn't making a comparison of the two.  I only meant Something to Remember is a collection of her ballads as  FEL is a collection of most of her dance hits.   Depending on what one might be wanting to dive into, STR would be a great suggestion if you would want to hear many of her greatest ballads (up til 95) and FEL would be a great suggestion for someone was looking for a collection of just her biggest dance hits.

55 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Immaculate Collection most definitely is top tier for the time it was released, but if you're looking for a compilation that pretty much includes all her biggest hits, CELEBRATION is the album to go with.  It just misses a few key hits, but those aren't really known to the general public as most of the ones that were included. Also, I feel FEL is a great companion piece to Celebration.  In fact, it very much can act like a Greatest Hits set of her dance hits!

For me You can Dance is more of a remix dance compilation than a Greatest Hits. The Holiday Collection was just an extended EP so I don't really consider that a GH's.

At the end of the day, if I was going to recommend any compilation that includes most of her hits, I would suggest CELEBRATION.  But if they are looking for specifics such as just ballads, Something To Remember would be great.  If they are looking for just the dance hits, FEL would be great.  And of course, Immaculate Collection is essential for the 80's.

ADDED FEL hahahaha i forgot about this one

56 minutes ago, McDonna said:

so she covered ballads and dance hits ..... great... i hope theres an acoustic album or sorts but that's american life i guess

16 minutes ago, gst6662000 said:

so she covered ballads and dance hits ..... great... i hope theres an acoustic album or sorts but that's american life i guess

What's nice is if someone is just looking for an essential 80's collection.... there's IC

If they are looking for a 90's collection, then there is GHV2

If they are looking for something that covers pretty much all her biggest hits, there's CELEBRATION

If they are looking for some of her best ballads up to 95, then there is STR

If they are looking for just the dance hits, there's FEL

She's covered most of the basis, but then again, these days with streaming and digital files, we all can just make our own BEST OF if we want.  At this point, unless you are offering something that isn't already available Greatest Hits are most obsolete these days since we can easily make our own BEST OF on our own.

I think it depends on if you are a hardcore fan or a general fan.

When I first got into M, it was during the Celebration era (I'm only 29, so I missed the golden years). I figured "Well, I've heard shes got some great songs, so let me give it a listen", and then I immediately fell in love. However, after becoming a hardcore fan, the obvious most important collection of hers is The Immaculate Collection, as I consider it the pop Bible.

That being said, I'm still going with Celebration. The mastering errors are egregious and some song choices are questionable, but I don't think the general public would think twice in those regards. I don't think they'll say "I can't believe they included Miles Away instead of Deeper and Deeper". I think the general public took it as a reflection of one of the greatest artists of our lifetime, and as a potential invite to explore her discography (as it encouraged me to do!)

Just my opinion, I'm open for healthy debate :)

13 minutes ago, sdvsr2fan said:

When I first got into M, it was during the Celebration era (I'm only 29, so I missed the golden years). I figured "Well, I've heard shes got some great songs, so let me give it a listen", and then I immediately fell in love. However, after becoming a hardcore fan, the obvious most important collection of hers is The Immaculate Collection, as I consider it the pop Bible.

That being said, I'm still going with Celebration. The mastering errors are egregious and some song choices are questionable, But I don't think the general public would think twice in those regards. I don't think they'll say "I can't believe they included Miles Away instead of Deeper and Deeper". I think the general public took it as a reflection of one of the greatest artists of our lifetime, and as a potential invite to explore her discography (as it encouraged me to do!)

Totally agree!  While a lot of us fans know Deeper and Deeper is an essential hit of hers, but most of the GP wouldn't remember as much as most of the other biggest hits on there.  At this time, CELEBRATION is that essential collection that really defines all her eras pretty well and include the major hits people love to hear from her. But like you said IC is the iconic Bible of a Greatest Hits if you aren't looking for anything beyond Justify My Love!

