For Inspiration? - Madonna's Inspiration For Her Art

Alpha

So since Madonna always had really good references...sometimes they are a bit obscure or sometimes they are very obvious. I would like this thread to be for people to post what they think or have found to be the source of her references!

Edited by RUADJAI
Updated title to not be vague (see edit history)

The inspiration behind Erotica/Sex is so vast but definitely an interesting one is Warhol. The graphic design was done by Fabien Baron who worked at that time for Interview magazine which was Andy's so they shared alot of the same aesthetic and graphics. Even the font used for Erotica's album cover and used in Sex was Warholian...it was actually based off Andy's mother! The album cover also seems to be based on Liza's cover on Interview. The font for Deeper and Deeper even seems to be a nod to Andy's design for the Velvet Undergroud's album.

CxgRj2MUQAA36Xy.jpeg

1341771238 (1).jpg

Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

After the cover of the Hard Candy album that left many fans, like me, dissatisfied due to its simplicity and lack of originality, Madonna decides to surprise this time with the cover of her next album (Mdma) using a photo of her but with a special fragmentation effect or vertical lines that resulted in a unique and quite striking cover.

Curiously, 5 years earlier, an unknown Chilean artist named Sergio Lagos had released an album with a fairly similar cover. Looking at the photos, the resemblance is undeniable, so we can come to the conclusion that Madonna was inspired by this Chilean artist for the cover of her album Mdma. Because inspiration doesn't always come from world-famous artists or works. And this could be a good example of that.

madonna-mdna-sergio-lagos-solo-parecido.thumb.jpg.e6c7de0cd6e4e9c86701ea09a5d21627.jpg

48 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

After the cover of the Hard Candy album that left many fans, like me, dissatisfied due to its simplicity and lack of originality, Madonna decides to surprise this time with the cover of her next album (Mdma) using a photo of her but with a special fragmentation effect or vertical lines that resulted in a unique and quite striking cover.

Curiously, 5 years earlier, an unknown Chilean artist named Sergio Lagos had released an album with a fairly similar cover. Looking at the photos, the resemblance is undeniable, so we can come to the conclusion that Madonna was inspired by this Chilean artist for the cover of her album Mdma. Because inspiration doesn't always come from world-famous artists or works. And this could be a good example of that.

madonna-mdna-sergio-lagos-solo-parecido.thumb.jpg.e6c7de0cd6e4e9c86701ea09a5d21627.jpg

Give me a break. Diffraction has been around like FOREVER since photography started.

5 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Possibly! I wonder who that photographer was for his album cover? She couldve easily seen work of the photographer and liked it or maybe Mert did. Ironically enough I feel Kyle's album Kiss Me Once had a very similar aesthetic behind glass although not fragmented.

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

Possibly! I wonder who that photographer was for his album cover? She couldve easily seen work of the photographer and liked it or maybe Mert did. Ironically enough I feel Kyle's album Kiss Me Once had a very similar aesthetic behind glass although not fragmented.

The photographer behind the glass idea is Erwing Blumenfeld, Mert & Marcus get heavily inspired but other great photographers.

That chilean guy use the same reference.

Erwin-Blumenfeld-Fashion-Photography-2.jd00f24ed96b23ce42f094b40b9f68729.jpg8d6ea211fc4237101f219d1baa817af9.jpg

Bedtime Stories has lots of different references.

The movie: The Colour of Pomegranates" you can see here with Vogue over it for whatever reason:

Paintings:

The Ends of the Earth (1949) by Leonor Fini

L’Amitié (1958) by Leonor Fini

Vision Roja (1984), by Leonor Fini

Naked man,1991-92) by Lucien Freud

Los Amantes, by Remedios Varo

Nacer de Nuevo (1960) by Remedios Varo

La Llamada (1961) by Remedios Varo

Creación de las Aves (1958) by Remedios Varo

The Giantess (1950), by Leonora Carrington

Diego y Yo (1949). by Frida Kahlo

7W5PV99n7DkN2u0eBcu28fN5Gbt1yCxEH0gNI4d75745db3ef31f69032aaaf11380595889.jpgtumblr-lodnknqkfs1qzse0lo1-1280.jpgFreud_Naked%2520Man.jpg?itok=ZHdqjJpRce72a50a30c4496ee28387356e1d6789.jpgj1scf7ny19c21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a2014.155.jpgeyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJbaby-giant-leonora-carrington-1947.jpgdiego-and-i.jpg

• RUADJAI changed the title to For Inspiration? - Madonna's Inspiration For Her Art