54 minutes ago, sdvsr2fan said:

That being said, I'm still going with Celebration. The mastering errors are egregious and some song choices are questionable, but I don't think the general public would think twice in those regards. I don't think they'll say "I can't believe they included Miles Away instead of Deeper and Deeper". I think the general public took it as a reflection of one of the greatest artists of our lifetime, and as a potential invite to explore her discography (as it encouraged me to do!)

hope for the future..... SHE is so high on spotify for an 80s artist higher than JLO, JANET, CYNDI, BJORK, ROXETTE, WHITNEY, PRINCE, CHER even MARIAH...only  MJ surpassed her I HAVENT checked yet

Celebration is almost perfect. If the audio quality was better and the correct single mixes used, it would've been sensational. 

Give It 2 Me should've replaced Miles Away

I'll Remember should've replaced Who's That Girl. The Power Of Good-bye could've worked here too. Maybe You'll See.

Deeper And Deeper should've been on there instead of Everybody.

That would've been a perfect compilation.

Correct answer: She is yet to release a definitive package and there isn't even a single disc for the casuals to even cover the titan signature songs in her catalogue. I think streaming has been around long enough now to give us a good metric of which songs from her catalogue have stood the test of time

Single Disc - Streaming dominance

1. Holiday
  2. Like A Virgin
  3. Material Girl
  4. Crazy For You
  5. Into The Groove
  6. Live To Tell
  7. Papa Don't Preach
  8. La Isla Bonita
  9. Like A Prayer
  10. Vogue
  11. Take A Bow
  12. Frozen
  13. American Pie
  14. Music
  15. Hung Up
  16. Sorry
  17. 4 Minutes
  18. Bitch Im Madonna
  19. Popular

Double Disc - Streaming dominance

1. Holiday
  2. Borderline
  3. Like A Virgin
  4. Material Girl
  5. Crazy For You
  6. Into The Groove
  7. Live To Tell
  8. Papa Don't Preach
  9. True Blue
  10. La Isla Bonita
  11. Who's That Girl
  12. Like A Prayer
  13. Express Yourself
  14. Vogue
  15. Justify My Love
  16. Take A Bow
  17. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  18. Frozen

1. Ray Of Light
  2. The Power Of Goodbye
  3. American Pie
  4. Music
  5. Die Another Day
  6. Hung Up
  7. Sorry
  8. Jump
  9. 4 Minutes
  10. Give It 2 Me
  11. Celebration
  12. Give Me All Your Luvin
  13. Girl Gone Wild
  14. Living For Love
  15. Ghosttown
  16. Bitch Im Madonna
  17. Medellin
  18. Popular

In the streaming age songs that fail to make the cut (in order)

1. open Your Heart
  2. Don't Tell Me
  3. Justify My Love
  4. Get Together 
  5. Beautiful Stranger
  6. Hollywood
  7. Rain 
  8. Secret
  9. Dress You Up
  10. I'll Remember
  11. Cherish
  12. You'll See
  13. Miles Away
  14. Burning Up
  15. This Used To Be My Playground
  16. Deeper & Deeper
  17. Drowned World
  18. What It Feels Like For A Girl
  19. Angel
  20. Lucky Star
  21. Revolver
  22. Human Nature
  23. Erotica

I'd truly love it if there was a site that combined like for like unit sales / digital sales and stream equivalent so we could get a real picture but in the streaming age these are her biggest hits. Of course we have to adjust for streaming being the primary platform for anything released 2012 onwards really.

12 hours ago, McDonna said:

Totally agree!  While a lot of us fans know Deeper and Deeper is an essential hit of hers, but most of the GP wouldn't remember as much as most of the other biggest hits on there.  At this time, CELEBRATION is that essential collection that really defines all her eras pretty well and include the major hits people love to hear from her. But like you said IC is the iconic Bible of a Greatest Hits if you aren't looking for anything beyond Justify My Love!

You are of course correct. Immaculate is perfection but you can't really compare 26 tracks with 17 so Celebration really does win hands down. It is actually Immaculate collection (minus Rescue Me) plus another 19 tracks so it's hard to argue otherwise. 

What local would pick up a modern day Madonna hits collection and not expect to hear 

1. Frozen
  2. Ray Of Light
  3. Music
  4. Hung Up

maybe even Take A Bow stateside. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Best Greatest Hits Package